Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Hi guys, I wonder if you could fix something for me?
    I like the Boards.ie beta skin but it keeps reverting to white skin.
    Thanks.

To make the change permanent, you have to change it in your user options. Under "Forum Skin" change it from "Use Forum Default" to "Boards.ie Beta".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Cheers Conor, appreciated.
    Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Another thumbs up from me. Very impressed with the menu - I usually just refreshed the main page when looking for new posts but this actually encourages me to look at all the various forums. Who knew there were so many?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    That's actually the point of the bolded parts, to draw your eye towards "sub topics" :)

The "find a forum" option is there if you know exactly what you're looking for, and the subscribed forums list is there for forums you visit frequently.

I believe removing the highlighting would hinder usability for more users than it would help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

If I understand correctly when you are logged off the navigation cant be unlocked (and other settings cant be changed). I think that the default should be unlocked as its less cluttered, or at least the option be there. But that probably more personal preference.

turgon wrote: »
    If I understand correctly when you are logged off the navigation cant be unlocked (and other settings cant be changed). I think that the default should be unlocked as its less cluttered, or at least the option be there. But that probably more personal preference.
    It's a conscious decision to have it locked by default, the option to unlock is right there in the preferences panel :)

Not being able to edit the preferences while logged out is also a conscious decision, although when the beta menu is made the default menu, any customizations that don't rely on you being logged in will be kept (providing obviously that you haven't cleared your cookies).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bit of largely meaningless feedback, when I did a bit of deleting and cleared cache there, after logging in again it went back to the default skin. I missed the new skin and had to change it back! So you're definitely on to a good thing IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For longer topic titles, it pushes the settings/PM/thread images of the toolbar (1024*768, Firefox 3). For example; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604798 - to fit everything onto the bar, it results in the images dropping off the bar.

EDIT: Two more examples below (Mods Only)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608281
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608180

Thanks, both :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Love the new menu-trail!, is the findaforum box gone now or do I have to refresh cache etc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gordon wrote: »
    Love the new menu-trail!, is the findaforum box gone now or do I have to refresh cache etc?

Click the nut and re-enable, then refresh. Its disabled now by default.

Wow! Thanks Sully, nice one Ross.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What's 'breadcrumbs'?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What's 'breadcrumbs'?

Like "boards.ie > Sys > Feedback" at the top of the page. It's useful for sites with a deep navigation hierarchy, or where you have a progression of pages like an online store. E.g. checkout > shipping details > payment details > confirm order.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's the 'breadcrumb' trail to where you are in top left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Correct. :) The term is a tad confusing, not sure how common it is. Great idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sully wrote: »
    Correct. :) The term is a tad confusing, not sure how common it is. Great idea though.

It's a very common term. It makes sense when you think about it as a web dev/designer, but probably not as intuitive for a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It comes from the Hansel and Gretel story, doesn't it? Leaving breadcrumbs to find their way home... not that it worked out too well for them.

The term always seemed self explanitory to me, but then I do the web dev stuff for a living :). "Link trail" / "Menu Trail" might be a better term for the average user.

Either way, love the feature. Very handy.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    It's a very common term. It makes sense when you think about it as a web dev/designer, but probably not as intuitive for a user.

Cant say I came across it before. Either that or my memory has failed me :)

Term may not be terribly common in user parlance; I'm open to suggestions :)

Obviously the concept itself works for Boards.ie; the plan is to provide sensible defaults (ie, breadcrumbs on by default) such that most casual users won't even be concerned with "cuztomization", so the breadcrumbs option should at most provoke some curiousity; all the "help" text is yet to be written, but at least I know that one needs better explanation :)

Of course I don't really want to end up dragging users through a bunch of subtle options designed purely for power users.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sully wrote: »
    As in "leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back", from Hansel & Gretel.

Ross wrote: »
    Thanks, both :)

I think this was fixed earlier (title was stopped early with a follow of "....") but it seems to have cropped up again.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60981834#post60981834

1024*768 FFX 3

Ross wrote: »
    Term may not be terribly common in user parlance; I'm open to suggestions :)
    Location trail!

Non techie users don't know what breadcrumbs are..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's nice, though my must have feature is a forum search box where you can type the first few letters of your forum name and have it pop up as opposed to wading your way through all the categories and forums for it.

Breadcrumbs ftw btw.

Stark wrote: »
    It's nice, though my must have feature is a forum search box where you can type the first few letters of your forum name and have it pop up as opposed to wading your way through all the categories and forums for it.

Breadcrumbs ftw btw.
    Click on menu preferences: find a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Awesome. Thanking you sir. (And thank you, Ross).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hello all. First time realising that there is another menu, and I like it so far. One change that I would make however is to add a 'close' button to the Menu Preferences box, or have it close itself a second or two after the cursor leaves it. Clicking the cog a second time to close the box doesnt seem to be the most intuitive option. That might just be me though!

Overall the whole thing looks great. No more scrolling to the top of a page to change forum!

• Advertisement

Hello all. First time realising that there is another menu, and I like it so far. One change that I would make however is to add a 'close' button to the Menu Preferences box, or have it close itself a second or two after the cursor leaves it. Clicking the cog a second time to close the box doesnt seem to be the most intuitive option. That might just be me though!

Overall the whole thing looks great. No more scrolling to the top of a page to change forum!
    Thanks! Excellent suggestion too, implemented.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement