Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

benny79 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/fTn-XjhrRSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWFu4hrbd7g

Dont Think the above will work for seem reason but the first one is...

Very good looking swing Benny but I see you have a dose of the cursed shanks (something I go through periodically myself for weeks at a time, had an awful time of them earlier this year).
    Great posture with a good athletic stance but on the back swing you do drop your head a few inches which in turn will promote you to push your hands forward to prevent digging into the turf, that could be a contributor to the shanks. A good drill is to take a stance without a club facing a wall with your forehead touching the wall, on the back swing you shouldn't be headbutting said wall.

Otherwise another area to work on is that you're back swing is very much on the inside and a little flat, is your bad shot a big hook? It may sound counter intuitive especially when hitting shanks but try to take it back more on a straight line. A good drill for this is to take a stance with club in hand and arse against a wall, on your back swing you shouldn't be taking lumps of plaster out of said wall and destroying your club.
    Also hard to tell from the camera angle but you're right knee looks like it's swaying a little and coming out past your right foot, if swaying that in turn could lead you into sliding into the ball also contributing to the shanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fixed them there for you benny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

benny79 wrote: »
    Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong lads? only seems to be happen at the range of late but did happen once on coarse and now I am conscious of it when I take out my wedges!!!

Not sure you should worry about it too much. Happens to me all the time at the range but never (touch wood) on the course. I think a few others on here have said the same thing.

It could be because of early extension. As a remedy try to feel as if your left heel is glued to the ground throughout the swing and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

cheers lads, It is frustrating though when you pay 9 euro for a bucket of balls and you start shanking most of them!!! plus its starting to effect my game as I'm thinking about it on the course when I take out my wedges.

@Charlie Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Benny, try this move.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXoW93m2HcY

Called the Zipper Away Drill, you most likely need to stay into your chair a bit more, and need to flatten the swing a bit more on the downswing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Benny, try this move.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXoW93m2HcY

Called the Zipper Away Drill, you most likely need to stay into your chair a bit more, and need to flatten the swing a bit more on the downswing.

That's a new swing thought... Is my arse at half 10 or 25 past 9 :)
    I wouldn't be a fan of that or anything that makes you think too much in the swing but that's just my preference.

Benny,
    I had a dose of the sh**ks this summer for a round (and a half) :(:) but I didn't do anything apart from laugh it off. They were gone the next round.
    I wouldn't really advise it, but if you're going to work on getting rid of them, then I like the "do the opposite approach"... Deliberately try to hook a few balls left from the toe... Then go back and try a swing. That kinda drill works for me anyway.
    But as I said, I'd say you're better of to try to forget them and work on something else to add to your swing instead.

There are a lot of positives going on there, I don't think you're far off having a really good swing.

If I was to suggest one thing to work on I'd say it's getting a lot more wrist hinge into your swing.
    Would you feel like you lose a bit of distance vs guys of similar build etc?
    I ask that as it doesn't look like you're getting the most out of what you've got there... in the sense that you're doing an awful lot of things very well and at address you look like someone that's about to cream the ball :)
    But I think you might be losing a lot of power as it looks like there's very little hinge.

I used to bring my hands around my body too much and it's still my bad shot I think (when I let everything quicken up).

This is a great drill imo for getting out of that. I think it's a great drill full stop and if you do the simple things mentioned in it, you'll have a pretty good swing where not a lot can go wrong (it still will though ;))

Wrist hinge, lift arms up and then swing down. That's all I'm working on at the moment and it's working fairly well.

To practice this at the start, I built up my left arm by standing at address, club in left arm only and just practiced getting the club from address to vertical for 5-10mins each night.
    The feeling I have in the full swing is that that left arm does most the work on the upswing and then the right takes over on the downswing.

Anyway, enough waffle, Charlie might embed this video if he's around as I'm on the phone. If not I'll edit later.
    I think this is a cracking video, he almost makes it so simple that it seems like cheating!!!

http://youtu.be/kKHCGNT-hPw

Another video the goes into it in more detail

http://youtu.be/z5q88Rbn9sM

PARlance wrote: »
    That's a new swing thought... Is my arse at half 10 or 25 past 9 :)
    I wouldn't be a fan of that or anything that makes you think too much in the swing but that's just my

That's the beauty of Monte's drills, by and large they all aim to do the same thing, but in a very simple way from different thoughts.

This is not complicated because you just move your zipper back where it is pointed.

If you look at players like Trevino, Sneed, and Rory's transition, they do it before the downswing.

Another drill that works from the other perspective is to actively start the downswing by 'leading with the right elbow' then the body reacts to this and puts you in correct downswing positions.

No technical jargon or complicated thoughts .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

@ Parlance yea I had a lesson of my pro a couple of weeks ago when it started and he said I wasn't hinging my wrists at all! and to keep my arms close to my body especially my left arm.

I taught I was hinging in them videos but obviously not or at least not enough will try out them drills for sure.

cheers again lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Comments/pointers welcome!

Can somebody fix these please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

tonc76 wrote: »
    Comments/pointers welcome!

Can somebody fix these please?

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Comments and advise welcome

Me hitting a 7 iron

Tweaky wrote: »
    Comments and advise welcome

Me hitting a 7 iron

How do you power the club, with a right hand punch, or do you feel you use the pivot to pull the club through?

I only ask because your right elbow is in a 'punch' or hitter position, where the palm is thrust down directly to the ball, but you look to have a rotational swing, so it's a miss match.

Have a look at this video to see if this is the type of swing you have or want, and the importance of the elbow position at the top of the backswing and into impact.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkLDx8qVwM

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

How do you power the club, with a right hand punch, or do you feel you use the pivot to pull the club through?

I only ask because your right elbow is in a 'punch' or hitter position, where the palm is thrust down directly to the ball, but you look to have a rotational swing, so it's a miss match.

Have a look at this video to see if this is the type of swing you have or want, and the importance of the elbow position at the top of the backswing and into impact.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkLDx8qVwM

I feel that the pivot is pulling the club through. As a high handicapper I try not to overthink the swing and concentrate on getting a clean strike.

I will have a look at that video this evening- thanks for posting it up.

Tweaky wrote: »
    I feel that the pivot is pulling the club through. As a high handicapper I try not to overthink the swing and concentrate on getting a clean strike.

I will have a look at that video this evening- thanks for posting it up.

So the club is way to steep for what you want, imagine a waiter holding up a tray, that is the elbow position point towards the ground, the left hand being higher than the right.

From there you can try get the elbow on the hip in the downswing which flattens the plane, then the pivot should pull it all through, holding good angles into the ball.

This is how the ball is 'compressed' as people waffle on about.

This is the hardest thing to do in the game, the eternal struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

http://youtu.be/Mv4XnUzNvhc

Iron swing

Been working very hard on increasing my wrist hinge to gain some extra height in my ball flight. I've always been very flat and little to no wrist hinge. Suffered very badly from taking the club away too far to the inside hence the struggle with coming over the top. Starting to see an improvement.

http://youtu.be/UQ1TR6QQcrU

Driver swing - camera angle is slightly off. Not quite as closed stance as it looks. Fought a slight with my woods for the whole year and now starting to see a gentle draw.
    Any comments or pointers greatly appreciated because I've been lost for quite awhile and struggled all year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Grabbed some range time while the other half was busy for an hour, camera was nearly dead so I edited out all the running back and forth.

Still struggling a bit with the left shoulder being too far back (open) when I forget about it and no one is there to point it out.

Threw in a swing from 2013 aswell, can't find the one I had of the driver, its a hell of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ah jaysus dan.

Reset that target to 9 and - slow down. (lol)

Great looking stuff. Your tempo reminds me of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Nice swing there dan. Consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Looks good!
    Much better then the old one, able to hold the finish now.

With driver is your weight on your heels too much, you seem to fall back and your toes come up?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Looks good!
    Much better then the old one, able to hold the finish now.

With driver is your weight on your heels too much, you seem to fall back and your toes come up?

Not sure, find balance harder with the driver because I can't transfer my weight to the front ( or I try not to) which probably leaves me leaning backwards instead of behind the ball. In saying that I doubt I could lift my toes until after impact

Driver would be the most inconsistent, so the set up /swing must be changing all the time

Ah jaysus dan.

Reset that target to 9 and - slow down. (lol)

Great looking stuff. Your tempo reminds me of me.

:pac:

I'd say yours is a little faster but smoother :)

All joking aside - dan , you will be single figures in no time. (12 to 18 months?)
    Excellent athletic position - tempo so fast hard to get full plane- have you a tendency to cast a tiny bit ?

What is your flght dan - looks like a draw ? As approaching from inside.

Great stuff - same with me, I'd imagine any pro with try reduce your backswing tempo - but not easy to do and keep the timing of your swing.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    :pac:

I'd say yours is a little faster but smoother :)

You're the pound for pound champion Dan :)

That's some swing for a 21 HC Dan. Closer to 12 than 21. Nearly closer to 2.1 than 21 tbh.
    Fair play on all the work.

No more shafts for you!
    Put the money towards few lessons and you won't look back imo.

From my unqualified view.
    If you can sort out your big left toe you'll be flying. Keep it on the ground. Easy as that ;)

Here's a whacky vid that from Moe Norman that might just work, I think it focuses on your problem areas... Straightening left leg too soon, weight on heels.
    http://youtu.be/ACmKsOTh-yQ

But, lessons and you'll be flying imo.

PARlance,

How on earth could you post a video of Moe - then ask him to go to a lesson ?

Lol, the pro at the range I go to - runs out the same swing ideas , same clichés.

PARlance,

How on earth could you post a video of Moe - then ask him to go to a lesson ?

Lol, the pro at the range I go to - runs out the same swing ideas , same clichés.

:)
    I ask you, how could I not post a video that contains the line.
    "Purify better than that, I'll eat your hat"

I said go for lessons...watch this video...then I said go for lessons again.
    That absolves me from all sin ;)

:)
    I ask you, how could I not post a video that contains the line.
    "Purify better than that, I'll eat your hat"

It does go to show you - should you ever change your swing at all.

Should you use direct feedback and fix yourself , be it hands or timing or takeaway or grip?

Or, just carry and look the part.

Sorry - maybe off topic.

But valid for dan - what have you done so far dan to improve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great looking swing Dan, very athletic set up & major improvements compared to the old one. I wish I could hold a finish like that!!

Only thing I could see is that on some of the swings your shoulders seem to be open relative to your line, but a couple of the movements you make with them makes me think you're aware of that fact?

• Advertisement

Great looking swing Dan, very athletic set up & major improvements compared to the old one. I wish I could hold a finish like that!!

Only thing I could see is that on some of the swings your shoulders seem to be open relative to your line, but a couple of the movements you make with them makes me think you're aware of that fact?
    Thanks!

It's something I'm constantly working on, it was the major breakthrough for me back last summer. I just find it hard to square it without having someone telling me, I usually over or under compensate as I can "feel/see" it from my point of view
    Sorry - maybe off topic.

But valid for dan - what have you done so far dan to improve ?

A couple of lessons last year (irons + 1 on putting),lots of golf and range time.

I've tried to change alignment (see above). Grip has changed,takeaway, path,face angle at address and follow through. Some have been some tweaks of my own where grip/takeaway I'm following on from last years lessons.

You're the pound for pound champion Dan :)

That's some swing for a 21 HC Dan. Closer to 12 than 21. Nearly closer to 2.1 than 21 tbh.
    Fair play on all the work.

No more shafts for you!
    Put the money towards few lessons and you won't look back imo.

From my unqualified view.
    If you can sort out your big left toe you'll be flying. Keep it on the ground. Easy as that ;)

Here's a whacky vid that from Moe Norman that might just work, I think it focuses on your problem areas... Straightening left leg too soon, weight on heels.
    http://youtu.be/ACmKsOTh-yQ

But, lessons and you'll be flying imo.

Thanks, with the weather picking back up I'm getting more time in, keeps me busy :pac:

I'll take a look at that when I get home this evening :)

A couple more lessons this year are planned but I do like shiny stuff :o
    All joking aside - dan , you will be single figures in no time. (12 to 18 months?)
    Excellent athletic position - tempo so fast hard to get full plane- have you a tendency to cast a tiny bit ?

What is your flght dan - looks like a draw ? As approaching from inside.

Great stuff - same with me, I'd imagine any pro with try reduce your backswing tempo - but not easy to do and keep the timing of your swing.
    I don't think so, but I honestly couldn't tell you :confused: With the driver I sometimes go for that kind if feeling (clubhead in front of hands at impact) but its always a bit funky.

Draw yep. Generally start 10-15yds right of target and draw back. Miss would be a 1-2yd draw or a slight push and if I'm really going for it I might over draw it a bit but I can usually work with that, just sling it a bit.

That's one thing Pat was looking to change for me was temp ( 1
    2) as he said I can get past parallel and come over the top slightly. I'd like to slow it down a little aswell, it would give me a more stable feel I'd think

Advertisement