Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever kill yourself?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 UsWe

Death is Easy, Life is Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

UsWe wrote: »
    Death is Easy, Life is Hard

Good Twilight quote!
    I agree with it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I think this is a question you can't answer.

It's impossible to know what is happening in the mind of people who attempt/commit suicide. And unless you experience something like that, I think it's impossible to say how you would handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Could I ever kill myself? I can honestly say it's not something I have ever considered at all. And maybe I'm a bit unusual in that respect - not everyone suffers from depression, but most people (in my experience) go through a bit of an angsty teenage phase where they consider suicide at least briefly ... I had the angst alright, but I honestly never ever considered killing myself.

My life's pretty good, but if it got bad, as far as I'm concerned there's a massive massive world out there, and nothing to stop me going far away and starting a whole new life for myself.

If I got sick, even if it was terminal, I'd like to think that I'd hold on for as long as I possibly could and die a natural death when the time came. Of course, I can't say for certain, never having been in that position.

However there's not much point discussing whether I'd do it because I was sick, or because of financial worries, etc. As far as I'm aware, the majority of people who kill themselves don't do so in response to external events/circumstances in their life - they do so because of depression, because of a chemical imbalance in their brain over which they have no control. Physical illness I can handle; mental illness is something which I have never experienced first-hand, the the thought of ever suffering from it terrifies me.

I know and understand this, that it's outside anyone's control; however if a friend or family member were to ever commit suicide, I know I would blame myself forever for not helping, or for not helping enough. I have no doubt about that. I'm sure there are plenty of others that feel the same - you know that logically it's not your fault, but you're going to spend the rest of your life wondering was there anything you could have done?

Even if I ever did come close to considering it, I would like to think that I'd bear this in mind, and not inflict such a future on my friends and family - no matter how hard and painful it would be for me to keep on living.

What a depressing post. I love my life, I have a lot going for me, and hopefully those things will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Obviously not life is amazing. Only weak people kill themselves or contemplate it.
    Try living in physical pain most of your life ,were even walking to a bathroom from your bedroom takes 25 minutes and at a snails pace then come back to us .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want my Mam or any family members to go through the pain ....

(of fighting over my priceless chattels!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Obviously not life is amazing. Only weak people kill themselves or contemplate it.

RugbyFanatic

Do not post in this thread again unless you have something worthwhile to contribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

No way would I do kill myself.

If I lost everything then I'd just take revenge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I'd only consider it if for some reason I had to die so that those I care about could live. I don't really see how something like that would crop up though.

However, the thread title 'Could you ever kill yourself?' is impossible to reply to accurately. We can all say no we wouldn't and that it's selfish, etc. but fact is unless you're in that situation one can't even contemplate it. It's an act stable and happy people are highly critical of because they've never been in a place as dark as many suicide victims have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I've heard people say that it's the ultimate act of bravery to take ones life.
    Personally i think there is nothing more cowardly no matter what with the one exception that is terminal illness.
    We all make mistakes in life and ****ty things just sometimes happen and what makes us worthwhile human beings is gathering ourselves up and putting ourselves back together again and battling against our troubles.
    In the situation like the OP the truly brave thing to do would be to spend the rest of your life trying to make up for it even if you knew no one would ever forgive you it's not about making other people think your good it's about building up and regaining your own self respect.
    To give up like that means you've lost all self worth. I've stood on the edge of that presipice where i did truely consider it because of what i thought others thought of me and i made a damn firm decision to never let others opinions get into my head again and i'm a much happier person because of it.
    I am who i am and i'm not perfect but neither is anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Don't mean to ruin the tone of the thread but I asked a friend once if he could ever kill himself. He said he would, there's no point going on if life becomes unbearable. So I said to him 'what about your friends and family? They would have to live with the pain'.

He immediately says that he has thought about this and that if he does decide to kill himself, he'll kill all his family first so they don't have to deal with the pain.

I don't see much of this guy anymore.

As for me, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Some people on this thread don't get it. You don't have to have a major episode in your life to contemplate suicide so it's not just a case of 'get on with it, you'll be grand'. People need help and as soon as people get over the fcuking stigma of someone with mental health problems maybe the more people that can be helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

If I were depressed to the point of suicide I'd try my hand at some heroin first, and maybe I'd do all sorts of other terrible things to make myself feel better.

If it were for some ideal or great purpose then I'd like to think I'd be able to do it. But who knows.

I don't think it's cowardly or anything like that, perhaps in some cases it is inconsiderate. But a well thought out and planned ahead suicide is quite the feat. I don't have an admiration for people who kill themselves because of physical pain though, that's a different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If I was hated for some reason by everyone I once new and loved? Probably, yeah. But until something like that happens I'll allow the world to continue enjoying my existence. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

DanGerMus wrote: »
    We all make mistakes in life and ****ty things just sometimes happen and what makes us worthwhile human beings is gathering ourselves up and putting ourselves back together again and battling against our troubles.
    Yes and something we dont give ourselfs enough credit for, getting back up again

In the situation like the OP the truly brave thing to do would be to spend the rest of your life trying to make up for it even if you knew no one would ever forgive you it's not about making other people think your good it's about building up and regaining your own self respect.
    Was listening to bbc news report today about a body of a suicide victim being dug up for DNA test as it's now thought the deceased , who addmited to a murder back in the early 80s but was not believed , may have being telling the truth after all .
    The DNA test will probablly prove once and for all if he did it but one of the question asked was, did this guy kill himself because of guilt at what he had done ? Like some people would not be able to live with themselfs and guilt be a major factor in a lot of suicides .

To give up like that means you've lost all self worth. I've stood on the edge of that presipice where i did truely consider it because of what i thought others thought of me and i made a damn firm decision to never let others opinions get into my head again and i'm a much happier person because of it.
    I am who i am and i'm not perfect but neither is anyone else.
    No , we are not and trying to live up to impossible expectations put on ourselfs ( or by others) is not very healthy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Thank God (or Budha), I'm human, like soo many, we wonder n yet worry if there is a "spirit in the sky"....lads, i'm after waachin too many people top themselves and then watch the destruction that follows! I am not a judge but what I do know is that when people decide to take their own lives, all we can do is stand back and watch!

this is something very close to me because I see what destruction the pre and post decision makes and ya know what? i do not hate nor care throw a decision on to someone that cannot take pain, at whatever level.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i've been deep down in the pit and so i understand why people do it but i decided to fight it out in the hope things would get better and they did.it's simply a matter of how you look a things.
    i could name about 12-15 guys (it always seems to be blokes) i knew growing up who've topped themselves,4 of them good friends(2 of 'em within a week of each other),and it still makes me angry.
    why didn't they ask and why didn't i see it?
    such a waste.

wudangclan wrote: »
    i've been deep down in the pit and so i understand why people do it but i decided to fight it out in the hope things would get better and they did.it's simply a matter of how you look a things.
    i could name about 12-15 guys (it always seems to be blokes) i knew growing up who've topped themselves,4 of them good friends(2 of 'em within a week of each other),and it still makes me angry.
    why didn't they ask and why didn't i see it?
    such a waste.

its never a waste, just people....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

RugbyFanatic

Do not post in this thread again unless you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Is the poster not entitled to their opinion?
    No one was attacked with this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

the lack of understanding of major mental illness is frightening.

• Advertisement

I thought this thread dissappeared....n ye know wat, i'm after seeing one or two peeps stand there n be ******rs....I wish i had the people that decided to take ther life out and then I would have some answers, not just for me but to one or two that I seem to be picking the pieces up from....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

In my eyes the person who succumbs to suicide is a weak individual everyone has problems but grow a pair and deal with them.

This and your last statement are not just offensive, they are also complete bollox. You haven't an earthly clue what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Could I commit suicide? Yes
    Would I commit suicide? hhmmm..that depends

But only say for example if my nieces or nephew needed a transplant etc and I was compatible and all other means exhausted.
    I wouldn't expect their parents to do it as they would be needed and since I don't have a family (kids etc) I'm gladly give me life to save theirs.
    I've seen people lose their kids to sickness and it tears them up. I can see they'd gladly give up their lives to save their kids if they could.

Interesting about the chemical imbalance thing..there always seems to be a history of suicides in the family for most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Absolutely,but only if I had a terminal disease. I think it should be allowed for terminal ill people to have the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I have been in very bad places in my life and the worst was when I was young and in school, I was bullied alot and thought about doing it, I know I could never do it as it would devastate my family and too many people rely on me for different things.

People who do it IMO are not selfish or cowards but rather sad mentally ill people, I think it is unfair to call suicide victims cowards or selfish as each persons circumstances are so different and I think Irish society badly needs to come out of itself with regards to mental illnesses. Alot of people have at some point in there lifes been down and this may be undiagnosed depression, people who admit openly then are stigmatised with terms like "mad in the head" and "there's a weakness there". Awareness of these issues is something we lack and people need to realise that it can be easier to hurt peoples feelings and that sometimes people are not all "hard men".

I really think I could never again contemplate it as life really is your own oyster and there is so so much you can do and try. We all have hopes and dreams and I hope to try and realise as many of them as possible in my life. One thing that helps me get through the low ebbs are happy memories and my belief in the afterlife. There is always something different each day and this alone is worth living for no matter how crap your life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

In my eyes the person who succumbs to suicide is a weak individual everyone has problems but grow a pair and deal with them.

Yes they are weak, mentally weak. Can they deal with their problems? Of course not if they're weak. Does someone deserve to die, even by their own hand, if they're weak?

NEVER.

Help and understanding are needed, not small minded comments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you never know till you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Not a chance.

Well, there is one scenario. Anyone ever see that video on youtube of the asteroid hitting earth and what would happen? If events played out the way they do in that video, we in Ireland would have several hours of media reporting, boards going mental, and a few hours to comprehend that we are ALL going to be dead in a few hours, and literally, not a single thing we do or say can change that. I would probably wait as late as possible so I wouldnt be killed by the searing heat or fire, and then die, on my own terms, in my own way.

Apart from that, no. Cos I could never meet Kimi if I did kill myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ottostreet wrote: »
    Not a chance.

Well, there is one scenario. Anyone ever see that video on youtube of the asteroid hitting earth and what would happen? If events played out the way they do in that video, we in Ireland would have several hours of media reporting, boards going mental, and a few hours to comprehend that we are ALL going to be dead in a few hours, and literally, not a single thing we do or say can change that. I would probably wait as late as possible so I wouldnt be killed by the searing heat or fire, and then die, on my own terms, in my own way.

Apart from that, no. Cos I could never meet Kimi if I did kill myself.

have a big party, nothing hurts when youre plastered drunk. you might blackout before it happens and then wake up somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

I was just read in about the recent suicide of Roh Moo-Hyun who killed himself due to his last legacy (being a clean politician), being muddied by recent corruption revelations.

A German billionaire killed himself when he lost everyhting a few months ago.

What would you do if you lost everything? Money, reputation, dignity etc.

Tbh, cowardly as it may sound, I wouldn't kill myself, no matter how much everyone else hated me.

Thats not cowardly- killing yourself and leaving behind everyone who loves you is cowardly

Advertisement