Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Anyone have a URL for BBC Radio stations such as 5 Live, 6 music. I want to enter them in to my Internet Radio, but all I can find online are streams on iPlayer, and not the URL needed for the n900s radio? Or just a list of good radio station URLs to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

flop wrote: »
    Hi All,

I Just picked up my N900 on Wednesday, and I am loving it.

Is there a post/thread with a list of essential apps for this device?

Thanks
    Flop

Welcome to the 900 club! Now enjoy!!

Here is your link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055813369

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

is anyone with the o2 data bundle struggling to keep their data usage down. Even basic sites with just text loading seems to horse the data out of it.

I never got near using my 250mb with the N95 using Opera mini and I'd be on it all day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

podge018 wrote: »
    is anyone with the o2 data bundle struggling to keep their data usage down. Even basic sites with just text loading seems to horse the data out of it.

I never got near using my 250mb with the N95 using Opera mini and I'd be on it all day.

Opera mini routes all data through their servers and compresses the crap out of it to reduce data usage. The browser on the n900 doesn't have this so that's probably why.

In other news, sent my n900 back to o2 for a replacement last thursday and I still haven't gotten my new one yet over a week later. Seriously pissed off over it. If I can't get something sorted in the o2 store tomorrow then I'm gonna be looking into cancelling the contract with them as it's beyond a joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Im having a bit of trouble with apps/updates etc.

Firstly I can't download apps over my home wifi, I have to use my network connection.

Secondly, in application manager, when I refresh I get failed catalogues.

Help please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Firstly I can't download apps over my home wifi, I have to use my network connection.

Help please.

Happeend to me, it was the DNS settings believe it or not, use googles DNS servers or something similar. I still get failed updates though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Help please.

This is probably the DNS issue that other people had. Try to setup your connection to use a static DNS server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Help please.

Are you getting failed catalogues due to the connection error?

Someone on the maemo.org forum had the same problem, web fine over wifi, app manager not working. The solution was to change the DNS servers in settings, could be a network specific fault (ie something to do with your router). Have you tried it over a different wifi network? Anyway, here is the thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45324

Also, check which catalogues are failing and see that the addresses and fields are all spelt correctly. Fremantle rather than freemantle, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 defoe18

I had the same problem so i reinstalled the firmware using nokia software updater and it worked a treat. So far the problem hasnt arisen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Can anyone tell me how to add a GPRS connection. I thought it would be under settings - connectivity like most Nokias but it only allows me to add a wifi network.

• Advertisement

Nephew wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to add a GPRS connection. I thought it would be under settings - connectivity like most Nokias but it only allows me to add a wifi network.

Get "fAPN" from the app manager which lets you add custom/extra data connections. No idea why the n900 cannot do it by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 leonardbenn

towel401 wrote: »
    The word on the street is that this yoke will be out soon. Much like the other 2 internet tablets but can be used as a phone

This is not all that different to the N97 except it might be a slightly more serious version (N97 is more for the Media/Social networking/Arty Farty/Expensive coffee types) and will run Maemo 5 rather than Symbian. hopefully a proper SIP client and a real email client rather than Nokia Messaging's 'man in the middle' service

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/05/24/exclusive-everything-there-is-to-know-about-nokias-next-tablet/

nice 1

Random wrote: »
    First look at the photo - christ it looks like a brick!

Further thoughts as I read the article ...
    - Ok, so the photo is only a mock one .. that's fine .. let's hope the actual one has a bit of style to it.
    - 5 meg camera always a plus, as is GPS
    - Don't know much about Maemo 5 really so can't comment ..

MEh . ... no more thoughts really until I read more details.

true .

Dankoozy wrote: »
    if that thing is real its pretty cool.

better Polish up on my Pycnn

how much

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

matrim wrote: »
    This is probably the DNS issue that other people had. Try to setup your connection to use a static DNS server

I think it might be the same issue as with other Linux distros (e.g. Ubuntu 9.10). They attempt an IPV6 AAAA lookup which is not supported by the likes of an Eircom router (which is the advertised DNS for a DSL connection using DHCP).

nice 1

That post is from 9 months ago, this phone has been out a few months now
    how much

Between 5-600 euro sim free. Cheaper from o2 or Vodafone on contract or pre-pay

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Jicked wrote: »
    Anyone have a URL for BBC Radio stations such as 5 Live, 6 music. I want to enter them in to my Internet Radio, but all I can find online are streams on iPlayer, and not the URL needed for the n900s radio? Or just a list of good radio station URLs to add?

Hi

Try and use http://www.eire.fm/ and just hover over the station you want to get the link.

Edit: sorry bout that
    Seems to work for the .asx extentions but not others which are for real media or something. try this maybe http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/6music.asx
    or ones here http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/2008/11/bbc_testing_live_internet_streams.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Anyone tried updating the maps on n900? (now that nokia are offering free voice nav for life)

Had to edit a qf file in the mydocs folder to get my pc suite to recognise my phone (weird problem but whatever it works now)

Currently updating maps for the last 50minutes:
    293ca177b2.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone tried updating the maps on n900? (now that nokia are offering free voice nav for life)

Had to edit a qf file in the mydocs folder to get my pc suite to recognise my phone (weird problem but whatever it works now)

Currently updating maps for the last 50minutes:
    293ca177b2.png

Cool. I'm gonna give it a go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

funkyflea wrote: »

Could you explain how to do this please - as simply as possible? :o I installed Map Loader on my PC, attached the N900 via USB and have alternately chosen both Mass Loader (as instructed on the site) and PC Suite mode, but neither seem to recognise my phone :confused: A pop up instruction regarding choosing an item with a + makes no sense at all. Am I supposed to uninstall the Ovi maps that came installed on the phone? It is version 1.01 and I see the new version is 3.3. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Going to jump ship from maemo and try android. The n900 is a great device but kinda wasted on me. Going to sell it if anyone interested.

Going to jump ship from maemo and try android. The n900 is a great device but kinda wasted on me.

++ mod note from Random - please use www.adverts.ie to sell! ++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

LOVIN' my n900 after the harrowing experience of owning a n(ightmare)97 :)

I have a few issues hopefully someone may be able to offer some advice

1. Can receive but can't send email from eircom.net account via 'home' access point, UPC is my ISP. The settings I'm using are identical to previous phones and my current Outlook Express settings which work fine. outgoing mail server : smtp.upcmail.ie ; port 25.Checked and doubled checked all settings user name password, also deleted and recreated account numerous times

2. Gmail account won't leave messages on server for Outlook to download later. 'leave message on server' is ticked but no joy (eircom.net account works fine, 'leaves message on server' for OE to download later )

3 SIP - love this feature :); I have a 'justvoip' account which works a treat and connects no problem via my 'home' access point, however I can't connect via Vodafone ISP or Live - I get 'network error' message in availability.

What a fantastic phone !!!!

Cheers...

Loggie wrote: »
    Going to jump ship from maemo and try android. The n900 is a great device but kinda wasted on me.

++ mod note from Random - please use www.adverts.ie to sell! ++
    no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Picked one up today. Lovin' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok have see a few on Google and did not want to post in Motor Forum, if need be mods move this, but has anyone seen a hands free kit for this phone ? Have seen some on Proclip but the Brodit looks better. Maybe better to go bluetooth road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

Again, please use Adverts.ie for selling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Domscard wrote: »
    Could you explain how to do this please - as simply as possible? :o I installed Map Loader on my PC, attached the N900 via USB and have alternately chosen both Mass Loader (as instructed on the site) and PC Suite mode, but neither seem to recognise my phone :confused: A pop up instruction regarding choosing an item with a + makes no sense at all. Am I supposed to uninstall the Ovi maps that came installed on the phone? It is version 1.01 and I see the new version is 3.3. Thanks

Yeah, same here. Not really sure where to start and it would be great to have voice directions.

A link to a howto document or something would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my n900's from nokia FINALLY arrived yesterday so i spent the evening doing updates and downloading stuff (twice, it was actually hard work!) at home via wifi, but since i started with it my o2 internet settings seem to have disappeared for some reason.

i'm guessing that something i installed last night has deleted or hidden them but i've no idea what or where. anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

thx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone here get an update notification this morning?

Looking at the number it appears to only be a couple of versions up verses PR1.1.1 so it might be this for the UK devices.

Advertisement