Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Higher Level

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

For the eukaryotic cells I just said that they have a membrane bound nucleus and can exclusively carry out mitosis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

JSK 252 wrote: »
    For the eukaryotic cells I just said that they have a membrane bound nucleus and can exclusively carry out mitosis.

i said they have a true nucleus and membrane enclosed organelles.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

and organelles with membranes eg mitochondria

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Who gets more food, urban or rural foxes? Place your bets here.

phasers wrote: »

rural because their instincts are usable at night and can take advantage of organisms whos senses are compromised by poor lighting (Darkness)

• Advertisement

My heart was in my mouth though with the genetic cross because I ****ed it up and went back in the end and did it fine!

My genotypes and phenotypes were squashed so small into the punnet square because i couldnt ask for extra paper because i was running out of time! i wrote at the bottom sorry, about the small writing! end of exam!

Did gentics, ecology, heart/lung, plus placenta/fungi.

celtic723 wrote: »
    rural because their instincts are usable at night and can take advantage of organisms whos senses are compromised by poor lighting (Darkness)

I just said that they are more adapted to hunting for their normal food sources in rural settings, rather than in an urban area where normal fox food sources arent always available.

TheManWho wrote: »
    I used every second of that exam, do you know why?, because I'm not an idiot. I can see the value of an hour when you put it up against the two months before the results and the 50 plus years after it.

Anybody who left early is either deluded or a biology teacher redoing their leaving cert.

Well said!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

im an A1student in biology, normally.
    todays paper was HORRIFIC.
    i actually cant believe how pointless all my hard work was.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Polarity wrote: »
    Quadrat ;)

Sh*t I called it a quadrant which seems to be a completely different thing altogether. Hopefully I won't lose marks.

• Advertisement

I just said that they are more adapted to hunting for their normal food sources in rural settings, rather than in an urban area where normal fox food sources arent always available.

as long as you give a logical explanation its correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

im seriously pissed off.
    the short questions were so hard!!

i do it through irish but i always get A1s, i defo didnt this time. SO annoyed.

grrr.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Went generally well for me, I found some of the short questions a bit tough. Section B was great, the dicot stem and germiniation got done in and section C was pretty good. I'm hoping for a B.

wtf was with that reading comprehension, it was ridiclously easy.

for the question name two places other than the nucleus where DNA is found what did you's say?

every exam i've sat in biology that's come up and do you think i learned the answer? no!!!

The general consensus is that the short questions are harder and i would agree. You had to cop on to the fact that in the plant short question there was a water source so therefore it was hydrotropism because you would say geotropism otherwise.

for the question name two places other than the nucleus where DNA is found what did you's say?

every exam i've sat in biology that's come up and do you think i learned the answer? no!!!

Mitochondria and chloroplast.

Biology is a subject im counting for an A1 in and in fairness it was tough in parts. Fair but challenging. Diagrams were a disaster. Looked like as though they were photocopied.!

Mitochondria and chloroplast.

hahaha....****!!!!!! what a load of ****. my own fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

awh crap! i said geotropism :o

found the paper ok, answered all questions (left a few blank parts) but attempted everything i had a clue about! starting to thing now i did worse than i thought because of that geotropism thing:P more mistakes like that probably happened!:(

YOU WILL BE GRAND! IT AINT A HUGE THING TO GET WRONG!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

What did yer graphs look like? I had light intensity on the x axis, number of bubbles on the y, so the graph started high and then dropped? But it wasnt a staight line, i wasnt really sure what to do with it....:o
    Mine looked like this only the actual graph looked better:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ahh bolleeeeks.
    Wrote ribosomes for some reason, was gona write mitochondrea but talked myself out of it! Urrg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I said rural since there's more animals for them to eat whereas in an urban area, it's difficult for them since the food they once had isn't accessible because of wheelie bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Just after realising i skipped q13 b part iii iv and v... OH MY GOD!! Im so pissed off! Anywho.. Wat did ppl get for the gas that triggers deeper breathing? I said co2?

Just after realising i skipped q13 b part iii iv and v... OH MY GOD!! Im so pissed off! Anywho.. Wat did ppl get for the gas that triggers deeper breathing? I said co2?

yep. body responds to high levels of CO2 not low levels of oxygen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

section A - it was okay but I guessed a few Q's:rolleyes:
    section B - couldn't remember the TS of a dicot :( but did the other 2 anyway.
    section C - LOVED it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

Said rural because they're omnivores and theres much more plants in rural area etc, but then again the urban wud have mcdonalds and burgerking so i just dont know!

said hedgegrow instead of hedgerow think that will matter :D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Said rural because they're omnivores and theres much more plants in rural area etc, but then again the urban wud have mcdonalds and burgerking so i just dont know!

said hedgegrow instead of hedgerow think that will matter :D?

ya i said urban and thought bought omnivore after but either will do once you back it up!!
    I thought it was a really nice paper the alveoli question was dead easy at 14 and 15 had good options!
    Did the entire paper!you have way to much time still had half an hour after doing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Was a fair exam I think. Had been quite worried about it, so glad it's over! Will get a C, would love to scrape a B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I thoguht about dropping before the exam, considering I failed in the mocks, but the girls in my centre convinced me not to. Glad I didn't now, I liked the paper!

Advertisement