Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever kill yourself?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Neighbour hung himself on Friday or Saturday.. bad health and the main concern was having to give up leading a 'private' life and sharing it with carers\medical staff, or going into a home of some sort.

His neighbour took dogs for a walk, she came back to find the house locked, phoned Gardai, he was found having hung himself during the time the dogs were being walked.

I'm not the suicidal type, I have felt low, but I think people should have absolute choice overy their fate, even a choice which will result in the end of life.

I reckon in 20 years they'll be giving you tax breaks or perks of some sort to pop your clogs willingly at a certain point in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

aloevera wrote: »
    i agree. its very selfish, it'd be horrible on family and friends and the person that'd find you.

is it wrong that i think about it everyday though!?

Op said earlier that its needy - i argree. but what when you feel worthless in life, and a burde to others.

i honestly think ive a paranoia disorder sometimes.

http://www.aware.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

ive tried to kill myself several times but only on one occasion has anyone other than myself known about it

unlike most people , i regret that i didnt have the guts to go through with it , thier is nothing more pathetic than a failed suicide attempt , you thought you felt bad before hand , you feel worse afterwards

the last time i tried it was september 2004 , havent tried it since as i know im too chicken to go through with it so why bother

as for the comments that people who commit suicide are temporarily our of their minds , thats an over generalisation if ever thier was one , its rarely ever anything to do with a chemical imbalance and is nearly always a reaction to an event in thier life or a culmination of events which led them to that particular point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

The prospect of death frightens me, there's no way i would fast track it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I couldn't do it.

I enjoy life too much and no matter how bad things have ever been in my life I've never thought that ending my life is the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

If you are prescribed the right anti-depressants making the decision to pop your clogs should be a little easier...

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/1999-09-29-Lilly-block-research.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Like most people, I've had my low points and the thought has crossed my mind in a more than fleeting way a couple of times.

People are dying in hospitals every day of terminal illnesses who would give anything for another chance at a long healthy life, people have kids with cancer who would sacrifice everything to make them well, so how in the hell could anyone otherwise fit and healthy throw their life away like that?
    :)

yes. there is no way i could justify ever doing it with those people in mind.
    i mean imagine the father and mother of a gravely ill child having to go to the funeral of a suicide victim. how cruel is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness then I'd imagine that I would. I'd much prefer to go out on my terms rather than on a hospital bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My uncle discovered the neighbour's daughter hung in her hallway. It really traumatised him. I think people don't realise the effect suicide has on people who are left behind (or if they do, they are in such pain that it overides everything else).

I have never ever seriously comtemplated it, but I think though if I had a terminal illness I would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember reading about a trial with rats where they filled a tank they were in with water, increasing the length of time they were in the water with each test. A second group of rats who hadn't been through the water before were introduced later on and it was found that the rats who hadn't been through it before gave up and let themselves drown. That the other group kept paddling shows that the second group didn't give up through physical exhaustion. Anyone who works with birds will know that at a certain point, when the bird feels bad enough, it will just give up and die, even if it could survive.

Giving up on life exists in the animal kingdom, we've just complicated it and added an extra layer to it with civilisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yellowstar

There were times when I was younger that I considered it, but to be honest it was a romantic notion.... stupid as it seems. I was clueless about what it really was and just focused on the attention side even tho nobody knew

Since then I have been affected by so many suicides, friends, relatives. acquaintances that there is absolutely nothing romantic or otherwise about it.

It may take guts as people say here to take your own life but it also takes more to live. Everyone has low points in there life which we deal with and move on. I believe that many of the people who I knew would still be here if it wasnt for alcohol. People feel low, alcohol depresses more and blocks out the consequences of your actions. If they had just gone to bed as opposed to doing what they did they would still be here. We have low points in our life but they always pass. And when we look back on them we realise what we could have missed.

I could never commit suicide because Ive felt the aftermath and I could never put anyone through that. You may think your kids are better off without you but I can guarantee that they arent and that they will realise what has happened when they get older and that will always stay with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Tried twice, failed but i think if i really wanted to i'd be dead by now, they were more cries for help or attention I dont know.

Ukdavros, your children would not be better off without you. At least alive you can see them and reassure them they have a father that loves them, dont let them grow up thinking you didnt care enough about them.

I wish my eldests sons father was dead (and no i dont care what ye all think i'm a good person ) cos then i'd have a less painful excuse to tell my son why his father wont see him or reply to him. Cos the truth is he doesnt care. You care about your children you make damn sure they know it and you have to be around to do that. Think of them for the moment and it will pull you through.

This pain will ease.

When did she leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

killing yourself is for quiters.......

an losers who dont try at anything and think the whole world is against them and there is no changing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mn-wergamers

No. I'm just to lazy to even think about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Mousey- wrote: »

an losers who dont try at anything and think the whole world is against them and there is no changing it

No, the majority of people who attempt or commit suicide are clincially depressed, a serious mental illness which affects your self-image, world view and suicidal thoughts are one of the symptoms. Winners and losers has got nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

A childhood friend of mine jumped from a balcony a few years back, i have no idea why or what possibly could have driven him to it but he was not a loser, he obviously needed help and for what ever reason didnt get it

The mind is a very powerful thing, sometimes people lose control for various reasons. I was literally sedated for a week so i wouldnt top myself, its a terrifying feeling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If I was terminal, then probably yea. Depending on the illness too of course. Otherwise no. I've had some really crappy times but I never felt that was an option. I know I'm lucky though not to have that but I feel for people who do feel it's their only option.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I've experienced both sides as I've suffered for a number of years with depression following the deaths of a number of close family members. My sister died of cancer and she fought to the bitter end. She was given six weeks to live and she managed to cling to life for over 3 months.

On occasions I've felt so worthless and unhappy and felt that everyone around me would benefit from my death that I've seriously considered it but think i'm too much of a coward to do it. I worry about not doing the job right and making things worse. I also worry about my children believing I don't love them enough to stick around for them.

UKDavros please don't do that to your children. Talk to your G.P. Help is there for you. There's no magic cure but time does heal.

No one can predict what the future may bring. If your wife died after you killed yourself your kids would have no-one to love them like only a parent can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

An immediate member of my family committed suicide and it tore my family apart. No-one here can really say if they would take their own life or not as we have no idea whats going to come at us in the future or how well we are equipped to deal with it.

Yes life is precious and should be cherished but quite simply some people dont want to be on this earth and it is their choice at the end of the day. Some consider it an extremely selfish act but why should the person stay and live a miserable existence, to protect others feelings?

I have let go 'now' and respect the decision the person made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I almost accidently killed myself last week, wasn't a good experience.:rolleyes:

I'm too much of an optimist to consider doing it intentionally, but i know people who have mostly because of enormous financial pressure. No one has a right to judge, yes meeting those left behind can show it to be an extremely selfish act, but on the other hand, can you imagine the sheer trauma the person is going through that puts them over the edge.

No hero in your tragedy
    No daring in your escape
    No salutes for your surrender
    Nothing noble in your fate
    Christ, what have you done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I have never considered it and hopefully never will. I like to think that no matter how bad things would get, I still wouldn't consider it but I realise that's a very romantic notion and hopefully I'll never be in a position to find out.

I'm very grateful that noone close to me has ever committed suicide, being to the funerals of people who killed themselves is so horrible, I can't begin to imagine what goes through people's minds when someone close kills themselves.

To the people spouting sh1t about losers and quitters, what ridiculous things to say. It shows extreme ignorance of other people's situations. Just be thankful that you have a good life and are of sound mental health. And learn to use a little bit of common sense, a lot of people on this will have known close friends and family who committed suicide, they don't need to see your idiotic views on the subject.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Have had thoughts but would never have the guts to take my own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I have to say I used to think it was a selfish act, like a lot of people here, but there really is a huge amount of people I know who have seriously thought about it, or tried it. Luckily they all seemed to fail too.
    Two months ago a friend of a close friend of mine commited suicide. From our point of view it really didn't look like he should have. But he must have had a good reason, he obviously couldn't see a way out of it. It broke my friends heart though, they were pretty much best friends.

As for me, No way in hell could I do it.
    A) I'm far too cowardly for that sort of thing.
    B) I'm luckily enough to have a good life, and have never had an extremely low point like so many others
    C) I couldn't do that to my family and friends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Absolutely not!
    Where there's life there's hope.
    Ya never know what's around the next bend.

The only exception would be if I got some kind of disease/ condition which would be a long term burden to others close to me.

Alzheimer's or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I managed to talk someone out of it some time back, i was emotionally drained after wards,one thing i learned, never judge anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

personally i think if you have had any level of bad sh1t happen to you in your life you can feel down and think suicide is the only way out - utter despair brings you to that

i had a freind turn on me in a bad way he couldnt accept that he would never be more than a mate - and followed me places - he could could tell me what pubs i went to who i spoke to, when i left, if i went onto a club, or went home and what time etc - he tried to break into my home a few times - he hit me and hurt me badly - i felt i couldnt tell my family as my family would have killed him - i have a great loving protective family and take no messing if someone tries to hurt one of us ~(way it should be) - i still every now and again have hassle from him- he will stay away for months then start some of the sh1t again - follow me into and out of pubs - he tried grabbing me out of a taxi few months ago....the sh1t (he also works in the same building as me - different section but same building)

anyways not to go on bout it too much there were times for a brief second or two that i thought the only way i would get peace from him would to not be here but i wouldnt give him the satisfation - and you never know what tomorrow brings - bout two months ago he was in hospital with some believing he got the stuffing knocked out of him so i suppose what goes around comes around - he deserved it dont like saying that but he did - he should know now what it feels like now....

so tomorrow can bring a brighter day is all ill say - try and search for the positve in every situation and keep smiling as hard as it may be sometimes it really annoys people who try to p1ss you of to see you constantly smiling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The only exception would be if I got some kind of disease/ condition which would be a long term burden to others close to me.

Alzheimer's or something like that.

Seconded, I wouldn't hang around for long having witnessed it.
    The other situation where I would probably want to die is total paralysis, the real bitch being you are no longer capable of ending it yourself and nobody can legally help you in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Mousey- wrote: »

no you moron , killing oneself is for winners who cant live with the fact that they are failures , a loser wouldnt care if he was a failure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 andy23

i secretly admire people who kill themselves.

Advertisement