Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Excellent. All done.

If u r running 3.0.1 you have to download the 3.0 firmware and use it with redsn0w when asked to browse for firmware. now all seems fine.

So basically now I just sync my phone using itunes and I should be back where I started except that my iPhone is now jailbroken? Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Im a bit confused,

im running 3.01, so I have to download 3.0 now in order to jailbreak?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Im a bit confused,

im running 3.01, so I have to download 3.0 now in order to jailbreak?

Yeah. believe me if you read back a few posts I was a complete and I mean complete novice at this a few hours ago but it is easy. I downloaded both 3.0.1 and 3.0 this morning. When the tutorial told me to hold down the shift and Restore in itunes i selected the 3.0.1 firmware and when redsn0w asked me to browse I selected the 3.0 firmware.

The difference bewteen the 2 is minimal and redsn0w doesn't yet recognise 3.0.1. I followed the tutorial step by step and it worked fine.

I am actually all pleased with myself right now..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah. believe me if you read back a few posts I was a complete and I mean complete novice at this a few hours ago but it is easy. I downloaded both 3.0.1 and 3.0 this morning. When the tutorial told me to hold down the shift and Restore in itunes i selected the 3.0.1 firmware and when redsn0w asked me to browse I selected the 3.0 firmware.

The difference bewteen the 2 is minimal and redsn0w doesn't yet recognise 3.0.1. I followed the tutorial step by step and it worked fine.

I am actually all pleased with myself right now..:D

yeah but is it actually necessary to download 3.0?

Yeah. I think so. I tried with 3.0.1 first and redsn0w didn't recognize it. U have to have the 3.0 firmwear in the pwnage folder for redsn0w to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

i didn't upgraded to 3.0.1 , i think the aim of the new soft is to prevent from malicious sms, couldn't figure out, why you have to upgrade to 301and then reflash the iPhone with 300 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

From the horses mouth
    Recycling goodness*
    Short version:

You can re-use redsn0w v0.8 we released a few weeks ago to jailbreak today’s 3.0.1 update. *Just let iTunes update or restore you to official 3.0.1 then run redsn0w. *The only “trick” is that when redsn0w asks you to identify the IPSW used, point it at the 3.0 IPSW instead of the 3.0.1 one. * After the jailbreak, reinstall ultrasn0w 0.9 if you need the unlock.

More details:

The 3.0.1 release is a “branch” from 3.0 that occurs (code-wise) before all the 3.1 betas. *The programs redsn0w needs to change for the jailbreak are identical when you compare the 3.0 and 3.0.1 versions. *It seems pretty much the only changes Apple made were for the SMS bug, which affects programs that redsn0w doesn’t touch. *That’s why you can re-use redsn0w 0.8 on 3.0.1 even though it was written for 3.0.*

And since 3.0.1 doesn’t touch the baseband either, ultrasn0w 0.9 works for those needing the soft unlock. *Just install it from the repo666.ultrasn0w.com repository using Cydia as usual.

We’ll at some point fix redsn0w to recognize both 3.0 and 3.0.1 IPSW’s, but really that’s the only change that would be made to it. *Everything else would be identical, so there’s no need to wait for the “proper” version that recognizes the 3.0.1 IPSW as valid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does anyone know if updating to 3.0.1 removes app/programs installed while jailbroken?

i.e. Do you need to reinstall jailbroken stuff again after running redsn0w?

Not gonna bother updating if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Dades wrote: »
    Does anyone know if updating to 3.0.1 removes app/programs installed while jailbroken?

i.e. Do you need to reinstall jailbroken stuff again after running redsn0w?

Not gonna bother updating if that's the case.

Don't bother updating then Dades....

Yes, you need to re-install your jailbroken stuff again.
    Once you update to 3.0.1 you have to jailbreak again, hence re-installing any Cydia apps which you had on there previous to upgrading.

Cool, thanks - one more thing...

SBSettings is the only cydia installed app I use, but I have another large app that I installed via an .ipa file using my jailbroken setup. Will this disappear too with an update?

(The app still appears in my iTunes, but the iPhone did require some messing before it would install on it.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

An update will wipe nearly everything on the phone. Any unauthorised IPA or jailbroken apps will be deleted when you update

For that large app.. (I have a 1.65gb one) could you just move it out of the itunes app folder do the upgrade or whatever and then when jb'ed again place it back in the itunes app folder.?

irish1967 wrote: »
    For that large app.. (I have a 1.65gb one) could you just move it out of the itunes app folder do the upgrade or whatever and then when jb'ed again place it back in the itunes app folder.?
    Possibly - I'm just not going to bother my arse upgrading if I have to go through all that again! There ain't anything interesting in 3.0.1 to warrant spending time doing it. I'd only have upgraded if it left ALL my apps alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

i upgraded to 3.0.1 and ALL apps left in the iTunes, i got them back on my iPhone (yes it's jlbk )

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Hi all.
    Is there any place in Ireland south that i can send iphone 2g firmware 1.1.4 to be upgraded to firmware 3.01?
    I just would prefer an expert to perform the upgrade. My iphone is unlocked by the way.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

stodwyer wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Is there any place in Ireland south that i can send iphone 2g firmware 1.1.4 to be upgraded to firmware 3.01?
    I just would prefer an expert to perform the upgrade. My iphone is unlocked by the way.

Sean

If you're sure you don't think you could DIY using the www.iclarifed.com tutorial, try calling the lads in phonevolts in Dublin (01-8728722) www.**** they might take it if you sent it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

I can confirm, texts, calls and data are working on 3 Ireland after the ultrasn0w unlock...

Haven't checked picture messages yet...

I can confirm that pic messages work with 3 on iphone 3G, 3.0.1. The will not send to the UK but that is a 3 issue not an iPhone issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Can anyone give the steps that they followed to unlock and then jailbreak their iPhone 3GS updated to 3.1 firmware. I'm a little confused as to what do first, second etc. I'm getting my 3GS from America on Friday and i think it hasnt been updated to 3.1. and it definately isnt unlocked/jailbroken.

Where are you getting it from in America? iPhones with a new Bootrom started being sold last week. This bootrom cannot be jailbroken/unlocked so you'd wanna be sure that you're not getting one of these.
    A tutorial to jailbreak the iPhone can be found here and to unlock the iPhone is here

You'll need to jailbreak the iPhone before you can unlock it

Where are you getting it from in America? iPhones with a new Bootrom started being sold last week. This bootrom cannot be jailbroken/unlocked so you'd wanna be sure that you're not getting one of these.
    A tutorial to jailbreak the iPhone can be found here and to unlock the iPhone is here

Cheers. No its an August edition of the iPhone so should be alright with the Bootrom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guys i saw a tweet from stephen fry saying that 3.1.2 is jailbroken.

i'm currently on 3.1 jailbroken and unlocked using pwnagetool and ultrasn0w, can i update to 3.1.2 and still jailbreak and unlock?

is there any significant updates in 3.1.2 that i'm not aware of, normally when a version number is x.x.x it's usually is small security holes fixed like the sms bug in 3.0.

No security fixes...just bug fixes etc. I'm gonna re-jailbreak now

is there a change log i can see, don't see the huge point in updating if it's for very small things.

can you report back here to tell me how you got on regardless Purple Gorilla?

Sorry just another question on this.....at what stage do I update to 3.1.2 firmware and how do I do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

It is important that you do not upgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 using the official apple firmware if you wish to unlock your phone to use an unofficial network.

you must first download the pwnage tool, see link http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/211802082/pwnage-pie

this will remove the new baseband from the 3.1.2 firmware and maintain the old (original) baseband of your iphone which should be unlockable. the pwnage tool does not work on Windows, only a Mac, so you may have to look around for a pre-pwnage'd firmware on google.

once you have this "treated" firmware, you can then update your phone via itunes remembering to click "Shift" and "Restore" to select your custom ipsw file rather than allowing itunes to automatically update.

now to contradict all this!

if you need to jailbreak your iphone and you do not have a mac, then do not update your firmware yet as there is not a windows jailbreak available (yet) for 3.1.2.

my advice would be not update to 3.1.2. Leave the phone at a maximum of 3.0.1 and jailbreak using redsn0w then unlock using ultrasn0w via cydia (do not use icy), see previous link and posts for full instructions.

is there a change log i can see, don't see the huge point in updating if it's for very small things.

can you report back here to tell me how you got on regardless Purple Gorilla?

AFAIK it only fixes 3 things but I did it because I had fairly crappy battery life on Jailbroken 3.1 and not great signal..plus the whole No Carrier thing annoyed me as I kept getting pop-ups about losing my network. Since I'm on O2 anyway, I updated officially to 3.1.2, then I restored the phone to a back-up I had, then I jailbroke it with Blackra1n. Battery life is much better and everything works dandy now :)

Also I noticed yesterday, when you update officially from a jailbroken iPhone, a little cartoon of Steve Jobs comes up with his hands in the air and him shouting "Success!" in Russian :P Little Easter Egg from Apple there

thanks i'll try it over the weekend when i'm less busy with work and stuff. :)

Right guys, I'm stuck. Got my iphone 3gs today but I cant do anything with it. I dont know what firmware it is. At the moment I have the "No SIM card Installed" notice and the emergency call thingy. I've tried running blackra1n and purplera1n but nothing happens. Then I tried to downgrade to 3.0 firmware and it tells me "this device isn't eligible for the requested build".......what do I do? :mad::mad::(:(:(

You're on 3.1. You can't downgrade to 3.0 because you didn't capture the IBSS or IBEC. I'm going to assume then that you have the 3.1 Bootloader. This means an unlock isn't possible.

If you got your iPhone from America, then you can't use it at all and there's no hacktivation for 3.1 I believe. If you got it from Ireland, then you can use it but only on O2 Ireland.

• Advertisement

You're on 3.1. You can't downgrade to 3.0 because you didn't capture the IBSS or IBEC. I'm going to assume then that you have the 3.1 Bootloader. This means an unlock isn't possible.

If you got your iPhone from America, then you can't use it at all and there's no hacktivation for 3.1 I believe. If you got it from Ireland, then you can use it but only on O2 Ireland.

F**k!! :mad::mad: Bought it off ebay from America. :mad::mad:

Is there anyway I can tell what version/firmware it is on in its current state?

Advertisement