Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options
  • 13-06-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Was reading up a bit on this game and people are saying its looking really good. I have the first one but the one thing that really put me off it was the levelling up system. The whole game scaled with you.

So just say you found a crate and it was a really powerful gun well if you were a much lower level this same crate would have a lower level gun. I think this whole scaling thing ruins games and apart from Final Fantasy of the rpgs ive played they are always doing this.

Enemies/items shouldnt scale up with you as knowing that a certain area of the game universe has really tough enemies is all part of the fun.

So....anyways just wondering will the same scaling aspect be in Mass Effect 2 does anyone know?

Another game that did this crappy scaling thing was Oblivion (which imo ruined the game) and Fallout to a lesser extent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I hate it too. I love progressing through the game, doing sub mission's and leveling up my characters till I'm God.

I still really enjoyed Mass Effect though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

It does avoid the game becoming about grinding though. If your enemies are the same level as you, you have to use strategy to win the battles rather than simply levelling up higher than them and sleepwalking through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yes but the games always seem to easy then. I think RPGs are about that place where you know you cant go just yet because your too weak or that legendary weapon that you cant find but you know is out there sort of thing.

I think it adds more atmosphere to the game rather than knowing you could finish the game at the level your at sort of thing.

RPGs are about progressing and evolving imo. This whole scaling thing has just been introduced to make the game easier for the casual market and I personally think it ruins the experience.

Oblivion was ruined because of this I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

so your into jrpgs then, i would consider mass effect closer to gears orthe like than an rpg like final fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I prefer non-scaled levelling too, since it means the hardworking player will be rewarded for their efforts. The levelling in Mass Effect didn't bother me though, since there wasn't much scope for going into dangerous areas like in FF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

does anyone know if they're improving the skills/techs malarky that they had in Mass Effect 1? It was a good idea on paper, but poorly implemented imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Its been topping most journalists game of the show at E3 which means they must have been very impressed to give it the nod ahead of the other games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've just played through the first game. Here's what needs to be fixed:

-The graphic are pretty poor in places, the textures are recycled and there's lots of pop in and re-drawing

- The inventory system is poorly implemented and hard to follow

- The side quests are poor

- The AI of your team mates is shocking. They'll walk into fire or worse in front of you

- The levelling up system could be tweaked. Some of the abilities are redundant and it's hard to tell the diff between some biotics

- The maps are all very similar

- Those awful driving sections

- Becoming a paragon or renegade doesn't have much consequences. See Fallout 3 to see how it's done

- The planets are very linear in design.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Mass Effect was always RPG-lite.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and still haven't traded it in (one more game maybe?) but amazing story and dialogue system aside, it follows the blueprint of modern RPGs, i.e. they aren't.

Much like fallout 3 is not a patch on the originals in terms of role playing, ME appealed to the masses by not getting bogged down in formulae and dice rolls in some dungeons and dragons format.

My biggest gripe (aside from the mako missions, the elevators and the crappy inventory) was the lack of character creation. I don't like being restricted to a handful of classes.

I think that the modern RPG format is here to stay, so I would expect ME2 to follow closely to ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

european exclusive (and only the second review in the WORLD) of mass effect 2 in the new issue of click out (at all good newsagents priced at €3.50 blah blah) tomorrow lads, for anyone interested

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    european exclusive (and only the second review in the WORLD) of mass effect 2 in the new issue of click out (at all good newsagents priced at €3.50 blah blah) tomorrow lads, for anyone interested

Excellent. I'll read it when I'm in Eason's tomorrow. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I love bombing around all the planets in the Mako. Sad to hear its gone. I always went out of my way to find all the stuff!

Rob2D wrote: »
    I love bombing around all the planets in the Mako. Sad to hear its gone!

or IS it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

UK PC Gamer score of 89/100.

US PC Gamer score of 91/100.

They said its more shooter than an RPG now. The old inventory system is more or less gone. And you have less skills to invest in. Reading the review it sounds like they have streamlined the game and dumbed it down, yet its gotten great scores.

I'm looking forward to the end product either way, can't wait for this.

UK PC Gamer score of 89/100.

US PC Gamer score of 91/100.

They said its more shooter than an RPG now. The old inventory system is more or less gone. And you have less skills to invest in. Reading the review it sounds like they have streamlined the game and dumbed it down, yet its gotten great scores.

tbh personally, i think its gack

i didnt review it tho

for a game with such heavy focus on gunplay, the gunplay is woeful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I started repaying the first one recently in anticipation. It's good game but lots to improve on. The side missions and planets are crap. Even the dialogue choices only offer the illusion of choice at times. And good riddance to the Mako - I hated it.

Still really looking forward to 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I was hugely excited for Mass Effect back in the day (loved KOTOR) but the endless elevator sequences and awful vehicle and combat sections put me off. In the end Fallout 3 turned out to be exactly the RPG I wanted in the end. However I'm actually getting a little tempted by ME2, Assassins Creed 2 was an incredible example of getting a sequel right and all the previews I've seen suggest Bioware have really upped their game. I'm a little bothered that I never finished the first title but I've read they offer a few options in the beginning of this one that effect the game the same. I'll wait for reviews to pour in but I might be interested in some sequelness

Ah yes, but what Fallout 3 lacked was the same great story telling as ME. The cinematic nature of the game was on a scale much larger than Fallout's, the plot was cliched but driven along by much stronger characters.

In the end, fallout fell flat for me because of the drab dialogue. After I played ME and went to fallout 3, I suddenly realised how archaic the conversation tree was, it felt so unnatural.

I think only Uncharted 2 has since recreated that "epic" hollywood feel for me.

nothing wrong with linear games if theyre good, uncharted 2 was a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm playing through the first one last time to get a level 60 perfect Paragon and the last two achievements. I've also got a Renegade character, to check out the different outcomes in the second game. So excited now...

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    By being so linear? Generally to created that "epic" hollywood feel you have to have large amounts of scripting.

Ah yes, I forgot about fallout 3 and it's unscripted glory.

Back to the topic at hand, I am looking forward to ME2, I am disappointed by the news of less RPG, more shooter...but that happened in Fallout 3 and it sold by the bucket load.

Helix wrote: »
    tbh personally, i think its gack

for a game with such heavy focus on gunplay, the gunplay is woeful

Are you on about the first or the second game?

In the second game, your accuracy does not reflect your stats, you hit where you aim. Unlike the first game where you start off with a targeting reticule the size of half the screen.

In ME2 if oyu are untrained in a weapon you just can't use it full stop. e.g the soldier class is the only class that can use the assault rifle in ME2 and can use all the different types of ammo. You no longer ''find'' different ammo types, instead they are gained by stats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Well it was always more shooter than RPG anyway and I play as a soldier so more guns don't bother me!

Soldier class vid released today.

Are you on about the first or the second game?

In the second game, your accuracy does not reflect your stats, you hit where you aim. Unlike the first game where you start off with a targeting reticule the size of half the screen.

In ME2 if oyu are untrained in a weapon you just can't use it full stop. e.g the soldier class is the only class that can use the assault rifle in ME2 and can use all the different types of ammo. You no longer ''find'' different ammo types, instead they are gained by stats.
    im on about the second game

the gunplay is woeful, but mainly i just didnt like the game at all

and i dont really need explainations lol, ive played it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

For the most part Mass Effect is a piece of piss, only hard section is that Matriach Benzenia (sp?). Even Saren was fairly simple to play against, I played through it quickly (as there's too many games i have to play). didn't do any side missions, didn't use any of my omni gel to go shopping and only realised about weapon upgrades half way through and I finished the game without any difficulty. It's still an amazing game, gonna get the 2nd on day of release.

You should try it on Insane difficulty with a fresh character. Its no walk in the park. Trying to free Liara and escape with here is a struggle in itself. Enemy snipers destroy your shields in one shot. Get hit again and you're dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I doubt I could hack Benezia on that difficulty, took me the good part of 50 tries to beat her. Almost ruined the game for me. Bit of a shame ME2 is going for a more a shooter route, was hoping it would go the other way.

siblers wrote: »
    It's still an amazing game, gonna get the 2nd on day of release.

Why second day, it's already €37 delivered for the 360. Can't see the price fall lower than that unless you like giving GAME and Gamestop €60 for every new game that drops €5 the next day, shop around.

• Advertisement

Why second day, it's already €37 delivered for the 360. Can't see the price fall lower than that unless you like giving GAME and Gamestop €60 for every new game that drops €5 the next day, shop around.

I read it that he will pick up the sequel (2nd) on the day of release.

Advertisement