Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Tried this tonight on the putting mat and feck me if it wasn't working. Rolling in 8 footer after 8 footer :eek:. Interesting to give it a try in a practice round.

A few I've played with have tried it, none have kept it for the long putts but some have kept it for the 5ft putts.

I know its sounds like b***ox but when I can "see" the ball dropping before a putt I don't miss. I had a round during the summer where if I got to the green and was inside 10ft everything dropped, playing partners were stunned as usually within 1ft it was hit and miss.

Haven't had a day like it since but my putting is so so much better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Here's youtube links to my swing for driver and 7 iron that I took in range tonight. It was busy so angle of video isnt great. Took a small break for winter and nothing feels right now :(catching alot of balls fat of deck and diver can go anywhere although nothing too severe. Last time i played in summer i got cut from 15-11 (2 rounds of 42 and 43 points in same week). Everything felt so natural and easy. I think i might just be overthinking thinks now but would still appreciate any advice ye can give me.

Great looking swing. Here's one non-technical thought I'll throw out which may help with the fat shots. Don't let your lower body move right on your back swing and make sure you move a small bit left on your downswing. The idea is simply to make the bottom of your swing arc be slightly in front (i.e. left) of the ball with your irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

How do we feel abut this one.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Wombatman wrote: »

I'm not great at analysing swings but that seems very upright on the way back and very very quick going through. Obviously works though but if I just saw that swing and was asked to guess what standard of player it belongs to I'd never guess it's the swing of a European Tour winner.

I'd imagine the dip on the downswing would hurt if you tried to replicate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Wombatman wrote: »

Welcome to boards Gary and congrats on your recent win, your swing looks great and you have excellent timing and rhythm, but be prepared for the all the "experts" on here, that won't make much of an allowance for you being a human, good luck in your future endeavours, allez les bleus.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Trying to get rid of a slice the last while, slightly improving. trackman lesson lately helped, had a very out to in swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Brendygg wrote: »
    Trying to get rid of a slice the last while, slightly improving. trackman lesson lately helped, had a very out to in swing.

For my completely uneducated 2 cents....like the takeaway, club possibly even slightly closed at parallel. Shaft seems to get slightly more upright as you start your downswing which would encourage out to in.

Mark Crossfield has done a lot of videos on this topic i.e. the shaft plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I would agree with alxmorgan on the swing plane.Also what i see is early extension on the downswing.This video will give you an idea of what it is,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRh387NpRw

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Had similar problems to you a few years ago, they are all connected.

First I'd try get the elbow closer to your torso at the top, think this image.butchharmon-001.jpg

You are very steep probably because of an aggressive upper body from the top, the golf club should be on your right forearm plane at second 13 in the video, but it's way higher, that shank and wipe territory, from experience lol.

Because you extend out to the ball or 'goat hump' with the hips that is even more shanksville.

A good move to use for EE and will help with the rest, is first move in the transition is to bump your arse back diagonally the way it' facing and sit into the left side a bit, then rotate the hips, not using the upper body, The elbows should be close together and the right elbow trying to go to your belly button.

The shaft will drop down on the forearm plane and at that stage it's a matter of rotating the arms and torso through, with the right shoulder 'behind the blow at impact and the left shoulder high.

Ideallly the left elbow is still slightly bent at impact and straightens out after. The club shaft matching the forearm at impact is a key to good ball strikers, from Hogan on up.
    Some videos for help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXoW93m2HcY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkLDx8qVwM

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, can see exactly what ye are saying, will try out these next session.

I guess the early extension is cause of low back stiffness after a round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

alxmorgan wrote: »
    For my completely uneducated 2 cents....like the takeaway, club possibly even slightly closed at parallel.

Why would it not be slightly closed at parallel? This is fine......

If it is parallel, that usually suggests some manipulation, e.g rolling the wrists

When you hinge, the leading edge will get back on plane

Nice swing by the way. I'm fighting an out to in for a long time now, you're not alone, biggest prob for amateur golfers I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Whyner wrote: »

If it is parallel, that usually suggests some manipulation, e.g rolling the wrists

Nice swing by the way. I'm fighting an out to in for a long time now, you're not alone, biggest prob for amateur golfers I reckon

Yes sorry not clear. Just making the point that it was slightly closed not that that was a bad thing. Like the takeaway basically

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Not much wrong at all. IMO, the takeaway is slightly outside and the downswing slightly over the top. I think its just that you're standing a little close to the ball.

Not much wrong at all. IMO, the takeaway is slightly outside and the downswing slightly over the top. I think its just that you're standing a little close to the ball.

That was a 6 iron, so maybe inch or 2 further back than normal? may give more space to get club inside on way down? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Whyner wrote: »

I would think your correct.the clubface can be at the same angle as the spine angle in this position and still be considered square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Not much at all wrong there, slightly over the top alright but I wouldn't think it would take too much to fix.

Just another thing, that's a mid iron you have is it? Is that swing a bit long for a mid-iron maybe? You look to be at or slightly past parallel, watch the pros hitting them, they're much shorter than that to increase control.

Just a couple of thoughts but as I said, it's pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

That was a 6 iron, so maybe inch or 2 further back than normal? may give more space to get club inside on way down? thanks

Just check your distance from the ball. It should be the same set-up routine for all clubs (although with the driver there should be a slight reach to the ball). What changes is the length of club. (sorry - this basic stuff that i'm sure you know).

These are some good vids for set-up:

http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/address-the-ball-at-the-perfect-distance-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5EsXBwDUEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9RucIdNJI

As a check, after getting into position, take a hand off the grip and letting the arm hang down, the hand should naturally fall in line with the grip.

Also, it also sorta looks like your weight is on the heels a bit - weight to be balanced through the centre of the feet - weight not biased toward heels or toes.

Just check your distance from the ball.
    As a check, after getting into position, take a hand off the grip and letting the arm hang down, the hand should naturally fall in line with the grip.

Also, it also sorta looks like your weight is on the heels a bit - weight to be balanced through the centre of the feet - weight not biased toward heels or toes.

Thanks, tried that during the weekend, def gave bit more room for club, was hitting them great! Went out sunday afternoon in fog , shot 76, 4 over, delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

A couple of posters here deserve to see my swing at least, most of all Parlance. Have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

A little video from my round today.

My standard shot used to be a fade/slice, worked a lot the last 18 months on drawing the ball, striking the ball much more consistently now. I welcome any pointers.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    A little video from my round today.

My standard shot used to be a fade/slice, worked a lot the last 18 months on drawing the ball, striking the ball much more consistently now. I welcome any pointers.

I don't know if there's much to say, how is it working for you? Perhaps your clubface is a little closed on the way back, you're a little steep into the ball (that mightn't be a bad thing), and your follow through seems to come across your body, but it looks like a solid swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nice swing too Fergus! Might be the camera angle but I guess you wouldn't draw it too often, looks a bit out to in but it may be the angle.

PARlance wrote: »
    Nice swing too Fergus! Might be the camera angle but I guess you wouldn't draw it too often, looks a bit out to in but it may be the angle.

I think its the camera angle, I got it stopped at parallel on the way down and looks to be inside, more a two plane swing?

@yaya - Hands might be a little close to the body? As in not below shoulders

Doesn't seem to be causing any issues my uneducated eyes can see though unless contact is an issue. I changed my stance after it slipped into a similar position a few weeks back, striking became alot better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My 9 year old daughter at the range saturday night. If only she had a bit of patience on a putting green i'd get her lessons!! She thinks the ball should go in the hole first time every time!!

https://youtu.be/vHuRScv7ldY

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes with the Jug coming get up Charlie.
    You should get those lessons off her fairly soon.

Class swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Video from my round today.

Still coming across the line at the top, need a few lessons to get that sorted. I'm not really wanting to change a whole lot as I am hitting the ball nicely at the minute.

It did find the right hand side of the fairway. If anyone has any pointers or tips please fire them at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes Yaya - with your swing and handicap and playing well - don't look for tips on here :)

Nice stuff - even at that speed , you can see how comfortable your balance and tempo is.

Looks like your feet are set up for a draw ? Sensible shot there. Are they ?

You over swing a bit (as I imagine you know) - but looks like a swing we would all like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good looking swing yaya. Take away is definitely on the inside & right hand looks very strong from what I can see. But if you're hitting it well I wouldn't be thinking of changing anything

• Advertisement

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Video from my round today.

Still coming across the line at the top, need a few lessons to get that sorted. I'm not really wanting to change a whole lot as I am hitting the ball nicely at the minute.

It did find the right hand side of the fairway. If anyone has any pointers or tips please fire them at me.

I don't know, if I give you tips will you invite me over to play on that lovely course?

If it ain't broke don't fix it, especially during the scoring season.

You are coming over the top a bit, your hands look a bit close to your body at impact, and you aren't releasing it fully.

I would imagine most of this would be fixed if you weren't coming over the top, but I'll let a professional confirm that rather than taking my word on it.

Advertisement