Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

chave wrote: »
    thanks again for the advice man.

kinda getting cold feet though. read on few other forums that
    in some cases it may not be possible to restore and make everything better
    if the phone has a meltdown.

might just leave it and hope apple decides to accept better apps for the store.
    I mean id imaging changing backgrounds/themes will deffo come in but sure we'll see.

cheers
    What? Where did you read that? It's always possible to restore..unless you've actually done physical damage to the phone.

It's doubtful that these apps will be accepted to the AppStore because Apple only releases certain APIs to developers. There are certain parts of the iPhone that Apple won't let developers access whereas developers on Cydia can access those parts.

I've had my iPhone jailbroken for nearly 2 years now and I've had no problem from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

What? Where did you read that? It's always possible to restore..unless you've actually done physical damage to the phone.

It's doubtful that these apps will be accepted to the AppStore because Apple only releases certain APIs to developers. There are certain parts of the iPhone that Apple won't let developers access whereas developers on Cydia can access those parts.

I've had my iPhone jailbroken for nearly 2 years now and I've had no problem from it.

saw it here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=528457

last post (http://www.iphonefanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663)

the fact that some people are saying it can perm wreck the phone is troubling me.

can anyone say for sure that jailbreaking etc can never wreck your phone beyond the point where a restore doesnt fix it???

thats the deal breaker question for me if im to go ahead with it!!

i have a new 3gs by the way so not just talking about the older models where it may work perfectly
    like when you update on itunes do they not see that the phone is jailbroken ie can the phone not tell apple
    then when you go for support even if you call from a re-unjailbroken phone, the technician would see it was previously jailbroken or/and is it a case
    where you have to go to dev team all the time after apple issues new updates and if the dev team cannot create
    a new jailbroken update are you not scr*wed????????????

thanks

saw it here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=528457

last post (http://www.iphonefanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663)

the fact that some people are saying it can perm wreck the phone is troubling me.

can anyone say for sure that jailbreaking etc can never wreck your phone beyond the point where a restore doesnt fix it???

i have a new 3gs by the way so not just talking about the older models where it may work perfectly

thanks
    To be honest, I have never heard of a iPhone breaking because of jailbreaking and not being able to restore it. Like one of the MacRumours Posters said, as long as you use Redsn0w, you'll be fine. Also, the "voids your warranty" argument is not the best considering that if you restore the phone, there is no evidence of it ever being jailbroken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

like when you update on itunes do they not see that the phone is jailbroken ie can the phone not tell apple
    then when you go for support even if you call from a re-unjailbroken phone, the technician would see it was previously jailbroken or/and is it a case
    where you have to go to dev team all the time after apple issues new updates and if the dev team cannot create

i have a G5 mac OSX and 3gs ( so purplera1n wont work cause it requires intel based mac).

anyone used it on 3gs with RedSn0w and on a g5 ? any issues???

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Dude, I had an iPod Touch for the last year and a half and was dubious about JailBreaking it. Recently I bought an iPhone and Jailbroke it, no problems, it works perfectly well. You have nothing to worry about. It's all software, you can restore if you have problems, software cannot cause physical damage, which has been said above is the only thing that will stop you restoring.

• Advertisement

i have a G5 mac OSX and 3gs ( so purplera1n wont work cause it requires intel based mac).

anyone used it on 3gs with RedSn0w and on a g5 ? any issues???

thanks
    Nobody wants to say that it 100% won't brick a phone but not once have I ever heard of it happening and it won't happen if you do the jailbreak right. If you go wrong somewhere, you can still restore and start over again.You can see in this thread and forum that everyone has pretty much done it and it's worked great for them.
    Apple have no way of checking if you're iPhone is jailbroke through iTunes. Any information sent to them (if you've opted in to sending them information) is anonymous. They don't know if your iPhone is jailbroken unless you actual go into Apple HQ in Cork and scream "My iPhone is jailbroken"

If Apple issues an update, you can choose to update with them (You'll lose the jailbreak though) through iTunes or you can wait for the Dev-Team.

You are thinking way too much about this!

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys I need some help here , I was trying to upgrade my Nephews 2G from 1.1.1 to 3.0 , But have got stuck . Itunes gives me the following :

error231.jpg

Any ideas ?? Anyone want to have a go @ fixing it ??:(

Have you tried maybe restoring it while in DFU Mode instead of Recovery Mode?

I can't remember it all too well (It doesn't help that UPC is crap and won't let me on American sites) but to get into DFU mode:

(While the iPhone is plugged in to your laptop while on iTunes and while powered on)
    Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake Button for 10 seconds.
    After 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button but keep your finger on the Home Button till iTunes comes up saying "iPhone detected in Recovery Mode"

If you did it right, the screen will be off but it will still be detected in Recovery Mode. If the screen is on and shows the iTunes logo then you've it wrong and are just in Recovery Mode. Turn it off and try again.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Have you tried maybe restoring it while in DFU Mode instead of Recovery Mode?

I can't remember it all too well (It doesn't help that UPC is crap and won't let me on American sites) but to get into DFU mode:

(While the iPhone is plugged in to your laptop while on iTunes and while powered on)
    Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake Button for 10 seconds.
    After 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button but keep your finger on the Home Button till iTunes comes up saying "iPhone detected in Recovery Mode"

If you did it right, the screen will be off but it will still be detected in Recovery Mode. If the screen is on and shows the iTunes logo then you've it wrong and are just in Recovery Mode. Turn it off and try again.

Tried that , still no joy !:mad:

Maybe try upgrading to 2.0 first and then to 3.0. Go to iClarified.com (I'd link you but I can't get on it) and there is a page there (I'd say in iPhone Tutorials) that has a link to all the firmware files to download. Just download 2.0 and then install it on the iPhone.

To install it on the iPhone, when it's connected to iTunes and in Recovery Mode, SHIFT+CLICK "Restore" and you'll be allowed choose a your 2.0 file to Restore from.

• Advertisement

Maybe try upgrading to 2.0 first and then to 3.0. Go to iClarified.com (I'd link you but I can't get on it) and there is a page there (I'd say in iPhone Tutorials) that has a link to all the firmware files to download. Just download 2.0 and then install it on the iPhone.

To install it on the iPhone, when it's connected to iTunes and in Recovery Mode, SHIFT+CLICK "Restore" and you'll be allowed choose a your 2.0 file to Restore from.

Yeah , tried that . Totally bricked !

sharkman wrote: »
    Yeah , tried that . Totally bricked !
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

If it was any use and you are able to get the phone into dfu mode via whatever way or using one of the previous pwnage apps I could give you a link to one of my previous custom restore ipsw's (iPhone1,1 2.1 5F136) and then do the 'shift/click in iTunes and choose it to restore and if that works set up the iphone as new.

Thanks guys , I got it to work . I tried the upgrade directly to 3.0 and it locked up again, with the error message . Got to DFU mofe and ran yellowsnow , hey presto .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hey all, i'm working through the jailbreak tutorial here. I'm at the stage (after restoring the OS. Its asking me do i want to set it up as a new phone or do a backup. Which is best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

quarryman wrote: »
    Hey all, i'm working through the jailbreak tutorial here. I'm at the stage (after restoring the OS. Its asking me do i want to set it up as a new phone or do a backup. Which is best?
    set up as new phone , people are having problems with texts and short battery life when restoring from backup , i personally had these problems. nightmare trying to figure it out..

set up as new phone , people are having problems with texts and short battery life when restoring from backup , i personally had these problems. nightmare trying to figure it out..

great stuff thanks.

it seems backgrounder does not work, the first app i tried to install! It seems to require the OS to be < 3.0. Anyone got it working on a 3GS?

There are 2 Backgrounder apps. One is for anything below OS3.0 and one is specifically for 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The 1st Time I JB'd my iPhone I restored. The second time I set it up as a new phone. never noticed any difference to be honest.

• Advertisement

ah thanks! did a search there and 2 showed up, working perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

ok.. another batch of stupid questions.

I have a iphone 3g running 3.0.1 firmware

1. Can I jailbreak it yet?
    2. when i go to iclarify the only firmware like is for 3.0
    when i download this in zip format and unzip it i dont see the files that are shown in the iclarify tutorial. there is no .ipsw file showing at all ... why?
    3. So am I stuck? or can i reverse the firmware update or where can i download the 3.0.1 files needed and do i just follow instructions when i do this

1) Yep you can jailbreak 3.0.1

2)You can download the 3.0.1 firmware here and the iClarified Tutorial is here. The 3.0 tutorial will work with the 3.0.1 firmware.

ok i have downloaded firmware from link but when i unzip I still see no .ipsw file. Among the files i have after unzip in a folder called Firmware and inside it 2 futher folders called 'all_fash' and 'dfu' there are serval other files .dmg and .plist names but none that resemble the single file on the tutotial:(

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

irish1967 wrote: »
    ok i have downloaded firmware from link but when i unzip I still see no .ipsw file. Among the files i have after unzip in a folder called Firmware and inside it 2 futher folders called 'all_fash' and 'dfu' there are serval other files .dmg and .plist names but none that resemble the single file on the tutotial:(

don't unzip the file, it's already got .ipsw extension, use it as it is :P

Yep Rai is right. You don't unzip the .ipsw file that you just downloaded.

The downloaded file is called

iPhone1,2_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.zip

When I hit shift and restore in itunes no file shows up to select. Did a system search for any .ipsw files and non appear (except a fiel for Ipswich Town.. but thats another story :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

When I hit shift and restore in itunes no file shows up to select. Did a system search for any .ipsw files and non appear (except a fiel for Ipswich Town.. but thats another story :) ).
    Where did you get the .zip file....you need to download the .ipsw file which you can get from iClarified here

aha! figured it out... winrar automatically changed it to a zip file. I just changed the file type manually to .ipsw and it is showing now. ok

right .. onwards I go !!

Thanks for the help. I'll let ya know what happens

• Advertisement

Try renaming the file. Replace .zip with .ipsw

Advertisement