Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

... so that means what? You're going to get banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hold on, you're going to get rid of the cloud skin? I love the blackness, its the best skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No f'in way are we losing the Cloud skin. I've been using this skin since odd-four and I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before i recognise Missoura!

It's a piece of piss to style the new menu.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We arent getting rid of anything, I'm just saying we probably wont "upgrade" them with future UI goodness (if any).

I'm hoping 4.0 or 4.1 will make all of this redundant with over-ridable styles anyway but who knows...

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote: »
    Personally, if I could kill all the skins I would

The Minimalist cannot be touched.
    It's the exact same colour as the software I use in work, hence at a glance, it looks like I'm working.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    You had me at "Performance is a big deal for myself and Conor,". /swoon

Damnit, you got there before me!

My comment to that was:

I bet it is.
    *snigger*

:D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What is it about confirming that you wont be changing anything that makes people go "but you cant change that!?".... :p

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    What is it about confirming that you wont be changing anything that makes people go "but you cant change that!?".... :p

Yup.
    I saw that comment.

But, you know when you've knocked someone to the ground, you sometimes have to get a few extra kicks in just to drive the message home.

I usually pay extra for that.

I typed that out loud, didnt I....

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

tbh the hollow'een skin is the only one which doesn't bug the crap out of my eyes or messes with my dyslexia, get rid of it at your peril. :P

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Thaedydal wrote: »
    tbh the hollow'een skin is the only one which doesn't bug the crap out of my eyes or messes with my dyslexia, get rid of it at your peril. :P

TBH, we'll have to see what happens when vBulletin 4.x comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if the skins were not backwards compatible. Jelsoft (the people who make vBulletin) are promising a rather comprehensive set of changes for 4.x so I wouldn't be surprised if the skinning functionality was changed radically enough to prevent us from using our current ones.

Obviously we'll try to minimise the impact and accommodate as many people as possible but I can't guarantee that all skins can make the jump.

Hopefully they will be allowing the control over the colours being passed to the user, then everyone can have their own skin/style/css...

That would be ossim! :)

DeV.

IRLConor wrote: »
    I can't guarantee that all skins can make the jump.

Sorry Conor,
    did you just say the word can't?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Sorry Conor,
    did you just say the word can't?

Indeed I did!

Of course, if you'd like to port over the skins I'm sure we'd take them (provided of course that you'd be willing to support them in perpetuity). :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    Of course, if you'd like to port over the skins I'm sure we'd take them (provided of course that you'd be willing to support them in perpetuity). :)

Was that english?
    Cos, you know, wooosshh.

Unless you were talking about a fine Portuguese porto?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i always end up going back to the default boards skin. But any newness is always checked out.

Id love to see an option to add little bookmarks on the blank white space (like facebook does)

Was that english?

Almost.
    Cos, you know, wooosshh.

Rough translation: if you're willing to do the bulk of the work, "can't" might become "can".
    Unless you were talking about a fine Portuguese porto?

/adds to shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Guess there's no point working on 3.x skins 'til vbulletin4 comes out then.
    And it actually looks reasonably simple reading this. I mean, even someone like me could give that a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any talk of removing Cloud, even in jest, makes stovelid very worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Ross wrote: »
    Update with confirmed bugs:
    • Firefox: Hovering from a menu on to an adjacent input or textfield breaks the "off hover" event handling, making the menu appear to "stick". This can be resolved by hovering back over the menu or to another menu item. No known solution yet.
    • Chrome: Occasionally, a warning message will display saying "[noparse]Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead![/noparse]". A potential fix for this has been deployed, so if the warning is still spotted, please report it!
    • All Browsers: Positioning problems; the menu overlaps information and that information is partially misaligned on the "showpost" page, not enough space between menu and content on front pages, title/logo is positioned incorrectly, somewhat evident in IE. Will be fixed.
    • Firefox: Hovering from a menu on to an adjacent input or textfield breaks the "off hover" event handling, making the menu appear to "stick". This can be resolved by hovering back over the menu or to another menu item. - Fixed. This will also fix problems where a menu might not appear when first hovered over.
    • Chrome: Occasionally, a warning message will display saying "[noparse]Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead![/noparse]". A potential fix for this has been deployed, so if the warning is still spotted, please report it! - Bug report submitted to Google, browser flaw.
    • All Browsers: Positioning problems; the menu overlaps information and that information is partially misaligned on the "showpost" page, not enough space between menu and content on front pages, title/logo is positioned incorrectly, somewhat evident in IE. - Some fixes deployed, others on the way.

Some of these fixes may require you to refresh your browser cache (typically Ctrl + F5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

sorry if this is answered already, but how do i change back to the default skin? can't find the menu in this new menu system.
    it's not where it was in the default one.

I'm on Safari if it makes any difference.

edit: never mind, found a way of doing it from the very bottom left hand corner of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Something I just noticed there, if you go to edit avatar from the boards.ie dropdown tab in the menu it brings you to the edit signature page.

edit: BTW nice job on the menu, really liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just got a the message :
    "Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead! Reported width: 1268 pixels. Reported height: 308 pixels."

Using FF 3.0.1 on OS X 10.5.7 and, as far as I can tell, the menu works fine.

Have only seen the message once, wasn't there on the next page I visted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Was your window actually those dimensions?

If the width is less than 800 pixels or the height is less than 400 pixels you'll get that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just a quick point regarding the layout of the forums themselves in the menu. In some cases the heading starts at the bottom of one column in that catagory start at the top of the next.

menu1.png

It happens a few other times too. It might be better just for asthetic purposes more than anything to skip a line so that the heading is directly above it's subforums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Conor wrote: »
    Was your window actually those dimensions?

No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Width is probably right but the window was full height.

Strange. As I said, it's only appeared for me once and I've been using the new menu theme since it was available.

If it pops up again I'll let you know.

Have made some further minor changes that may require a Ctrl+F5 if you're noticing obvious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Using the new menu with the find a forum locked in place, I notice that whenever I click on a "go to first unread post" link in a forum, I amways need to scroll up slightly to read the first line and the poster name as the new menu is blocking it. Looks like the offset needs a slight adjustment.

Apologies if this has been reported before. Liking the new menu.

Forgot about that one actually, would have come up in review eventually, but thanks for reminding me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

ANy chance you could up the contrast between the bullet point graphic and the white background? I can just about see it is there but it would be a lot more enjoyable using the menu if the bullet points were that bit more visible.

I like how the menu's float in different ways based on their widths, good work, lots of excellent work being done here.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement