Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever kill yourself?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was just read in about the recent suicide of Roh Moo-Hyun who killed himself due to his last legacy (being a clean politician), being muddied by recent corruption revelations.

A German billionaire killed himself when he lost everyhting a few months ago.

What would you do if you lost everything? Money, reputation, dignity etc.

Tbh, cowardly as it may sound, I wouldn't kill myself, no matter how much everyone else hated me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Tbh, cowardly as it may sound, I wouldn't kill myself, no matter how much everyone else hated me.
    You 100% sure? They probably would have said the same thing before it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 T1890

No way, nothing is ever worth taking your own life over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd prolly miss (even if jumping)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd prolly miss (even if jumping)
    Missing the ground is the secret to flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

What about if you were suffering a very painful terminal illness with no hope of recovery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Somebodys been listening to the MASH theme tune again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

i wont kill myself, just to spite everyone i know

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Never in a million years would I put my family through that hell.
    And I have been tempted, believe me.

I stick two fingers up at lifes fcuk ups and I carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I like to have the option there, but i doubt i ever would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I wouldn't commit suicide because people hated me, thats just fcuking needy. I've had a shot or two at the title, and it was about me. Then again, that could be viewed as selfish. But its the nature of the beast. A lot of time is wasted thinking what others think of us. Its ridiculously unnessesary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Could you ever kill yourself?

Just the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I don't know. I've never tried.

NotMe wrote: »

That's why he asked "Could you ever kill yourself" not "Have you ever killed yourself".

tech77 wrote: »
    That's why he asked "Could you ever kill yourself" not "Have you ever killed yourself".

Seriously if he had killed himself we would be shitting ourselves about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No, you only get one life, don't waste it.

:confused:
    I was just discussing a point of logic in NotMe's post.
    What were you referring to?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Yeah that's why I said I don't know if I could. If I had then I would know. Or something.

:confused:
    I was just discussing a point of logic in NotMe's post.
    What were you referring to?:confused:

Well, your answer to NotMe.
    Think about it.;)

When I was in the depths of depression I did consider it. However the thought of what effect it would have on my family and close friends was enough to stop me from ever attempting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Steal a Ferarri and fill it with as many high class hookers as possible. Fill the boot with explosives. Drive it off a cliff at top speed while getting blown and suppin on some rare whiskey, also stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I couldnt, I tried it before, Long story, but I had to drink meself into a stupor for the ould dutch courage and I was so noisy me mother heard me. Looking back on it Im delighted I failed. No I wouldnt do it. Have a few cousins etc that did do it and it leaves nothing but heartache behind, kinda obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I believe I could do it (but would need my life to get a lot worse - at the moment bank knocking on door, owe 35K to them for various loans and people that owe me money are dragging their heels - already 2months overdue, I have no ready cash left)....watch this space !!!
    (I would consider bankruptcy as my secondlast option.)

.... and also believe I would have no problem killing another (assuming its my life or theirs type situation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Kinda disturbing convo but interesting... but no, nothing's ever happened to make me think about it, hopefully it will stay like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i have decided that im quite prepared to die
    if my dreams aren't realised,
    i realise i am a future suicide -
    im a future suicide,
    but im still alive

ed borrie pretty much sums it up for me there. dont think i ever will, but yeah, i definitely could.

I would die before I would kill myself.

Well, your answer to NotMe.
    Think about it.;)

That reply was a lighthearted musing about the post's logic- incidental to the subject matter of the thread :confused:

That reply was a lighthearted musing about the post's logic- incidental to the subject matter of the thread :confused:
    So why are you :confused: I'm not.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I won't kill myself. no.
    If something like such happened to me where i lose everything, i'll probably run away to some foreign land and start over again.
    I've recently noticed i'm fairly good at starting over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Like most people, I've had my low points and the thought has crossed my mind in a more than fleeting way a couple of times.

The way I understand it is that someone genuinely contemplating suicide is usually suffering from a chemical imbalance in their mind. This can be medical (often as a result of depression) or can result from a particular experience or experiences. Someone seriously considering suicide feels that there is no joy left in life and there never will be again. I see that a previous poster suggested driving a hooker-filled Ferrari off a cliff - I know it was a joke but it illustrates a point - such suicides really never happen because doing so would indicate that that person can still find joy from life and by definiton won't be suicidal.

Don't want to make this into a rambling post but the best line I ever heard is that suicide is a 'permanent solution to a temporary problem'. I think the main reasons why I would never do it are:

I'm too much of a coward
    Even in the best possible scenario, most of us will be gone in around 60 years or so anyway, which isn't a particularly long time in the great scheme of things, so I'll enjoy my time here and let nature take its course eventually :)
    People are dying in hospitals every day of terminal illnesses who would give anything for another chance at a long healthy life, people have kids with cancer who would sacrifice everything to make them well, so how in the hell could anyone otherwise fit and healthy throw their life away like that?
    Also, my life is pretty damn sweet so I've no reason to check out prematurely :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

Human instinct is to fight to survive.
    but a tiny minority will chose to give up.

Advertisement