Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I've tried it again and it's much better, the slight time delay makes a big difference.
    So I too give my thanks.
    I will stick with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had it turned on and found it alright.

I did notice that my pages were taking longer to load. Switched back to check the difference and load time has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Slidey wrote: »
    I had it turned on and found it alright.

I did notice that my pages were taking longer to load. Switched back to check the difference and load time has improved.
    Especially when using dial up or midband.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

** Silly question alert **

How do I change it back :o

• Advertisement

** Silly question alert **

How do I change it back :o
    Down at the bottom left of the screen there is a drop down menu with all the skins on it. It'll currently say "Boards.ie Beta"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I still cant see it :(

Bottom left of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

It's really nice but following you as you scroll down the page i'm not sure im too fond of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Love the menu Ross. Great work. Big improvement on the old one. Very handy the way it scrolls with you, and makes it alot easier to see the amount of forums that are actually on the site!

Mine does get a bit stuck with the adds on the bottom occasionaly. Using Opera 9.64 on Windows 7

picture1sod.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ross, Conor and I have talked about a little "lock" icon, top right to allow user control over whether the menu scrolls with the screen or not as clearly some people like it (me!) and others dont. So we'll make it optional, shortly.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Judging the book by the cover, I thought it was too big and too slow.

I'd say I could get used to the size... :rolleyes:... but the slowness of it might be annoying.

Have it smaller, tighter and acting like the old menu at first but with one difference... keep the title bit at the top (the text in red if you know what I mean).

Have the word "expand" to the right or under the title text (or maybe an arrow or some symbol of expansion). If clicked, it could reveal the menu the way it currently looks... well apart from the more compactness that I suggested earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I like, shame it doesn't fit on my eeepc screen though. Does look to be working fine on the big laptop though currently running Chrome and Vista.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As I said in the other thread, post of the day seems to be stuck on this skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's because the new menu isn't generated nightly. Yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seamus wrote: »
    That's because the new menu isn't generated nightly. Yet.
    Ah, I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I like it, does it come in black?

(I prefer the evil skin, red and black goes nicely with my avatar :pac:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ross wrote: »
    In case you're wondering, the plan is for the old (read: current) menu to be available also. This will facilitate those users for whom the new menu would pose problems or who simply dislike it.

It's a lot slower to pop up, and I don't think the trade off of speed for style is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

orestes wrote: »
    I like it, does it come in black?

(I prefer the evil skin, red and black goes nicely with my avatar :pac:)

The hollow'een skin is what is being done before that one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The hollow'een skin is what is being done before that one :P

but we all know the Cloud skin will the first. It sohuld be set as default :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but now that I'm getting used to the menu following me about - how about a link on the menu (next to subbed or under the far left Boards.ie dropdown) for 'current forum'. Clicking on that link now would bring me to Feedback for example. Or maybe that's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Much easier to navigate, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Only a little bug, and I'm having trouble reproducing it consistently. If the menu overlaps an active quick reply box, then it doesn't always hide automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Update!

We've taken feedback onboard and are ready to roll out the first revision now. You will need to hit "Ctrl+F5" or refresh your browser cache to see the changes. Until then you may see errors with the menu.

I'm going to highlight some of the changes here.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Woah that's chunky! Nice menu, just a bit too much white space around it imo.
    Rb wrote: »
    I agree with Gordon, very chunky but the fact that it scrolls with the page is very nice.

If it were the same menu (aesthetically) as we have now but had the same function as the beta it'd be perfect.
    We've "slimmed down" the menu, largely reducing whitespace or other "unused" space.
    Initial impression is that every "tab" should be the same width. The "Boards.ie" and "Search" perhaps should be a bit larger, but all of the rest of them should be the exact same width, regardless of the length of the name.

Also, some separation between the tabs might be worth investigating.
    Width for all items is now uniform, and the "outer" menu items have been made bold to give them a subtle distinction from the other category options.
    SDooM wrote: »
    When I am looking at the drop down for the music cat, the menu hugs the lft hand side of the screen, which is miles away from where I'm looking and my mouse pointer is. This feels iffy, and is made worse when you look at Rec which hugs the right.
    This was a bug with IE and has been fixed.
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    For Cult's to-do list:
    Add a small checkbox with a padlock icon to the top-left of the menu. This allows the user to control the behaviour of the menu and switch the CSS position property from "fixed" to "absolute" (or relative, YMMV).

For bonus points, incorporate an AJAX call which saves this preference in the user's profile.
    We have implemented this "lock/unlock" functionality, which is a nifty suggestion :) It's purely cookie based for the moment (not saved to the database) so it won't change across systems, which mirrors similar "show/hide" functionality in vBulletin that applies to "additional options", "quick reply", etc.
    eoin wrote: »
    Probably not the right place to suggest this, but a text box to enter a forum name with an auto-suggest feature would be a nice addition to it as well.
    The reduction in whitespace and the addition of the ability to lock and unlock the menu gave us space for this without intruding any further into screenspace.
    Top left seemed like the best place for this menu, placing it in the search drop down (with the other search options) was difficult to implement functionally, and it seemed pointless to hide such a useful addition.
    eoin wrote: »
    Edit - where has "forum tools" gone? For some reason on boards.ie only I need to mark all forums read to stop threads appearing as updated.
    I've trawled through google analytics looking for the most used "functions", and each option has been placed roughly hierarchically in order of it's usage.
    It turns out that the "forgotten password" link is used a lot, so it's been placed under "Join Boards.ie" for guest users viewing the menu.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'm viewing this on my eee 1000 and it pretty much takes up the whole screen when I highlight one of the categories. Anyone else tried it on a netbook?
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    The menu should now render correctly on almost all netbook machines, down to 800x600. Readability may be an issue, but we're going to wait for feedback. Smaller resolutions where parts of the menu would be hidden will receive a warning box suggesting they use our "legacy" menu.
    [-0-] wrote: »
    When you view a single post the menu disappears.
    The menu has been added to "showpost" also.
    As I said in the other thread, post of the day seems to be stuck on this skin.
    It'll be a bit random until it goes "properly" live, at the moment whenever I remember to regenerate it it gets updated :)

Additionally:
    The javascript has received an overhaul with a view to improving performance. Note, there is an intentional delay between hovering over a menu item and having it appear.

Behaviour in IE6 has been significantly improved, rendering should be faster and the menu should appear virtually identical to the "unlocked" view in other modern browsers.

Bugs:
    • On IE6, there is no "stick" option. This is a CSS feature that is not implemented in IE6 and is therefore unfortunately not possible to fix.
    • On IE6, SELECT boxes disappear when hovering over a menu item. If any designers/developers out there have a more elegant practical solution for this we'd welcome hearing about it :)
    • If you have 90+ subscribed forums the subbed menu will display incorrectly. (Will not be fixed)
    • On All Browsers, If you hover off the menu into an active text box, like edit or quick reply the menu will not disappear. Hovering over another menu item will resume normal functionality. Plans are to fix this if we can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

eVeNtInE: What resolution are you running that at? You'll see that message if the resolution is < 800x600.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's loading for me on Chrome OK and the lock/ unlock works fine, just not getting any of the popouts anymore, just the catergory headings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Same here. Pages taking 20 seconds plus to load, drop down menu not working, and neither is the search function.
    Can I go back to the way it was?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement