Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Spencer Moon
    is rumoured to be coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

From the episode way back years ago, when Michelle's baby's dad (Den) was revealed, I was an avid regular watcher of Eastenders..right up until Ben was being abused by Stella. I really couldn't bear to watch it then 'cos it was dragged out so much..now and again I'm tempted back in for a while 'til something horrendous emerges and I switch off again.(I'm such a softie:o). I loved it back in the Kat and Alfie days....now I can't tune in to watch them 'cos of this storyline:(. There's no possible happy ending. Hasn't Ronnie had enough misery in her life?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Spencer Moon

I hope so:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Spencer Moon

That is just awful :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Because it's Eastenders!.. I'll admit that I've only started to watch it again recently, but it seems like just another storyline which they'll milk for as long as they can. Sure they could have just left it at the baby dying but that doesn't open up a lot of space for character development in the show. It's nothing new for EE to push the envelope when it comes to how storylines unravel. They didn't need to include the bit a few years ago about Kat being abused and impregnated by her uncle either, but in the end it opened up a whole new direction in which they could go with the characters involved.

It's just the sheer awfulness of it:(. Someone thinking their baby's dead when someone has stolen it and someone else who's baby has died, whose partner doesn't know and isn't getting the chance to hold his own child before buriel. Are Ronnie and Jack going to bond with the child then have to hand it over? Kat and Ronnie are both well liked characters who don't deserve it and they're going through a nightmare.

There are storylines where people are murdered and buried, people being blamed in the wrong for stuff and so on..annoying storylines like that..but for me this one is too much to bear:(.

It's like something you'd see on one of those clearly unrealistic American soaps...it'd be somewhat less disturbing on one of those. Like Olivia's baby storyline on Sunset Beach.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

man the scene with alfie trying to ring the corener was sad and same with biancas lot with kat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

You know, I turned it off today half way through because even know I feel that it is being dragged out!! Can anyone tell me when the truth comes out? Then I will tune in again!

There is talk that this baby swap storyline could go on for a year or two. I really hope it dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

God I really hope not!:eek: They will have no viewers left if that happens. It is totally depressing - even by EastEnders usual black standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ms.c

Shazanne wrote: »
    God I really hope not!:eek: They will have no viewers left if that happens. It is totally depressing - even by EastEnders usual black standards.

Digital Spy had an article today where the editor got in contact with EE and cleared up a few rumours

first of all
    Spencer Moon return
    has been denied, there are currently no plans for this to happen

also another rumour was about the length of the baby story - some people suggesting it will run for 1 - 2 years which i too read and other's claiming the reveal has already been filmed. What they said was that EE don't wish to give out too much information about when the reveal will be but that they can assure us that it has not yet been filmed and that the storyline will run for a while longer at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

If the storyline runs for 1-2 years I'm definatly not watching it anymore. I can deal with murders, fights etc but not this. It's such an awful storyline. But when Kat sees Ronnies baby will she not notice that it's hers?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Bertiebasher

If the storyline runs for 1-2 years I'm definatly not watching it anymore. I can deal with murders, fights etc but not this. It's such an awful storyline. But when Kat sees Ronnies baby will she not notice that it's hers?:confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/response/2011/01/110105_res_eastenders_cotdeath_jmf.shtml

"Over the coming weeks, we will see Ronnie and Kat each coming to terms with the loss of their babies, and explore how they re-build their lives in the wake of such tragedy. Viewers will see the situation resolve itself over the coming months."

Samantha Womack has quit the show over its
    heavily-criticised cot death storyline.

Sam, 38, was horrified by heartbreaking scenes in the BBC1 soap where
    her character Ronnie Branning lost her baby James - then swapped him
    for Kat Moon's newborn lad Tommy.
    Samantha decided to quit EastEnders after viewing its shock cot death
    storyline "as a mother first and an actress second", it emerged last
    night.
    Samantha, who has two children, gave producers a handwritten letter of
    resignation last November when she first received the script for the
    harrowing New Year's Eve episode.
    A fellow cast member said show chiefs offered more money and uplifting
    plots to persuade her to stay on as Ronnie Branning.
    But the star - famed as Samantha Janus before her 2009 marriage to
    actor Mark Womack - said she would stick to her principles and will
    leave the BBC1 soap in May.
    Channel bosses have been bombarded with nearly 3,500 complaints this
    week over the scenes, in which Ronnie lost her baby James.
    Viewers were upset by the use of a deeply sensitive issue for
    entertainment - and further outraged by a twist in the plot that saw
    Ronnie take Kat Moon's baby and replace it in the cot with her dead
    child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Eastenders writers just seem to take enjoyment of inflicting the most pain possible on it's characters... At times you would think they would be better off writing the new in the Saw movie series... The storyline is gratuitously callous and heartless..

In other news, I still hate new Ben. I wish they would just write him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Eastenders writers just seem to take enjoyment of inflicting the most pain possible on it's characters... At times you would think they would be better off writing the new in the Saw movie series... The storyline is gratuitously callous and heartless..

In other news, I still hate new Ben. I wish they would just write him out.

You would imagine he would have came out hard but not a whole different person :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

It says alot about a soap if a leading actress/actor is prepared to quit over a storyline. Assuming this is true and not just a publicity stunt on the part of the actress/writers/producers/BBC or whoever, it might be wise for them to re-write the story and end it asap. Dragging it out at this point will lose viewers, which won't do the BBC/RTE any favours when it comes to attracting advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

caseyann wrote: »
    You would imagine he would have came out hard but not a whole different person :eek:

Can you get a lobotomy under the NHS?

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0106/eastenders.html
    Actress Samantha Womack's agent has denied reports that her upcoming departure from 'EastEnders' is linked to her character Ronnie Branning's highly controversial current storyline involving a cot death.

So her agent has just completely denied that story on the previous page..

Worried BBC bosses are axing the EastEnders baby-swap storyline earlier than planned in a bid to stop the backlash against the soap.
    Show execs held an emergency meeting yesterday to discuss how to end the controversy after receiving 6,000 complaints since New Year.
    Plans to continue the story until Christmas have been scrapped and Kat, played by Jessie Wallace, will be reunited with baby Tommy by the spring.
    Samantha Womack, whose character Ronnie stole the tot after her own child’s cot death, has furiously denied she is quitting the soap because of the controversial plot.
    The mum-of-two, who admits the scenes were the most “horrific four weeks of her life”, said she was already leaving the soap.
    She told a pal: “It’s ridiculous to claim I quit because of the storyline. I told the producers I wanted to leave and the plot was created to help with my departure.
    “I’ve had a wonderful time on the soap and made some brilliant friends. It was just time for me to move on. It was nothing to do with the storyline.”
    EastEnders insiders confirmed that the plot was devised as a way for Ronnie to leave.
    But since the complaints, they said several scenes have already been cut and they are now trying to write a happy ending.
    A show source said: “We have listened to what people have said and taken on board the complaints and are now rescheduling things and working on the final scripts.
    “It is important that we listen to viewers, because it is their soap after all.
    “Filming will be done in the next few weeks and the storyline will end this spring, possibly by April.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...#ixzz1AKpN1Bpp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Worried BBC bosses are axing the EastEnders baby-swap storyline earlier than planned in a bid to stop the backlash against the soap.
    Show execs held an emergency meeting yesterday to discuss how to end the controversy after receiving 6,000 complaints since New Year.
    Plans to continue the story until Christmas have been scrapped and Kat, played by Jessie Wallace, will be reunited with baby Tommy by the spring.
    Samantha Womack, whose character Ronnie stole the tot after her own child’s cot death, has furiously denied she is quitting the soap because of the controversial plot.
    The mum-of-two, who admits the scenes were the most “horrific four weeks of her life”, said she was already leaving the soap.
    She told a pal: “It’s ridiculous to claim I quit because of the storyline. I told the producers I wanted to leave and the plot was created to help with my departure.
    “I’ve had a wonderful time on the soap and made some brilliant friends. It was just time for me to move on. It was nothing to do with the storyline.”
    EastEnders insiders confirmed that the plot was devised as a way for Ronnie to leave.
    But since the complaints, they said several scenes have already been cut and they are now trying to write a happy ending.
    A show source said: “We have listened to what people have said and taken on board the complaints and are now rescheduling things and working on the final scripts.
    “It is important that we listen to viewers, because it is their soap after all.
    “Filming will be done in the next few weeks and the storyline will end this spring, possibly by April.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...#ixzz1AKpN1Bpp

At last,we have enough sadness and horror everyday in the news and real life about time they did a happy ending.

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    At last,we have enough sadness and horror everyday in the news and real life about time they did a happy ending.

How is there suppose to be a happy ending for all involved :confused: Ronnie's real son died so unless it is going to be all a dream (like Dallas) or that wasnt Ronnie's real baby that died i.e. switched at the hospital.

Yes Kat getting her baby back is the one happy spot in this badly scripted storyline

Just wondering why people are so outraged by this storyline. I mean if it was Tracey Barlow that had done this in Coronation Street I dont think anybody would have been upset (or suprised). I think it's because it's one of the more likable characters, who has already lost a baby...

I'm getting sick of Shane Ritchie's very one dimensional "sad mode"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I have to disagree with you Jonathan - I think if this storyline was in any soap, people would still be appalled.

I've switched it off, haven't watched since the swap took place, and won't be watching until it's over.

Dealing with the subject of cot death in itself, should have been enough for this storyline. For them to include the baby-swap part of it was atrocious. Remember, the baby-swap story isn't even that - one of the babies has died, so there will be no happy ending here, by swapping babys back to their parents, whatsoever.

Ronnie will have missed her own childs funeral...kat won't have bonded properly with her baby and who knows how long it will take her to settle with her 'real' child. The list is endless and I won't be watching it again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fittle sums up what i was thinking. A cot death is dramatic enough storyline but to throw in a dead babywap is just too much.

They did a baby swap in Emmerdale a couple of years ago, not like its an original story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I still hate new Ben. I wish they would just write him out.

Me too. Can't stand new Lauren either. :mad:

BTW, where is Lucy gone??

Just wondering why people are so outraged by this storyline. I mean if it was Tracey Barlow that had done this in Coronation Street I dont think anybody would have been upset (or suprised). I think it's because it's one of the more likable characters, who has already lost a baby...

I'm getting sick of Shane Ritchie's very one dimensional "sad mode"...

I think Shane and Jessie are playing blinders as Alfie and Kat imo but I do think Alfie is trying to get rid of Tommy's stuff way too soon. My heart went out to Kat tonight she was so close to her baby and didnt know it :(

I cant wait for Ben and Shirley to find out that Phil is also getting jiggy jiggy with Auntie Glenda :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Didn't they do something like it in Corrie a few years ago, when Sarah had Bethany, and that other girl (Kevin's then girlfriend, I think) had a baby at the same time, her baby died, and she stole Bethany (not a swap as such, so) and then killed herself by running in front of a van.

I really think the only way this storyline will end is through Ronnie's suicide.
    This really doesn't call for a "black taxi" ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

sudzs wrote: »
    BTW, where is Lucy gone??

She's gone to stay with her grandmother in Blackpool, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

baldbear wrote: »
    Fittle sums up what i was thinking. A cot death is dramatic enough storyline but to throw in a dead babywap is just too much.

They did a baby swap in Emmerdale a couple of years ago, not like its an original story.

So I guess every affair, murder, revelation and twist in soapland is viewed as 'old hat' too? So what if it happened in another tv-show? I seriously don't get what all the outrage is about. They're not dressing the storyline up as something which is heart warming for people. It's nothing more than a part of a never-ending story in which many people are depicted .. just because it may ring true for a more vocally outraged part of society does not mean that it's something which shouldn't be touched upon in the makey-uppy world of tv drama.

fair enough, I mean say that the acting is crap, or that the tv-show grinds on you at this stage but don't direct it all on a solitary storyline. If things are going to be considered too sacred to mimic then it's not this one thing on tv that I'd be worrying about, but the future of freedom of artistic expression in all future tv-shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 red93

I understand why people are upset about the baby storyline- but at the end of the day its Eastenders.The reason its so popular is because of the over dramatic storylines!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement