Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm running 1024 x 768 and it's not working in google Chrome. I'm getting 'your browser blah blah...'.

FF has been constantly bugging out on me recently and I hate IE so I'm stuck with Chrome atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Echoing the dropdown and search now working as expected. Lock works a treat, but has a funky little side effect on the logo image on FF 3.0.10 on OS X.

menu_locked.png
    menu_open.png

Works a treat in Safari 4 Beta, looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Thanks to those who are providing resolutions, browsers, etc, most helpful, few things didn't upload correctly.

I'd like to remind you all that this is a beta, it's supposed to be broken, that's why it hasn't just been rolled straight out :). Still, if it's upsetting you, please don't hesitate to revert to the stable, default skin.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cool. New upload seemed to fix the other issues for me, but still seeing the logo funkyness in FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ah that's much better :)

If I were to be very nit-picky, It'd be nice to have an option to hide the forum search bar. I'm so used to just using the menu's to access the forums, and if I were ever unsure of where a forum is I'd usually just google it.

If that could be done, then it's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Working fine this end. I definitely think the addition of a 'gap' to the edge of the screen for the left/right aligned menu's helps. Looks far more organised, even if it's a hack.

The only small issue I have is that the thread and post searches are the wrong way around. The thread search shows posts and the post search shows threads.

Other than that, it's looking good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Actually, one other small issue. With the 'Find a forum' bit there, any time you click a link with 'goto=newpost' (e.g. the mails for subscribed threads) or reply to a thread, the top line of text is obscured by the search bit.

[edit] Example here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Firstly post of the day is there twice under Boards.ie, although thats probebly a non issue!

More importantly is how the Single Post page is rendering. Im on Firefox 3.3 on Ubuntu 9.04. Getting a gap between the menu and the top of the page when set to locked, this gap disapears when unlocked. The Single Post header is to the right. Something to do with floating divs Id say.

81351.png

Resolution 1280x 1024 btw. Sorry if this has already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Hurrah, fixed some bugs, created a whole host of others, always the way :)

Thanks for all the info, most appreciated, will continue to poke away at it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

An option to hide the seacrh bar would be nice. I can learn to live with it though

Really like the new slimline menu too

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Looks great, and the auto-suggest thing is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Is there a reason why the threads of the day are different on Boards Beta and regular Boards?

Boards Beta tells me it's a thread about hammocks.
    Regular Boards says it's a thread about engagement presents?

Another really minor issue - when you click a link to an anchor within boards (e.g. a specific post), some of it is obscured because it's under the menu. Don't know if there's much you can do about that, and it's only a small thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Wow! Ross, you deserve a pay rise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

eoin wrote: »
    Another really minor issue - when you click a link to an anchor within boards (e.g. a specific post), some of it is obscured because it's under the menu. Don't know if there's much you can do about that, and it's only a small thing.

Ah yeah it's only a tiny thing. I only noticed it today so I wasn't sure if maybe it was a glitch today or if it's daily. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I like the menu but got a bit of weirdness. In only one window of IE7 (Vista/res 1280x800) it came up with a message saying "Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead!" but only in one window it didnt appear in any of the other windows/tabs I've got open. Also the font size of the menu was much smaller than normal so I dont know what thats all about.

Anyway I've attached screenshots if its of any use.
    Boards1 is just the normal screen with the message
    Boards2 is the same screen with one of the menus open showing the smaller font size
    Boards3 is another window that didnt have the message and had the normal menu font size

Only suggestion I'd make is to have the menu open quicker than its doing now. Just feels like it takes an age for it to pop open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Is there a reason why the threads of the day are different on Boards Beta and regular Boards?

Boards Beta tells me it's a thread about hammocks.
    Regular Boards says it's a thread about engagement presents?

The thread of the day is calculated when the menu is regenerated each night. Since the beta menu is not getting generated nightly by the same process as the old menu, they're not going to have the same thread of the day.
    eoin wrote: »

That's on the list of things to fix if possible.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Wow! Ross, you deserve a pay rise :)

Yes, yes he does. :)
    JohnK wrote: »
    I like the menu but got a bit of weirdness. In only one window of IE7 (Vista/res 1280x800) it came up with a message saying "Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead!" but only in one window it didnt appear in any of the other windows/tabs I've got open. Also the font size of the menu was much smaller than normal so I dont know what thats all about.

Those symptoms sound like it was detecting your browser dimensions as smaller than 800x600. The menu is still in development so breakage like that is a little expected.
    Only suggestion I'd make is to have the menu open quicker than its doing now. Just feels like it takes an age for it to pop open.

Persuade Ross that Jakob Nielsen is wrong. :)

Seriously though, some of the delay is deliberate and some is due to your browser spending time rendering the menus. If the delay is shortened too much, it will be too fast for people with fast browsers (Chrome, Safari 4, IE8, etc.) and the menus will pop up when the mouse pointer is "passing through" on its way to a browser component. Conversely, if we add too much artificial delay, those on slow browsers (IE6, old Firefox versions) will find it intolerably long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It does seem to be working fine on my 7" eeepc now, didn't see any message about the it thinking it wouldn't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Conor wrote: »
    Oi Ross, that Jakob Nielsen fella is dead wrong!!! :p

Seriously though, some of the delay is deliberate and some is due to your browser spending time rendering the menus. If the delay is shortened too much, it will be too fast for people with fast browsers (Chrome, Safari 4, IE8, etc.) and the menus will pop up when the mouse pointer is "passing through" on its way to a browser component. Conversely, if we add too much artificial delay, those on slow browsers (IE6, old Firefox versions) will find it intolerably long.
    If its partially an artificial induced delay then would it be possible to have a setting in the control panel that allows that bit to be reduced or eliminated? You could even put it in the menu itself next to the padlock icon. Perhaps icons of a tortoise and a hare? :D

At least it would give people the choice then so those who prefer the faster menus could get them without affecting others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

If its partially an artificial induced delay then would it be possible to have a setting in the control panel that allows that bit to be reduced or eliminated? You could even put it in the menu itself next to the padlock icon. Perhaps icons of a tortoise and a hare? :D

At least it would give people the choice then so those who prefer the faster menus could get them without affecting others.

That option might be possible but I'm wary of anything that might add further personalised server-side time or further Javascript to the page. The speed of response for the site is highly dependent on the amount of personalisation (the more personalised a page is, the less opportunity we have for caching stuff) and on the amount of Javascript run on each page.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Occasionally the drop down menu won't go away after you hover away from it. I've found this browsing fora and when trying to post. Not particular to any category.

Also, you can't access the menus until the page has fully loaded; under the older menu you could which, if you knew where you were going, was a lot quicker.

It would be a sad day for the interwebs if more sites looked like Nielson's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I know I had suggested being able to hide the forum search bar, but if it's decided to keep it along with the menu, perhaps you could be a bit more productive with all that white space along side it? I mean if the purpose of the scrolling menu bar is to quickly access the different forums, then maybe a few more links would be even more handy.

Just off the top of my head (without cluttering the bar), links to our PM's and our Control Panel/User Profile would be very handy.

Daysha wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head (without cluttering the bar), links to our PM's and our Control Panel/User Profile would be very handy.

Even being able to type them into the cool "search forums" textbox would be great.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah we can certainly look at new features like that. I'd like to get the final buginnis out of it before creeping the scope of the project </project manager>

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Excellent improvements folks, much better. I agree with quick links to fill up the white space alright. Good to see the implementation of the "Find a forum" - was this originally held back due to load time increases?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement