Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, same here. Not really sure where to start and it would be great to have voice directions.

A link to a howto document or something would be great.

I've been trawling the net for a solution to this and came across a few tips - one of which involved using the x-terminal and creating/modifying a qf file. I started to try this, then got seriously cold feet in case I wrecked my lovely new phone in the process :eek:
    It seems, however, on a much easier front, that the process works perfectly on Windows XP - not Vista. Some people have also reported that it works on Windows 7 (64 bit). I have neither of these, wouldn't you know :( I'm going to try on the hubby's XP laptop later on - I will report back with my experiences :) There is one final option that involves bypassing the Map Loader altogether and manually installing the required maps - that will be Plan B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

matrim wrote: »
    Anyone here get an update notification this morning?

Looking at the number it appears to only be a couple of versions up verses PR1.1.1 so it might be this for the UK devices.

It seems to be the UK update, there are no updates available for me anyway. Hopefully this means PR1.2 will be very very soon!

vibe666 wrote: »
    my n900's from nokia FINALLY arrived yesterday so i spent the evening doing updates and downloading stuff (twice, it was actually hard work!) at home via wifi, but since i started with it my o2 internet settings seem to have disappeared for some reason.

i'm guessing that something i installed last night has deleted or hidden them but i've no idea what or where. anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

thx.

As my N900 was purchased from O2, I tried to connect via the installed settings and couldn't. I then tried my Vodafone Sim and bingo, so I haven't tried again with O2. However, in anticipation of getting this phone, I'd been reading this looooong thread and copied out a few tips, one of which was the following O2 settings (sorry, I can't remember whose and I don't know if they actually work):
    Got these settings from 02 for internet access

connection name: O2 WAP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN: internet
    username:
    prompt password: no
    password:
    authentication: normal
    homepage: http://www.o2.ie
    network type: IPv4
    phone IP address: automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

One other thing, if you turn it off and on again (just like a normal PC ;)) things have a habit of reappearing again. I was trying the qf thing mentioned above and my files and photos disappeared briefly :eek: - rebooting brought them back. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Domscard wrote: »
    One other thing, if you turn it off and on again (just like a normal PC ;)) things have a habit of reappearing again. I was trying the qf thing mentioned above and my files and photos disappeared briefly :eek: - rebooting brought them back. Worth a try.
    i think i know wht I did.

i had a minor problems on it earlier and i powered it off and back on and it didn't ask me for my pin and i think it just skipped the sim card (i might hae brushed the 'skip' button when i picked it up when i was turning it on).

seems like its working fine now though anyways, thanks be to jebus!

the missus is enjoying hers too which is good.

i was worried that it wpould be too big for her after a 5800, but she says its fine and that having the keyboard and bigger screen more than makes up for the increase in bulk.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, same here. Not really sure where to start and it would be great to have voice directions.

A link to a howto document or something would be great.

FINALLY I have this downloading the map data!!!! Used XP, but the first few times I tried I got the same old, same old problems 'waiting for phone'. I kept trying both modes (mass storage' and PC suite) but the PC Suite one definitely doesn't work. I kept restarting the laptop and finally made sure that PC suite was not active in the tray. I don't know why it didn't work one minute but worked the next - all I can say to anyone is KEEP TRYING and KEEP RESTARTING between tries. Makes no sense I know, but it works in the end :confused:
    It's taking a while to download, so I won't know if all is going right until if finishes .... Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

MOD NOTE: What part of no selling on the Mobiles/PDA forum do you not understand? There have been two posts already in this thread warning about selling. Please do not do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Domscard wrote: »
    FINALLY I have this downloading the map data!!!! Used XP, but the first few times I tried I got the same old, same old problems 'waiting for phone'. I kept trying both modes (mass storage' and PC suite) but the PC Suite one definitely doesn't work. I kept restarting the laptop and finally made sure that PC suite was not active in the tray. I don't know why it didn't work one minute but worked the next - all I can say to anyone is KEEP TRYING and KEEP RESTARTING between tries. Makes no sense I know, but it works in the end :confused:
    It's taking a while to download, so I won't know if all is going right until if finishes .... Fingers crossed!

Did you manage to sort it? Sorry I haven't checked this thread..

Works on Vista/7/XP..doesn't matter which. Install the latest PC Suite, then download Map Loader separately.

So go into X-terminal and run this command:
    cp /home/user/MyDocs/.qf /home/user/MyDocs/qf

Plug your N900 back into your pc's usb port in PC suite mode - then start MAP LOADER application on your pc. It will say something like 'Updating Phone' - in the bottom left you will see 1 map drive found.

After a few minutes it should start downloading a list of maps available - can take some time.

Once this is done, you can choose which maps and voice packs you want to download to your phone!

Until N900 gets ovi maps 3.0 we won't have voice navigation sadly..

funkyflea wrote: »
    Did you manage to sort it? Sorry I haven't checked this thread..

Works on Vista/7/XP..doesn't matter which. Install the latest PC Suite, then download Map Loader separately.

So go into X-terminal and run this command:
    cp /home/user/MyDocs/.qf /home/user/MyDocs/qf

Plug your N900 back into your pc's usb port in PC suite mode - then start MAP LOADER application on your pc. It will say something like 'Updating Phone' - in the bottom left you will see 1 map drive found.

After a few minutes it should start downloading a list of maps available - can take some time.

Once this is done, you can choose which maps and voice packs you want to download to your phone!

Until N900 gets ovi maps 3.0 we won't have voice navigation sadly..

Well, I got it sorted eventually - as in it took hours of my time and it did download the maps - only I find that they are EXACTLY the same as what I had already :( I went again and deleted all the maps on the phone, just in case I'd boobed somewhere. At the end of it all, still version 1.01, so absolutely no advantage. And no voice, worst of all :mad: I hope Nokia gets this sorted soon - the N900 really deserves to have the best GPS available. Will this new update that is on the way offer any scope for Version 3?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Finally i have the latest update on my N900, not that i really notice much of a difference. Updated the maps too, does anyone find the maps to be generally slow? As in the performance? My 5800 wasn't as sluggish when scrolling around the maps.

Finally i have the latest update on my N900, not that i really notice much of a difference. Updated the maps too, does anyone find the maps to be generally slow? As in the performance? My 5800 wasn't as sluggish when scrolling around the maps.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but since I deleted all the maps during my fiasco attempt to update them and then reinstalled only the Ireland/N. Ireland ones, I think they're a bit more responsive. Did the new update change the map version from 1.01 to 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

So a day in and I'm still getting the hang of it. Quite a step up seeing as how I've using a Nokia 3220 for the past five years :o

Would ye recommend getting a screen protector?

Am dying to get down and dirty with programming some apps!

i just got my n900 on Thursday and the maps are a little disappointing after coming from the newest update to the n97 maps which were a HUGE improvement over the previous one.

the latest version of the nokia maps didn't even have a loading screen on the n97, it was opening almost instantly and had your rough gps position within seconds (I'm guessing via agps) and a solid gps lock a few seconds after that. i really thought my gps woes were over for good at that stage. then i got the n900 which is a huge step up in almost every department except gps. :(

anyway, i'm 100% up to date with my OS and apps and i've finished angry birds, so what's next? :D

i just got my n900 on Thursday and the maps are a little disappointing after coming from the newest update to the n97 maps which were a HUGE improvement over the previous one.

the latest version of the nokia maps didn't even have a loading screen on the n97, it was opening almost instantly and had your rough gps position within seconds (I'm guessing via agps) and a solid gps lock a few seconds after that. i really thought my gps woes were over for good at that stage. then i got the n900 which is a huge step up in almost every department except gps. :(

anyway, i'm 100% up to date with my OS and apps and i've finished angry birds, so what's next? :D

From what I'm reading online, the new Ovi maps will be made available eventually for the N900 - when, of course, is the question - something to do with Maemo being a different browser than the usual Nokia phone? I thought I was downloading them yesterday :o but it was just what I had already!
    As to what to do next - I'm just enjoying exploring the options, watching Youtube videos in my bed (it's Saturday after all). I've set up all the things I used to do on my desktop PC - webtext, gmail and Boards. I've still to get to grips with the music element - that will keep me busy next week :D

toiletduck wrote: »
    Would ye recommend getting a screen protector?

I decided not to bother getting the screen protector. Some reviews online indicated that there might be less sensitivity on the touch screen, although some posters in this thread found it grand. I hope I won't regret my decision, but I'm usually pretty careful. My daughter also knitted me a little case for it for Mother's Day - looks great and does the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

VNC with Public IP of course :rolleyes:
    - it's very cool and free :cool:

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The video camera got it's first serious field test today, and in comparison to the N95 it outright sucked balls. :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bambi wrote: »
    The video camera got it's first serious field test today, and in comparison to the N95 it outright sucked balls. :mad:

Really? Any videos i've taken have looked brilliant. And that's both full and low light conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not the camera quality more the OS probably, eight recording sessions of 2 minutes, it decided to stop recording on three of them and didn't save what it had recorded. The rest have noticeable pauses and judders on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Not the camera quality more the OS probably, The rest have noticeable pauses and judders on them.

Yes i've noticed the same:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know if free voice navigation is on the way for ovi maps and what is the latest with pc suite support?

• Advertisement

just installed latest versions of both on my freshly rebuilt PC (just got my first SSD drive :D) ovi is still fecked, but there's basic (contacts, calendar, notes) support in the old nokia pc suite still for the n900, which has been a lifesaver. still pretty bad form that ovi doesn't work with it though, even after all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Three major issues with this phone so far (other than that I am loving it).

1. No PC Suite support

2. No free OVI Maps

3. Exchange Mail. My account has hundreds of folders so updates take forever. I only really want 4 or 5 folders to sync. Have tried mfefolders but it does not work for me. When I launch it, it first asks me to make sure account is not turned on and mfe is not syncing,. I hit continue (as I am OK on both fronts) and it then hangs and eventually brings me back to the desktop without any error. Anyone else using this app. Any ideas?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    1. No PC Suite support
    it works for me, in so far as i can sync my contacts & calendar which was the moain thing for me.

no access to texts via pc though and the other stuff doesn't work, but as long as i can sync i'm fine for now.

any kind of ovi support would be a good start though, particularly since it's been so long.

i'm starting to wonder if nokia learnt anything from the whole n97 debacle at all.

the irony of it all for me is that i won two n97's in a ovi competition but as i already had an n97 i asked if they'd swap them for n900's which they very obligingly did, so now i have (via an ovi competition) two free phones from nokia that so far are totally incompatible with the ovi suite.

still, can't really complain, all things considered. :o

EDIT: should probably clarify that whilst the OVI suite doesn't work at all with the n900, the old Nokia PC Suite (google it, you can still get it off nokia) does work for contacts, calendar and notes sync but doesn't have full functionality yet.

anyone found a good free video converter for the n900 yet?

would be a shame to waste all that prime widescreen real estate on music alone. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Not the camera quality more the OS probably, eight recording sessions of 2 minutes, it decided to stop recording on three of them and didn't save what it had recorded. The rest have noticeable pauses and judders on them.

I have the same problem, seriously unstable video recording, totally useless in fact. Video recording application crashes on me after 10-20 seconds of recording.

spockety wrote: »
    I have the same problem, seriously unstable video recording, totally useless in fact. Video recording application crashes on me after 10-20 seconds of recording.

Mine seems fine - quite good clips actually. Was yours always like this or did it develop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've always used Super from erightsoft.
    Linky

would be a shame to waste all that prime widescreen real estate on music alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Maybe try this? I haven't tried it yet.
    http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Video/Nokia-Internet-Tablet-Video-Converter-57667.shtml

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've tried a few avi files and they play fine. No need for a converter.

As for pc suite. What advantage does it have over the built in back up utility. I used it when I sent my faulty one back for an exchange and it seemed to back up everything even my saved wifi networks and files I believe.

Also, does anyone know how to add the n900 to a workgroup. It would be nice to be able to access my file server here in the house.

• Advertisement

I've tried a few avi files and they play fine. No need for a converter.

As for pc suite. What advantage does it have over the built in back up utility. I used it when I sent my faulty one back for an exchange and it seemed to back up everything even my saved wifi networks and files I believe.

Also, does anyone know how to add the n900 to a workgroup. It would be nice to be able to access my file server here in the house.
    thanks. i added the extra codecs from the "extras-testing" repo but i didn't actually check what codecs were included. if itplays back avi's fine then i guess theres (finally) no need to convert any video's for mobile viewing, yay! :)

as for the nokia pc suite, the main thing was using it to sync to my outlook calendar and contacts, primarily when moving from my (and my g/f's) previous phones n97 and 5800 respectively) but its handy to have them sync via BT periodically during the day at work via the bluetooth on my work and home PC's so my calendar and contacts stay up to date, no matter where i add/edit entries.

Advertisement