Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs (asking/offering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wompa1 wrote: »
    3G are looking for sales consultants

'Consultants'? Jeez some companies will try to glamourise anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

The Off-License beside Forster Court is looking for part-time staff

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

Finally got a temping position for two weeks in September, really good job too so hoping to wedge my foot in the door somehow so they will keep me. I've tried months to get a job of any description so very happy with this.

I did a serious amount of research about the company beforehand and made sure that they knew it. I think the HR girl thought I was a right nerd but the accountant was suitably impressed.

The agency that got it for me was Icegroup. I had sent my cv around to loads of agencies recently looking for temping work and they were the only ones who got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Evergreen Health Foods store on Mainguard St. looking for a full-time sales assistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Ah, Currys. That brings back memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

On a walk thru town this morning, saw wanted signs for:

Mocha beans in Forster St - experienced staff

Centra, Forster St - deli staff

Barnacles - night porter and a receptionist

Claddagh and Celtic jewellery (the one down by Jury's) - part time staff

Several Quay St restaurants wanting waiting, cleaning, portering staff

And the Enable shop has a sign up looking for volunteers, I guess it'd be one way to get retail experience.

Yesterday, saw a sign in the Western Hotel for bar staff. And Richardsons also had a sign up a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

JustMary wrote: »
    On a walk thru town this morning, saw wanted signs for:

Mocha beans in Forster St - experienced staff

Centra, Forster St - deli staff

Barnacles - night porter and a receptionist

Several Quay St restaurants wanting waiting, cleaning, portering staff

And the Enable shop has a sign up looking for volunteers, I guess it'd be one way to get retail experience.

Yesterday, saw a sign in the Western Hotel for bar staff. And Richardsons also had a sign up a few days ago.

So what you are saying is that there are jobs out there if only people will look! They may not be paying top dollar but it is a lot better than drawing the dole . . . even from a psychological point of view.

dec25532 wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that there are jobs out there if only people will look! They may not be paying top dollar but it is a lot better than drawing the dole . . . even from a psychological point of view.

Yes and no.

I am saying that:

1) these signs are there

2) there are far more of them than there have been at the same time for the last 12-ish months, and

3) I regard this as a good sign: we're not out of the woods, but hopefully it means the pressure has eased a bit.

I'm not making any statements about whether people are looking or not, and whether part time jobs are better than signing.

FYI, some part-time jobs aren't: if you're offered, say 3 hours a day, five days a week at minimum wage, you lose all access to benefits and probably get less in the hand - certainly not enough to live on. This may be psychologically better than signing, and getting a foot in the door may lead to more hours. But it may not too, and happiness doesn't pay the rent.

Mace of Forster St (up the top, across from the Tourist Office) has a sign up for weekday staff: 8am-6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Is there any weekend style jobs going around? (Well mainly weekend). Something 15 hours max thursday to sunday. Ive been looking around town but to no avail.

I've 2 years in hotel work and thats it really. Would like to get into retail but I think theres not much chance with no experience. If anyone would point me in the right direction (not Jobs.ie lol) i'd be more than grateful :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

JustMary wrote: »

My friend worked for them once, nicest boss he ever had.

Is that the Niall McNeills fella? Met him a few times doing charity work - seemed like a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Times are tough alright but sure just chill out on the dole for the summer, who wants to be working in this heat anyway, relax get a few cans a nice suntan and just chill out on the beach:D

thats why Galway is dropout capital of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Is that the Niall McNeills fella? Met him a few times doing charity work - seemed like a gentleman
    Aye that's him.
    Him and his wife run that shop but my friend was working for a different shop he was running.

Was a sound boss by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

AND I AM HE (who was working for Neill). Wonderful man, cant express my gratitude to him, he completely saved my summer/ year of college with the job he gave me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

He is really nice, I used to mind his daughter when I worked in the creche but she left when they moved I think. They have had another since but they are lovely people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xx_lil_lee_xx

anyone know of jobs in city centre or salthill areas in childcare,house keeping or caring for elderly or disabled and other options considered searched hi and low:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

anyone know of jobs in city centre or salthill areas in childcare,house keeping or caring for elderly or disabled and other options considered searched hi and low:confused:

You clearly haven't looked in the Classified section of the Galway Advertiser under 'situations vacant'.. loads of jobs like personal assistant, pre school assistants, live in carers, nursing home staff etc and there is a whole section for 'Childminding'...I read it last Thursday and was surprised there was so many jobs...

You clearly haven't looked in the Classified section of the Galway Advertiser under 'situations vacant'.. loads of jobs like personal assistant, pre school assistants, live in carers, nursing home staff etc and there is a whole section for 'Childminding'...I read it last Thursday and was surprised there was so many jobs...

i have there none left available or near enough when i rang up :((

Sorry to hear that. Have the phone ready thursday morning and start ringing and be prepared to make visits/interview. Contact the IWA/GCIL/Enable Ireland and ask for an application form and ask when you send it back they keep it on file. Some places will in terms of christmas staff. Check the college disability officer she often has a few hours a week for people to assist other people in college win may have a visual or physical impairment. They need help taking notes etc. A few hours but a start.

• Advertisement

Check the college disability officer she often has a few hours a week for people to assist other people in college win may have a visual or physical impairment. They need help taking notes etc. A few hours but a start.

Also try the Access Officer. When I was in 1st year in college I got a job typing out lectures (ie. what the lecturer was saying) for a deaf girl - 30euro/hr :eek: Oh, and I learned some stuff too :pac:

Sorry to hear that. Have the phone ready thursday morning and start ringing and be prepared to make visits/interview. Contact the IWA/GCIL/Enable Ireland and ask for an application form and ask when you send it back they keep it on file. Some places will in terms of christmas staff. Check the college disability officer she often has a few hours a week for people to assist other people in college win may have a visual or physical impairment. They need help taking notes etc. A few hours but a start.

whats the-IWA/GCIL/Enable Ireland? and which college? tanks so much for your hep.i even have an ad in for this thurs advtiser

Also try the Access Officer. When I was in 1st year in college I got a job typing out lectures (ie. what the lecturer was saying) for a deaf girl - 30euro/hr :eek: Oh, and I learned some stuff too :pac:

cool tanx. but would ya have be fast at typin for that im quick but wouldn be quick enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cool tanx. but would ya have be fast at typin for that im quick but wouldn be quick enough

Hope she can read text speak.

mikom wrote: »
    Hope she can read text speak.
    what???

Dont use text speak on here it annoys the hell out of people!! Irish Wheelchair Association and the Galway Centre for Independent Living. If you are planning on finding work in this area I would suggest you familiarise yourself with agency names and service providers. Good luck with the hunt and well done putting an ad in the paper. Just remember that garda clearance takes 6weeks or more before you can start work.

Dont use text speak on here it annoys the hell out of people!! Irish Wheelchair Association and the Galway Centre for Independent Living. If you are planning on finding work in this area I would suggest you familiarise yourself with agency names and service providers. Good luck with the hunt and well done putting an ad in the paper. Just remember that garda clearance takes 6weeks or more before you can start work.
    ooops sorry. do you know...i got garda clearance in last job do i have to get it for every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Is there any jobs in Hospiality (hotels, bars and restaurants) going in Galway city/salthill?

Somewhere near terryland would be excellent but I know there's not much chance of it happening.

I'm a student so something around the weekend would be perfect (just incase anyone hiring is looking on Boards.ie)

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Is there any jobs in Hospiality (hotels, bars and restaurants) going in Galway city/salthill?

Somewhere near terryland would be excellent but I know there's not much chance of it happening.

I'm a student so something around the weekend would be perfect (just incase anyone hiring is looking on Boards.ie)

i did see a few ads on the galway advtiser last thurs but check again this thurs morn as soon as cause they all get snapped up quickly. if i hear of any thing il let you know. if you hear of anything in caring,childcare or housekeeping in same area let me know to please

• Advertisement

Just remember that garda clearance takes 6weeks or more before you can start work.

Lots of job ads now say "applicants must be willing to complete a garda clearance form" instead of "garda clearance required". This started happening a few (3-6?) months ago.

I've heard rumours that the guards aren't doing anything with applications until they've been submitted for six months.

I've also heard stories of organisations telling people that they can't be considered at all because they've lived overseas (the UK!), and so garda clearance isn't get-able at all. This one is complete ****, and could be a good line to get rid of a volunteer you don't want - except that in the cases I've heard it, the volunteers would have been very very suitable.

Seems to me that some employers must be letting people start before the clearance comes through, or they'd never get any staff.

OP, each separate organisation that employs you (or has you as a volunteer) has to apply for the clearance. So you need to complete the form each time, and they send it in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement