Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stee wrote: »
    Plug it into your pc in pc suite mode and update to the latest firmware, using nokia software updater (available from the nokia website).

Whoa there, that's what bricked my phone :eek: over the air update ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

boc121 wrote: »
    Ok all you seasoned n900 users just picked up one:D and was wondering if you could give me a things to do first list before i make a balls of it:eek:
    Its charging at the minute.
    Cheers.

Say Goodby to your partner, wife and/or kids (if you have them) and start to love your new super device like nothing before it. oh and hug it every night too, it likes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bernik12

I'm hoping someone can help me here and give me a step by step guide to setting the above app properly. I've installed and thought all was ok but although I'm getting a sent notification my end the recipient is not receiving a text. Vodafone say they don't support the app so I'm thinking I shoiuld start from scratch.

Can anyone talk me through this so I can start again?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Bambi wrote: »
    Whoa there, that's what bricked my phone :eek: over the air update ftw

I just assumed that if it was on version 42.1 or something it would save time rather than upgrading in 3 steps, but I suppose if the risk is there, go for it OTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

OTA is the recommended way of updating. using the NSU is the fallback.
    There's also nokia flasher.

I've just flashed mine with the global firmware it's actualy not bad at all.

just make a backup using the backup software in the more menu.

just to be safe i used pc suite to backup my contacts and stuff too.

flashed the global firmware. You have to flash the same version (so i've been told) that your phone is on eg mine was uk 51.1 so i had to flash with global 51.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

irreco or qtirreco, i just cant find a way to get this, please help its doing my head in.
    Cheers.

Good news!

Angry Birds extra levels now at Ovi store!!!!

Better yet they are only €4!!

Damn, I had 3 stars in all but 2 levels. There goes any chance I had of doing something productive today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

bernik12 wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone can help me here and give me a step by step guide to setting the above app properly. I've installed and thought all was ok but although I'm getting a sent notification my end the recipient is not receiving a text. Vodafone say they don't support the app so I'm thinking I shoiuld start from scratch.

Can anyone talk me through this so I can start again?

Thanks

If you get a sent notification it should be sending.

Can you start webtexter from x-term, try to send a message and pm me the output?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

every time someone mentions angry birds I get a mental image of a group of essex girls kicking the crap out of someone! :D

just heard back from Nokia to say they're finally going to ship my two n900's next week, yay! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

hey guys, I downloaded the level pack for angry birds how do I go about adding the levels to the game as it only lists previous levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

bedlam wrote: »
    Have a look through these instructions.

Got it sorted thanks just cant find any codes for my stuff LG and PACE

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    hey guys, I downloaded the level pack for angry birds how do I go about adding the levels to the game as it only lists previous levels?

Above the level list is 1, 2 and 3. The number 3 should be un-clickable, but hit 2 and it will give you a new list of levels.

The OH wont be happy with lack of attention over the weekend, ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

got it, didnt install because I havent installed that new update yet had to root it with terminalx all good now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is it just me or have the extra levels vanished?

Is it just me or have the extra levels vanished?

Hmm your right, it looks like all the paid apps are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok dont want to scroll through all the posts anyone got answers to the below

1 Can the ring tone and message tone be changed and if so how ?

2 Everytime I get a call the volume is low. Try to increase volume using top button but . Is this an issue or is there something I am missing :confused:

Ok dont want to scroll through all the posts anyone got answers to the below

1 Can the ring tone and message tone be changed and if so how ?

2 Everytime I get a call the volume is low. Try to increase volume using top button but . Is this an issue or is there something I am missing :confused:

Sure can, you just missed the setting for it.

Go to 'settings' then 'Profiles' and scroll down.

Just finished the extra 21 levels in angry birds, turns out the 3rd set of 21 is also included, I assumed id have to fork out another 4 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Apologies in advance but following this post may leave you frustrated. :confused:

The idea is simple enough - using your N900 to connect to your PC wherever you are. The everyday benefits are huge (i.e. say that you are on call and need to logon to your PC Or if you want to kick off a file download from the office so it will be ready when you get home) it doesn't matter where you are. Pretty cool. :cool:

Firstly a warning - I cannot get this to work and if you go to the end of this thread you'll see the errors I'm getting.

Port Forwarding is proving particularly difficult (and yes I've read the previous threads) btw I'm using an eircom 2247 router.

N900 - Download from Application List
    1. VNC Viewer
    2. OpenSSH Client

PC
    1. dynamic DNS provider (e.g. http://www.dyndns.com/)
    2. Tight VNC Server
    3. freeSSHd

Update: Finally got this working by simply starting and restarting freeSHd. Now all I have to do is get the port forwarding to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

god's toy wrote: »
    Hmm your right, it looks like all the paid apps are down.
    looks like there was a bug that was allowing people to download the extra levels without paying for them so they took down the whole thing until they fixed it.

my guess is that it won't just be the birds that are angry in the ovi offices this week. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    looks like there was a bug that was allowing people to download the extra levels without paying for them so they took down the whole thing until they fixed it.

my guess is that it won't just be the birds that are angry in the ovi offices this week. :D

lol maybe the people used the ''iPhone users get 105 levels for $199 and we have to fork out €4 for 42? hell i'm robbing them anyway!'' escuse.
    me? i'm happy to support paid apps if they are all this good!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I ordered this on thursday so I should have it monday or tuesday. I can't wait. :) Has anyone got any recommendations for a screen protector?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've only tried the one screen protector so far and it was crap, tbh i'm just not going to bother. The screen is resilient enough, no scratches/marks to far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've only tried the one screen protector so far and it was crap, tbh i'm just not going to bother. The screen is resilient enough, no scratches/marks to far.

I did the same with my c905 and while I managed to keep the screen scratch free there are still a few scratches else where. I'd rather have one for the n900 just in case. Which one did you use? Just so I know to stay away. Also, any recommendations for apps? I plan on getting webtexter and angry birds already.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

I did the same with my c905 and while I managed to keep the screen scratch free there are still a few scratches else where. I'd rather have one for the n900 just in case. Which one did you use? Just so I know to stay away. Also, any recommendations for apps? I plan on getting webtexter and angry birds already.

There are mixed views on all types of protectors. The biggest problem is putting them on correctly. I bought a pack of 3 vikuiti 160 from http://www.protectionfilms24.com/. Made a mess of one but the second one is on great. I'd recommend this but it's the one I think Alainstainor got and hated. I think he said he had problems putting it on.
    Here's a list of others. http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessories#Screen_Protectors

I'd recommend Hermes. It's great if you use facebook. Imports your facebook contacts pictures and details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I ordered this on thursday so I should have it monday or tuesday. I can't wait. :) Has anyone got any recommendations for a screen protector?

I got one of these

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Loggie wrote: »
    There are mixed views on all types of protectors. The biggest problem is putting them on correctly. I bought a pack of 3 vikuiti 160 from http://www.protectionfilms24.com/. Made a mess of one but the second one is on great. I'd recommend this but it's the one I think Alainstainor got and hated. I think he said he had problems putting it on.
    Here's a list of others. http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessories#Screen_Protectors

I'd recommend Hermes. It's great if you use facebook. Imports your facebook contacts pictures and details.

Yup, i got the above and thought it was rubbish, as said though, it was probably because i messed it up when i was putting it on.

DrNokSnes is class, come to think of it, there are only a couple of apps i would actually use regularly. Webtexter is one i'd use every day, Irreco IR remote is very cool as well, my phone turns into my tv remote. Not really essential, but still cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

mwrf wrote: »
    You'll need to add the extras-testing repository:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing

I installed this and set it up but am told that I an "Unable to login to provider. I am with Vodafone and on their website my ID is my phone number. On the set up wizard it ask for both a Username and Phone Number. I put my phone number into both. Is that OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Does the standard Media Player lag out on anyone else when you have quite a large music colllection loaded up (20gigs)?

Advertisement