Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options
  • 18-05-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

We're testing a new navigation system at the moment, you can check it out by choosing "Boards.ie Beta" from the style menu at the bottom left hand corner of the site.

Feedback sought; this is the first iteration we're putting out the door so it's undoubtedly going to require revision :)

If you spot something that looks strange, we'd really appreciate it if you'd post your operating system, browser version and screen resolution, a brief description and even a screenshot if you can manage. It's a lot more helpful than "it sucks", (because that doesn't really tell us anything!) but you are of course entitled to your opinion :)

Known Issues:
    • This is designed to be viewed on a minimum resolution of 1024x768, which rules out some netbooks.
    • Hovering over menu items can make a horizontal scrollbar appear.
    • On IE6, the menu is fixed width, giving the appearance of unnecessary whitespace.
    • On IE6, SELECT boxes disappear to facilitate showing the menu, this is visually noticable on the search page, but does not impact functionality.
    • On IE6, The menu does not "float" at the top as the user scrolls.
    • Menu items may appear to be logically disjointed - submenus appearing on the column next to their parent.
    • "Statistics" directs to a 404.
    • If you have 90+ subscribed forums the subbed menu will display incorrectly.
    • If you edit a post, then open the menu it remains present even if you hover away.
    • Music menu incorrectly aligns to the left in Internet Explorer 7+ - Fixed
    • Slightly delayed rendering of menu on IE8 - Fixed

In case you're wondering, the plan is for the old (read: current) menu to be available also. This will facilitate those users for whom the new menu would pose problems or who simply dislike it.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ross wrote: »
    We're testing a new navigation system at the moment, you can check it out by choosing "Boards.ie Beta" from the style menu at the bottom left hand corner of the site.

Feedback appreciated, this is the first iteration we're putting out the door so it's undoubtedly going to require revision :)

So this is the reason my Subbed menu has disappeared.

Also Ross, incase you were not aware, my 'quick reply' is no longer working.
    The only way I can make a reply is if I hit the quote icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Beruthiel wrote: »
    So this is the reason my Subbed menu has disappeared.

Also Ross, incase you were not aware, my 'quick reply' is no longer working.
    The only way I can make a reply is if I hit the quote icon.
    Nope, shouldn't be causing any problems, try Ctrl+F5 or restarting your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nice. Is there a bugs/suggestions thread for it?

seamus wrote: »
    Nice. Is there a bugs/suggestions thread for it?
    This thread will do fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Woah that's chunky! Nice menu, just a bit too much white space around it imo. Ooh, scrolling with the browser, very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nope, shouldn't be causing any problems, try Ctrl+F5 or restarting your browser.

Thanks Ross.
    That worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree with Gordon, very chunky but the fact that it scrolls with the page is very nice.

If it were the same menu (aesthetically) as we have now but had the same function as the beta it'd be perfect.

I like it overall, not seeing the scroll bar, but maybe on the laptop at home I will.

Initial impression is that every "tab" should be the same width. The "Boards.ie" and "Search" perhaps should be a bit larger, but all of the rest of them should be the exact same width, regardless of the length of the name.

Also, some separation between the tabs might be worth investigating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Looks sweet.

Only two issues so far... first may be browser related, I'm guessing.

When I am looking at the drop down for the music cat, the menu hugs the lft hand side of the screen, which is miles away from where I'm looking and my mouse pointer is. This feels iffy, and is made worse when you look at Rec which hugs the right.

I would guess the first x/2 cats are left justified and thats why it's happening but it feels a little weird.

Secondly and purely aesthetically I am not sure red white and blue works, despite what certain countries might think. :)

Aye same width probably would look nicer, along with seperation bars like you have for the outside two. Maybe the search and boards outside links could be white, or lighter blue or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I like it

Minimalist next plz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm sure there will be lots of great suggestions for tweaks, but I think it's a great idea.

Probably not the right place to suggest this, but a text box to enter a forum name with an auto-suggest feature would be a nice addition to it as well.

Edit - where has "forum tools" gone? For some reason on boards.ie only I need to mark all forums read to stop threads appearing as updated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

SDooM wrote: »
    Looks sweet.

Only two issues so far... first may be browser related, I'm guessing.

When I am looking at the drop down for the music cat, the menu hugs the lft hand side of the screen, which is miles away from where I'm looking and my mouse pointer is. This feels iffy, and is made worse when you look at Rec which hugs the right.
    I'm having the same issue with Hosted, but Music is fine for me.

FF3.0 1680x1050

I don't really like it. I think I'll move back to cloudland.

If you're having positioning problems, could you post your browser version and screen resolution (if you're fullscreen)?

The menu works at a supported minimum of 1024x768, and the plan is to leave the other menu as an option, so don't panic too much if you really hate it :)

Jonathan wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue with Hosted, but Music is fine for me.

FF3.0 1680x1050

I don't really like it. I think I'll move back to cloudland.
    Same here with Hosted, but in fairness do you use fullscreen while on 1680? I find it way too big to read at that resolution, I browse with my FF window 2 thirds of the window size.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Gordon wrote: »
    Same here with Hosted, but in fairness do you use fullscreen while on 1680? I find it way too big to read at that resolution, I browse with my FF window 2 thirds of the window size.
    Yea, I don't like having loose windows. I'm looking forward to that feature of win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I like the functionality of it. Definite improvement there.

Couple of things ::

--- I don't like the 'scroll with the page' feature. Bit distracting when trying to read.

--- It's all a bit chunky. Though maybe that's more to do with this big blue theme it's on (I use 'Classic' which is a little more subdued).

Good work though!

//edit.
    Actually, I could totally get over the 'scroll with the page' thing. It is handy. I think it's just that sky blue which draws my eyes to it. Moar themes pls!

eoin wrote: »
    Edit - where has "forum tools" gone? For some reason on boards.ie only I need to mark all forums read to stop threads appearing as updated.

That option is also available under "Quick Links" on the same level as "User CP" and "Logout" on any page. Didn't get around to analyzing the most used options for the first iteration, but it's also on the cards.

• Advertisement

That option is also available under "Quick Links" on the same level as "User CP" and "Logout" on any page. Didn't get around to analyzing the most used options for the first iteration, but it's also on the cards.

That's per forum though, right? I mean the "forum utilities" option in the original menu that marks all forums read and so on. Not a big deal (for me anyway) though.

eoin wrote: »
    That's per forum though, right? I mean the "forum utilities" option in the original menu that marks all forums read and so on. Not a big deal (for me anyway) though.
    Nope, same functionality! Most of the menu options are actually replicated from various places throughout vBulletin.

Will endeavour to expose the most useful stuff with the new menu.

Goodshape wrote: »
    --- I don't like the 'scroll with the page' feature. Bit distracting when trying to read.
    For Cult's to-do list:
    Add a small checkbox with a padlock icon to the top-left of the menu. This allows the user to control the behaviour of the menu and switch the CSS position property from "fixed" to "absolute" (or relative, YMMV).

For bonus points, incorporate an AJAX call which saves this preference in the user's profile.

Nope, same functionality! Most of the menu options are actually replicated from various places throughout vBulletin.

Will endeavour to expose the most useful stuff with the new menu.

Sorry Ross - I thought you meant the area underneath the Quick Links dropdown, not actually an option in it. I was clicking the "forum tools link".

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It is probably my connection here in work but it is quite slow for me. Also, it doesn't scroll with the window with IE6.

I look forward to trying this with a proper browser when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Looks ok on IE6 (WinXP) here in work (ssssh).
    However, there is a lot of white space so it appears to be too big.
    A suggestion on a more minor issue, would it be possible when clicking the menu items on the right hand side of the page to align the drop down list items to the right also, just below where the user clicks.
    Similarly for menu items in the middle of the page, align the drop downs to centre as well.
    This would save having to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other to select the choice you want. A nice to have more than a necessity.

I'll have a look at home this evening on firefox & Vista see what its like.

EDIT: Scratch bit about aligning things, its not a problem in IE7 or firefox 2.0.0.2, must be just an IE6 thing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Definatley like it, scroll with page is a great feature and the large menus are sure as hell better then the cluttered ones like sport.

[Edit]
    One thing I've noticed, when you use the go to first new post/last post button, the bar at the top is positioned slightly on top of the post in question.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I really like it Ross. Also love the fact that the menu is stuck at the top of my window when scrolling through threads... that's a big big bonus.

Would you consider transparency? Having it transparent when it first appears then becoming solid... just a thought!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Seems to be working fine on safari (mac)
    will post up other stuff when/if i come across it.

*thumbs up*

p.s final CA exams start tomorrow ross :p you dodged a bullet there i tell ya :pac:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement