Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs (asking/offering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I rang up boston and medtronic after getting my Honours degree last July and they wouldn't even talk to me. Just told me to check the website, which I never find any new listings on for graduates.
    I've been told by a few people that it's quite hard to get in unless you know someone already working there. Seems to be true for me so far. I have always been very interested in working in one of the medical device places here but it's impossible. It's all about the experience in these times. They would rather take on a leaving cert dropout with with a bit of experience in factory work than a science graduate tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Asmodean wrote: »
    I rang up boston and medtronic after getting my Honours degree last July and they wouldn't even talk to me. Just told me to check the website, which I never find any new listings on for graduates.
    I've been told by a few people that it's quite hard to get in unless you know someone already working there. Seems to be true for me so far. I have always been very interested in working in one of the medical device places here but it's impossible. It's all about the experience in these times. They would rather take on a leaving cert dropout with with a bit of experience in factory work than a science graduate tbh.
    I have a few relations in there. Have previous experience and they told me they weren't interested unless I was working a full year which seems fair enough.

I'd love to even know where they post available positions. The only vacancies that go up on the site are for the more senior areas and not suitable for graduate level entries. I have had no luck with the recruitment agencies either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They would rather take on a leaving cert dropout with with a bit of experience in factory work than a science graduate tbh.

Which makes perfect sense for the product-builder positions. From what I hear it's very tedious, repetitive work. Folks with degrees looking to build a career most probably won't stick at it for long.

Only advice I'd give is to work all your contacts: you need someone to tip you the nod about when to approach the recruiters. I have a feeling that Boston (or maybe Medtronic ... easy to confuse 'em) use Cregg for their product builder temps, so that would be the website to check.

That's true but that makes life very difficult for us graduates. No jobs without experience, no one willing to hire a degree holder incase they leave so where do we get that experience.
    I know personally I'd love a job at any level in a Science based factory to try and work my way up a bit but in this climate its very difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

That's true but that makes life very difficult for us graduates. No jobs without experience, no one willing to hire a degree holder incase they leave so where do we get that experience.
    I know personally I'd love a job at any level in a Science based factory to try and work my way up a bit but in this climate its very difficult.

What's your CV like? Do you have any general work experience..not just in that sector? any gaps in your work history?

If I was looking at a CV and saw somebody that say was a graduate who only ever worked 2 or 3 summer jobs I wouldn't call them for an interview. If somebody focused too much on acolades for team sports I'd look into that. Is it someone who might need a lot of time off at short notice to go play a match somewhere...

Where is the office located...do they have a license or could they be late and use a late bus as an excuse. Would call references to ask about bad qualities and how often that person was off sick...But that's just me..

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? My brother might be interested.

Sorry bud! Was in Subway some day last week and they had that abortion of a radio station on. Said to e-mail in a CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Sorry bud! Was in Subway some day last week and they had that abortion of a radio station on. Said to e-mail in a CV

Sorry man, but please don't use that word in regards a TV, Radio, or basically anything other than it's meaning. I'm not an anti this that or the other, but, I did cringe (not in a good way) readin your post cuz of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Sorry man, but please don't use that word in regards a TV, Radio, or basically anything other than it's meaning. I'm not an anti this that or the other, but, I did cringe (not in a good way) readin your post cuz of it.
    Cringed more when you said 'cuz' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

JustMary wrote: »
    Only advice I'd give is to work all your contacts: you need someone to tip you the nod about when to approach the recruiters. I have a feeling that Boston (or maybe Medtronic ... easy to confuse 'em) use Cregg for their product builder temps, so that would be the website to check.

Medtronic use Cregg recruitment. AFAIK Boston use ICE Recruitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Anyone know of any promotional work going in Galway? (not door-to-door sales) Or of a company in Galway that offers this type of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

ourtrail wrote: »
    Anyone know of any promotional work going in Galway? (not door-to-door sales) Or of a company in Galway that offers this type of work?

http://www.verve.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

HMV are recruiting again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Kinda true, but you need to be willing to work your way up in those companies. Most science/eng/IT positions are advertised internally, so if a post comes up, then you have a better chance. Of course you have to be there at a while before you can work your way up.

Very few companies hire new graduates for a qualified position these days, they prefer if you're already in the company, they can see how well you can work in their company beforehand. Alot of people my age are waiting for the 'qualified job' straight away, but its not really happening in this recession.
    Im a science based graduate, but i was willing to start off working on the lines, and i actually like it, alot more than i thought. Plus the money is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy00

<sorry, you're not allowed to use this forum to gain profit. That means not advertise your wares or trade.
    If you want to advertise with boards.ie for a charge mail hello@boards.ie
    If anything is unclear, PM me
    biko, moderator>

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DeirdreCon

is this position still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

http://www.gamestopjobs.ie/Vacancies

As of now there's a part-time sales assistant vacancy..

EDIT: Gone today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UrsulaS

Hello ;) If someone heard about some job in Galway please let me know :) Full or part-time. My level of english is like you can see here, not good, not so bad. :) It can be anything. I am not desperate I have job now but looking for something different. Greedings :)

Hi There,

CPM are currently recruiting for several exciting new positions!
    AES Limerick - Residential Field Sales - 8 week contract initially, €10 per hour and uncapped commission
    Eircom Nationwide - Residential Field Sales - permanent, excellent package on offer, base salary, uncapped commission, car allowance and mileage.

To apply for these, or any of our other vacancies please visit:
    http://jobs.cpm-int.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So I've given up for the summer for looking for jobs.

Now looking for weekend jobs from September on, if anyone knows of any give me a PM.

Commerce/Masters student with marketing, retail and hospitality experience.

• Advertisement

Give this a go before you quit:
    http://www.jobsguideireland.com/galway-races-jobs-2010/

Only temporary but still a job all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

anyone know where you would go about applying for working in the tote for the races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mxc82

halfback5 wrote: »
    anyone know where you would go about applying for working in the tote for the races

http://cms.tote.ie/Content/Tote/Jobs.aspx?id=5048

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tumblywumbly

halfback5 wrote: »

They advertised about a month ago and were holding interviews last week. You might be a bit too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

Anybody know of any jobs that will be going for the college term? or the remainder of the summer if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Anybody know of any jobs that will be going for the college term? or the remainder of the summer if possible?

I'm in the same boat, PM me of you know of any going.

Marketing grad doing a masters, retail and hospitality experience also.

This could be seen as a tease but my g/f is looking for another job at the moment, she started looking yesterday and already has a lot of prospects. She has applied for loads of jobs around the city. It seems like there are a lot of jobs going.

I won't name places until she gets a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

Wompa1 wrote: »
    This could be seen as a tease but my g/f is looking for another job at the moment, she started looking yesterday and already has a lot of prospects. She has applied for loads of jobs around the city. It seems like there are a lot of jobs going.

I won't name places until she gets a job :)
    theres a few jobs going in womens fashion at the moment around town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crashvictim

Sorry folks have had to remove this post. Got a bit of an earful for putting it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 carraigard

Hi, need a painter to properly prepare and paint (stain) an outdoor wooden gate - somebody that does a good job without costing the price of a new gate!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement