Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Same issue here, Ross. I'm using Chrome 2.0.172.28 on Windows 7 RC 64 bit @ 1920 x 1200.
    Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead! Reported width: 0. Reported height: 4778

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

I've managed to reproduce this, really, really stupid bug.

It happens when opening a tab in the background, so middleclicking and then waiting before viewing the tab gives incorrect values for screen width. Opening in the foreground is fine, opening in the background and then quickly focusing on the tab before the page renders is fine. But leaving it to load in the background doesn't. Stupid Chrome, happens on both 2.0 and 3.0.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

justin_css.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

CSS is fine, the fecking javascript is the problem :) (but I appreciate the sentiment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

O_o
    Dual accounts

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    O_o
    Dual accounts
    Don't make me have to "disappear" you :)

I'm mucking around with stuff at the moment, in case you notice things acting strangely!

Just to keep you up to date, we've submitted a bug report to Google for the issue with Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

*ahem* ..... any sign of when the new menu will be on the other skins? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

star-pants wrote: »

Like green perhaps?

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Like green perhaps?

I was thinking black ;)

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    We'll start thinking about styles when we're finished with the feature implementation / functional testing, but we're not considering it yet!

Ross wrote: »
    We'll start thinking about styles when we're finished with the feature implementation / functional testing, but we're not considering it yet!

That's flair hun :)

the menu is cool though

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont think its a given that we will do it for all styles. This may be a brand new start to our UI simply because having 15 styles means having to make the same small changes 15 times... massively increasing the work required to make any UI changes and lets face it, the UI needs changing.

Leave it with us, we'll need to have a strategic think about a few things...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    I dont think its a given that we will do it for all styles. This may be a brand new start to our UI simply because having 15 styles means having to make the same small changes 15 times... massively increasing the work required to make any UI changes and lets face it, the UI needs changing.

Leave it with us, we'll need to have a strategic think about a few things...

DeV.

Are you not making an assumption there? The UI is old, but Its not broken yet. How many users are actually crying out for a new UI?

I mean, just recently AIB changed there internet banking, and yes it is easier to use for the clueless but now instead off being able complete transactions simply I have to go through several slower steps. They (as in AIB) needed the new UI, but I personally didn't. You (boards-LTD) need a new UI due to the huge number of clueless people (See exhibit A and B) on this site, I however dont and would prefer the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm sure the old menu will be staying somewhere Boston, until a point where a critical mass of users move over to the new one, then pleasing the most people vs bandwidth issues or other complications will apply.

Nothing wrong with proactively making a change/enhancement surely as opposed to waiting until something breaks is there?

I'd be from the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" school of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Just a suggestion, take it or dump it. There are complaints that the sub-menus take too long to pop up. How about it pops up automatically if the user clicks on the category heading? Then the link to the category could be the orange header in the sub-menu.

I don't agree Boston, imo we (as a human race!) should be actively trying to improve the thing that doesn't need fixing to make it even better. In my opinion the menu is better, but that's just me.

I'd be from the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" school of thought.
    What sort of an engineer are you? Jesus wept :)

turgon wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, take it or dump it.

Thats a poor suggestion, do you even know what feedback is for? I like the old menu, for what reason wouldn't I voice that opinion. Should I wait until the menu is completely removed and then whinge?
    Gordon wrote: »
    I don't agree Boston, imo we (as a human race!) should be actively trying to improve the thing that doesn't need fixing to make it even better. In my opinion the menu is better, but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, in many ways its a better menu, and I'm sure once the bugs are fixed it will be even better. But that said, I've never had a problem with the one thats there.

• Advertisement

Thats a poor suggestion, do you even know what feedback is for? I like the old menu, for what reason wouldn't I voice that opinion. Should I wait until the menu is completely removed and then whinge?
    Yes because then, in your eyes (or more), it would be broken! :)

I completely see your point btw, I wouldn't like to see the old menu taken away as I like it and see the relative simplicity of it a great plus, one that I may move back and forth from the new menu to now and then. So if it got taken away I'd be on your side as I don't want the old one removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

turgon wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, take it or dump it. There are complaints that the sub-menus take too long to pop up. How about it pops up automatically if the user clicks on the category heading? Then the link to the category could be the orange header in the sub-menu.

I like that idea. I keep clicking on them by mistake as it is because of the delay.

Gordon wrote: »
    Yes because then, in your eyes (or more), it would be broken! :)

I can see it now

Boston: Where did the menu go, damn admins constantly changing things without informing the users, its a disgrace.

DeVore: Here's a six month old thread about the new menu, which you clearly posted in.

Boston: I see you've played "Admin Vs Troll" before.

Rabble: It was on a different forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

That suggestion was not a reply to any of your posts, just an out of the blue thought I had. So I dont know what your getting bitchy with me for :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

*suppresses giggles @Boston's post to appear serious*

We wont be forcing the new menu or any new UI features on anyone but thats not to say we will be updating each of the skins with the new changes either.

My intention would be for the old interface and menu etc to remain on "classic" skins and for a single, unified, best-foot-forward skin to arise which can contain all this new fangled UI stuff.

This satisfies the majority of people.

Personally, if I could kill all the skins I would, but I think I may have been involved in suggesting them at the start too.. I cant remember :)

DeV.

I can see it now

Boston: Where did the menu go, damn admins constantly changing things without informing the users, its a disgrace.

DeVore: Here's a six month old thread about the new menu, which you clearly posted in.

Boston: I see you've played "Admin Vs Troll" before.

Rabble: It was on a different forum.
    Sorry, I just wanted to quote Boston acknowledging he is a troll... for future reference obv! :p

DeV.

Performance is a big deal for myself and Conor, the last thing we want to do is load a clunky, unusable system on to everyone, that's why we're having this beta. The feedback has been unbelievably useful, huge amount of underlying modification done since the first iteration for "beta 2" (what you're seeing at the moment).

This is beta in the very real software developement sense of the word, ie, ready to be tested by regular users, but not ready to be deployed.

I really appreciate the opportunity to have a bunch of people contribute and report bugs before we roll it out. I've never designed a navigation system before (important note, the actual menu concept was developed by interactive designer Kevin Canon, a boards member, as well as the original HTML and CSS) so this is a pretty unique and interesting opportunity, as well as being pretty unique in scale for this particular implementation.

We've made some mistakes with it (a good few of which I hope you'll agree we've tackled pretty well) and with help from you lot we'll hopefully turn it into something far better than "passable" which, let's face it, is something boardsies have put up with for a long time.

By the time we're setting it for release I want it to be the kind of thing most people say "wow, that's amazing, I can't believe I was using boards.ie without this". Perhaps ambitious, but hey, reach for the stars and you'll land on the moon eh :)

CuLT wrote: »
    Performance is a big deal for myself and Conor, the last thing we want to do is load a clunky, unusable system on to everyone, that's why we're having this beta. The feedback has been unbelievably useful, huge amount of underlying modification done since the first iteration for "beta 2" (what you're seeing at the moment).

This is beta in the very real software developement sense of the word, ie, ready to be tested by regular users, but not ready to be deployed.

I really appreciate the opportunity to have a bunch of people contribute and report bugs before we roll it out. I've never designed a navigation system before (important note, the actual menu concept was developed by interactice designer Kevin Canon, a boards member, as well as the original HTML and CSS) so this is a pretty unique and interesting opportunity, as well as being pretty unique in scale for this particular implementation.

We've made some mistakes with it (a good few of which I hope you'll agree we've tackled pretty well) and with help from you lot we'll hopefully turn it into something far better than "passable" which, let's face it, is something boardsies have put up with for a long time.

By the time we're setting it for release I want it to be the kind of thing most people say "wow, that's amazing, I can't believe I was using boards.ie without this". Perhaps ambitious, but hey, reach for the stars and you'll land on the moon eh :)
    You had me at "Performance is a big deal for myself and Conor,". /swoon

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DeVore wrote: »
    My intention would be for the old interface and menu etc to remain on "classic" skins and for a single, unified, best-foot-forward skin to arise which can contain all this new fangled UI stuff.

This satisfies the majority of people.

Personally, if I could kill all the skins I would, but I think I may have been involved in suggesting them at the start too.. I cant remember :)

DeV.

I'd certainly say this is the way to go. Get the single close to perfect one right and then turn everything else off. Imo if someones on boards it should look the same no matter where you are. The colours etc should be 'boards' and recognisable. I know it's a bit marketingy but it has to be the way to go.
    Changes are easier, a rebrand would be easier etc etc.

Special skins for special occasions would still be cool in a google kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i like the menu :)

got a feeling i wont have the time to enjoy it tho, overreacted to some soccer stuff lately

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement