Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks bedlam. I have the 3G/2G applet alright. I found that it didn't really make much difference to my battery life.
    Plus I'm on 3 and I've always found the quality of 2G calls crap, even with a good signal.

Great news about the next major update due soon. I must have missed that on Maemo talk!

Thanks again, ambrose

+1 for Ovi Maps 3.0!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know the official release date on o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bernik12

Can anyone tell me if there is a web texting app available for the n900 for texting UK mobiles? If so, where is it located for download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

bedlam wrote: »
    Webtexter will interface with all Irish operators web based sms services, which will let you send internationally (or at least o2 does...).

O2 and Vodafone will let you text internationally via their free web texts but 3 won't. Even after a few years, 3 still seems to be a bit of a loner when it comes to roaming agreements and international texting.

P.S. The Webtext app is great - especially liking the way it saves sent messages to conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My wish is we get Maemo 6 when its out.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

god's toy wrote: »
    My wish is we get Maemo 6 when its out.

It never will, now renamed MeeGo. I wish that there is a massiv fork like thats being talked about on maemo.org with a debian port.

My wishlist is qt4.6, ovi 3, some form of complete PC suite support, ovi store working, an option to have complete landscape and no portrait, even in phone mode. Annoys the hell out of me in the car when I get a call and have to tilt sideways to see.

Also implimentation of proper support for what ever protocal is used for car kits, I cannot think of it off the top of my head. Basicly it's a pain in the ass with my handsfree while my e63 is brilliant.

Apologies for all the bad spelling, rush rush rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 defoe18

Help needed

after i updated to the latest my catalogs have gone from app manager. I now states no apps available and operation failed in yellow.

Has anyone else found the same and what solution?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

defoe18 wrote: »
    Help needed

after i updated to the latest my catalogs have gone from app manager. I now states no apps available and operation failed in yellow.

Has anyone else found the same and what solution?

Thanks
    just add the catalogue's again from the app manager. i lost them also after the update and used the restore backup facilitie with a low battery but ended up bricking the phone (the installing software do not interupt rebooting loop). had to reflash the phone which was difficult with W7.

I tried that already but none avail and when i open app manager it states operation failed. I cannot DL anything from ovi either as my app manager does not seem to recognise any apps

Sorted. I reinstalled the firmware through software updater on pc. I must have downloaded a corrupt app or file. Anyways happy to be back.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Hey,

Finally got a chance to revisit this forum since I got my N900. Loving it btw.

I've a load of video files that I downloaded which are in WMV format, and others are in full MP4 format.

They play perfectly on my computer, but I get the "unable to support media format" error when I transfer them to N900.

I really don't know how to solve this. Can anyone shed some light?

The video files are poker related from a website which also have ipod compatible versions(which also did not work).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

defoe18 wrote: »
    I tried that already but none avail and when i open app manager it states operation failed. I cannot DL anything from ovi either as my app manager does not seem to recognise any apps

I had a problem with the app manager not downloading anything and i had to change my dns settings to use googles servers...might be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hey,

Finally got a chance to revisit this forum since I got my N900. Loving it btw.

I've a load of video files that I downloaded which are in WMV format, and others are in full MP4 format.

They play perfectly on my computer, but I get the "unable to support media format" error when I transfer them to N900.

I really don't know how to solve this. Can anyone shed some light?

The video files are poker related from a website which also have ipod compatible versions(which also did not work).

Thanks

There was a codec pack on maemo, that might be worth downloading..havent tried it meself

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Folks, I've looked for this app but can't seem to install it. Can anyone give me a step by step guide to getting it on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Folks, I've looked for this app but can't seem to install it. Can anyone give me a step by step guide to getting it on the phone?

You'll need to add the extras-testing repository:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing

Bambi wrote: »
    There was a codec pack on maemo, that might be worth downloading..havent tried it meself[/QUOTE

had it downloaded already but still no joy :confused:

bedlam wrote: »
    Restart your phone. There is a bug in the media player that renders all video unplayable after you try and play an unsupported codec.

Still no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Will17869

I'm considering getting the N900, but am a bit worried about the size. I haven't seen it in any shops, so it's hard to gauge how big it is just from the dimensions (both wider and thicker than the N97)
    How do people here find it? Is it comfortable in a front jeans pocket?

And does the screen need a protective case to protect from scratches, making it bulkier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Will17869 wrote: »
    I'm considering getting the N900, but am a bit worried about the size. I haven't seen it in any shops, so it's hard to gauge how big it is just from the dimensions (both wider and thicker than the N97)
    How do people here find it? Is it comfortable in a front jeans pocket?

And does the screen need a protective case to protect from scratches, making it bulkier.

It is big enough for a mobile, but in my opinion, still very 'pocketable'. And it's actually quite small when you consider what it can do. When I took it out of the box my first thoughts were "smaller than I expected, fairly solid, but a bit heavy" And that was without putting the battery in. After a few weeks of use now I hardly notice it in my pocket.

I was on the fence for quite some time deciding whether to get it, the price and reported problems being the main issues for me. I went to the o2 shop on grafton street and they had a dummy version, once I saw it I was sold. I guess I was worried about size without realising.

I dont use a case or screen protector, just make sure it's in its own pocket with nothing else. If you are very worried about scratches, you can get a screen protector which wont add to the size or weight.

Where are you based? o2 shops should have either dummy versions or the actual handset in stock for you to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I have this for a few weeks now and am very impressed. The possibilities are endless. Whilst very happy I have listed below my major gripes;
    • Calendar – I have it set up as Agenda but each time I open it, it opens to the day on which it was last opened, not today. A little annoying.
    • Exchange e-mail – syncs all folders which can take a long time in my environment. Would like a better GUI where I can pick and choose the folders I want synced. Also, cannot accept meeting invites that arrive in my inbox.
    • Scrolling sometimes is unresponsive – seems to happen a lot when working with e-mail settings.
    • No free Ovi maps although I believe this is on the way.
    • Phone. When phone is locked and I get a call it is unreliable as to whether the person calling shows up. Sometimes it is ringing and the screen is blank. Other times the screen is visible but pressing any button has no effect. I would think that if the screen is locked, the phone ringing would reactivate it?
    • No voice activation – I had the N95 8gb and it was great especially for my car kit. This is a big hole.
    • No FM radio even through there is an FM transmitter.

Also, looking for some recommendations for the following;
    • Car Cradle – something that hooks onto an air vent would be best.
    • Power adapter – I have the CK-&W car kit in the car. The power cable is the old two pin type. I am looking to see if anyone knows of an adapter out there to get this to work with the N900.
    • Jogging Pouch – something that can be used in the gym.
    • Screen protector or clip-on shell.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I have this for a few weeks now and am very impressed. The possibilities are endless. Whilst very happy I have listed below my major gripes;
    • Calendar – I have it set up as Agenda but each time I open it, it opens to the day on which it was last opened, not today. A little annoying.
    • Exchange e-mail – syncs all folders which can take a long time in my environment. Would like a better GUI where I can pick and choose the folders I want synced. Also, cannot accept meeting invites that arrive in my inbox.
    • Scrolling sometimes is unresponsive – seems to happen a lot when working with e-mail settings.
    • No free Ovi maps although I believe this is on the way.
    • Phone. When phone is locked and I get a call it is unreliable as to whether the person calling shows up. Sometimes it is ringing and the screen is blank. Other times the screen is visible but pressing any button has no effect. I would think that if the screen is locked, the phone ringing would reactivate it?
    • No voice activation – I had the N95 8gb and it was great especially for my car kit. This is a big hole.
    • No FM radio even through there is an FM transmitter.

Also, looking for some recommendations for the following;
    • Power adapter – I have the CK-&W car kit in the car. The power cable is the old two pin type. I am looking to see if anyone knows of an adapter out there to get this to work with the N900.

Thanks in advance.

Just to let you know there is an FM receiver built into the phone and an FM radio app available in extras
    http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/fmradio/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I got a zagg screen protector for my n97 and i ended up scratching it.

I've no screen protector for my n900 and I don't worry about it and there's no scratches on it. weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45094

only 3 people in ireland have pinned the map.

smegheadz wrote: »
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45094

only 3 people in ireland have pinned the map.

You mean 4! Didnt know you lived in the square Smegheadz

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

i'm near the square, there's feck loads of appartments there and i'm in one of them bad boys.

Edit:
    pity there's no adhoc games or apps i can think of to use with these beasts of machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Ok all you seasoned n900 users just picked up one:D and was wondering if you could give me a things to do first list before i make a balls of it:eek:
    Its charging at the minute.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Thanks in advance.
    On the car cradle - brodit/proclip have a massive range. You pick a mount that suits your car then match it up with a passive or powered mount for your phone. They have both vent-clip style mounts and screw in ones. Just google "brodit proclip n900".
    I had one for my N95 so will just swap the phone holder for the n900 one. Its just released so may not be listed on all proclip sites.

-Coley.

boc121 wrote: »
    Ok all you seasoned n900 users just picked up one:D and was wondering if you could give me a things to do first list before i make a balls of it:eek:
    Its charging at the minute.
    Cheers.

Plug it into your pc in pc suite mode and update to the latest firmware, using nokia software updater (available from the nokia website). Then start enjoying it!

You could:
    add your contacts
    set up an account for the ovi store
    get 'angry birds' from the ovi store
    set up your IM accounts in the conversations app
    add bookmarks to the browser
    set up email
    etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Once o2 get this I'll be getting it on a gold upgrade for €330. I can't fúcking wait. *does dance*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Got it on upgrade from 02 yesterday a lot of shops just have one just ring around

Advertisement