Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever kill yourself?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

For anyone who thinks suicide is selfish or for quitters or losers, thank your lucky stars that youv never had to feel the absolute and utter despair that completely distorts and destroys your reasoning, your logic and your innate belief in the preservation of life. Thank your lucky stars again that you dont think your so unbelievably worthless of anything that everyone, regardless of how much they love you would be better off without you because all you do is cry and hide from everyone, and sometimes dont even talk because your just so exhausted of fighting the constant thoughts of ending this big pile of ****tiness that is your life.

People know that mental illnesses exist, for eg schizophreia etc. So I wish that people would recognise other mental illnesses exist, perhaps somewhat more hidden and therefore taboo and embarrassing.

Im not condoning suicide as such, I do believe people can be helped and go on to lead good lives and I would urge people feeling this way to try every possible route for help be it anti-d's, therapy, hospitalisation etc because suicide is final and theres no coming back. Comparing the act of suicide as being unfair when people have terminal illnesses is unfair in itself. Id say most suicidal people would rather have a terminal illness and be someone who values life, as opposed to apparently being "lucky" in life but wishing you were dead! Depression witth suicidal tendencies is, to me, the worst thing people can suffer from.. its pure and simple hell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Babbit

People who say 'suicide is for quitters' don't have a ****ing clue. I've always noticed that people like me - ie, people with family members who killed themselves - aren't nearly so quick to judge. Depression is an evil, barely descripable illness of the mind - DO NOT DEMEAN IT. I always wonder how people can laugh at depression and other such illnesses - but get overly evangelical when someone mentions cancer. What is the difference between a disease of the mind and the body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Wow Its seems quite a lot of people try. Admittedly I did in my silly selfish teenage years and failed miserably but was very sick afterwards(liver damage).
    I cant even friggen kill myself right! Now.... now matter how bad things get I couldnt do that to my little boy....I would never want anyone to tell him his mammy killed herself:(

Ughhh Im going back to my happy place........its depressing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

andy23 wrote: »
    i secretly admire people who kill themselves.

i openly admire them , the world would be a much better place is more people commited suicide , anti social parriah,s and other toxic scum who turn thier hate outwards and engage in criminal lifestyles and such

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

irish_bob wrote: »
    i openly admire them , the world would be a much better place is more people commited suicide , anti social parriah,s and other toxic scum who turn thier hate outwards and engage in criminal lifestyles and such

I know what you're trying to say overall in that post but cop on. Comments like that aren't welcome. Seriously.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    I know what you're trying to say overall in that post but cop on. Comments like that aren't welcome. Seriously.

Its ludicrous that all he got is a slight slap of the wrist. His post was obscene and evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Babbit wrote: »
    Its ludicrous that all he got is a slight slap of the wrist. His post was obscene and evil.

it is you post with its visciously personal and baseless accusation that is obscene , i have reported you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

irish_bob wrote: »
    no you moron , killing oneself is for winners who cant live with the fact that they are failures , a loser wouldnt care if he was a failure

Banned for personal abuse of another poster.

Babbit please do not rise to trolling and also any comments/queries on moderator actions should be raised by PM and not on thread. This is just to stop threads being dragged off topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

A cousin of mine, 39 years of age, threw herself into the river suir two weeks ago. Most people were oblivious to the fact that she was in such pain despite the fact she had made so many threats to carry out the inevitable. I watched her entire family and mine, fall into despair.

Her sister was the last person to talk to her and i don't want to repeat what was said, but the girl carried out what was probably on her mind for near on 20 odd years because of stuff that happened in her childhood.

In the last 5 years, I have lost 7 people to suicide and each time I contemplate whats going on, it never makes sense. If someone is in soo much pain that the only way out of that pain is to die, then who's to say if it's the right or wrong thing to do. We'll never know and please God we'll never know what drives a misfortunate soul to such measures as to take their own life, in spite of what they leave behind.

All I say is, life's a b1tch and treat with respect, those that die in such a way as it leaves everyone they know, in such pain and awe.

RIP Shaz

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

javaboy wrote: »
    Banned for personal abuse of another poster.

Babbit please do not rise to trolling and also any comments/queries on moderator actions should be raised by PM and not on thread. This is just to stop threads being dragged off topic.

so why wasnt irish bob banned:rolleyes:.ffs Babbit only attacked the post not the poster;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

darren254 wrote: »
    so why wasnt irish bob banned:rolleyes:.ffs Babbit only attacked the post not the poster;)

Did you read Javaboy's full post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

What would you do if you lost everything? Money, reputation, dignity etc.

MONEY - Ive about 3500 in savings- believe me im sure id live:D (ok just copped v bad pun lol)

Rep - I dont have one of them- and if i do i sure dont know about it

Diginity - What???

Tbh, cowardly as it may sound, I wouldn't kill myself, no matter how much everyone else hated me.

No thats heroic- killing yourself is selfish and cowardly. Nothings so bad that you need to end your life

MONEY - Ive about 3500 in savings- believe me im sure id live:D (ok just copped v bad pun lol)

Rep - I dont have one of them- and if i do i sure dont know about it

Diginity - What???

No thats heroic- killing yourself is selfish and cowardly. Nothings so bad that you need to end your life

For the first saturday nite in like 3 years I've stayed in and ya know what? god help ya if ever have ta face something that you have no control over. I love boards, even though I'm only on here a couple of months, but to see someone make little of such a thing.....Thats not nice.....

renraw wrote: »
    God help ya if ever have ta face something that you have no control over. .....

I have faced loads of stuff i had no control over- and i didnt **** up my familys and friends life by killing myself.

You dont know any of what i have been through so dont get all high and mighty with me.
    I love boards, even though I'm only on here a couple of months, but to see someone make little of such a thing.....Thats not nice.....

Ill tell you whats "not nice". Killing yourself and leaving your family with questions and "What Ifs" and not knowing why you did it. Dont you start with me cos ive been through this with a family member and ill never forgive him for doing it and leaving us with all the questions we have. Its selfish plain and simple!!!!!!

Each to their own! greatest gift God gave to humanity was free will... compassion and empathy is an emotion that most people have and understand, others could spend their entire existence trying to grasp such. If someone decides to commit suicide, I'm sure one of the last things to cross their exhausted minds is that of loved ones and unfortuantely I am, like most people, just a spectator

Each to their own! greatest gift God gave to humanity was free will... compassion and empathy is an emotion that most people have and understand, others could spend their entire existence trying to grasp such. If someone decides to commit suicide, I'm sure one of the last things to cross their exhausted minds is that of loved ones and unfortuantely I am, like most people, just a spectator

Fair enough- I apoligise i got a bit mad there. It wasnt me belitting your opinion it was me voicing my own greivance- and i apoligise.

I think(and my past would be a factor in this) that the only way suicide should be an option is if you are a vegtable and in incredible pain(and dying anyway).

I feel that theres nothing so bad that you need to end your life. I had friends when i was younger who tried to kill themselves over JUNIOR CERT GRADES.Thats just a joke!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 johns

I don't think I could. It depends though if I had a terminal illness and I was suffering everyday like if you where paralised and somebody else would do it for you I think I would agree. But if your healthy and killing yourself when your just in a bad patch I think it would be really selfish, just think of all the people you would leave behind, all the lost potential and broken dreams. Your family would never recover and may even blame themselfs

johns wrote: »
    I don't think I could. It depends though if I had a terminal illness and I was suffering everyday like if you where paralised and somebody else would do it for you I think I would agree. But if your healthy and killing yourself when your just in a bad patch I think it would be really selfish, just think of all the people you would leave behind, all the lost potential and broken dreams. Your family would never recover and may even blame themselfs

agreed +1

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

• Drive in one direction until you reach the ocean.
    • Say hello to everyone you pass during the day.
    • Frown until your mouth muscles hurt (then see how much easier it is to smile.)
    • Create your own alphabet.
    • Start a scrapbook.
    • Make something you invented or invent something you can make.
    • Figure out if has no solution for non zero integers x, y, and z if n is an integer greater than two.
    • Make a BLT.
    • Work the crossword puzzle.
    • Count backwards from 10 billion by 13s.
    • Visit a yard sale.
    • Put on some really comfortable shoes. Walk somewhere in them.
    • Make something nice for someone and give it to them.
    • Go see a movie. (See two or three in a row. You may have to make extended visits to the restroom between films.)
    • Read The Lost Soul Companion.
    • Make your own list of things to do instead of killing yourself (and then do them.)
    • Organize your own mock funeral, invite family and friends, encourage them to eulogize you. (Tell them how you've really been feeling lately and see what happens.)
    • Let someone proofread your suicide note.
    • Build a fort.
    • Meditate.
    • Shampoo your hair. Repeat if desired.
    • Create an elaborate hoax. (Try not to get arrested.)
    • Get arrested.
    • Blow the stink off!
    • Sneak into a church. Enjoy the sunlight and quiet.
    • Write me a letter. (Be assured of a hopeful reply.)
    • Volunteer somewhere.
    • Doodle.
    • Enter a contest.
    • Write a poem.
    • Just breathe.
    • Take a class.
    • Finish something you started.
    • Drink a cup of tea with sugar and milk if that's how you like it.
    • Jump up and down on a big trampoline.
    • Pray.
    • Eat a tomato.
    • Pet a kitty cat.
    • Smoke a cigarette. (It's slower.)
    • Answer your telephone the next time it rings. (I know you haven't been...)
    • Ask a stranger for some good advice.
    • Paint a mural.
    • Start a garden.
    • Do the dishes. (It's OK if you've let them pile up. Wash a couple of them at least.)
    • Visit lostsoulcompanion.com.
    • Rescue an animal.
    • Take your loose change to the bank.
    • Play some beautiful music.
    • Ask an old person to tell you a story.
    • Make yourself breakfast in bed.
    • Eat cookies.
    • Stare at clouds.
    • Visit the maternity ward.
    • Send flowers anonymously.
    • Make a long to-do list. Do everything on it.
    • Set a world record.
    • Open the curtains.

I'd love ta go more in depth with my own emotions but alas, ye know yerselves...we all have bad times. Some find it easy ta deal with stuff soo much better than others. I can truly understand what does go on in peoples heads when they do lose sight....Tis a mad world

• Advertisement

Renraw, I feel your pain man. Its such a serious and horrible thing to happen to a family. I know myself only too well what its like - I think I went through all the stages of initial anger and confusion, apathy, anger again, bewilderment, cynicism, even more anger and finally a huge downpour of tears. It riles me so much when people make light of depression or suicide.

P.S.

This is a poem that literally changed my life. I hope you find something hopeful in it:

What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,

By William Henry Davies.

Babbit wrote: »
    P.S.

This is a poem that literally changed my life. I hope you find something hopeful in it:

What is this life if, full of care,

No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
    By William Henry Davies.

Sound out bro...thats actually sound fookin out man, cheers...sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

People from all walks of life ,rich and poor , kill themselfs all the time and in a lot of cases what most if not all of them had in common , is a feeling of such deep emotional sadness , pain and and anguish , that waking up to face another day of it becomes to much .It may have taken them many years to come to this decision .I think if a lot of people are honest they would say that they have thought of suicide at least once in their lives .

I know one person who is in such physical pain and has being for many years .She told me herself that she sometimes wish's she didn't wake up .That is not to be said or taken lightly , the girl has felt like this for quite some time and means it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I could never kill myself, to put my family and everyone I know through that is the most selfish act imaginable imo!!!!
    Theres always another choice, getting help being the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Obviously not life is amazing. Only weak people kill themselves or contemplate it.

Obviously not life is amazing. Only weak people kill themselves or contemplate it.

What? yeah right :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What really annoys me is people saying it is "the most selfish act you can do" etc etc. While I don't think I could, I have thought about it many times. I also possess a gun which would make it so much easier.

Some people are not strong enough to get through the bad times, they cannot cope and may have very little help.

Man1 - I am suicidal, I cannot cope with life.

Man2 - Don't be an idiot, that's the stupidiest thing I have ever heard.

Man1 - *pulls out gun, shoots himself in the head*

It's not right to say people are selfish for killing themselves, the people who say they are selfish are the ones who are selfish. The people that are left behind sobbing and crying are the ones who are selfish. There are reasons that people kill themselves, ones which you or me will never understand. Billionaire kills himself, we think, WTF? He had sooo much money, all the cars, the huge houses, all the women. So what... maybe he had some severe problems which could not be fixed. He simply did not want to continue his life. He has every right to end it. Do I think it is the right thing to do? No, but it sure is the easiest...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Absolute poppycock. Come backwith a response when you know something about it.

I have thought about it, never attempted. Was due to depression. It is not a nice feeling to have at all when you think like this. It's called suicidal ideation and is a symptom of depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

OP, it's easy for normal, healthy minded people to be shocked at the idea of suicide. When circumstances in life become unbearable to deal with, who knows how they would react? If someone was going to inflict a terrible slow tortorous death on you wouldn't you prefer to just kill yourself instead? Likewise, some people find the pain of living equally unbearable. IMO an impossible question to answer for most people.

Advertisement