Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, more about getting the first beta out so it could be reviewed by the people here before adding on that part. I dont think it has much load on the server at all tbh.

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Daysha wrote: »
    I know I had suggested being able to hide the forum search bar, but if it's decided to keep it along with the menu, perhaps you could be a bit more productive with all that white space along side it? I mean if the purpose of the scrolling menu bar is to quickly access the different forums, then maybe a few more links would be even more handy.

Just off the top of my head (without cluttering the bar), links to our PM's and our Control Panel/User Profile would be very handy.

Not sure if you need them as stand alone links when they are available in the boards.ie drop down menu in the current version?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I still think the slowness is too much even if it's part of the design. Maybe add an option to allow users to increase the speed.

Still though, I think it's more a bar with site maps than a menu now.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sully wrote: »
    Excellent improvements folks, much better. I agree with quick links to fill up the white space alright. Good to see the implementation of the "Find a forum" - was this originally held back due to load time increases?
    The "find a forum" feature is actually very lean. It queries a static array that is generated with the menu itself, so there is no need to query the database. The autocompleter itself also does some clientside caching of results.

Unfortunately it's pretty much the only search feature on boards that is particularly straight-forward and low-cost (time and resource-wise) to implement :)

Slydice wrote: »
    I still think the slowness is too much even if it's part of the design. Maybe add an option to allow users to increase the speed.

i'd agree with this tbh, I'm finding myself clicking it as a reflex fair bit now as it takes so long to react to the rollover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I don’t know if this is possible but is it possible to get forums with restricted access (such as the mod forum) to show up in the menu list without having to click into the category?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

kearnsr wrote: »
    I don’t know if this is possible but is it possible to get forums with restricted access (such as the mod forum) to show up in the menu list without having to click into the category?
    Fraid not for the moment, still haven't got a robust solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CuLT wrote: »
    Fraid not for the moment, still haven't got a robust solution.

Can you explain (for a simple person) why it isnt possible?

if you sub to the private forums they'll appear in the subbed drop down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

kearnsr wrote: »
    Can you explain (for a simple person) why it isnt possible?

To show the private forums, you'd have to either generate the menu once per page view (and slow down every page you see) or generate it once per user (and write a whole bunch of extra files to disk and write some code to clean up/update out-of-date copies of the menu).

At the moment, the menu only needs to be regenerated once per day and we can serve the same menu to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Conor wrote: »
    To show the private forums, you'd have to either generate the menu once per page view (and slow down every page you see) or generate it once per user (and write a whole bunch of extra files to disk and write some code to clean up/update out-of-date copies of the menu).

At the moment, the menu only needs to be regenerated once per day and we can serve the same menu to everyone.
    Mind if I ask how you overcome that with the Subbed list section? Not nitpicking, just genuinely curious.

Mind if I ask how you overcome that with the Subbed list section? Not nitpicking, just genuinely curious.

glad someone else asked. it would appear that all of the above has to be done to generate the subbed menu anyway, it has to be per user??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I might be well off, but it could be to do with how it's stored in the database. It might be a much less intensive query to get the subbed forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Since the subbed menu included private forums I can only conclude its a per user query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

The subbed menu, control panel and search are added in after the fact with per-user code. The main chunk of the menu is static.

EDIT: It's not that the query for all the forums is expensive, it's that the data about the forums and categories is not in a particularly useful form in the database and needs some processing after it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Conor wrote: »
    The subbed menu, control panel and search are added in after the fact with per-user code. The main chunk of the menu is static.

EDIT: It's not that the query for all the forums is expensive, it's that the data about the forums and categories is not in a particularly useful form in the database and needs some processing after it comes out.
    Thats cool, I had figured that was most likely the case. Just wanted to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Update with confirmed bugs:
    • Firefox: Hovering from a menu on to an adjacent input or textfield breaks the "off hover" event handling, making the menu appear to "stick". This can be resolved by hovering back over the menu or to another menu item. No known solution yet.
    • Chrome: Occasionally, a warning message will display saying "[noparse]Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead![/noparse]". A potential fix for this has been deployed, so if the warning is still spotted, please report it!
    • All Browsers: Positioning problems; the menu overlaps information and that information is partially misaligned on the "showpost" page, not enough space between menu and content on front pages, title/logo is positioned incorrectly, somewhat evident in IE. Will be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ross wrote: »
    • All Browsers: Positioning problems; the menu overlaps information and that information is partially misaligned on the "showpost" page, not enough space between menu and content on front pages, title/logo is positioned incorrectly, somewhat evident in IE. Will be fixed.

How about a button next to the padlock icon to hide the menu via css onclick? It only hides it just the once for that page if you click it. Or edit the showpost.php to put a few <br>s before the post <table>? Although I imagine you have thought of that.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

• Chrome: Occasionally, a warning message will display saying "[noparse]Hi! Your browser won't show this page properly :( Please try our legacy theme instead![/noparse]". A potential fix for this has been deployed, so if the warning is still spotted, please report it!
    I'm still getting this warning message a lot (but not all the time) and when I do get it, the text in the menu shrinks to make it almost illegible.

• Advertisement

I'm still getting this warning message a lot (but not all the time) and when I do get it, the text in the menu shrinks to make it almost illegible.
    Can you post a screenshot the next time this happens? Try a hard recache also (Ctrl+F5) and see if it makes a difference.

This will be a problem with really narrow browser window height or width, regardless of resolution.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Can you post a screenshot the next time this happens? Try a hard recache also (Ctrl+F5) and see if it makes a difference.

This will be a problem with really narrow browser window height or width, regardless of resolution.
    menuscrn.jpg

If I Ctrl+F5 (or sometimes just F5) it goes away but it still comes back every so often. I'll completely clear my cache now and see what difference that makes.

Ok, I've altered the script to also include what it's reading as your screen width and height, so next time you see the warning post those :) (again, may require Ctrl+F5)

Cheers!

Ok, I've altered the script to also include what it's reading as your screen width and height, so next time you see the warning post those :) (again, may require Ctrl+F5)

Cheers!
    menuscrn2.jpg

And...

menuscrn3.jpg

(I included both because there were different reported heights.)

Wow, that is fracked.

What version of Chrome are you using? Will be under the wrench icon and "About Google Chrome".

Wow, that is fracked.

What version of Chrome are you using? Will be under the wrench icon and "About Google Chrome".
    Version 2.0.172.30.

I wouldn't mind because I prefer FF but my FF is bugging out the whole time.

Very strange; going to wait for more reports (with version numbers) to roll in, not sure why Chrome is giving bizarro values for screen width and height.

Haven't been able to replicate in work, saw it on my home machine, must check what version that is.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement