Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does the standard Media Player lag out on anyone else when you have quite a large music colllection loaded up (20gigs)?

I've found that it can, it's only the odd time though and usually when i'm using the "shuffle all music" function. The media player really isn't the best, it can be a cpu hog, i find that the audio will freeze occasionally when i'm web browsing and listening to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am particularly fond of listening to music on shuffle too :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah as am i. Hopefully the next update will bring some improvements to the media player! Speaking of which, i wonder why those of us with uk devices are still withought an update???

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

What is the latest updade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I installed this and set it up but am told that I an "Unable to login to provider. I am with Vodafone and on their website my ID is my phone number. On the set up wizard it ask for both a Username and Phone Number. I put my phone number into both. Is that OK?

Check your password, as you have to be careful as the first letter is auto-capitalized

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

matrim wrote: »
    Check your password, as you have to be careful as the first letter is auto-capitalized

Many thanks, reinput my password and I am set to go. Great tool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Got it this morning and I'm delighted. It's lighter and smaller than I thought it would be which is nice as I was a bit worried about that. Quick one guys. How do I get access to the apps in testing and development. I know it's been mentioned in this thread before but it's a big thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Welcome to the club!

A lot of info can be found at http://maemo.org/ where there is a very helpful forum-based community. There is also a wiki and download area with more info on apps.

Extras Testing
    Application manager --> Application catalogs --> New
    Catalog name: maemo.org extras-testing
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing
    Distribution: fremantle
    Components: free non-free

extras-devel
    Catalog name: Maemo extras-devel
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel

Then go back to app. manager and hit update.

Got it this morning and I'm delighted. It's lighter and smaller than I thought it would be which is nice as I was a bit worried about that. Quick one guys. How do I get access to the apps in testing and development. I know it's been mentioned in this thread before but it's a big thread.

Hahaha, at long last. Welcome to the awesomeness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stee wrote: »
    Welcome to the club!

A lot of info can be found at http://maemo.org/ where there is a very helpful forum-based community. There is also a wiki and download area with more info on apps.

Extras Testing
    Catalog name: maemo.org extras-testing
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing

extras-devel
    Catalog name: Maemo extras-devel
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel

Then go back to app. manager and hit update.

Cheers, Stee. That has worked a treat.
    Hahaha, at long last. Welcome to the awesomeness.

I really don't think awesome can describe this thing. We need a better word than awesome. :) One thing that has really impressed me is how it handles really small links. I was on facebook earlier and there was a few very small links (I don't bother zooming in as I can see everything fine). I was thinking I'd have to use the stylus which would be pretty crap but it always gets it right when I use my finger. This is my first touch screen phone so that may be something they all do well. The keyboard is great as well despite it's size. Only problem I have with the keyboard is holding the blue button and trying to press the numbers 1,2,3 is a bit difficult.

Pity, I'll probably smash the phone off the wall trying to get three fecking stars in angry birds. Level one is a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Loggie wrote: »

I'd recommend Hermes. It's great if you use facebook. Imports your facebook contacts pictures and details.

Did any one here about Nokia themselves putting more of that kind of thing in the phone in their next update. I'm sure i heard they were personally adding facebook contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Only problem I have with the keyboard is holding the blue button and trying to press the numbers 1,2,3 is a bit difficult.

Fn, Ctrl and shift are sticky keys. Press em once then hit the number you want. Double tap to lock them on (a yellow notifiction bar will appear). Press once again to unlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

so can I run this thing on pay as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

so can I run this thing on pay as you go?

Um yep. If it's SIM free then any sim will work in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

god's toy wrote: »
    Um yep. If it's SIM free then any sim will work in it.

and how do they charge me for internet usage so?

You can buy it in blocks (EG I buy 1GB per month from 3 for €10) or use as needed (this can be expensive however)

Each provider has different rates so best check with your provider.

You just stick your current sim card into the phone. That's what sim free means, the phone is unlocked so you can join any network, or stick with your current network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know if the N900 is locked to 02 on prepay?

Has anyone had any trouble using the N900 on Three Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nephew wrote: »

I was reliably informed by both DaryllFromO2 and an o2 store assistant that the n900 _is_ locked to o2, but Daryll said that if on bill pay, they should unlock immediately. Of course, that remains to be seen/proven.

Not sure about Vodafone, I thought it was unlocked, but may be more expensive.

Has anyone had any trouble using the N900 on Three Ireland?

Yep I'm on 3 and its fine. Didnt have to change anything to get it working online and speeds are really good. (note this was after the first firmware update as) Friend is on voda with 900 and its the very same speed wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

ditto on three here ---- worked out of the box with the latest firmware. I have a USA device and that's absolutely fine.

Speeds are very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

nereid wrote: »
    I was reliably informed by both DaryllFromO2 and an o2 store assistant that the n900 _is_ locked to o2, but Daryll said that if on bill pay, they should unlock immediately. Of course, that remains to be seen/proven.

Not sure about Vodafone, I thought it was unlocked, but may be more expensive.

Dang! Do you know if its heavily o2 branded and if it can be easily unlocked?

Btw guys if you use the code O2COUPON it gives you 10% off o2 prepay phones so you can pick up the N900 for €420 ish.

Apparently no branding just a "basic sim lock" but I haven't investigated further due to the local o2 store not having them in stock.

I wonder what wiping the firmware and installing android/osx would do to the sim lock though...

I tried to ask the o2 "techs" this with no obvious answer one way or another.

nereid wrote: »
    Apparently no branding just a "basic sim lock" but I haven't investigated further due to the local o2 store not having them in stock.

I wonder what wiping the firmware and installing android/osx would do to the sim lock though...

I tried to ask the o2 "techs" this with no obvious answer one way or another.

Just an fyi, but you can't "install" osx per se, an emulator program was used, and osx was installed within the emulator program, so what you were seeing was osx running within maemo which is why it was unbelievably slow.
    Android on the other hand was dual booted with maemo afaik, but i don't know what worked and what didn't. Tbh i would still expect it to be locked, as you can reflash phones with as many different OS versions and it doesn't remove the sim lock. (That's from experience with the symbian.)

My o2 n900 has no branding what so ever on it. It was also unlocked when I got it although this was on bill pay.

On another note, I'm just after noticing a small crack or mark on the lcd on mine. It's not that noticeable but it's still annoying. I'm not impressed. :(

Tbh i would still expect it to be locked, as you can reflash phones with as many different OS versions and it doesn't remove the sim lock. (That's from experience with the symbian.)

I didn't know this, but good to know, thanks.

Also, I hope Keano A Legend doesn't mind me quoting them from here but this has possibly an impact to n900 owners that use the device to its full potential (by for example dual booting/ emulating)?

I'll definitely be getting concrete answers from several o2 sources before signing up to any plans, and pulling the trigger on getting a n900.
    I got a data charge of €226 for using just over 25mb with o2 in just over 2 weeks!. The robots tell me i've been using the wrong APN. My phone is not an iphone but its obvious they are not too found of telling customers when they are on the wrong APN, I wonder why :rolleyes:

On another note, I'm just after noticing a small crack or mark on the lcd on mine. It's not that noticeable but it's still annoying. I'm not impressed. :(

I have to send my phone off to o2, then they'll have to evaluate it and after that they'll issue me a refund or a replacement. And they have no idea how long that process will take either. Waking into a store and getting a replacement on the spot can't be done for some reason despite me being more than happy for them to get one sent to the store. And all because I bought on line. The only fecking reason I bought it online was because the o2 store wouldn't pick up their phone the 17 billion times I rang them to check stock availability. Complete fúcking joke. God only knows how long I'll be without my phone. You spend €300 on a phone on an account that spends a couple of hundred a month and you can't even go into a shop to get an exchange for a product that developed a fault less than 2 days after it was delivered.

I have to send my phone off to o2, then they'll have to evaluate it and after that they'll issue me a refund or a replacement. And they have no idea how long that process will take either. Waking into a store and getting a replacement on the spot can't be done for some reason despite me being more than happy for them to get one sent to the store. And all because I bought on line. The only fecking reason I bought it online was because the o2 store wouldn't pick up their phone the 17 billion times I rang them to check stock availability. Complete fúcking joke. God only knows how long I'll be without my phone. You spend €300 on a phone on an account that spends a couple of hundred a month and you can't even go into a shop to get an exchange for a product that developed a fault less than 2 days after it was delivered.

That is pure Shíte, here's hoping it gets sorted sooner rather than later

I think Pidgin has stopped working.
    Skype is working fine but msn and twitter come up as 'network error'

just me??.

• Advertisement

I just use the nokia conversations app for msn and facebook chat and it's working just fine. Is there an addvantage to using pidgeon?

Advertisement