Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

It doesn't really sound like you are getting massive compression either, but then if you check you won't find my swing on this thread. Because it's ****e ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

As i said last time we played, very similar to where i was last year, almost a carbon copy at address. Like me too much hunched over the ball, very hard to get out of your own way for a proper release.

Not that i have got it right yet but this is what i have been working on, it might help (enter disclaimer here)

aaron.jpg

I dont think I get my head as far over the ball when I'm putting :o:D
    Yeah, you look quite hunched over in that swing. Also look quite shallow on the backswing. Couple of questions: what's your bad shot? Two, your waggle has a shut clubhead, are you doing that on purpose?

Good spots Fergus, yes, I've been told it's very shallow before by quite a few but it's never something that came up on lessons (could very well be that the pro had more important things to work on)
    Is a shallow swing a bad thing?

I think the shut clubhead must be some bad habit that I picked up when trying to eliminate a nasty slice last year.

Bad shot used to be massive slice.

Now it's changed to Push Right and the odd duck hook when I quicken things up

I shouldn't have posted these vids just before I hit the road for the west... won't be touching a club till Monday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

PARlance wrote: »
    I dont think I get my head as far over the ball when I'm putting :o:D

Good spots Fergus, yes, I've been told it's very shallow before by quite a few but it's never something that came up on lessons (could very well be that the pro had more important things to work on)
    Is a shallow swing a bad thing?

I think the shut clubhead must be some bad habit that I picked up when trying to eliminate a nasty slice last year.

Bad shot used to be massive slice.

Now it's changed to Push Right and the odd duck hook when I quicken things up

I shouldn't have posted these vids just before I hit the road for the west... won't be touching a club till Monday :o

Shallow swing is not that bad a thing, but is consistent with your bad shots. The club is getting stuck a little behind you on the downswing and you can't catch up with your legs, meaning you push your arms out a little to push the ball. Or you lose your timing a little and flip your hands over, leading to the duck hooks. So if the plane of the swing was more upright then you wouldn't have these problems as much.

Am I right in assuming that your slice was caused by an over the top swing and you've changed it recently, and perhaps you are over-compensating a little?

If you look at your second swing down the line, you can stop the video at the top of your swing and when the club is parallel on the downswing. At the top of your swing, your left arm is not in the same plane as your shoulders, you can barely see the tip of your shoulder over your arm. If you can change that to be a straight line then your swing won't be as shallow. Also on the downswing, the club is a little on the inside. If you could get the shaft of the club in a straight line with your feet alignment you won't have those problems either.

But your swing is good, and a lot better than most. A couple of changes and you'll be far more consistent. And being in Galway away from a club is great news, you can practice without thinking about playing. Spend ten minutes a day on your alignment, switching from your hunched over C-position to feeling like your back is in a reverse C-position, with you shoulders back and your lower back stretching out. Then swing back with a mirror behind you to make sure your arm is aligned with your shoulder plane.

When you get back to your clubs, practice your backswing to when it gets to parallel first. Make sure the clubhead is pointing to the sky and the shaft is in line with your feet. Complete your backswing and try to return to that position on the downswing.

2 final things:
    1. If a professional has told you this BS, or you are currently going to a professional, then follow their advice all of the time.
    2. Remember, if it feels strange, you're doing it right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

It wasn't raining so it was short weather today :) Some eejit

Managed to get a few videos of my SW, just wanted to see them for myself mainly :D
    For someone that couldn't take a divot last year, the thrill of seeing that sod fly up is something else.

As I said to a playing partner this week, I'm not really concerned where the ball goes, it's the divot I'm looking at ;)
    His reply... Ya, your divots remind me of your ball flight last year

I'll add a few thoughts. First the ball appears way back in your stance. Dunno if that is why you have the huge forward press at set up or it is intentional.

From my perspective, your weight will get trapped on your right side as you have to hang back to make contact with the ball. When you are shifting your weight correctly, the bottom of your swing is would be further forward. With a punch (or even chip) shot I wouldn't play the ball that far back.

Also your head should be moving up with your arms. Your still looking at the ground when the ball is gone and club is past hip height on the follow though. It looks painful ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'll add a few thoughts. First the ball appears way back in your stance. Dunno if that is why you have the huge forward press at set up or it is intentional.

From my perspective, your weight will get trapped on your right side as you have to hang back to make contact with the ball. When you are shifting your weight correctly, the bottom of your swing is would be further forward. With a punch (or even chip) shot I wouldn't play the ball that far back.

Also your head should be moving up with your arms. Your still looking at the ground when the ball is gone and club is past hip height on the follow though. It looks painful ;)

Personally I quite like his hand position at address, most pros will set up with their hands nicely ahead of the ball to promote bottoming out the club ahead of the ball, hence the ops nice divot. Like another poster the sound of the strike would indicate you are not compressing the ball fully but it could be down to the balls you are practising with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Hi guys, looking for some feedback on these swings. One video is down the line and the other is side on, both with pitching wedge off the deck. One is of me and the other of my cousin. My cousin is 15 and is the blonde haired lad. Im the other one (obviously).

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/5t8iCKHQtEI

http://youtu.be/T8zHXIR6-oY

gonko wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking for some feedback on these swings. One video is down the line and the other is side on, both with pitching wedge off the deck. One is of me and the other of my cousin. My cousin is 15 and is the blonde haired lad. Im the other one (obviously).

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I think you are in a good posture on the down-the-line swing, a little hunched over the ball and your knees need a little more flex but other than that it's a pretty athletic posture. Looking from the front, again you're in a good position. Get your hands in front of the ball, widen your stance a fraction and it looks from the camera angle that the ball is too far back in your stance, though that might just be camera. Make sure the ball is just ahead of centre in your stance.

A couple of things on your backswing. It's a little flat and you straighten your right knee. You need to keep your knee bent at the same angle as at the start of your swing. The golf swing is like a coil, you build up the tension on the backswing and release it through the ball. You are losing a lot of potential power through this.

If you pause your swing at the top of your backswing, like PARlance you can see your shoulder over your left arm. That should be one straight line. Other things to note about your backswing is that your left wrist is straight not cupped at the top, which is great. Your clubface is square at the top also. Both positives. You get a full shoulder turn but turn your hips too much which is a result of your right knee. Get that flexed and you'll create more of a coil like action.

On the downswing you are coming over the top. With your PW you might be getting a way with it but I expect with your driver you slice the ball. That's a result of the flat backswing. There is one thing that all professional golfers do and that is attack the ball on plane or slightly inside it, but never over the top. Looking at it again, it's not as bad as I first thought, but again you might get away with it with a PW. David Leadbetter has drills for bringing the club down correctly I think.

From the front you have one glaring problem. You cast the club too early. At the top of your swing your wrist angle is 90 degrees or so. Top players keep that wrist angle or even increase on the downswing. If you stop the second video on the 3 second mark when your hands are in front of your right hip, the club has been fully released by then and actually the flex of the club has gone the wrong way. If you can find that point of your swing and compare with with Sergio's here http://www.easypars.com/golf-swing-wrist-action-for-lag/ you see they are both totally opposite. With Sergio, when he makes contact the flex of the club has the potential to explode through the ball. On your swing, that potential had been lost long before it.

At impact your left arm is bent. Lee Westwood is the only professional golfer I know that does that. There is a reason why he is the only one: it's a bad move, he's just the exception to the rule. I think this might stem from you being too close to the ball at address, and that's how you get away with it. Also at impact your weight is too centred. It should be all on your left foot. You look like a powerful guy, but I expect you don't hit the ball as far you should.

Ok, I've gone into too much details with all of that so here are a few things I'd work on if I were you to begin with:
    1. Get your hands in front of the ball at address.
    2. Keep your right knee flexed on the backswing.
    3. Practice getting your hands leading the club into impact (a good drill for this is to practice swinging the club into something heavy, or stationary, without damaging the club. Something like a car tyre works for me. Get all of your weight on your left foot and your hands getting to the tyre before the club).

As I said to PARlance, if you are seeing a professional disregard this totally and follow their advice. And if it feels wrong, you're doing it right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

gonko wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/5t8iCKHQtEI

http://youtu.be/T8zHXIR6-oY

Just getting the vids up in screen for ya!

2 final things:
    1. If a professional has told you this BS, or you are currently going to a professional, then follow their advice all of the time.
    2. Remember, if it feels strange, you're doing it right :D

I'll be honest, I had a quick look through your post history as I had a feeling you might be my Pro, you're not, but you could easily have been :eek::D

Haven't progressed as much as I thought I had, as the points you make were all things we were working on a few months ago.
    But despite that, overall I think it's a hell of a lot better than it was last year.
    As ludicrous as it is I've been looking at this and trying to copy it... :o

I have been trying to reduce the swing to make it more compact, I used to overswing quiet a bit, I feel that there's a lot less to go wrong with it now so if I can get the angles better and a little steeper I'll be happy

Less youtube dreaming and more listening to what the pro was saying

Ya, I had an OTT swing and I think I've went to the other extreme in addressing this.

To the lads talking about the lack of a compression sound.... on yer bikes :D
    I'm a 17 handicapper not on the PGA tour (Says the lad who is trying to copy a pro's swing :o;) )... the only compression I ever hear at the range is the sound of hot air being released from peoples ears ;)

I'll be honest, I had a quick look through your post history as I had a feeling you might be my Pro, you're not, but you could easily have been :eek::D

Haven't progressed as much as I thought I had, as the points you make were all things we were working on a few months ago.
    But despite that, overall I think it's a hell of a lot better than it was last year.
    As ludicrous as it is I've been looking at this and trying to copy it... :o

I have been trying to reduce the swing to make it more compact, I used to overswing quiet a bit, I feel that there's a lot less to go wrong with it now so if I can get the angles better and a little steeper I'll be happy

Less youtube dreaming and more listening to what the pro was saying

Ya, I had an OTT swing and I think I've went to the other extreme in addressing this.

Oh I'm far from a being a pro, though if people feel like giving me money for my opinion I'll happily do it. I'll post a video of my swing soon and let you analyse the hell out of it as payback.

Don't worry about progress, you've got a swing that with a couple of tweaks will become a serious swing. And sure, we all over-compensate at times when we change our swing.

Are you fairly new to the game? You seem very enthusiastic about it, don't let results get in the way of your enthusiasm, they will take care of themselves.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm far from a being a pro, though if people feel like giving me money for my opinion I'll happily do it. I'll post a video of my swing soon and let you analyse the hell out of it as payback.

Don't worry about progress, you've got a swing that with a couple of tweaks will become a serious swing. And sure, we all over-compensate at times when we change our swing.

Are you fairly new to the game? You seem very enthusiastic about it, don't let results get in the way of your enthusiasm, they will take care of themselves.

Addicted rather than enthusiastic ;)
    Joined my first club just over a year ago but I was playing quite casually for maybe 2 years before that.

Will look forward to yours and cheers for the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What is it about this game? I played a lot last year and went from a 10 handicap to 5 in about 4 months. Played some good golf but towards the end of the summer I was terribly inconsistent. I have always played with a fade which was ok with short irons but anything above an 8 iron could go anywhere, particularly my driver.

So I decided to change my swing a small bit to try get myself playing a draw. Bought a new driver, a Titleist 913D3, have it set up for maximum draw. I moved to the UK last November so I'm not playing as much as I would like, just getting to the range once every week or 2, and maybe the odd round on a public course. Hoping to work a lot on my game and join a club next year.

Anyways thats enough rubbish talk.

6 IRON -

DRIVER -

If anyone has any pointers please feel free to let me know. I know at the top of the swing the club is aiming too far to the right but, any help on that will be appreciated.

And I was at a range in St. Helens so that should explain the rugby posts on the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It wasn't raining so it was short weather today :) Some eejit

Managed to get a few videos of my SW, just wanted to see them for myself mainly :D
    For someone that couldn't take a divot last year, the thrill of seeing that sod fly up is something else.

As I said to a playing partner this week, I'm not really concerned where the ball goes, it's the divot I'm looking at ;)
    His reply... Ya, your divots remind me of your ball flight last year

i ADORE the sound coming from the first video when you hit the ball.

ADORE!

YayaBanana wrote: »
    What is it about this game? I played a lot last year and went from a 10 handicap to 5 in about 4 months. Played some good golf but towards the end of the summer I was terribly inconsistent. I have always played with a fade which was ok with short irons but anything above an 8 iron could go anywhere, particularly my driver.

So I decided to change my swing a small bit to try get myself playing a draw. Bought a new driver, a Titleist 913D3, have it set up for maximum draw. I moved to the UK last November so I'm not playing as much as I would like, just getting to the range once every week or 2, and maybe the odd round on a public course. Hoping to work a lot on my game and join a club next year.

6 IRON -

DRIVER -

If anyone has any pointers please feel free to let me know. I know at the top of the swing the club is aiming too far to the right but, any help on that will be appreciated.

And I was at a range in St. Helens so that should explain the rugby posts on the range.

I know I'm addicted to this thread these past two days but I've got exams and anything to procrastinate. I'll add at the start of this that I'm a 14 handicap and you are 9 shots better than me, but I'd like to think what I'll say is reasonable.

3 things:
    1. Posture. Your back is too upright. Bend from the hips keeping your back straight. Currently you'll have too much weight on your heels and your spine angle is promoting the club going across the line at the top.

2. You seem to bring the club back a little on the inside though not as much as I thought at first viewing of your driver (though it might have to do with the camera angle too). Your arms go back on a nice plane, but the club is swinging around your body. Maybe concentrate on keeping the club in front of you on the backswing.

3. It looks like you are casting the club a bit too, especially on the 6 iron. Concentrate on leading the club into the ball. As I said to one of the other guys, practising hitting into a tyre lets you know where everything is at impact.

Those are my 3 cents, you get into a fantastic position on your downswing at 7 seconds on your driver, when the shaft dissects your arms and your follow through is classic.

Again, if a pro, or you, or another low handicap golfer says this is rubbish, follow their advice.

While everyone is at it figured I'd give Fergus a look at mine too :D

Just figured out there's a slo mo function on my phone so wanted to give it a try.

Light is not great & been a while since I've been swinging so prob forgotten most of what I've learned so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Just figured out there's a slo mo function on my phone so wanted to give it a try.

Light is not great & been a while since I've been swinging so prob forgotten most of what I've learned so far this year

Looks very similar to my swing, take away is a bit to the inside and you come slight over the top on the downswing. Been working hard on fixing my takeaway and have started striking the ball much better.

dines08 wrote: »
    Looks very similar to my swing, take away is a bit to the inside and you come slight over the top on the downswing. Been working hard on fixing my takeaway and have started striking the ball much better.

That's what the pro had me working on getting rid of alright, old habits sneaking back in

As Dines said, a little on the inside on the way back, leading to coming down on the outside on the way down. But it is only slightly, and you get the club in a good position. Very good posture at the start, lovely athletic stance.

Looking at your follow through, it's coming a little bit across you as a result of your slight over-the-top motion. But more than that, it seems like your losing a bit of power through it. The clubhead has passed your hands too early, I'd say you are a bit wristy through the hitting area. Your left arm folds in a tad early, absorbing some of your power instead of letting it go through the shot. Your club looks like its forced that extra bit to land on your shoulders by the finish rather than being stopped abruptly by your neck.

But listen, if you are going to a professional, listen to them. Disregard what somebody behind a laptop screen is saying, they are the experts. Perhaps ask your pro about the follow through, and their opinion on it, but please take their advice or thoughts over mine.

As Dines said, a little on the inside on the way back, leading to coming down on the outside on the way down. But it is only slightly, and you get the club in a good position. Very good posture at the start, lovely athletic stance.

Looking at your follow through, it's coming a little bit across you as a result of your slight over-the-top motion. But more than that, it seems like your losing a bit of power through it. The clubhead has passed your hands too early, I'd say you are a bit wristy through the hitting area. Your left arm folds in a tad early, absorbing some of your power instead of letting it go through the shot. Your club looks like its forced that extra bit to land on your shoulders by the finish rather than being stopped abruptly by your neck.

But listen, if you are going to a professional, listen to them. Disregard what somebody behind a laptop screen is saying, they are the experts. Perhaps ask your pro about the follow through, and their opinion on it, but please take their advice or thoughts over mine.

both spot on lads, the two things my pro has in line for me to work on are firstly work on a wider take away to make room to get on the inside on way back down & secondly that my finish is very low.

To repeat what I said earlier , Too much time away from the course results in bad habits creeping back in very quickly.

Aiming to get back to the pro early next week

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Good swing. As above, seek out a lesson from a pro, but heres a few armchair comments (in addition to the other comments others have made about swing path and the shoulders almost starting the downswing):

1. Posture is good but maybe the hips may not be in a neutral position and the spine is overarched. This could lead to some swing issues (and back aches).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQozLwk6eE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOw_v9CzwM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dNATWOCFI

2. I'd suggest keeping the spine angle consistent through impact to the finish. It looks like you're standing up a bit through the hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHNGzkxtBjw

• Advertisement

YayaBanana wrote: »

6 IRON -

DRIVER -

I'll take a little bit of your upright stance and you can have some of my Michelle Wie stance :D

That was the only thing that struck me Yaya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Might aswell post this, it was taken just so I could have a look in slow mo at my swing for myself so excuse the quality.

From this video and another from behind the main issues I'm working on are I'm coming slightly over the top but the bigger thing I'm looking to work on is keeping behind the ball at impact. In this video, and lately on the course, I have it tee'd fairly far forward so I get a chance to come up at it, I'd like to rectify that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

My swing is **** so just took a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

http://youtu.be/PJGRoK4BOzk

This is me today at leopardstown. Any constructive advice well received.... I have two shots that can be round killers, one is a horrible hit from the top that results in giant high pull to the right, the other is a nasty block to the left..

*edit, cheers mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This is me today at leopardstown. Any constructive advice well received.... I have two shots that can be round killers, one is a horrible hit from the top that results in giant high pull to the right, the other is a nasty block to the left..

*edit, cheers mod!

I'd say your hands are a bit high at the top,
    That can cause you to swing down with the hands from the top.
    Try get them a bit more behind you rather than above you.

My 2c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

*edit, cheers mod!

Basically what i see in your swing is that your backswing is way too steep and as a result on the downswing your body is readjusting by slowing down the body turn back and your trying to get the club on a flatter plane to get good contact on the ball.so i would say both your misses are caused by the same fault.in effect you have a steep downswing which caused by a takeaway fault at the start of the backswing. [the first 3 feet]
    your takeaway faults
    a/ immediate disconnection of right arm from body at the start of the swing
    b/ your hands
    move at least 4 inches towards the target line in the first 4 feet of your backswing.[this should not happen]
    c/ the club is moving way above the shaft plane and too steep in the first 3 feet of the swing
    One drill you could do is place a glove between your upper right arm and body and hit golf balls.the glove should not fall out in your backswing.this will give you "connection"
    This is a link to a youtube video which will give you an indication what a correct takeaway looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nq8eA1sSRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Cheers! Will give the glove tip a whirl tomorrow. Both comments so far speak of effectively the same / a similar problem, so that's something to work on, tks very much.

Cheers! Will give the glove tip a whirl tomorrow. Both comments so far speak of effectively the same / a similar problem, so that's something to work on, tks very much.[/QUOTE
    also work on stopping your hands moving towards the target line at the start of the swing.do abit of your own research on the takeaway.its not an easy fix.your takeaway will lead to better swing plane.The better the swing plane the better and more consistant the golfer.your swing looks very impressive too.you could get right good with abit of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXVI69kWFJQ

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

agusta wrote: »
    Basically what i see in your swing is that your backswing is way too steep and as a result on the downswing your body is readjusting by slowing down the body turn back and your trying to get the club on a flatter plane to get good contact on the ball.so i would say both your misses are caused by the same fault.in effect you have a steep downswing which caused by a takeaway fault at the start of the backswing. [the first 3 feet]
    your takeaway faults
    a/ immediate disconnection of right arm from body at the start of the swing
    b/ your hands
    move at least 4 inches towards the target line in the first 4 feet of your backswing.[this should not happen]
    c/ the club is moving way above the shaft plane and too steep in the first 3 feet of the swing
    One drill you could do is place a glove between your upper right arm and body and hit golf balls.the glove should not fall out in your backswing.this will give you "connection"
    This is a link to a youtube video which will give you an indication what a correct takeaway looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nq8eA1sSRQ

The glove should/will drop out towards the end of the backswing.
    You should only be trying to keep it there on 3/4 shots imo.
    Trying to keep it there for the whole backswing will lead to other issues.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    The glove should/will drop out towards the end of the backswing.
    You should only be trying to keep it there on 3/4 shots imo.
    Trying to keep it there for the whole backswing will lead to other issues.
    What other issues would it cause..,were talking about the right arm connection for a left handed golfer in the video!,jim mclean believes this connection is the most important connection in the golf swing at impact,so you cant disconnect it during the backswing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNkiTSxsJgM

ps this is just a drill,it gives you the feeling of what connection feels like during the golf swing.Its not something to be thinking about on the course in the heat of competition

Advertisement