Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

First time posting here, any pointers appreciated.
    Started off 22 three years ago, down to 15 now. Would love to see 12 this year. A lot of work gone into swing, posture, alignment etc with the help of lessons.
    The last few months especially my ball striking has gotten a lot better, but still plagued by a big push shot and/or a low hook on my bad days. Something seems a bit wrong at the top of my swing, anyone have any drills or advice?

http://youtu.be/RGOlZ8wIvGQ

No offence but looking at that video in real time at that level of quality its unlikely you're going to get any useful feedback. If you want to know exactly what you're doing you'll have to start with a high quality high speed camera.

Go back to your coach and ask for help with using a camera to examine your practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

diomed wrote: »
    You are very quick imo starting down. There is no pause at the top of the backswing. My best drives were when I could get my hands high at the top of the backswing, and then start down slowly and apply speed from about hip height. That is what it felt like, but it was probably only a slight slowing down of the top part of the swing. Slowing down probably gives your body time to wind up better, and that gives a better release.
    You looked like you were slightly too far from the ball.

Thanks will try work on that this week, funny i used to have a slight pause at the top seems to have disappeared unknown to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

yipsnomore wrote: »
    No offence but looking at that video in real time at that level of quality its unlikely you're going to get any useful feedback. If you want to know exactly what you're doing you'll have to start with a high quality high speed camera.

Go back to your coach and ask for help with using a camera to examine your practice

Yes point taken, will be back for lessons soon was just thinking this might be a good place to see a few different quick opinions on how my swing has progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

First time posting here, any pointers appreciated.
    Started off 22 three years ago, down to 15 now. Would love to see 12 this year. A lot of work gone into swing, posture, alignment etc with the help of lessons.
    The last few months especially my ball striking has gotten a lot better, but still plagued by a big push shot and/or a low hook on my bad days. Something seems a bit wrong at the top of my swing, anyone have any drills or advice?

http://youtu.be/RGOlZ8wIvGQ

Good swing and set-up.
    Id suggest to turn your shoulders more on takeaway/backswing - it looks like its more your arms that initiate the backswing.
    Also, its looks like your arms initiate the downswing instead of your lower body. Try pushing off with your right foot at the start of the downswing.
    Look at keeping a level head - it looks like it moves up and down during the swing.
    Hold the finish on completing the swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Going to give this golf thing another go... very poor 2nd half of last year in terms of playing but started hitting the ball again last week after about 4 or 5 months off.

Have booked myself in for a series of lessons. Here's the video he took last week before we started. My points he has me working on at the moment are:
    1. Hip and shoulder alignment (both were way left of target) and
    2. Hip turn and weight transfer onto my right. This video wasn't too bad but whilst he said my upper body turn was fine, I wasn't replicating it in the lower... and that my weight was too much on the left foot throughout.

It might be a side effect of links golf, I was surprised to see how "punchy" my swing had become.

Plenty more to work on after those two points but he didn't go into detail apart from saying a little work on posture would be next.

Not sure if this link is going to work, 5 iron DTL.
    https://youtu.be/6pU6Dr3KsUE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Class position at top of swing.

It reminds me the finish a little of Shane Lowry's punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Class position at top of swing.

It reminds me the finish a little of Shane Lowry's punch.

One of the main differences being that he's trying to hit a punch and I'm not.... ;)
    Would hate to see what my punch looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

PARlance wrote: »
    Going to give this golf thing another go... very poor 2nd half of last year in terms of playing but started hitting the ball again last week after about 4 or 5 months off.

Have booked myself in for a series of lessons. Here's the video he took last week before we started. My points he has me working on at the moment are:
    1. Hip and shoulder alignment (both were way left of target) and
    2. Hip turn and weight transfer onto my right. This video wasn't too bad but whilst he said my upper body turn was fine, I wasn't replicating it in the lower... and that my weight was too much on the left foot throughout.

It might be a side effect of links golf, I was surprised to see how "punchy" my swing had become.

Plenty more to work on after those two points but he didn't go into detail apart from saying a little work on posture would be next.

Not sure if this link is going to work, 5 iron DTL.
    https://youtu.be/6pU6Dr3KsUE

Straightest shot I have seen on here yet. The time off hasn't hurt you anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Was at an industry day at Royal County Down on Thursday and they had the new Trackman 4 on some of the tee boxes.

This is a video of my tee shot at the 1st hole. Quite nerve racking kowing its been recorded and with 20 people watching. It was a cold windy morning with lots of layers on so club head speed was a little down but other than that it was not too bad of a hit.

My Trackman Video

J

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

For some reason I was expecting a pro tracer on the video :rolleyes: Swing looking tidy there J, maybe a wee bit on the outside on the way back, but that could just be the camera angle :)

• Advertisement

Was it a bit of a slow swing speed for you john ?

(Sorry looked at video before reading post and see it was a slow speed - Jesus , I nearly know your swing better than mine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

About time I put a swing up here and take some feedback. Two questions first?

Is a practice wiffle ball swing allowed?
    What's the easiest way to embed from your camera roll into the post?

Danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

the lawman wrote: »
    About time I put a swing up here and take some feedback. Two questions first?

Is a practice wiffle ball swing allowed?
    What's the easiest way to embed from your camera roll into the post?

Danke.
    Simplest way to embed is to upload the vid to YouTube then use to display it.

I'd imagine you could put any swing you want up, no one is going to say "that's not a legitimate swing video"

Cheers. First question tongue in cheek really. Don't have a YT account so will look at something later.

Can someone help/tell me how to embed a YouTube vid to a post?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Can someone help/tell me how to embed a YouTube vid to a post?

Thanks

[*youtube] [*/youtube]

Drop the Asterix & and just put the end of the youtube address in between the above. So by Mackers refs below, you would just put JQefDaSVbPc in between the above and you end up with:

Let me know what you think? Any pointers?

PS It's slowed down a hair!

No pointers here. (the lawman)

Fantastic looking on plane swing.

I know you have done an amazing amount of work to improve and being a Dad fair play to you. I've done the same - but could only dream of your shoulder turn and your position at top is as good as it gets.

Only tiny thing - it gets daft at this level. (and again - I'd love your swing)

But on your down swing hips arm all start at the same time ?

I wonder do you hit clubs a little short ?

Typically modern teaching is all from the lower body first. The seperation is what they are saying is key to distance.

But again a bit daft at that point - as you would see somethign similar with Luke Donald. And he has his own wine - stunning wife and fantastic bank balance.

Thanks Fix. Yeah I wouldn't be the longest hitter and you're dead right. We are working on trying to get lower working just that split second before top. That's the target over the winter amongst others.

Appreciate the words man.

• Advertisement

Thanks Fix. Yeah I wouldn't be the longest hitter and you're dead right. We are working on trying to get lower working just that split second before top. That's the target over the winter amongst others.

Appreciate the words man.

Yeah have to agree with Fix, I would be seriously struggling to find anything to point out in the swing.

As per your discussions, I watched this recently which would tie in to it

Macker1 wrote: »

I was left below right for first few years of playing golf Macker. I got to a decent enough level but to get lower I just had to change to orthodox. Best thing I did and wasn't even close to being as bad as I thought. Shoulder turn is harder to do with cack I found.

Have you thought of changing?

Macker1 wrote: »

I suppose the obvious one is the cack-handedness Macker. Given you're swinging a long time it would be a serious commitment to make a grip change though.

You've a short back swing which limits your power but you're a pretty straight driver in general in my experience & that shortened swing probably contributes to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

the lawman wrote:
    Have you thought of changing?

I have always played backhanded since my pitch & putt days which obviously followed onto my golf. I have tried a few times to hit a few shots with a conventional grip and the results were pretty ugly. I can shoot decent rounds from time to time and have had my fair share of success so I'd be hesitant to start from scratch. Thanks for input.

Macker - you know what I think about your grip - so there is no point in trying to change.

Funny enough you are so on plane it is amazing. When you are just prior to impact, it is perfect.

Only thing I never worked out - and maybe you can say what yo have been told - but why doesn't that grip work ?

I know you are a very accurate solid golfer - and one of the best unorthodox we have come across.

but I would have imagined you are very set up for a draw - but assumptions of golf are gone out the window with your grip, because it is like changing 3 variables at once, it is hard to understand that.

Your short game and putting are amazing - but I wonder is that a consequence of your big game, as in it is more important, as left below right seems how top pros go towards green - so we know nothing , what do you think ? why do people not play that way ?

But you look perfect at pocket just prior to impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

Not the greatest video - but any thoughts/recommendations more than welcome... never been a huge man for the practice but trying to get back into golf now after not playing much over last two years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKk8zYBqdQ

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Only because I do it myself but you lock your right knee very early on and as a result it doesn't allow a proper turn. You need to take a more athletic posture too as it almost looks like you are leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

Thanks Keano...

By athletic posture do you mean stand closer and more upright??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not necessarily closer but with a proper athletic position.

Look at Adam Scott

Adam-Scott.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah just copy what one of the best golfers and one of the most athletic swings in the world.....:rolleyes:

Or you could try a drill that will work for any body size, shape of athleticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJNWvSMNvE

Advertisement