Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Higher Level

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Jammyc wrote: »
    Ahh bolleeeeks.
    Wrote ribosomes for some reason, was gona write mitochondrea but talked myself out of it! Urrg!

lol, same here. :rolleyes:

I was shocked at how straight forward it was, I was expecting a fail or maybe a D but I think I might be getting a C or scrape a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭smndly

Oh and another thing that made it a terrible paper was that it asked for two pieces of evidence for evolution... The syllabus states u need to know one only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

smndly wrote: »
    Oh and another thing that made it a terrible paper was that it asked for two pieces of evidence for evolution... The syllabus states u need to know one only.

I know!! Even the book says you only need one. I ended up making up a new one ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Elli-May wrote: »
    I know!! Even the book says you only need one. I ended up making up a new one ha
    Out of curiosity, what are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I said embryology as well as fossil studies. Pretty sure it's in the book but I can't imagine how the study of embryos would help with evolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

Jammyc wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what are they?

one was horses growing

then I said people growing too and then put in something about dinosaurs haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

Elli-May wrote: »
    one was horses growing

then I said people growing too and then put in something about dinosaurs haha

I said about horses and fossils

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

-Fossil Record
    -Comparative Embryology
    -Comparative Anatomy

I prefer the question they asked than one looking for detail tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

i said fossils and the fact that there are many different species today that can be traced back to each other

Piste wrote: »
    I said embryology as well as fossil studies. Pretty sure it's in the book but I can't imagine how the study of embryos would help with evolution.

Yea your right, thankfully our teacher mentioned fossils and the other 2 in class and i remembered them. All mammalian embryos are similar in the first few days and weeks which suggests a common ancestor. The other piece of evidence is the pentactyl digits i.e. all mammals have a five digit limb which suggests a common ancestor.

It was an awful paper. It punished people that knew the course inside out by having sly questions that were on the very verges of the syllabus.

Another example is the question on the cause of a menstrual disorder. I learnt about fibroids which has no know cause!! So i couldnt answer a question not because i didnt study, but because of the choice my teacher made within the parameters of the syllabus.

Ive got an A1 in biology in the leaving last year and I have gotten an A1 in every test this year. Ill be livid if i didnt get one today. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Yea your right, thankfully our teacher mentioned fossils and the other 2 in class and i remembered them. All mammalian embryos are similar in the first few days and weeks which suggests a common ancestor. The other piece of evidence is the pentactyl digits i.e. all mammals have a five digit limb which suggests a common ancestor.

It was an awful paper. It punished people that knew the course inside out by having sly questions that were on the very verges of the syllabus.

Another example is the question on the cause of a menstrual disorder. I learnt about fibroids which has no know cause!! So i couldnt answer a question not because i didnt study, but because of the choice my teacher made within the parameters of the syllabus.

Ive got an A1 in biology in the leaving last year and I have gotten an A1 in every test this year. Ill be livid if i didnt get one today. :mad:

Fibroids are caused by high levels of oestrogen, often brought about by using the contraceptive pill.

Fibroids are caused by high levels of oestrogen, often brought about by using the contraceptive pill.

Thats totally theoretical. Theres a correlation between high oestrogen and fibroids which isnt a cause. Its not proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Was surgical removal okay for the fragments of the lining when talking about endometriosis?

Wish I had taken the half an hour last night and studied the skeletal system! I was kicking myself...

Thought the respiration question was difficult, particularly the part a.Luckily I managed to squeeze in a 5th long question.

Really surprised how little was asked on Evolution and how badly it was asked.

Also, for a treatment or whatever for Asthma I said an inhaler with an anti-inflammatory e.g Ventolin. Correct or not?

As someone who's quite weak at Biology I was really surprised, I thought a lot of it was doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

before I walked in today, I told myself i have going to draw the diagram of the heart. Purely because I wanted to, and im really really really good at it. & quick :)

Managed to do it for the SA and AV node question :)

This morning i was convinced i was going to fail, or get a low D max.
    But after walking out i felt a lot better.
    Attempted every quesion, well, bar one of the long q's.
    If i didnt know it, i winged it.
    Stuff i did know, i knew from just listening in class or from homework etc.
    So glad i didnt panic myself cramming like a maniac all night.

Overall, im a happy bunny again.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Thats totally theoretical. Theres a correlation between high oestrogen and fibroids which isnt a cause. Its not proven.

I'm not worried about that. I'm just happy I got my marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Was surgical removal okay for the fragments of the lining when talking about endometriosis?

Wish I had taken the half an hour last night and studied the skeletal system! I was kicking myself...

Thought the respiration question was difficult, particularly the part a.Luckily I managed to squeeze in a 5th long question.

Really surprised how little was asked on Evolution and how badly it was asked.

Also, for a treatment or whatever for Asthma I said an inhaler with an anti-inflammatory e.g Ventolin. Correct or not?

As someone who's quite weak at Biology I was really surprised, I thought a lot of it was doable.

Bronchodilator is what the books say, you're right with the example tho, ventolin, so if they accept examples you've got it right!

quote]

Ya i said that i said hormones could be taken to as it can be caused by hormone inbalance too!

before I walked in today, I told myself i have going to draw the diagram of the heart. Purely because I wanted to, and im really really really good at it. & quick :)

Managed to do it for the SA and AV node question :)

me too ha i was not leaving that exam unless i drew it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Wish i did question 11 it sounds so easy but i did everything else! Ugh glad its over tho.. Accountancy next and im a free man! What did people write for the rhysopus question for X? I said sexual reproduction i hope thats right

Its definately Sexual reproduction I cant remember the question fully now but there was something specific in it that made me choose
    that....:rolleyes:

"Because Foxs lack apposable tumbs""
    HaHa:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Well at the end of the day I hope others can share in my true victory in that exam.

I drew a vagina for marks in the LC.

Ohhh yeah, I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Help!!

for the question name two places other than the nucleus where DNA is found what did ye say?

I said the Ribosomes and got stuck so said the plastid in a bacterial cell!

Its really buggin me are either right?????

Secoundrow wrote: »
    Help!!

for the question name two places other than the nucleus where DNA is found what did ye say?

I said the Ribosomes and got stuck so said the plastid in a bacterial cell!

Its really buggin me are either right?????

Ribosomes isnt im afraid. U may get away with plastid. (the loop of DNA in a bacteria is a plasmid. Plastids are a group of organelles in plants which includes chloroplasts which does contain DNA. If u just said plastid and didnt mention bacteria u probably got the marks) The easiest answers were chloroplasts and mitochondria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

The diagrams were a joke. The two letter V's in the eye were pointing at different things which stopped me from doing that question. And the arrows of the blood vessels in the section of the lung were barely distinguishable. Poor paper in comparison to previous years.

I totally agree!! They were awful diagrams!! for the lungs what was c?? i said bronchus for a , alveolus for b and blood capillarie for c. Is that right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

No. It is thought thats the cause but there is no definite cause

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

No. It is thought thats the cause but there is no definite cause
    theres no known cause your right , thats what it said in my notes and my revision book they have to accept it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

for the genetic cross did you have to use the punnet square or could it be done the other way

siobhan08 wrote: »
    for the genetic cross did you have to use the punnet square or could it be done the other way

I only use the P-square method for more than 2 traits, I did it in the "normal" way myself.

My guinea pigs or whatever they were came in 3 flavors at the end of my twiddling. Think they were Bbss bbSs and bbss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Dicot stem came up, knew it all apart from what exactly dicotyledonous really meant :/ Just mindlessly learned off the expt without any background. Other than that it was okay.

Fox question was sound, nothing really bio based for 30 marks :S
    "Wheely bins are difficult to manage as foxes lack opposable thumbs"
    was tempting but I just went for a more subtle "they may not be able to knock them over to get the lid open" lmao

i couldn't help myself, i wrote it... :o

lmfao well it's a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

That paper was sexy! Shame about osmosis but other than that I was a happy bunny

Advertisement