Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Class dan. Another boards single figure player on way.
    The tempo thing is interesting. To slow down is way harder than it sounds.

Most pros would try slow you down. I looked at speed as a problem for ages. Then a lad said I've worked with people with no speed and harder to get than not have it. He turned it into a positive. A top pro in the country.
    But about control and balance.

But exactly same . Lads with fast tempo on way back can get into poor positions and some in their rush to go end up ott.

But we'll done a transformation. Deserved too. Stay away from shiny stuff. But we all have a weak point. (Lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

The angle of the camera makes it difficult to see exactly how you are set up as it isn't directly behind you but the you look a little upright to me, it's a negligible amount and much improved from your initial swing in the video. What is you bad shot? From your address position I would guess it was either a block right or a swinging left hook but your angle of attack may counteract that so I'm going to guess your bad shot is a slice right with a pull thrown in every so often? I'm more asking out of interest than to provide advice or insight.

All in all a good consistent swing. You'll be off single figures in no time with what you've currently got though. I'd stick with what you have for the season and get a lesson once a month or so to tweak a few of the bad habits you'll no doubt pick up as time goes on. Always a good idea to get someone who has knowledge to give you a look over every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mickelson

set up a 150 yard target at driving range or practice area. use a 5 iron . half to 3/4 swings should be enough for this distance. i find this drill good for tempo. unreal swing for a 21 hc

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Terrific swing Dan - some serious progression and much gold in store for '15!

Here one suggestion to my untrained eye:

The right leg is straightening too much on the backswing - I suggest to try to keep this flexed.
    This will increase resistance, power and will help initiation of the downswing with the lower half of the body.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Spot on rollo - I should know as that's what I suffer from and my pro is constantly reminding me about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Keano wrote: »
    Spot on rollo - I should know as that's what I suffer from and my pro is constantly reminding me about it.

Yep, I noticed that myself at a second look, right leg completely straightens.

The two things I can see in Dan's swing, are two of the very things I have to work on...Squaring shoulders & maintaining flex in right knee (when I say the two things I have to work on, its actually 2 of the roughly 100 things I have to work on :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Class dan. Another boards single figure player on way.
    The tempo thing is interesting. To slow down is way harder than it sounds.

Most pros would try slow you down. I looked at speed as a problem for ages. Then a lad said I've worked with people with no speed and harder to get than not have it. He turned it into a positive. A top pro in the country.
    But about control and balance.

But exactly same . Lads with fast tempo on way back can get into poor positions and some in their rush to go end up ott.

But we'll done a transformation. Deserved too. Stay away from shiny stuff. But we all have a weak point. (Lol)

He usually only mentions it when I start getting bad contact, my guess is when I'm playing bad I might get even quicker :o

Thanks again

I try to stay away from shiny stuff, but when I cave I usually get a good deal :D (€150 710 CB 4-PW)
    The angle of the camera makes it difficult to see exactly how you are set up as it isn't directly behind you but the you look a little upright to me, it's a negligible amount and much improved from your initial swing in the video. What is you bad shot? From your address position I would guess it was either a block right or a swinging left hook but your angle of attack may counteract that so I'm going to guess your bad shot is a slice right with a pull thrown in every so often? I'm more asking out of interest than to provide advice or insight.

All in all a good consistent swing. You'll be off single figures in no time with what you've currently got though. I'd stick with what you have for the season and get a lesson once a month or so to tweak a few of the bad habits you'll no doubt pick up as time goes on. Always a good idea to get someone who has knowledge to give you a look over every now and then.

Probably a little more upright now as over the past few weeks I got very low so its something I'm currently working on, but going by the pro he thinks its a decent posture but I may have overdone it.

Bad shot at the minute (once centered strike) is a push with a straight flight or over draw. Driver (strike much less consistent) can be a low hook or a push slice
    mickelson wrote: »
    set up a 150 yard target at driving range or practice area. use a 5 iron . half to 3/4 swings should be enough for this distance. i find this drill good for tempo. unreal swing for a 21 hc

Thanks, I'll give it a try
    Terrific swing Dan - some serious progression and much gold in store for '15!

Here one suggestion to my untrained eye:

The right leg is straightening too much on the backswing - I suggest to try to keep this flexed.
    This will increase resistance, power and will help initiation of the downswing with the lower half of the body.

Thanks, a little more confident than the last time we played :)

The back leg is something the pro suggested aswell and something I forgot about actually, definitely give this some work
    Yep, I noticed that myself at a second look, right leg completely straightens.

The two things I can see in Dan's swing, are two of the very things I have to work on...Squaring shoulders & maintaining flex in right knee (when I say the two things I have to work on, its actually 2 of the roughly 100 things I have to work on :o )

Ha, its something similar to myself, I find myself re-reading notes from lessons as I tend to forget one or two things.

Played an open today aswell, I'll throw up a post in the how did you score

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Are you bad shots thin Dan?

The really bad shots are, the ones I tend to thin/fumble 30-100yds club depending. When that happens I guarantee the swing doesn't look like the one I posted though. When it happens and I think back on the shot I'd say it was OTT and open face and off the bottom heel. So not much chance of it getting very far. That shot is rare now thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    The really bad shots are, the ones I tend to thin/fumble 30-100yds club depending. When that happens I guarantee the swing doesn't look like the one I posted though. When it happens and I think back on the shot I'd say it was OTT and open face and off the bottom heel. So not much chance of it getting very far. That shot is rare now thank god
    just an opinion,My belief is that if you hit two balls on the golf course,one a 250 plus drive down the middle, and the second sliced or hooked the ball out of bounds.if both swings were recorded they would look identical.The better the swing gives a bigger margin for error.
    What i see in your swing
    A/lovely set up,athletic
    b/ locking up/straighting back leg in backswing, A major death move
    c/moving the club much too far inside in the takeaway,which is then causing a flat backswing and the club and your hands outside the shoulder at the top of the backswing.
    what you need is a "club outside the hands one piece takeaway".its not an easy thing to get but if you decide to get it with a decent short game it will knock 10 shots of your handicap
    p.s, if you do come over the top its because of a inside takeaway and the club outside the shoulder at the top.why..,the club has nowwhere else to go but over the top
    d/The only swing that the shaft should come near parallel to the ground at the top of the swing is the driver.a 7 iron shaft should not come near parallel to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

thinners are winners! :)

agusta wrote: »
    just an opinion,My belief is that if you hit two balls on the golf course,one a 250 plus drive down the middle, and the second sliced or hooked the ball out of bounds.if both swings were recorded they would look identical.The better the swing gives a bigger margin for error.
    What i see in your swing
    A/lovely set up,athletic
    b/ locking up/straighting back leg in backswing, A major death move
    c/moving the club much too far inside in the takeaway,which is then causing a flat backswing and the club and your hands outside the shoulder at the top of the backswing.
    what you need is a "club outside the hands one piece takeaway".its not an easy thing to get but if you decide to get it with a decent short game it will knock 10 shots of your handicap
    p.s, if you do come over the top its because of a inside takeaway and the club outside the shoulder at the top.why..,the club has nowwhere else to go but over the top
    d/The only swing that the shaft should come near parallel to the ground at the top of the swing is the driver.a 7 iron shaft should not come near parallel to the ground

I just don't see that in the video's I take, the change may be marginal but there's is a difference. Usually its when I stand over the ball and I don't "feel" the shot and then I try to alter it to suit the feeling. It's an error, I should just trust the shot but at times its nigh impossible. I agree with the better swing, less to go wrong though

Currently working on the locking rear leg, somedays it comes natural and others I forget to check and have to use a swing thought to correct.

Hard to tell for me at the angle (couldn't place the camera any better) but I was trying swing along my feet which were closed.

As for over the top, again its still something I (and the pro) are working on but I will mention it to him to see what he says.

The only thing he ever mentioned in that area was I tended to get over parallel at the top (and still do at times) which helped the OTT.

Appreciate the opinion,

Hope it doesn't come across as dismissive but I always take any advice I get to the pro just incase its either wrong or if it clashes with something else

Thanks for all the replies though, constructive advice and some ego boost, love it :D

not dismissive at all.It ok getting lessons from a professional but as raymond floyd once said "you are your own best teacher".I hope you enjoy the journey in reaching the holy grail.

not dismissive at all.It ok getting lessons from a professional but as raymond floyd once said "you are your own best teacher".I hope you enjoy the journey in reaching the holy grail.

What is the holy grail in golf auguta ? Do we ever get there ?

What is the holy grail in golf auguta ? Do we ever get there ?
    I dont think anyone ever quite gets there.but the fun/fustration is trying to get there.When i get there i will let you know..,im not that far away from it:), but i know its there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I dont think anyone ever quite gets there.but the fun/fustration is trying to get there.When i get there i will let you know..,im not that far away from it:), but i know its there

As I always say if I ever feel like I've reached it that's the day I'll stop playing. The fun is in the constantly trying to improve and get better.

Nice swing dan by the way. They all seemed like really solid strikes too.

To ask an obvious question though, where's it going wrong? Because with that swing you should not be going around a golf course in 21 over par. You should be able to break 80 if your short game is ok. Or are these just very recent changes you've made over the winter and you haven't got a chance to get cut yet?

As I always say if I ever feel like I've reached it that's the day I'll stop playing. The fun is in the constantly trying to improve and get better.

Nice swing dan by the way. They all seemed like really solid strikes too.

To ask an obvious question though, where's it going wrong? Because with that swing you should not be going around a golf course in 21 over par. You should be able to break 80 if your short game is ok. Or are these just very recent changes you've made over the winter and you haven't got a chance to get cut yet?

I feel the same way, it's what keeps you coming back to the course, just the same way you remember the one good shot from your bad round and think if I could just have more of them

Thanks, one of the hybrids sounded a little heavy when I got a little steep but the mat covered the strike :o

Basically I had no swing until about about July after a breakthrough lesson. From then until winter it was hit and miss as I was grooving a better swing. During comps I could pull some great shots then scratch 4 holes and blow up, which was all pressure I think.Also got a small putting lesson for free from the pro and now I look at the hole instead, putting stats are a massive improvement with 3 putt being very rare now compared to being very common. I did practice alot of the christmas between range time and alot of rounds.

My score crushing shots were driver OOB and Par 3 into the water giving me alot of penalty strokes on top

Yesterday was a good day (first comp since Corballis last year) that could have been better but walked off with 42 points with 1 scratch so I'm hoping its qualifying

nice score,jordan speith last year at the us masters hit alot of his putts inside 6 feet just looking at the hole.it certainly frees up the putting stroke

nice score,jordan speith last year at the us masters hit alot of his putts inside 6 feet just looking at the hole.it certainly frees up the putting stroke

My main problem was trying to correct the stroke. If i pulled it a little on the inside I'd try to square it etc. This way I don't see the putter,all I see is the ball, and on a good day I can "see" the ball go in. The downside is if your ball is just infront of a fringe its hard to get a good contact when your not looking so for those I usually look at the ball

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    My main problem was trying to correct the stroke. If i pulled it a little on the inside I'd try to square it etc. This way I don't see the putter,all I see is the ball, and on a good day I can "see" the ball go in. The downside is if your ball is just infront of a fringe its hard to get a good contact when your not looking so for those I usually look at the ball

But there are very very few pros using this method. Can't think of any that has won a major - I know we are not targeting majors , but is that not a sign of something.

• Advertisement

But there are very very few pros using this method. Can't think of any that has won a major - I know we are not targeting majors , but is that not a sign of something.

There's also very few using Jim Furyk's swing :D

Honestly didn't know Spieth was using it until someone said it to me but I can see him winning a major this year.

Aside from that, it changed my putting massively for the better and its stayed that way, surely that justifies keeping it until I feel its letting me down?

I averaged about 38 putts before hand, during a stroke comp I 4 putted TWICE! Now a 3 putt is rare and I fully believe its down to the change in teqnique

It is an interesting idea - and some teaching is target based.
    I've just not seen a pro do it - must watch SPieth

Very short here but. Interesting

Try it the next time on 2ft putts on the putting green. It's great for those nervy ones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure he only does it on the short putts Fix, anything under 5ft or something like that.

He looks at the ball on anything outside that range as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Pretty sure he only does it on the short putts Fix, anything under 5ft or something like that.

He looks at the ball on anything outside that range as far as I know
    The Shocking Results!

Long putts end up significantly closer to the hole when you look at the hole while making your stroke. On average, after all was said and done, on putts between 28 feet and 43 feet in length, the experimental group (those who looked at the hole) had slightly less than 28 inches remaining to the hole.

By comparison, on the same long putts, the control group (those who looked at the ball) left themselves nearly 37 inches remaining to the hole. That means the experimental group was 24 percent closer, 9 inches that could be the difference between a two-putt and a three-putt.

Looking at the hole may be more effective on short putts, too. On putts between three feet and eight feet, the experimental group left an average of just under 9 inches to the hole. On the same putts, the control group ended up with leaves that averaged 12.5 inches. Strictly speaking, that's not statistically significant, but those inches might be the difference between a routine tap-in and the occasional short miss.

The Unconventional Theory: You should look at the hole not the ball from the moment you set the club behind the ball until you complete your putting stroke.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/new-way-putt-look-hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Here's youtube links to my swing for driver and 7 iron that I took in range tonight. It was busy so angle of video isnt great. Took a small break for winter and nothing feels right now :( catching alot of balls fat of deck and diver can go anywhere although nothing too severe. Last time i played in summer i got cut from 15-11 (2 rounds of 42 and 43 points in same week). Everything felt so natural and easy. I think i might just be overthinking thinks now but would still appreciate any advice ye can give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Nice. Very nice I think.

Maybe just a bit rusty; -rhythm, flow etc, all those works that don't really convey any meaning!

But I would look at the right knee slipping in the backswing, it could be causing you to loose your base, so you're not getting the core through the ball. Driver swing comes in very early after the ball, probably as a result of the flex in the base.

but still nice..

More upright on the driver may help also??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great swing Shauna, you might not be feeling at present but it looks nice and easy. Think you're the first of the fairer species to post a swing...you've set the bar high :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Here's youtube links to my swing for driver and 7 iron that I took in range tonight.

Good swing and not much wrong.
    On the takeaway, the club and your right hip move at the same time. Only initiate the swing with your shoulders and arms and keep the lower half still.
    (Also, flex your knees a bit more at address, don't let the right knee straighten at the top - this should stop your right hip moving too much on the backswing).
    (Maybe you're standing a little far from the ball at address with your irons?)

I'd suggest some changes at setup. Push your hips a little to your left and get in a reverse K position.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZuvykYxmvs

Maybe the takeaway is little on the inside (can't really see from the angle).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCgS7cIu7sc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Tried this tonight on the putting mat and feck me if it wasn't working. Rolling in 8 footer after 8 footer :eek:. Interesting to give it a try in a practice round.

Advertisement