Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Reganovski wrote: »
    F**k!! :mad::mad: Bought it off ebay from America. :mad::mad:

Is there anyway I can tell what version/firmware it is on in its current state?

Yes, goto Settings/General/About, scroll down and post the Version and Modem Firmware.

You want to see 3.0.1 and 04.26.08, if you don't then you need to activate the phone using the home network SIM, i.e. AT&T for a US phone and then use a piggy back sim (bypass sim card over the top of your on AT&T sim) to use the phone in Ireland using an other carrier.

Piggy back sim are not great but some are better than others.

My thoughts would be to put the locked phone into a drawer and wait patiently for the iphone dev team to come up with a solution :(

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

scottyboy wrote: »
    Yes, goto Settings/General/About, scroll down and post the Version and Modem Firmware.

You want to see 3.0.1 and 04.26.08, if you don't then you need to activate the phone using the home network SIM, i.e. AT&T for a US phone and then use a piggy back sim (bypass sim card over the top of your on AT&T sim) to use the phone in Ireland using an other carrier.

Piggy back sim are not great but some are better than others.

My thoughts would be to put the locked phone into a drawer and wait patiently for the iphone dev team to come up with a solution :(

Unfortuntely I can't go to Settings/General/About as at the moment I have the "No SIM card Installed" notice and the emergency call thingy. Cant activate it on home sim either :(

Any word on a jailbreak/unlock from dev team? Its been a while since the update and no word :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Doh! Sorry, I always forget that you can't get past this page without an activation.

Honestly, be patient and dev team will come up with a fix. I was in the same position in Dec last year with an iPhone 3G that was locked to AT&T in Dublin! No AT&T sim and basically a €300 brick. The unlock that was promised at the time was going to be no use to me as I had already upgraded to the new baseband that the dev team said would not be cracked.

Then on New Year's Eve they posted that the new baseband had been cracked after all and they released the unlock (yellowsn0w) on New Year's Day. My phone was saved!! Ever since, I have been very careful when updating. I am sticking to 3.0.1 until any new fix has been well tested.

Every new 3GS will be in the same position as you so they will come up with a fix in the next month or so. Don't worry, you have not wasted your money but may just have to wait a little while before you can enjoy it!

scottyboy wrote: »
    Doh! Sorry, I always forget that you can't get past this page without an activation.

Honestly, be patient and dev team will come up with a fix. I was in the same position in Dec last year with an iPhone 3G that was locked to AT&T in Dublin! No AT&T sim and basically a €300 brick. The unlock that was promised at the time was going to be no use to me as I had already upgraded to the new baseband that the dev team said would not be cracked.

Then on New Year's Eve they posted that the new baseband had been cracked after all and they released the unlock (yellowsn0w) on New Year's Day. My phone was saved!! Ever since, I have been very careful when updating. I am sticking to 3.0.1 until any new fix has been well tested.

Every new 3GS will be in the same position as you so they will come up with a fix in the next month or so. Don't worry, you have not wasted your money but may just have to wait a little while before you can enjoy it!

I'm sure they'll come up with a unlock but its just frustrating I can't sort it now :(
    This is my second iPhone and I think when I got the last one (2G) there was an unlock sorted the day I recieved the phone so fingers crossed there will be one soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

TBH I'd return it while you can. If you return it now, you could at least put the money towards a legit iPhone contract-free from O2. If you wait for an Unlock, then you'll lose any chance to return the phone and you'll be left with a brick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 orangeparrot

Hi Guys,

I'm on 3.0 at the moment, jailbroken.
    Do you think its worth upgrading to 3.1.2 at the moment?

Does anybody have any ideas on the battery life?

Cheers

In my opinion, battery life is a lot better..I have never seen battery life as good as I have it on the iPhone. My iPhone, which usually would be now around 65% while on 3.0, is now at 81% :) That's with being on for 12 hours and with medium use :)

Cool thanks I may give it a go later.

What would be the best way to backup my jailbroken apps?
    I have the installer app which will backup the packages.
    Is there anything to backup jailbroken apps settings? :)

Nope..nothing to backup the settings afaik!

Was meaning to do a clear up anyway :)

No news of 3.1.3 anytime soon? Don't want to have to re-jailbreak again haha

• Advertisement

Sorry one more last question :S

If I jailbreak it so the firmware has the older bootloader.
    Then put in an o2 sim and activate it so push will work.
    Will it update the bootloader to the newer, unlockable version?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Just for anyone who may be looking at Jbing their iphone, I did it yesterday on firmware 3.1.2 on the new 3GS.

I used Blackra1n with this howto guide http://wickmanstudios.com/content/view/26/1/

Worked a charm and was all over in 30 secs.

Sorry one more last question :S

If I jailbreak it so the firmware has the older bootloader.
    Then put in an o2 sim and activate it so push will work.
    Will it update the bootloader to the newer, unlockable version?

Thanks

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with the bootloader. If you are on O2 anyway then you needn't worry about the bootloader :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

So here's what I'm thinking of doing

Getting someone in the states to purchase a $699 iPhone from the apple store through their buy it as a gift thing.

Bring it home (still locked to AT&T apparently).

Somehow make my o2 sim card work on it.

So assuming it comes with firmware 3.1, is it possible to actually "jailbreak" it? (I don't have a mac, I use a PC). I don't want to be left with a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Getting someone in the states to purchase a $699 iPhone from the apple store through their buy it as a gift thing.

So assuming it comes with firmware 3.1, is it possible to actually "jailbreak" it? (I don't have a mac, I use a PC). I don't want to be left with a brick.
    possible to jailbreak it yes.

possible to software unlock? not yet.

jailbreak and unlocking are two different processes.

unlocking is not possible without jailbreak, unlocking isn't guaranteed if jailbreak exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Just upgraded a 3Gs to 3.1.2, no probs.

History:

Was on 3.0, JB'd & unlocked

Process:

1) Used PKG Backup to backup cydia apps, then synced with itunes for all the regular apps and stuff.
    2) Got hold of a 3.1.2 custom firmware file (don' have a mac)
    3) Shift restore in itunes, pointed itunes at custom firmware.
    3) Restored from backup in itunes, all appstore apps, music etc restored.
    4) Installed PKG Backup from cydia and ran the restore option, and bing, all cydia apps restored. Only the apps though, no settings etc.

First time i'd used PKG backup to restore, was wary if it would actually do the job. Did the job very well, saved alot of messing and time. When u use it to backup the apps, it seems to store the source info for all apps its backs up in a contact on the phone. After u run the backup, u sync in itunes, the contact gets backed up. Then when u restore from the backup after the update, the contact is written back to the phone, and all u do is reinstall pkg backup, run the restore option and it just puts everything back..sweet :D

does this PKG backup software preserve ultrasn0w?

or did you have to manually have to install ultrasn0w again?

does this PKG backup software preserve ultrasn0w?

or did you have to manually have to install ultrasn0w again?

ultrasn0w is installed through cydia, so pkg backup simply restores\reinstalls it like any other cydia installed app.

from what I can make out it doesn't backup the apps as such, it records the app source. A restore involves downloading each app and installing it. That's why no settings are restored. All it does is automate the installation of all your cydia apps in one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Ok I am sitting here looking at a brand spanky new 3gs 16gb from o2 that I need to unlock for use with my vodafone sim?

I have tried PurpleRa1n on my macbook but it just hangs with the picture of the guy and I have to reset, can someone help me as I am totally confused:confused:

I was also wondering can i restore this later when this handset is avail on vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

hi - first of all I would check what firmware and baseband the phone is running. Chances are the phone has come installed with 3.1.2 with the latest baseband which means you cannot unlock it...

to check go to settings>general>about>

reply back with your version and modem firmware version and maybe we can help more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

unable to check it as it is stuck at insert sim or emergency call only? I think this is where I am stuck :(

I was also wondering can i restore this later when this handset is avail on vodafone?
    nope unfortunately not.

apple record all the IMEI numbers and what carrier they belong to. so you can't buy an iPhone off one official carrier like AT&T and use it on another official carrier O2 without unlocking it.

sara, if you check back about 2 pages you should see I'm in the same state as you. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do except wait till the boys on iphone dev team provide us with an unlock :(

having a problem updating to 3.1.2

i have pwnage tool v3.1.4 and the iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw file made from pwnage tool.

pwnage asks me if my phone has been pwned before and i say yes (pwned at v3.0) and i get nothing. i then repeat everything and say yes and pwnagetool tries to put the iphone into DFU mode. it hangs here with the busy circle just spinning and spinning.

i canceled that and put the phone into DFU mode manually, holding down power and home button for 10 seconds. then went to itunes and done option+click restore and pointed it to the iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw file but get an error saying that this is not a certified ipsw file.

i'm running itunes 9.0.1 and running OS X 10.6.1.

anyone any ideas?

go and get yourself a O2 PAYG SIM, at least you can then activate the phone and check what firmware and baseband your on. The other option is to download a custom jailbreak 3.1.2 ipsw that does not need offical carrier activation - use google to find it, and then restore using this firmware on Itunes. You will still not be able to unlock but at least you can get into the phone to check versions etc.

unable to check it as it is stuck at insert sim or emergency call only? I think this is where I am stuck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

menuisier wrote: »
    Hey im currently on 2.2 is the only way to upgrade to 3.0 is to restore the phone in itunes i.e lose all my text messages, apps etc?

Hi lads,

Im just getting back into upgrading iphones ater a while off this thread. Reading the above, will this defo not leave my phone as a iPaperweight or iBrick as it used to be put?!!

Im 1st gen 2.1.1 Voda

If it's from America you need to unlock it to work on any network here, even O2. There is no unlock available yet for any new iPhone 3GS and there is no jailbreak for new iPhone 3GS's either so you'd be essentially left with a brick.

If you're going to pay $700 for an iPhone from the US, why don't you just buy an official one here?

Right folks, this is the story.
    I got my iPhone 3GS from the states and thought I was in trouble as it was updated to 3.1 firmware.
    However last night I did a bit of searching and decided to download a custom firmware from the net. So I updated/restored my iphone using itunes and after a while the phone returned and it was jailbroken :)
    So I checked the fireware etc and I saw this (see attached)
    I said woppeee I can unlock which i did using ultrasn0w from Cydia. Put the sim in and sent a text message and recieved a text message!! Wopppeee!!
    Connected to wifi no problem woppeee!!

Now I havent had too much time to play with it as it was late when I got it unlocked but one thing I noticed was that the vodafaone name was not showing in the signal part. Is this right for unlocked phones?
    Not sure what the signal was like either cos I think it disappeared once or twice but I'm in a bad area for a signal too. So is my phone fully unlocked?

losing the carrier logo is a byproduct of upgrading the firmware without upgrading the baseband i think, its only cosmetic in any case. There is an app in cydia that allows you to put it back.

you're fully unlocked.. ;)

• Advertisement

didnt know that, thanks. The app is called MakeItMine. Just used it to put 3 back in as my carrier, works great

Gryzor wrote: »
    losing the carrier logo is a byproduct of upgrading the firmware without upgrading the baseband i think, its only cosmetic in any case. There is an app in cydia that allows you to put it back.

you're fully unlocked.. ;)

Advertisement