Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Odsox

You're right, they do guarantee the discount.
    Either I missed that earlier in the week or the have recently added it.
    Alas, too late for me as I signed up with BG last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bord Gais Electricity threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

I would be very wary of being at the mercy of BG for both gas and electricity. What passes for customer service on the gas side is woeful and I cannot imagine it improving. I just got my gas bill for Dec 8 - Feb 12 and despite being away for two weeks during the period, heating turned off, the bill was €150 higher than the last bill. When I called to query the amount I was greeted with the usual ill manners and contempt that I have come to expect. I suggested that they check the metre, their equipment, and was told that to do this would incurr a €400.00 charge!!!!!! I am changing to Airtricity for electricity, BG will not be real competition in the long term, I may be a suspicious cynic but I firmly believe that this is a strategy by two state monolopies (ESB and BG) to drive Airtricity out of the market and ensure that no other real competitors enter. Tread with caution, these outfits have bled us white for years and I cannot believe that they are planning anything else for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskydisco

10% minimum reduction, but for the first three years only! Hmmm.. I wondered what the catch was going to be. You know I am glad to switch to another supplier (for practically any service) if it involves a reduction in my bill, but if it's only going to be for three years and then moving back to the ESB (in this case) might very well incur some sort of outrageous 'reconnection fee' bullc**p, then would it really be worth it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 icetara9

Does anyone know if there is a disconnection fee from ESB if you change to Bord Gais?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

icetara9 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a disconnection fee from ESB if you change to Bord Gais?

No there is not disconnection fee,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Rang Airtricity re having signed up when the offer was 10% and now it's 13% and I am eligible for the 13% too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

riskydisco wrote: »
    10% minimum reduction, but for the first three years only! Hmmm.. I wondered what the catch was going to be. You know I am glad to switch to another supplier (for practically any service) if it involves a reduction in my bill, but if it's only going to be for three years and then moving back to the ESB (in this case) might very well incur some sort of outrageous 'reconnection fee' bullc**p, then would it really be worth it in the end?

If you are an existing customer of ESB and have been a good payer then there will be no fee should you wish to return at any time in the future.

Even with new domestic customers ESB's conditions are payment of a €300 refundable (after 14 months) deposit or payment of the account by direct debit.

There is no question of any fee being levied on customers just because they wish to switch back.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

riskydisco wrote: »

Why are you complaining about the 3 year promise :confused: What do you want them to say, it will be cheaper for infinity? If you dont like the savings after 2 years and 10 months then set above moving back to the ESB or another provider?

Only worrying note now that I think about it is, if you suffer a power cut you now have to ring BG? I suppose it wont make much of a difference as everybody will be affected so it will get fixed in the same timespan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sizzler wrote: »
    Why are you complaining about the 3 year promise :confused: What do you want them to say, it will be cheaper for infinity? If you dont like the savings after 2 years and 10 months then set above moving back to the ESB or another provider?

Only worrying note now that I think about it is, if you suffer a power cut you now have to ring BG? I suppose it wont make much of a difference as everybody will be affected so it will get fixed in the same timespan?

I agree fully about Riskydisco's unfounded complaint. He's also ranting about a non-existant reconnection charge. Some people look for something to complain about no matter what the gift horse looks like.

Power custs are reported to ESB Networks not BGE and they will ask for your Meter Point Registration Number (MPRN). They won't know, or care, what supply company you are with and the repair will be done without any reference to your supplier. They have all kinds of SLAs and regulation around that point. It's not like when the phone business went into competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Site's down or something - not showing for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Even more good news :D
    Energy prices set to drop

RTE News - Tuesday, 3 March 2009 16:43

Energy prices are set to drop from next month with electricity prices going down 10% and gas prices being reduced by 12%.

The drop in gas prices will also extend to small and medium enterprises.The reduction in electricity prices will apply to all customers using any of the companies.

Bord Gáis has confirmed that its offer of undercutting ESB prices by as much as 14% remains in place, despite today's announcement. It means that customers who switch to Bord Gáis could see their prices drop by as much as 24%.

Airtricity has also confirmed that its prices will remain 13% lower than the ESB, despite today's announcment of a 10% reduction.

A company spokesman said the offer was guaranteed until January of next year.

This means that ESB customers who switch to Airtricity will see a 23% reduction in their bills from next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Even more good news :D

Call me an old cynic if you like, they'll go up again in Oct/Nov. Down as it gets warmer and people use less. Up when it gets colder and people use more. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

electron wrote: »
    airtricity DO gurantee the discount - until 31.01.2010 : https://www.airtricity.com/ireland/for_your_home/our_prices/

so that means, it's wiser to switch to airtricity first, and then review in january 2010! :p

I know it's great! I'm so glad that I signed up to Airtricity! :D

I got my final bill from ESB the other day! So, we're officially with Airtricity now.... none of this waiting 60 days hog-wash, and we didn't have to pay a penny in a deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I getting worried I see ppl getting their final ESB bill, but I never got mine and I swiched the day it came out!

Should I call them?

padocon wrote: »
    I getting worried I see ppl getting their final ESB bill, but I never got mine and I swiched the day it came out!

Should I call them?

The people you should call are the people you signed up with, not the ESB.

It may be that you did not provide your own meter reading at the time in which case they may be waiting for the next official meter reading. If you did provide your own reading then you should have received your final bill by now.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

There's a part on the form that asks "Are you the home owner"? I'm a tenant in a house split into flats, each with it's own meter. I'd rather do the switch over myself without having to involve my landlord (as it would be a pain in the hole and he's old school, semi state era sort of bloke TBH).

I'm just concerned that if I go and put down that I'm owner of the house, will there be implications if I should move out in the future?

As I've said, if I have to notify the landlord I will. But I'd rather not TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I think on the back of yesterday's news, I'll be moving to Airtricity. They will give a hefty discount on the electricity and are allegedly due to enter the domestic gas market soon - therefore you'll also get a % discount on your domestic gas bill - something Bord Gáis can't offer because the regulator sets their prices.
    Dual fuel bill is what I'm after! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bethrifty

Switched to Bord Gais
    ESB v expensive!

stepbar wrote: »
    There's a part on the form that asks "Are you the home owner"? I'm a tenant in a house split into flats, each with it's own meter. I'd rather do the switch over myself without having to involve my landlord (as it would be a pain in the hole and he's old school, semi state era sort of bloke TBH).

I'm just concerned that if I go and put down that I'm owner of the house, will there be implications if I should move out in the future?

As I've said, if I have to notify the landlord I will. But I'd rather not TBH.

Yes, it's a sin to tell a lie -especially in this holy season of Lent. However, if you are not too concerned about the stain on your soul you could always claim to be the homeowner and BGE or Airtricity will be none the wiser. They are not going to ask you for mortgage details or anything like that.

And when you do move out simply state you have sold the apartment. If in the meantime you have paid your bills on time BGE/Airtricity will have no issues with you as you will be regarded as a good payer which is all they are concerned with anyhow.

I presume by the way that the existing electricity account is in your name? If on the other hand it is in the landlord's name then you could be getting into trouble with him were you to unilaterally change the arrangement.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

The ESB are going to suffer with this one by the looks of it! Ah sure, they have enough of our money saved up from over the past 100 years to keep them going through the recession!!

I'll be changing today!! :D Bord Gais here I came (sorry, but I have oil heating)!! (Doing my samba dance on the way to bord gais)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Baldie wrote: »
    The ESB are going to suffer with this one by the looks of it! Ah sure, they have enough of our money saved up from over the past 100 years to keep them going through the recession!!

Baldie, I'll not repeat all that's gone before but read back to see that ESB will not suffer; indeed they want plenty of domestic customers to go to other suppliers.

Oh and it's 82 years not 100!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

Think Airtricity for me even though a BG customer already. If I take level payment plan and e bill its near eough the BG rate plus greener. Level payment plan should be no issue or ebill either. I'm a home owner so no deposit either.
    Has anyone heard of another entrant for the market on the way? I heard a rumour of it today. Seems a simple process to move to another one anyway with nothing to keep me tied in. Need to go home and read meter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

It's 10 - 14% lower than the ESB for the first year guaranteed (yes, even after the 10% drop in may, Bord Gais will still be that amount below ESB) then a minimum of 5% in years 2 and 3, and you only have to give 28 days notice at any time if you wanna switch back.

10% for switching, + 2% for being an existing gas customer and + 2% if you want to pay direct debit, you don't HAVE to pay DD, you can pay it in the post office if you want.

Anyone thinking about Airtricity? They are not semi state like ESB and Bord Gais, private company owned by an English company called Scottish and Southern, if you are considering it you should google Scottish and Southern first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Ok, connection and re-connection fees are myths, don't exist.

Bord Gais will always be competative, they only promise 10-14 for year one and a minimum of 5% for years 2 + 3 as ESB will be unfrozen at that point and BGE will need to see what ESB do with their prices first, forecasting. So, no, only the uber cynical would call this a catch in fairness.

Honestly, it's win-win, get savings and leave when you like......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gormless

Have Airtricity dropped their prices further?

Currently their General Units are 16.20 (14.27c ex vat) with DD and eBill, making them the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Airtricity are quoting up to 13% below ESB
    BGE are saying up to 14% if you are an existing gas customer, otherwise its up to 12%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

For those of us that already signed up to airtricity at 11%, can I assume that they won't pass on their price reduction (a further 2% - ie. 13% in total) without me ringing them up?

Might be time to mail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thanks to all in this thread so far, especially those who explained the setup and makeup of the ESB and what they can and cannot do.
    Switching this evening after doing research here and on their own site.
    Airtricity may be a better option this time next year but for now BG seems best.
    I have spoken to a lot of people (generally a bit older) who wouldnt dare think of leaving the ESB in case ESB shut down the supply to BG customers when it suited them. I tried explaining....they still not getting it,
    Thanks again,
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Might be time to mail them.

You might have more luck ringing them. I haven't received any response to 2 different queries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement