Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever kill yourself?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mewmoo

If I did I'd try and make my death somewhat useful to someone, like volunteering as a mine/bomb disposable expert.

Oh and make it as messy as possible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Karsini wrote: »
    When I was in the depths of depression I did consider it. However the thought of what effect it would have on my family and close friends was enough to stop me from ever attempting it.

I suppose when it gets to the stage where you think it may have a good effect, maybe that's the time?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

As a person in their right mind (stop laughing) who isn't suffering from depression or delusions, I can happily say I would never harm myself.

However, people who attempt suicide (and those who succeed of course) are not in their right minds.

For various reasons over the last couple of years, I've been under extreme stress (over and done wth now, thankfully). The stress was so bad it damaged my health. I have kidney damage that could be permanent which, believe it or not, after a plethora of tests, scans, ultrasounds, and being poked and prodded, has been put down to the level of stress I was under.

During the worst times of extreme stress, something quite interesting happened - my perspective shifted, and suddenly I had a clear and unimpaired view into the abyss, the pit of despair that people end up in when they try to kill themselves. That's all I can describe it as - it was like standing on the edge of a cliff and looking into a pit of hopeless, joyless, misery. Suddenly I understood with disturbing clarity how it is people can kill themselves, I understood the logic behind attempting to kill yourself as a cry for help, and I empathised with people who deliberately self harm.

I think it is very difficult for happy, well adjusted people to understand. Suicide is selfish to external viewers. To the person attempting to end their life, it's the ultimate solution because they hate themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

No.Honestly,Im too good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think this thread is specifically about depression/suicide though.

Say you are diagnosed with a terminal illness?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'd like to think that I wouldn't but, sure, circumstances and people change, like terminal illnesses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

gary nevillevil, don't call something 'bollox' if you've never been in that frame of mind. Especially something like suicide!

Learn some respect, Kiera is talking from personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I would say a definite no to killing myself. Can't see anything getting so bad in my life at this stage that I would need to end it.

I don't know anyone personally who has killed themselves, but I know of people who have died too young etc. who didn't deserve to die and that makes me think twice or more about doing anything to end it all.

It resolves nothing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

yes but I would want to take a lot of innocent people with me too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

No never. Not while my parents are still alive. I care too much about the people around me. And i would be a coward about it too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Had an aunt who I would consider was a very strong willed, tough ol' bird. In her sixties. Got cancer, got treatment but it went terminal. After a long, long battle she killed herself. I would guess the pain just was too unimaginable and she felt it was the only way out.

So yes to the OP. If I was in that much pain with no hope of recovery I think I would kill myself. Whats the point in prolonging such pain ? I'm all for euthanasia(sp?) in such cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Mrmoe wrote: »
    yes but I would want to take a lot of innocent people with me too

Two questions to your post - you can choose which one to answer

1. Em.... Why?

2. Is this is a lame late hour AH response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Saibh wrote: »
    Two questions to your post - you can choose which one to answer

1. Em.... Why?

2. Is this is a lame late hour AH response.

To answer your second question yes it is.

To answer your first question, I find I don't fully appreciate life without the knowledge that I could end my life whenever i wanted. I think I appreciate it more that way. This is just my outlook and it does not necessarily apply to everybody nor am I advocating it for people who have mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

what seems like the most cowardly act a person can do takes more courage than nearly anything anyone will attempt.
    in my mind now,i would swear to never take my life, but unfortunately the mind is a peculiar thing.
    and as regards a terminal illness,id like to think id go out fighting. you oft hear bout people surviving after only been givin a slim chance o survival. usually its not terminal till you're in the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    No.Honestly,Im too good looking.

Would you say you're drop dead gorgeous? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

fcleere wrote: »
    what seems like the most cowardly act a person can do takes more courage than nearly anything anyone will attempt.
    in my mind now,i would swear to never take my life, but unfortunately the mind is a peculiar thing.
    and as regards a terminal illness,id like to think id go out fighting. you oft hear bout people surviving after only been givin a slim chance o survival. usually its not terminal till you're in the ground

Sorry but you are wrong there. There is a point where an illness is terminal. Just because you're not dead doesn't mean you're not in excruciating pain. Imagine your worst toothache where you think you're going to go mad from it. Can't sleep from it etc. Now multiple that a hundredfold and you might be somewhere close to the pain some people are dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

Rabies wrote: »
    gary nevillevil, don't call something 'bollox' if you've never been in that frame of mind. Especially something like suicide!

Learn some respect, Kiera is talking from personal experience.

oh so you know my past?
    and a poster named kiera can call my post bollox! but thats ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

I've tried but i botched it. I woke up. But i took it as a sign that i wasn't meant to die then and it changed everything in my life.i learned that no matter how awful and hopeless everything seems today,tomorrow could be the best day of your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Iv seen first hand what it can do to a family,and belive me its not a pretty picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Oh yes.
    I need to stop drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Kiera wrote: »
    I need to stop drinking.

Down With This Sort of Thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

<Ollie> wrote: »
    You need to change your location. People have been hurt over that. Just check out feedback ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Kiera wrote: »
    You need to change your location. People have been hurt over that. Just check out feedback ;)

I only changed my username today. I'll never leave Cork, the real capital, the people's republic. NEVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Certainly it comes up with yourself as an internally debated topic but could I do it? No, most definitely not. Too many people depend on me.
    But if I was in the position of the ''IT'S GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!'' Frosties kid (R.I.P. lol) where I got bullied everyday constantly and incessantly perhaps then it would seem a plausible avenue to take. But until I actually have to face proper suffering I must assert that I would never commit suicide for the hurt it would cause those around me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Euthanasia, yes. Suicide , no. But some people might ask, "What's the difference?"

Basically,if I was in a coma / had a horrible illness that I was never going to recover from, I'd rather my family just pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I could never kill myself, my guilt would follow me into the after life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

i agree. its very selfish, it'd be horrible on family and friends and the person that'd find you.

is it wrong that i think about it everyday though!?

Op said earlier that its needy - i argree. but what when you feel worthless in life, and a burde to others.

i honestly think ive a paranoia disorder sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

aloevera wrote: »
    i agree. its very selfish, it'd be horrible on family and friends and the person that'd find you.

is it wrong that i think about it everyday though!?

Op said earlier that its needy - i argree. but what when you feel worthless in life, and a burde to others.

i honestly think ive a paranoia disorder sometimes.

Probably not a great sign

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

if i was going to die a horrible painful lingering death otherwise, i would have to consider it strongly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Tried it at 14.
    I know that I could, but I don't think I'll ever choose to again.
    A year to the day later I sat back and thought, if I had managed it, i wouldn't have experienced anything I'd done in the last year.
    I definetely am grateful that I didn't succeed, but if things were ever that bad again, or worse, I'd probably comtemplate it.

Advertisement