Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Higher Level

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ohno I got four types of Guinea Pigs for my genetic cross =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Piste wrote: »

Ya, so did I. BbSs, Bbss, bbSs, bbss, i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Piste wrote: »

I'll check examinations and paste the question, we can work it out.

brb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hmm, I got 3.
    Was it not 50% of 1 and 25% of two others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Yeah so did I, 25% for each type. Hope thats right...

• Advertisement

(b) In guinea pigs the allele for black hair (B) is dominant to the allele for brown hair (b) and the allele
    for short hair (S) is dominant to the allele for long hair (s). The alleles governing hair colour are
    located on a different chromosome pair to those governing hair length.
    (i) Explain the terms alleles and dominant.
    (ii) What term is used to describe alleles that lie on the same chromosome?
    (iii) Why is it significant that the two pairs of alleles, mentioned above in relation to guinea pigs,
    are located on different chromosome pairs?
    (iv) Determine all the possible genotypes and phenotypes of the offspring of a cross between the
    following guinea pigs:
    Brown hair, heterozygous short hair X Heterozygous black hair, long hair
    (27)

Also I don't think it asked for the probability so I should be okay right? It asked for the possible geno/phenotypes, hmm.

Parent one = bbSs
    Parent two = Bbss

Cross 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh crap I just realised I did the genetic cross thing wrong!

I had the "Heterozygous black haired" bit as BB! That was so stupid, I got all the rest of it right. And I knew what it meant too, the first Heterozygous bit in my question was done right! Maybe the examiner will pity me and give me a mark... And genetics is usually my best bit! damn my retardedness

Claypigeon wrote: »
    The alleles governing hair colour are
    located on a different chromosome pair to those governing hair length.
    Bollocks!

Jammyc wrote: »
    Bollocks!

How do you mean? You thought they were linked or something?

Someone try and confirm the cross!

Homozygous = same (gaylól)
    Heterozygous = different (straightlól)

^Yeah our teacher is that "comical". Bless her. The way she told the "really funny way of learning it" was cringeworthy. "Homo means gay! Oh erm damn but like, there's nothing wrong, with being gay, it's not their fault, that they're different, or whatever.."

Claypigeon wrote: »
    How do you mean? You thought they were linked or something?
    Sure did...arse in a jar! Ahh well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

A quick question is Biology marked like maths for that question or in general, where you get attempt marks as I think i ****ed up the genetic crosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

Colud someone please tell me what Y was in the ATP ADP diagram Q12 A ii The ATP cycle is kept going by Y. What is Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ceann

Anyone else do extra questions??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

i said O2..think its wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Colud someone please tell me what Y was in the ATP ADP diagram Q12 A ii The ATP cycle is kept going by Y. What is Y

I said energised electrons, but im not sure....its probably totally wrong :o

I said energised electrons, but im not sure....its probably totally wrong :o
    Yeah I said energy. Twas a confoosin one!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

adp is the x and energy is the y i think

Energy dosent drive ATP to ADP , energy is released in the reaction, so Im not sure. I would imagine they will accept energy or O2 or any reasonable answer, I think its an unfair question designed to upset and throw the good students.

Energy dosent drive ATP to ADP , energy is released in the reaction, so Im not sure. I would imagine they will accept energy or O2 or any reasonable answer, I think its an unfair question designed to upset and throw the good students.

+1... good post...very well pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

croses had 4 answers. Bbss BbSs bbss bbSs :) black long, black short, brown long ,brown short

• Advertisement

atp loses energy and a phosphate which forms adp.
    atp is reformed using a phosphate and energy, am i making no sense? it was a confusing little question

I said energey from respiration for that one

leesmom wrote: »
    atp loses energy and a phosphate which forms adp.
    atp is reformed using a phosphate and energy, am i making no sense? it was a confusing little question

What you have said is right but it really isent clear from the question yes I think energy is what they were looking for but I am unhappy with the way they have asked the question. I do believe it will have thrown a lot of good students so I am hoping they will mark it easy.

Yeah hopefully only a few marks were for that.

the whole A part is only worth 9 marks and there are 3 parts to it so really if anyone is wrong it only means losing 3 marks, i know all marks count but its not really anything to get upset about, and if they find alot of students gettin it wrong thy will mark it easier

What you have said is right but it really isent clear from the question yes I think energy is what they were looking for but I am unhappy with the way they have asked the question. I do believe it will have thrown a lot of good students so I am hoping they will mark it easy.

do you think they'll gice marks for O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lorr3

oh meant to ask anyone spot the prob with the eye diagram the V label pointd to two things???:)

They should but it will depend on the way students tackled the question in general. If the marks are coming in low ie not enough high grades they reaccess the mark scheme and then I would expect them to accept O2 and even glucose. If alot of students got it wrong which I feel they may have then you can be sure that any reasonable answer will be accepted

They should but it will depend on the way students tackled the question in general. If the marks are coming in low ie not enough high grades they reaccess the mark scheme and then I would expect them to accept O2 and even glucose. If alot of students got it wrong which I feel they may have then you can be sure that any reasonable answer will be accepted

sweeett.... cheers for the info mate.:) hope you got on well.

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    sweeett.... cheers for the info mate.:) hope you got on well.

Just two points one I am female and two I am a Biology teacher who I am sad to say did my leaving 21 years ago and cheers ye I did get on well.:P

Advertisement