Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options
1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

When nokia themselves have said that they are not going to support it, it's failed before it starts. It has really great hardware, with software/OS that's still not ready.

nokia didnt say they were not going to support it.
    to save double posting read my reply on the n9 thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72998933&postcount=18

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

smegheadz wrote: »
    nokia didnt say they were not going to support it.
    to save double posting read my reply on the n9 thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72998933&postcount=18

The N900 was the last maemo device. And it was left in a terrible state in reality. Buggy OS that couldn't be relied on.

Now, part of me loves the OS when it works, but it's definitely not primary device material.

I've been there once with the N900, "oh but QT means apps are easily ported" blah blah, maemo was still left without any real market place. Most of the apps were made by the community for free.

I would love to have one as a toy. But i wouldn't expect there to be any real development on the platform, and I would hazard a guess and say the the OS is buggy as hell too.

The N900 was the last maemo device. And it was left in a terrible state in reality. Buggy OS that couldn't be relied on.

Now, part of me loves the OS when it works, but it's definitely not primary device material.

I've been there once with the N900, "oh but QT means apps are easily ported" blah blah, maemo was still left without any real market place. Most of the apps were made by the community for free.

I would love to have one as a toy. But i wouldn't expect there to be any real development on the platform, and I would hazard a guess and say the the OS is buggy as hell too.

instead of hazzarding a guess why not talk to people who are actually using the devices. you'd be very surprised at the least. myself included in those who saw the flaws of maemo 5, but i saw the potential too. But the n9 is a major improvement on this, it's more consumer friendly then geek centric, even apple fan sites are talking about it and some have had hands on with it. Talking about the n9 being the last etc from nokia can put a negative spin on it but if you take things into consideration you will have access to a larger possible market as Qt is growing fast and the s40 phones are getting better hardware and Qt so developers just need to do minor changes to their game/app, I can't stress enough to go and read the meego forum thread's on the n9 (people on here have the n9 for testing etc) and check out the maemo forum (lots of missinformation and drama though, took me a few days to read through it all)

Only a fool would dismiss something before it's even out or even used it first hand. i'd be a fool to think it was going to be the next iphone/ios with millions of apps in a few years but so far it's looking like the only OS/mobile i'd upgrade too and i won't be fully committed untill it's released and i have a chance to properly review it. but when vlad spends 30mins on engadget podcast calling it the best phone he's ever used i take it that it's a quality device to impress an apple fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

smegheadz wrote: »
    Qt so developers just need to do minor changes to their game/app

Trust me, it's alot harder to port an application to another platform than you think, even if both use QT. Especially when screen size and some of the underlying fundamentals e.g. package manager / installer are different.

I've worked with porting software between 2 Symbian phones with the same OS and had problems, no matter porting between 2 different OS's designed for different ends of the market.

QT does make it alot easier than if they used different development platforms, but to suggest that every developer who uses QT for applications on Symbian will only need a few lines of code to make it work for the N9 (which will be seen as a limited target market) is taking a very simplistic view. Ignoring any code changes, any serious development houses will require many hours of QA to verify the application works on the different platform.

i don't see where i suggested it was a case of changing a few lines of code. but it still doesn't change what i did say. i've already said as much as i can without physically dishing out links and all those hours i spent looking up information and speaking with testers/developers. my aim was only to get people to look into it before they judge, but considering it's only been announced 7 days ago people already have an idea of how bugged it is and going to fail and doesn't work etc. i won't be talking on it more hear as there isn't any interest in it other then "it will fail" i suggest anyone who is interested in meego and an open platform go to the meego forums and discover it for yourselves.
    hope the ol webtexter make's an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Can anybody tell me how to stop my kernel-config from slipping back to a Min Frequency of 125.

I set it to 500, 900. Save it. Load it as default. All is fine. Some hours later I check and it's now 125, 900.

Has this happened anybody else? Anyway around it?

Looking at Conky however, it never seems to go below the 500 I set it to, even though kernel-config show gives this:

min. frequency: 125
    max. frequency: 900

avoid frequencies: 125, 250

Would the avoid 125 have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

Wrote here about the future of MeeGo too:

http://i.doubt.it/2011/06/27/meego-born-on-death-row/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Trying to load up a few applications and not working. Loaded up the Bless 900 and the relevant drive and getting incompatible application package.

What do I have to look at thats stopping it from loading up as had this before on phone before I did a reset on it ?

Does anyone know if putting in a different SIM "resets" the phone? I remember on some Symbian phones, if you put in another SIM it deleted contacts and messages from the previous SIM (on phone memory not just SIM card ones) and I'm wondering if this happens with the N900?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I think it resets certain regional settings and prompts you to set a few things such as time format etc. Not sure about deleting messages though. Safest thing is to back them up using Ovi if you need them and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Folks, can anyone recommend a replacement battery. The one I got with the phone is barely lasting the day. Maybe I need a new version of it or maybe there is a better one out there now. Not interested in one that makes the phone chunkier, just one the same size as the one it was shipped with. Thanks in advance.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Folks, can anyone recommend a replacement battery. The one I got with the phone is barely lasting the day. Maybe I need a new version of it or maybe there is a better one out there now. Not interested in one that makes the phone chunkier, just one the same size as the one it was shipped with. Thanks in advance.

Check out this thread on the talk.maemo.org forum. very comprehensive testing done by this user.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65568

I took down the new update but it no longer works for me. I thought I was using the same settings as before. I tried looking in Maemo for suggested settings but cant find anything. Has anyone a link or suggested settings for Vodafone? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hey lads I'm looking to get my hands on a n900 to use as an in car media device which will be hooked upto a screen in the back. I've tried the usual adverts "wanted" route but I don't think anyone really goes there.

I'm looking for a n900 prefferably with a broken screen ( as I have a screen from my last n900 in abox somewhere )
    I'll accept a phone that's network blocked too as it's nit gonna be used as a phone again.

So if anyone has an n900 that they're not asking astronomical money for please let me know.

Cheers

Darragh

I took down the new update but it no longer works for me. I thought I was using the same settings as before. I tried looking in Maemo for suggested settings but cant find anything. Has anyone a link or suggested settings for Vodafone? Thanks in advance.

You should have to reenter the settings again after the update, but it should be the same as before. Make sure your password is correct. As far as I can recall, the first letter of the password is auto-capitalized so can cause problems for people.

matrim wrote: »
    You should have to reenter the settings again after the update, but it should be the same as before. Make sure your password is correct. As far as I can recall, the first letter of the password is auto-capitalized so can cause problems for people.

Got it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Going to give the N9 a whirl, see if it holds up to the N900...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Sparks wrote: »
    Going to give the N9 a whirl, see if it holds up to the N900...

Buying or do you have access to a loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Buying or do you have access to a loan?
    The latter.

• Advertisement

Folks, recently having a lot of trouble with my N900
    - battery only charges to 87% despite being plugged in overnight
    - will no longer read wireless networks

Was looking for advice on 2 things;

1. Link to best steps to reflash. Searched web myself and there seem to be many different steps to take.

2. If I have a backup (saved on phone) can I simple restore using that after the reflash to get all my old settings back (Desktop Shortcuts, Installed Apps etc.)?

Folks, recently having a lot of trouble with my N900
    - battery only charges to 87% despite being plugged in overnight
    - will no longer read wireless networks

Was looking for advice on 2 things;

1. Link to best steps to reflash. Searched web myself and there seem to be many different steps to take.

2. If I have a backup (saved on phone) can I simple restore using that after the reflash to get all my old settings back (Desktop Shortcuts, Installed Apps etc.)?

Follow the steps on the maemo.org wiki for reflashing. read the whole thing before trying then follow each step carefully.

and for the backup question. yes you can unless you also wipe the mass storage. i suggest copying things that are important on to your pc as a rule incase something goes bad but i've reflashed after derping my n900 with applications and/or scripts and backups worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Display on my n900 is cracked not the outer screen inner screen. Not sure how as it was ok one minute then when took it out of pocket just coloured lines and crack.

Anyone know how much to replace? Saw the DIY bit but would not trust myself. Use this phone as back up to my S2 so would like to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Display on my n900 is cracked not the outer screen inner screen. Not sure how as it was ok one minute then when took it out of pocket just coloured lines and crack.

Anyone know how much to replace? Saw the DIY bit but would not trust myself. Use this phone as back up to my S2 so would like to get it fixed.
    same thing happened to me a couple of weeks after i got it, but i got mine done under warranty.

if you email a nokia service centre they should be able to tell you.

i wouldn't do it myself tbh, i tried doing an n95 a few years ago and a little spring pinged out and i could never get it back together properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've a full complete screen assembly for one for sale. Just a matter of screwing off the old assembly and putting the new one on 5 mins work. € 50 posted registered post. This assembly has the full slide mechanism and ribbon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hi lads anyone know how to turn a n900 into a wifi dongle? im with three and im heading to london so im looking to use my n900 as a wifi dongle for my laptop, any help would be great,

tried tethering through both ovi suite and pc suite but it just wont connect :( any ideas? has anyone else tried this with a three sim?

incoming update for the n900. it's to patch the microb browser from the exploited ssl certificates. if your running the CSSU then do not apply the patch. wait for the cssu update. If your not running the cssu you can apply the update and then install the cssu afterwards. check out TMO for more information.

What's the CSSU and should I be running it?

Advertisement