Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Higher Level

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

Forgot to mention I also teach Chemistry so if anyone has any questions about Tuesdays exam I would be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

Just two points one I am female and two I am a Biology teacher who I am sad to say did my leaving 21 years ago and cheers ye I did get on well.:P

Slightly off topic here but I'll probably be teaching biology for the rest of my life. How is it to teach??

Depends on your group. If they want to do it and they got on ok in junior then you'll have no problems because the material is easy enough just a lot of it. However if you have a class that are doing it because they hated the other options even more and everyone told them to do a science and most of them did ordinary level for junior cert then it aint so easy. They all think its an easy option but because of the dept of the course its not also there is so much to learn which they wont do.
    Chemistry is much easier to teach in general they all want to do it and they work really hard. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Forgot to mention I also teach Chemistry so if anyone has any questions about Tuesdays exam I would be happy to help

Omg please stick around this forum until Chemistry at least! I'm sure I'll have loads of "HALP!! What's the answer????!" questions.

Piste wrote: »
    Omg please stick around this forum until Chemistry at least! I'm sure I'll have loads of "HALP!! What's the answer????!" questions.

Sure no problem I usually have a look each evening just to see how everyone is fairing out. Be happy to help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

Depends on your group. If they want to do it and they got on ok in junior then you'll have no problems because the material is easy enough just a lot of it. However if you have a class that are doing it because they hated the other options even more and everyone told them to do a science and most of them did ordinary level for junior cert then it aint so easy. They all think its an easy option but because of the dept of the course its not also there is so much to learn which they wont do.
    Chemistry is much easier to teach in general they all want to do it and they work really hard. Good luck with it.

Thanks,appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Hi marblesolutions i was wondering if you could help me? For the plant response in q2 i said chemotropism, n im fairly sure hydrotropism isnt in my book? And for the growth inhibator i said ethylene but has its name changed? By the way im also hoping to do bio teachin!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

lorr3 wrote: »
    croses had 4 answers. Bbss BbSs bbss bbSs :) black long, black short, brown long ,brown short

+1... Thats what i got

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

smndly wrote: »
    +1... Thats what i got
    :D did you see the eye thingy to???

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Hi marblesolutions i was wondering if you could help me? For the plant response in q2 i said chemotropism, n im fairly sure hydrotropism isnt in my book? And for the growth inhibator i said ethylene but has its name changed? By the way im also hoping to do bio teachin!

Hydrotropism should be in your book, I don,t think you will get the marks there but ethylene is the old name for ethene so thats fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

My sister asked me about that tropism question when she came home from the exam. From the description she gave me, either hydrotropism, geotropism, or chemotropism should be acceptable answers.

Water is a chemical substance.

Edit: Just looked at the question there. Geotropism is not likely to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

biggest fail ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

smndly wrote: »
    The diagrams were a joke. The two letter V's in the eye were pointing at different things which stopped me from doing that question. And the arrows of the blood vessels in the section of the lung were barely distinguishable. Poor paper in comparison to previous years.

I agree completely! Eye was a disgrace and even then the other pictures were fuzzy! Couldn't tell where the arrows were pointing half of the time! There haven't been diagrams that bad on a paper EVER!:mad:

Other than that it was okay I guess... I was looking for an A but that went to hell when I got a look at the long questions. Hopefully I scraped a B... Did all the long questions... Figured if they were going to be as wobbly as mine were I might as well give the examiner a choice!:D:p;)

Hydrotropism should be in your book, I don,t think you will get the marks there but ethylene is the old name for ethene so thats fine

Defo wasn't in my notes anyway and I have an awesome teacher. Took an educated guess and called it hydrotrophism anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Ah man. For that ATP cycle I put Electrons for "Y" then I crossed it and then I put energy and crossed it out and now I see a few people put them down. I ended up stupidly putting down Enzymes. I knew it was the wrong answer but still put it down. And when I came out of the exam it hit me that I put Geotropism instead of Hydrotropism. I was sickened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Dman001 wrote: »
    Ah man. For that ATP cycle I put Electrons for "Y" then I crossed it and then I put energy and crossed it out and now I see a few people put them down. I ended up stupidly putting down Enzymes. I knew it was the wrong answer but still put it down. And when I came out of the exam it hit me that I put Geotropism instead of Hydrotropism. I was sickened.

Ah, they're only tiny questions, they shouldn't count for an awful lot if you did ok overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

ye they really went all out this year with the diagrams but you didnt need the arrows on the lungs did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Ah, they're only tiny questions, they shouldn't count for an awful lot if you did ok overall :)
    I know but I was hoping for at least a B3 and I know I didn't get it. It was still a much nicer paper than the mocks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

How was two hours going to make all the difference to DCG? I mean, you've all day today and up until 2 tomorrow. I think you're after making a big mistake there buddy...

thats teacher talk jammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I agree completely! Eye was a disgrace and even then the other pictures were fuzzy! Couldn't tell where the arrows were pointing half of the time! There haven't been diagrams that bad on a paper EVER!:mad:

Other than that it was okay I guess... I was looking for an A but that went to hell when I got a look at the long questions. Hopefully I scraped a B... Did all the long questions... Figured if they were going to be as wobbly as mine were I might as well give the examiner a choice!:D:p;)

i agree man what the hell compare this year to previous five years, its by far the hardest like hi....AHHHH i was hoping for at least an A2 id nearly settle for just the honour now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Timmyctc wrote: »
    i agree man what the hell compare this year to previous five years, its by far the hardest like hi....AHHHH i was hoping for at least an A2 id nearly settle for just the honour now !
    Personally I thought it was easier than previous years. I guess it depends on what your strong points were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Personally I thought it was easier than previous years. I guess it depends on what your strong points were

jaysus 2008 was a walk in the park ... without study, strasight forward Q's , good diagrams...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

If you compare the diagrams from this to the geography paper it puts it in perspective. In geo all diagrams were coloured, big and clear such as the convergent plate boundary. Compare that to the diagram of the germinating seed which looked like it took 20 seconds to do in a blunt pencil. And they want more people to take up science subjects??? HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

never could understand hy this exam is actually allocated 10minutes more than the the history one......

anyways, it was nice. no cock though!

ok that sounded bad. but you get me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The fecking eye came up!! Who studied for that!

"Why is two eyes better than one?" What kind question is that :pac:

creggy wrote: »
    The fecking eye came up!! Who studied for that!

"Why is two eyes better than one?" What kind question is that :pac:

Stupid one!:rolleyes:;)

I said depth perception...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Dubs wrote: »
    ye they really went all out this year with the diagrams but you didnt need the arrows on the lungs did you?

One was flowing into the lungs, the other was flowing out.
    I took a guess and said Pulmonery Artery..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

One was flowing into the lungs, the other was flowing out.
    I took a guess and said Pulmonery Artery..

i didn't even see the ****ing arrows!!!!!!!!!!!....those ***** have swindled 3 marks from me for their inability to put clear diagrams on the bloody exam. it's an arteriole by the way. *****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

celtic723 wrote: »
    i didn't even see the ****ing arrows!!!!!!!!!!!....those ***** have swindled 3 marks from me for their inability to put clear diagrams on the bloody exam. it's an arteriole by the way. *****

Id say a good range of answers will be accepted for that pathetic diagram.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Id say a good range of answers will be accepted for that pathetic diagram.

i sincerely hope so..they lacked clarity by all accounts. were you caught out by it as well? or did any other diagram throw you?

Advertisement