Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local & European Elections 2009 - Part Two ** New Poll **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm on mobile so can't do much but I guess we have two (terrible) shills?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

hey the sheikh could be a dark horse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gulamugas

wfman wrote: »
    hey the sheikh could be a dark horse in ward 2.

why do you say that? is he anyway well known ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 M.RaftisKennedy

nkay1985 wrote: »

And speaking of Green candidates, not said much today...

I had a lot do deal with during the week, and gave an interview with the News & Star, So Apologies if I did not get back to you guys on the boards.

Regards

Maria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

Maria,
    Would you support an increase in the speed limit on the outer ring road from 60kmph to 80kmph if elected to Waterford City Council. If not why not?

• Advertisement

Maria,
    Would you support an increase in the speed limit on the outer ring road from 60kmph to 80kmph if elected to Waterford City Council. If not why not?

Hi Keith,

I along with everyone else would love to zoom at a faster speed on the outer ring road!
    I would definitely support a formal review of the limits on that road and would totally involve a public consultation process. The original limit was set behind close doors and I feel the People of this City should be allowed to hear the pros and the cons and have an input into the process.

Maria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eirman007

Gulamugas wrote: »
    He must be some man for one man!
    SHEIKH AHMED must elect and he is the man who could change the life of the city.........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eirman007 wrote: »
    SHEIKH AHMED must elect and he is the man who could change the life of the city.........

Okay. Enough is enough.

Folk, let it be known that somebody has signed upto 3 accounts so far in the last few days to plug Sheikh Ahmed in the local elections. Why the man cant come on himself and introduce himself rather then having shills/puppets is beyond me. With canvass lines like that, your turning away more votes. The public are not stupid and dont think anybody running is the "next Barack Obama" etc.

PS Your banned (again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smahmed

Sully wrote: »
    Okay. Enough is enough.

Folk, let it be known that somebody has signed upto 3 accounts so far in the last few days to plug Sheikh Ahmed in the local elections. Why the man cant come on himself and introduce himself rather then having shills/puppets is beyond me. With canvass lines like that, your turning away more votes. The public are not stupid and dont think anybody running is the "next Barack Obama" etc.

PS Your banned (again).
    Hello Sully, Thanks for your comments....Yes Irish people are not stupid, because they might not be racist yet.....they would vote to change their life, which the Irish polititians failed. So you are thinking the Irish voters who would vote for Sheikh, are they stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sabina

Okay. Enough is enough.

PS Your banned (again).
    Hey Sully,
    you don't have any right to continue as a moderator. You banned unfairly EIRMAN007. He was just supporting SHEIKH AHMED. Are you racist? I am in doubt, you can't be an Irish. You should be banned....bannned...banned....SHEIKH AHMED will elect...and Irish people will make him IRISH OBAMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

sabina wrote: »
    Hey Sully,
    you don't have any right to continue as a moderator. You banned unfairly EIRMAN007. He was just supporting SHEIKH AHMED. Are you racist? I am in doubt, you can't be an Irish. You should be banned....bannned...banned....SHEIKH AHMED will elect...and Irish people will make him IRISH OBAMA.

you're only digging a hole. Stop. Anyone sympathetic to your particular candidate will be put off by your constant plugging. You're doing the opposite of what you intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

smahmed wrote: »
    Hello Sully, Thanks for your comments....Yes Irish people are not stupid, because they might not be racist yet.....they would vote to change their life, which the Irish polititians failed. So you are thinking the Irish voters who would vote for Sheikh, are they stupid?

I'mnot really sure what any of this means but it seems to be some kind of veiled attack on Sully.
    Hey Sully,

This behaviour is disgraceful. Insulting the moderator of the forum where you're trying to promote your candidate is probably not the best way to garner support.

I presume these posts will be deleted once Sully gets online. If you want to delete my replies to them to have all records removed, work away.

I had a lot do deal with during the week, and gave an interview with the News & Star, So Apologies if I did not get back to you guys on the boards.

Regards

Maria.

Welcome back Maria.

Before you were so busy, yourself and Stan both said that having a direct link to the minister for local government (the link being yourself) would be better for Waterford. You noth kind of said that Sully and I took you up wrong (I think Stan even accused Sully of deliberately misrepresenting you). So would you now like to clarify your statement?

smahmed wrote: »

What on earth are you on about? Irish might not be racist yet? :S The public will decide on Friday if they think that local politicians have failed, and what candidates will do a better job. They will base this purely on how the candidate presents themselves, either on the door, radio, TV, paper etc. This to include canvassing material.

I think that using the "This candidate is the next Barrack Obama" spin during an attempt to canvass/shill/plug the candidate in question will not work. It will turn people off voting for him. The Irish people are not stupid and will vote based on what I said earlier in my post. Your doing more damaging by signing up several accounts (we have a system to check users against each other, to tell if they are the same) to plug the candidate as it smacks of desperation.
    Hey Sully,

Hi again.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Welcome back Maria.

Before you were so busy, yourself and Stan both said that having a direct link to the minister for local government (the link being yourself) would be better for Waterford. You noth kind of said that Sully and I took you up wrong (I think Stan even accused Sully of deliberately misrepresenting you). So would you now like to clarify your statement?

As not to be misquoted I SAID "I would also like to point out to people that while our leader John Gormley is head of Local Government, he allocates the funds to City and Co.Councils around the country, it would be in Waterford City's best interest to vote to have a green councillor ,because, on election, Waterford City Council would then have direct contact with that department and Waterford City would have a voice. I have heard we are being ignored by Dublin, our voice is not heard, well now is the perfect opportunity for our voice to be heard we will have direct contact with that department on election."

I shall Clarify my statement for you NK1985 no problem........
    The fact that the leader of the Green Party is head of Local government is an advantage, or do you disagree with that? I would like to be able to let my party leader know what This City needs to get us the funds we deserve. I want the Suir River Walkway upgraded as it is a hidden treasure and would be fantastic if that became a reality and many other important issues that need addressing. I brought John to the walkway last Friday, and he asked me what is needed and I said money!!. If on election yes we would have direct contact with local government and yes the fact that my Party leader is Minister of Local Government allows me to have direct contact with that department, isn't that what this City needs?? Wants? Vote for me if you wish or do not vote for me, that is everybodys personal choice.

Regards

Maria.

As not to be misquoted I SAID "I would also like to point out to people that while our leader John Gormley is head of Local Government, he allocates the funds to City and Co.Councils around the country, it would be in Waterford City's best interest to vote to have a green councillor ,because, on election, Waterford City Council would then have direct contact with that department and Waterford City would have a voice. I have heard we are being ignored by Dublin, our voice is not heard, well now is the perfect opportunity for our voice to be heard we will have direct contact with that department on election."

The fact that the leader of the Green Party is head of Local government is an advantage, or do you disagree with that? I would like to be able to let my party leader know what This City needs to get us the funds we deserve. I want the Suir River Walkway upgraded as it is a hidden treasure and would be fantastic if that became a reality and many other important issues that need addressing. I brought John to the walkway last Friday, and he asked me what is needed and I said money!!. If on election yes we would have direct contact with local government and yes the fact that my Party leader is Minister of Local Government allows me to have direct contact with that department, isn't that what this City needs?? Wants? Vote for me if you wish or do not vote for me, that is everybodys personal choice.

Regards

Maria.

Yes, so that brings us to the point myself and Sully raised. Does that mean that you're saying that if we don't have Green Party members as elected officials, then we don't have a direct link to the Minister responsible for Local Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

<somewhat off topic>
    to interject :).... though I won't be voting Green simply because they are part of a coalition that have IMO raped our nation in recent times, I must commend Stan and Maria for showing the courage to honestly stand over their opinions/beliefs/policies in a public forum like this when pretty much all of their opponents (that many of us will mayhap vote for) have not deemed it worthwhile.

that's the sort of intestinal fortitude missing in Irish politics of late I reckon.
    </somewhat off topic>

old gregg wrote: »
    <somewhat off topic>
    to interject :).... though I won't be voting Green simply because they are part of a coalition that have IMO raped our nation in recent times, I must commend Stan and Maria for showing the courage to honestly stand over their opinions/beliefs/policies in a public forum like this when pretty much all of their opponents (that many of us will mayhap vote for) have not deemed it worthwhile.

that's the sort of intestinal fortitude missing in Irish politics of late I reckon.
    </somewhat off topic>

Well, we're yet to see if she's willing to stand over what she was saying so I'd reserve your judgement on that for now ;)

I do think it's good that they've engaged in our digital medium though. It's something that's not yet really arrived in Irish Politics. I'd like to see it becoming more and more popular in teh next 5 years (and I think it will tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

it's true what you say nkay1985, I was being kind to the politicians who've engaged with the digital medium as you've said ... however, on the doorsteps she promised me a train set and a pony so we'll see how that pans out :p

(just kidding, I've never met/conversed with Maria)

old gregg wrote: »
    <somewhat off topic>

</somewhat off topic>

While its great to see candidates here, Stan was probably the most active and involved in discussions. That must be pointed out and you have to hand it to him in particular for taking part in more then just a discussion about himself. Most people, including people in the Green party, agree that while in government with FF they really haven't been great. So, the Irish people will decide on Friday which party they will be voting alongside based on their performance to date. Even though its about local issues, I guess people will pick a party they see as trustworthy and hardworking, then focusing on the candidates.

I would imagine it will be sometime before the rest of the electorate use the advantage of sites like Boards, but across other forums on the site there are a few about which is good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Maria, what is your opinion of the Greens remaining in government with Fianna Fáil given the disaster they've caused? Would you agree with the number of Green councillors who called for the Greens to pull out of government and seek a new mandate free from the "standards" of FF which are clearly a ball and chain to your party?

I would vote for you given what I've read, and I think you personally would make a good councillor. However I cannot vote for any member of the party that keeps FF in government, be that in a European, general, or local election.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

@ Trotter

The Local Elections are about electing the people who you think will best represent your interests on the Local Authority over the next five years.

They will still be there long after the current Dáil has been replaced.

I know people are cheesed off with FF, but they were cheesed off with them five years ago too, but then 46% of people voted for FF in the General Election in 2007.

Fine Gael could have kept FF out of power by bringing in Sinn Féin, but they chose not to. Labour and the Greens were then left with only one option if they wanted to get their policies implemented.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your approach, but I would suggest balancing local issues with national issues. The two are separate, even if there is some cross-over.

As regards Maria; there is an extra seat in that Ward this time. Green Councillors have shown themselves to be hard working, creative and effective up and down the Country.

Is there merit in having a test drive of a Green Councillor in Waterford City to see if the Greens can deliver for Waterford?

I think so.

The people in that Ward will get to decide on Friday, and their decision holds for five years.

I'll be voting 1 to 7 based on the seven best people for the job, not on the logo beside their name. If everybody else voted on that basis the Country would be run a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gulamugas

Hear hear stan. That's local elections are about. The right people to do what's right for the Local area. National politics should not come into it.I am not a fan of the greens but I will be giving you a high preference cause I believe that you will be a good councillor.

Ah for feck sake Stan, you of all people should know better then suggest that FG go into power with SF. Thats wrong in so many ways for both partys! Those stupid comments from your former leader really show dirty politics in play - the party doing poorly and a day before the election coverage ban he throws mud to cast asperusions on FG who are the strongest party in the polls. I think, as I am sure you experienced, this time is different. People are a lot more pissed with FF, and unless they pull a miracle out of the bag, they wont do to well.

Local elections are two things; 1) To choose which party offer the better candidates for the local government and 2) A referundum on the current government - after all, why would people vote FF if the party was terrible in the main government? People in locals will vote based on 1) The party they think offer the best candidates, 2) The best candidates from that party.

Ill be giving you a vote, as I believe that despite the fact your a Green supporter, you are one of the better candidates running for election and can offer us the change Waterford County needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

ff and the greens are saying local election local issues.its almost become a slogan.if the country wasnt in the mess it is i wonder if the greens and ff would be still pushing "local elections -local issues"
    when the goverment gets a backlash at local elections its the party thats in bed with them that comes off badly look at the pd's for example.
    i think the gp are in bad shape in waterford city.one candidate running in 3 wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

wfman wrote: »
    i think the gp are in bad shape in waterford city.one candidate running in 3 wards.
    The GP may be doing the right thing by running a candidate in East. It may undo a lot of the damage caused by McCann. There is a "social conscience" type vote in East and after the key independents, Labour and to a far lesser extent the Greens ( in spite of McCann) have benefited from that type of vote. Now that the Greens are in government, they have lost a lot of that 'museli muncher' stereotype and is perceived as a party that is capable of doing business. McCann's nomination for the council and as a Dail candidate was a continually wasted opportunity for the Greens as he failed to make the political alliances and careful selection of issues that are necessary in politics. This manifested in McCann being almost completely transfer repellent and had the Green Party been properly run, McCann would have been replaced by a more effective and vote attractive candidate. His serial objections, whether warranted or not, allowed him to be portrayed as being anti-employment, anti-development and most deadly of all, anti-Waterford.

This "social conscience" vote now may benefit the Greens rather than Labour as there is a drift away from FF and the Greens have a candidate with a real chance. But it will be the transfers that will decide matters. Even FG with some rather lacklustre candidates is going to find it hard going. The real wildcard in East would be the election of an SF candidate and there is such massive resentment of FF that it is an possibility.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Regards

Maria.

Its good to see candidates coming onto what could be a potentially hostile environment to engage the voters imo.

I've only read the last 3 pages of this thread so forgive me if its been addressed already but the one thing thats probably harmed the greens more than anything in waterford is the issue of planning and serial objections.

So could you address your personal point of view on things like the Newgate shopping centre and what you envisage as the way forward for the town centre in particular regarding planning and regeneration.

Ah for feck sake Stan, you of all people should know better then suggest that FG go into power with SF. Thats wrong in so many ways for both partys! Those stupid comments from your former leader really show dirty politics in play - the party doing poorly and a day before the election coverage ban he throws mud to cast asperusions on FG who are the strongest party in the polls.

a) I didn't suggest that FG go into power with SF.

b) Trevor's comments were in response to stupid mudslinging by FG.

c) The only dirty politics going on is coming from FG

d) The only Party doing poorly in the last two days is FG. Flannery has opened an old wound - memories of FG going into coalition with the Stickies (Gilmore, Rabbitte and the convicted terrorist Frank Ross)

e) FG appear to have stolen defeat from the jaws of victory - yet again.

Enda Kenny is toast after his lies in the last few days.

I've only read the last 3 pages of this thread so forgive me if its been addressed already but the one thing thats probably harmed the greens more than anything in waterford is the issue of planning and serial objections.
    If I may rudely jump in.

The problems with Planning are an internal matter within the City Council.

"We tend not to implement the Development Plan" was the quote from the senior planner at a conference a couple of years ago.

The Law does not give this discretion to the City Planners - they are obliged to follow, to the letter, the Development Plan handed to them by the City Council.

You are correct that a very expensive PR campaign was waged against the Green Party by people whose ability to profiteer was hampered by a Green Party member who wanted to see the City Development Plan take precedence.

The "serial objections" all related to serial attempts by well connected persons to circumvent the expressed wishes of the Elected Councillors as set out in the City Development Plan.

As for the jobs "lost" in the Newgate Centre, give me a call and I'll tell you a few stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I must say I'm amazed by Gary Wyse. Actually, scrap that. I'm amazed by the Fianna Fail party in Waterford. By amazed I mean shocked and appalled by their sheer stupidity. How they could select a candidate like him is beyond me. Or was it a case of just names being pulled out of a hat? Maybe (and just maybe) if he didn't publicly declare that he'd be supporting an out-of-town development should he be elected while simultaneously posing for a photo in the empty streets of Waterford City that he also promises to reignite would I not think that he is (and his party are) a complete and utter shambles.

Also, Maria, why did you stoop as low as sharing a sob story in the newspapers the week before an election. As much as I empathise with what you went through, I lose all respect for candidates who pull stunts like that. I had intended to give a vote to Mary Roche back in the General Elections until I saw pictures of her and her baby emblazoned all over the front pages of the News & Star. I really hope that the electorate see right through it.

Advertisement