Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

hmm restarted a few times and got the same error, pulled the battery out and its working once more. odd.

I use it for twitter and thats back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Anyone find they have to reboot their device every 2-3 days? This is probably a good idea but with all my previous handsets (except n97) I'd leave them switched on constantly.

N900 becomes somewhat unresponsive (wont open new text messages for ages when one comes in no matter how many times i press the screen. I have to manually open the conversations app and check it that way.) and the only way to fix it is a reboot.

This only takes up a minute every 3 days so it's not a big issue, but wondering if it was normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@funkyflea - Like yourself, I'm having to restart my N900 every 2 or 3 days. Not a major problem but it's a bit of a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone find they have to reboot their device every 2-3 days? This is probably a good idea but with all my previous handsets (except n97) I'd leave them switched on constantly.

N900 becomes somewhat unresponsive (wont open new text messages for ages when one comes in no matter how many times i press the screen. I have to manually open the conversations app and check it that way.) and the only way to fix it is a reboot.

This only takes up a minute every 3 days so it's not a big issue, but wondering if it was normal?

My current uptime is 7 days, 15 hrs, 33 min, and its zippy as ever... Probably not what you wanted to hear!

For anyone wanting to check their uptime, its quite tricky, but here are the steps:
    • Open X Terminal
    • Type 'uptime'

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

I'm planning to buy N900 but i'd like to know if you can edit office documents in n900. I am aware of Documents to Go suite but i'm not too sure if the version thats available for N900 supports the editing of office documents. This is a deal-breaker for me.

Can someone tell me if editing is poosible in n900 like it is in N97? Otherwise i'd have to go with N97 and quickoffice

• Advertisement

goddevil wrote: »
    I'm planning to buy N900 but i'd like to know if you can edit office documents in n900. I am aware of Documents to Go suite but i'm not too sure if the version thats available for N900 supports the editing of office documents. This is a deal-breaker for me.

Can someone tell me if editing is poosible in n900 like it is in N97? Otherwise i'd have to go with N97 and quickoffice

I have open office working on the n900. Its the full debian version so not very pretty to look at on the small screen but its the full thing feature wise.

To get it you have to install easy debian from the extras repositry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 V1P3R

Does anyone know if the N900 is locked to 02 on prepay?

Has anyone had any trouble using the N900 on Three Ireland?

I got the prepay phone from o2 yesterday, Just tested a meteor sim with it and it seems to work perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

V1P3R wrote: »
    I got the prepay phone from o2 yesterday, Just tested a meteor sim with it and it seems to work perfectly.

Yeah, I can confirm that my o2 prepay N900 is not locked or in anyway branded, it accepted my Vodafone sim. Three here I come!

I'm surprised it uses the same battery as the 5800. Last night when I was a little drunk I foolishly dropped the two batteries on the ground so now I don't know which is the new one and which is the old one as they both look brand new even though the 5800 battery is over a year old.

Can anyone help me out as I am selling the 5800 and I don't want to use the old 5800 battery in the N900 as this battery was the worst battery I ever had, I lost count of the number of times it went from fully charged to dead over night. The codes of the two batteries are YM23TOK and 0KGA1UW if anyone can hazard a guess to which is the newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

you could try them both for a day
    if the 5800 didnt last for the day... the n900 probably would last... did you have enough power in it to read the end of this post ?

samhail wrote: »
    you could try them both for a day
    if the 5800 didnt last for the day... the n900 probably would last... did you have enough power in it to read the end of this post ?

The trouble with this is the 5800 battery is grand for a few days even weeks then suddenly it goes from fully charged to drained with no background apps running or any real usage other than a few texts or short calls made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Finally got my hands on these while in England last week and absolutely loving it :)

Anyone have any idea why the hell the UK phones aren't getting the latest firmware upgrade??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dregin wrote: »
    Finally got my hands on these while in England last week and absolutely loving it :)

Anyone have any idea why the hell the UK phones aren't getting the latest firmware upgrade??

Yeah i'm in the same boat, still waiting. But from what i've been hearing the latest update that was put out to every other N900 is a bit rubbish, causing instability in a lot of handsets and not a lot of benefit. I'm not too bothered, but apparently when the next big update comes we "should" get the two updates in one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

hmmm. Might leave it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

got one today on o2, haven't even taken it out of the box yet. What should I do straight away, updates etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ye charge it up and get the updates, then get angry birds and you'll be addictied for another week!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ye charge it up and get the updates, then get angry birds and you'll be addictied for another week!

I wouldn't get angry birds if you value your sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If this was the retail box I would buy the n900 in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Will17869

Stee wrote: »
    It is big enough for a mobile, but in my opinion, still very 'pocketable'. And it's actually quite small when you consider what it can do. When I took it out of the box my first thoughts were "smaller than I expected, fairly solid, but a bit heavy" And that was without putting the battery in. After a few weeks of use now I hardly notice it in my pocket.

I was on the fence for quite some time deciding whether to get it, the price and reported problems being the main issues for me. I went to the o2 shop on grafton street and they had a dummy version, once I saw it I was sold. I guess I was worried about size without realising.

I dont use a case or screen protector, just make sure it's in its own pocket with nothing else. If you are very worried about scratches, you can get a screen protector which wont add to the size or weight.

Where are you based? o2 shops should have either dummy versions or the actual handset in stock for you to get an idea.

I saw the dummy n900 in an O2 shop yesterday.
    It is a bit thick compared to others, but could live with it.
    The keyboard seemed a little cramped though - no gap between keys and only 3 rows. There was no working model to try out, so I haven't been able to type with it on, but seemed a bit slow when trying to type.

How is it to type with?
    Is there a virtual on-screen keyboard for texts/emails or do you always have to use the hardware keyboard?

how can I make sure the phone isn't going online without me knowing and eating up my data allowance? I have my home wifi as the default "connect automatically". o2 internet is in my connections list also, does it go to that for any reason?

I read maemo checks once a day for updates, can you set what time it checks?

oh, and what are catalogues?

• Advertisement

Will17869 wrote: »
    The keyboard seemed a little cramped though - no gap between keys and only 3 rows. There was no working model to try out, so I haven't been able to type with it on, but seemed a bit slow when trying to type.

How is it to type with?
    Is there a virtual on-screen keyboard for texts/emails or do you always have to use the hardware keyboard?
    I suppose it's like anything, after a while using it you just get used to it. I find the keyboard is quite good and i can type quickly on it, although it is a tad cramped, but it's nothing that would turn me off the phone. There is a virtual keyboard if you need it, but i never use it, as the physical keyboard is much better.

As for catalogues, these are where the app manager will search for new apps and updates to current applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

podge018 wrote: »
    how can I make sure the phone isn't going online without me knowing and eating up my data allowance?

Head into 'settings' and scroll down to 'Internet Settings', from there you can set it to always ask you before it connects to any network.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Will17869 wrote: »

How is it to type with?

Takes a bit of getting used to but I find it quite good. I was flying on it and only making the odd mistake and I only had 2 days use out of mine most of which I wasn't using the keyboard that much.

It doesn't come with any software bundled, what program would I use to transfer music on it or back up files to pc etc?

Is there an app or a way of changing the text message layout to something similar to that of other Nokia phones?

I'm sure the conversation layout will grow on me but at the moment its the only thing about the phone that I am not too enamoured with.

Also, is there a megadrive emulator available yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I havnt noticed it mentioned in the emails sent out about this thread but i noticed that o2 have the n900 for 469 prepaid and they have the n97 for 499 prepaid.
    That surprised me as i thought that the n900 was the next model up from the n97, right ?

what's the best web browser to use on the n900 have you found?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

For me its MicroB, the stock browser. I've only tried one other browser - Mozilla Fennec. While I like the idea behind it, its very slow to start up, and to render pages, when compared with MicroB. If they make improvements to the speed issues I may switch, it does have a nice layout and user interface.

I have a few problems with it:

When you want to go 'Back', it seems to reload the page, that's a waste of data.

but more importantly, I can't seem to adjust the image quality, it's either full blown or none, I wouldn't mind images but at a low res to save on data.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

podge018 wrote: »
    I have a few problems with it:

When you want to go 'Back', it seems to reload the page, that's a waste of data.

but more importantly, I can't seem to adjust the image quality, it's either full blown or none, I wouldn't mind images but at a low res to save on data.

The image will size will surely be the same no matter what, as you are at the mercy of the web server which is sending the data to you.

Advertisement