Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Higher Level

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I really felt like the Respiration Question was annoying.
    The questions were easy but I contstantly felt like it should have been asking for more info. It kept saying 'state' and 'name'.

Yeah took me a few mins to pick a 4th. I did the one on the eye and Vegetative propogation. Dont think I did too badly.

Did anyone else write about 2 eyes giving you a sense of depth perception?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Jammyc wrote: »
    I really felt like the Respiration Question was annoying.
    The questions were easy but I contstantly felt like it should have been asking for more info. It kept saying 'state' and 'name'.

Yeah took me a few mins to pick a 4th. I did the one on the eye and Vegetative propogation. Dont think I did too badly.

Did anyone else write about 2 eyes giving you a sense of depth perception?

didn't do the question but that's definately correct fairplay. that question nearly made me sick when i saw it. thankfully i could avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really need an A1 in biology so I'm not overjoyed with todays paper. I think there were enough little 3 markers that I mightn't have got which could bring down my grade slightly, hmm! Those "notes" were so annoying, I hadn't a clue what to write. My notes ranged from a paragraph to a sentence =/

I almost completely made up the quantative survey question, but it was an extra question so I wasn't too fussed.

With only 3 minutes to go til the end of the exam I realised I hadn't answered the bit on a breathing disorder which could have been a handy few marks, luckily I managed to scribble down my anseer in time!

For the photosynthesis graph does anyone know were we meant to include a unit of measurement or any values on the axes? I just called my axes "Rate of photosynthesis" and "light intensity" and didn't put in any numbers or units of meausrement =/

Piste wrote: »
    For the photosynthesis graph does anyone know were we meant to include a unit of measurement or any values on the axes? I just called my axes "Rate of photosynthesis" and "light intensity" and didn't put in any numbers or units of meausrement =/
    I didnt put in numbers but I put in the units of measurement as Light Intensity in Luxes and Rate of Photosynthesis in Bubbles per Minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Well there was no unit of measurement in my revision book anyway, so you should be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I thought it was grand, did all the short qs and experiments, and all the long qs except for the female reproductive one.
    The bit above respiration was weird, at first i thought it was photosynthesis, but it wasnt....was it? :o
    The fox was hilarious..."Foxes cant open bins!!"...Or something that sounded better than that :pac:
    ^^^ jammyc, i said something about the blind spot being in different places? Hopefully theres tons of reasons :)

I didnt put in numbers but I put in the units of measurement as Light Intensity in Luxes and Rate of Photosynthesis in Bubbles per Minute.

Lol, didn't even know Lux was a unit of meaurement!

Lol, didn't even know Lux was a unit of meaurement!
    Thats what our teacher told us to write in! Maybe Im wrong though! Sure feck I wouldnt imagine theres too many marks riding on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

It was pretty easy. I was shi*ing myself before I went in cause there was so much stuff I didn't know. The exam itself could have been much harder. I say I got around 80% overall.

And yea I said depth perception for the advantage of having 2 eyes.

that fox question with the bins is going to have so many answers that will have to accepted. i'd say if you were correcting the exam you'd come across a few funny ones alright.:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Thats what our teacher told us to write in! Maybe Im wrong though! Sure feck I wouldnt imagine theres too many marks riding on it.

What did yer graphs look like? I had light intensity on the x axis, number of bubbles on the y, so the graph started high and then dropped? But it wasnt a staight line, i wasnt really sure what to do with it....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Here actually, what the hell is that square thing called in ecology? I just called it "A square, .25m^2 in size"

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Quadrat ;)

And uhm.. My graph started at the bottom left and went towards the top right.. levelled out about halfway there.

What did yer graphs look like? I had light intensity on the x axis, number of bubbles on the y, so the graph started high and then dropped? But it wasnt a staight line, i wasnt really sure what to do with it....:o

. . . . . . . . . ..

thats the way it goes except the right angled bit is curved.

^ Yeah that's how my graph looked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Mr.S wrote: »
    Quadrat?
    Damn! Thanks, that was bugging me. Technically I didn't give an incorrect statement, so I should hopefully get most of the marks for that "How did you do the quantitative survey" question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 U MAD

thought it was good

didn't leave any blanks and was writing up until the last min

Polarity wrote: »
    Quadrat ;)

And uhm.. My graph started at the bottom left and went towards the top right.. levelled out about halfway there.

Thats what i wanted mine to be like, but couldnt see anyway i could manage it :(

EDIT: never mind, cant get the graph to come out properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GaryB

smndly wrote: »
    The diagrams were a joke. The two letter V's in the eye were pointing at different things which stopped me from doing that question. And the arrows of the blood vessels in the section of the lung were barely distinguishable. Poor paper in comparison to previous years.

The two letter V's were the same thing...the iris AFAIK

agree with you though, I think Biology papers generally have very poor diagrams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Wish i did question 11 it sounds so easy but i did everything else! Ugh glad its over tho.. Accountancy next and im a free man! What did people write for the rhysopus question for X? I said sexual reproduction i hope thats right

• Advertisement

GaryB wrote: »
    The two letter V's were the same thing...the iris AFAIK

agree with you though, I think Biology papers generally have very poor diagrams...

Yey, i said iris, but as far as i remember, 1 V was pointing to below the pupil, the other one was either pointing to the left or the right of that, either the cillary muscle or more like the front of the eye. I think :confused: The diagrams were bad quality anyway :(

Wish i did question 11 it sounds so easy but i did everything else! Ugh glad its over tho.. Accountancy next and im a free man! What did people write for the rhysopus question for X? I said sexual reproduction i hope thats right

I think it was digestion, as in the hypha digests outside the cell.

Then it asked what type of nutrition it had and I didn't know whether to put down extra cellular or heteretrophic so I put down both. Of course, that means if one if wrong it cancels out the other =/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

A total nightmare. In my mocks I got 70%, now I'm hoping for a pass. Only Q11 was ok. On others I used common sense and wrote a lot of stupid things :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

It is possible to say that but I got the feeling of nutrition. The rhizodial hyphae produce enzymes which break down food and absorb the products of extra cellular digestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i said absorption for the rhizoid(X)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GaryB

Yey, i said iris, but as far as i remember, 1 V was pointing to below the pupil, the other one was either pointing to the left or the right of that, either the cillary muscle or more like the front of the eye. I think :confused: The diagrams were bad quality anyway :(

Well come correction time if that turns out to be a big problem any attempt will probably obtain full marks, that kind of thing is common in Biology

One year they asked you to draw a simple key and apparently the answers they got were ridiculous so any attempt at it got 100% of the marks, similarly same thing happened with a ridiculous genetics question..but then again genetics questions are ridiculous by their very nature
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Then it asked what type of nutrition it had and I didn't know whether to put down extra cellular or heteretrophic so I put down both. Of course, that means if one if wrong it cancels out the other =/

Saprophytic

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

saphroptyic nutrition which is a form of heterotrophic nutrition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

Very mixed reaction at my school.
    I personally thought it was ok, hopefully got a c...didn't study the experiments, photosynthesis or respiration at all so well happy with the paper!
    Ecology question was sexy...'what do foxes eat?' and the answer is on the page :D
    Nice question on human reproduction, I was hoping for that!

• Advertisement

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Saprophytic

woooooooop woooooop got that too..

Advertisement