Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs (asking/offering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

took a walk round town there with a cv in my hand and a glint in my eye..
    argos..sorry not taking in cv's
    tesco..sorry not taking in cv's
    pennys..sorry not taking in cv's
    smaller fashion shops..sorry not taking in cv's

you know tis bad when they wont even pretend and say
    "oh ya sound ill pass it on to the manager"

couple of hours later, return home with the same cv in my hand and that glint i once had well and truely gone outta me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

papagormo wrote: »

couple of hours later, return home with the same cv in my hand and that glint i once had well and truely gone outta me!

Ah well you'd need to be trying a wee bit harder than that anyway :p

i did..just after handin in a cv into a known but not well loved discobar/scumbag pub/club not really sure what its supposed to be thing on foster street..times are rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Be wary that some places are cutting wage bills this summer but having a rolling system of staff on trial. I'm living with some foreign guys and they've done a few of these trial sessions, week or so of easy (don't require much/any training) work, no problems after the week, then not hired, just another trial worker taken on. Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

if yer a chick and yer hot and can stomach a big load i've a job for ya :D (Fully legit, PM for details) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you see the clothes store in Abbeygate St that has a sign up saying Staff Wanted? (up the road a bit from Gourmet Tart).

At the moment, I don't think that it's worth asking in places unless they have signs up.

gary82 wrote: »
    Be wary that some places are cutting wage bills this summer but having a rolling system of staff on trial. I'm living with some foreign guys and they've done a few of these trial sessions, week or so of easy (don't require much/any training) work, no problems after the week, then not hired, just another trial worker taken on. Not cool.

A day is a trial.

A week is taking the p*ss, especially since they can let "new" employees go for no reason at all anytime during the first year.

JustMary wrote: »
    Did you see the clothes store in Abbeygate St that has a sign up saying Staff Wanted? (up the road a bit from Gourmet Tart).

At the moment, I don't think that it's worth asking in places unless they have signs up.

hi, thanks for that i didnt see it.is it a mens or womens clothes shop? ill drop in a cv tomorrow

A day is a trial.

A week is taking the p*ss, especially since they can let "new" employees go for no reason at all anytime during the first year.

Yeah but "employees" get paid, not so if you're just on trial!

hi, thanks for that i didnt see it.is it a mens or womens clothes shop? ill drop in a cv tomorrow

Womens. But sorry, the sign was still there mid-afternoon on Saturday, but is gone now. I guess they got someone.

If you're looking for shop work, and have experience, I would seriously recommend walking around town every day. Signs come and go very quickly, so get all your friends and family on the lookout for you too.

• Advertisement

Yeah but "employees" get paid, not so if you're just on trial!

Kinda my point:
    The only reason companies are doing this is because idiots are willing to work for free. The best way to stop it is to dry up the supply of idiots: if someone offers you a week's "trial" before you get a job, offer to do a day, but say firmly that you think a week is exploitation and are not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pepeee70

hi all,

i am looking for a copy writer to write texts and articles for my online art shop that i am creating at the moment. as my mother language is not english- i dont fell strong enough to make it myself.

requirements:

you need a great imagination, writing sklills and adequate level of education, preferably experience in that matter ( writong articles etc).

my website will sell art- so i expect you to hace a "feeling" of that.

please contact me on xxx@hotmail.com

The Spud House on Newcastle Road have a "Staff Wanted" poster up at the moment.

Kinda my point:
    The only reason companies are doing this is because idiots are willing to work for free. The best way to stop it is to dry up the supply of idiots: if someone offers you a week's "trial" before you get a job, offer to do a day, but say firmly that you think a week is exploitation and are not interested.

There's too many other people in the jobs market for this to work. Also there are genuine jobs which require a weeks trial, hard to know which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's too many other people in the jobs market for this to work. Also there are genuine jobs which require a weeks trial, hard to know which is which.

It is simply illegal to get someone to work a week unpaid, at least in any job that pays taxes.
    A certain hotel in Galway that is close to the water was, until recently (I assume it has stopped), 'hiring' people for a weeks unpaid trial, then pretty consistently 'letting them go'.

One woman, a friend of a friend and an EU national, legal to work here had this happen, she didn't know she was on an 'unpaid trial' and went to get her wages - to be told they didn't need her anymore, and her work was unpaid.

She got legal help via Citizens Info and surprise surprise, the paid her the second they were approached.

Spread the word, this is illegal and exploits people. Surprised Duffy didn't get a hold of this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Couch Potatoes.

Also there are genuine jobs which require a weeks trial, hard to know which is which.

Oh yeah? Name some.

The lack of unfair dismissals act protection during the first year means that everyone is effectively on trial for the first 12 months. But it's a paid trial. Employers who are saying that they require a week's unpaid trial should be treated with the same respect they are showing to potential staff, and invited to experience some sex+travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cut lawns are you mad? id prefer to be chillin with a few cans than working in the sunshine.

Old post I know, and if memory serves this dude was banned - but it's attitudes like that which will keep us in recession. Innovate, dont lounge back and get drunk every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

The hospital is nearly always looking for staff for the shop or catering. Wages are generally slightly over minimum pay. May be split shifts though which most people refuse to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Schuhe on shop street (however its spelt) are looking for sales advisor's currently, advertising a wage of 9.65p/h. See the notice outside the shop for more details

• Advertisement

Ladies clothes shop opposite The Kings Head have a staff wanted sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

sdonn wrote: »
    Old post I know, and if memory serves this dude was banned - but it's attitudes like that which will keep us in recession. Innovate, dont lounge back and get drunk every day.
    Ya this a serious recession, no joking, don't even smiile. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

'Instore' in the Wellpark shopping place have a staff wanted sign, as does the little shop beside it (think it's called Milish).

Angelandie wrote: »
    The hospital is nearly always looking for staff for the shop or catering. Wages are generally slightly over minimum pay. May be split shifts though which most people refuse to work.

Where do they advertise?

For people's info, there have been a lot of signs in shop etc windows in the last fortnight. May just be a temporary blip with college starting, but it's good for some anyway.

Not sure if it's still there today, but Providence Market Kitchen in Abbeygate St had a sign up for experienced waiting and barista staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

The Front Door are looking for waiting staff, and theres a few more places down quay street all looking for waiters/waitresses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Any vacancies around the city for a lad with 3years bar exp. and also admin exp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

xp90 wrote: »
    Any vacancies around the city for a lad with 3years bar exp. and also admin exp?

Pubs are the one business I see a lot of vacancies for. During my job hunts I would enquire and was often told that 2/3 years bar experience was required to apply, so id say your in luck. Just have a walk around town once a week looking at pub fronts and I guarantee you will find at least 1 'bar staff wanted' poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

Just noticed a advert for a job in their shop window while walking the doggie, if anyone's intrested.

http://www.pressed4time.ie/locations.html
    Unit 3 Roscam House,
    Roscam, Co Galway
    Phone: 091 764760

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The cafe CoCo near Roches/side entrance to Eyre Square dunnes have a staff wanted sign..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

3G are looking for sales consultants

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement