Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum v Soccer Forum - Requiem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I was hoping someone else would say something, but this really isn't on. We ended up being short players and having to start late, and then playing most of the game with no subs. And this is after turning away people who definitely would of shown up. At least Jay's excuse is somewhat understandable. If I was in charge I wouldn't let either of you play again.

should of accepted a certain turncoat :pac:

I was hoping someone else would say something, but this really isn't on. We ended up being short players and having to start late, and then playing most of the game with no subs. And this is after turning away people who definitely would of shown up. At least Jay's excuse is somewhat understandable. If I was in charge I wouldn't let either of you play again.

FWIW I totally respect Jay's reason for not making it but not mrDerek's.

Jay did a lot to try and get us sorted with a pitch and was good about it at all stages so I think we should cut him some slack but MrDerek can forget it if I am ever in charge of another one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

FWIW I totally respect Jay's reason for not making it but not mrDerek's.

Jay did a lot to try and get us sorted with a pitch and was good about it at all stages so I think we should cut him some slack but MrDerek can forget it if I am ever in charge of another one of these.

I'd agree with this

"no randoms" might be the best rule all round. It's one thing having people who know players on the team, in fact they seem to be the most reliable, but having people who just saw "soccer match this Sunday" on the front page of boards kind of defeats the purpose of the game. Especially when they don't turn up!

It was probably also awkward because Steve replaced Keith at the last minute, people like Jay might have had Keith's number but not Steve's. Fair play to Steve for taking over btw, don't think that was really mentioned.

RoundTower wrote: »
    It was probably also awkward because Steve replaced Keith at the last minute, people like Jay might have had Keith's number but not Steve's. Fair play to Steve for taking over btw, don't think that was really mentioned.

Sorry about that btw.

My parents were coming home from Scotland after the Grand National win over there and wanted me to pick them up from the airport at 2. They were supposed to come back the night before but as you can imagine things changed when the horse won. Sorry for letting people down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

In Jays defence also guys, as I ran slightly late (ten past 1 i think) i was on the phone to Jay up until that moment. He was raging that the babysitter was running late and she hadnt expected to arrive until 1, meaning he would be with us at 1.30. When this didnt happen, and she was even later, it was too late for him to travel over.

I had also mentioned this to Steve that he was doing his best to get there. Completely understandable imo.

Also think that having a few subs would have made the game more enjoyable for everyone. Shame it wasnt to be, but with the late pitch change, and a few people un-able to make it, our thin squad was always going to be pretty stretched!

Thanks for those who did organise it anyways, and for those who made the trip to play it.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that btw.

My parents were coming home from Scotland after the Grand National win over there and wanted me to pick them up from the airport at 2. They were supposed to come back the night before but as you can imagine things changed when the horse won. Sorry for letting people down.

nah no one is complaining about you

though by the sound of it your parents could have come home in a fleet of limos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good game lads,It was some day for a game of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

fair enough i wont ask to play another game. the situation wasnt in my control far beyond it in fact.im not going to delve into what happened as its quite serious but good luck in any future games against other sub forums teams.

mrDerek wrote: »
    fair enough i wont ask to play another game. the situation wasnt in my control far beyond it in fact.im not going to delve into what happened as its quite serious but good luck in any future games against other sub forums teams.

Sorry mate but I hope you can see things from our side. Nobody knows ya and you let us down. If we can't rely on people then we have to take that into account. Unlucky on not making the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

well i was dying to play.had everything sorted ironed and packed up the night before until this crap happened.anyway sorry for letting you lot down.should hav left my phone turned off.tho that would have not done her any good.lets just say violent ex boyfriends are not fun to deal with.
    anyway good luck in the future with your poker and soccer ventures :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

having lost to the soccer forum you should take all the help ya can get!!!!

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!!!!

gg though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

ditpoker wrote: »
    having lost to the soccer forum you should take all the help ya can get!!!!

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!!!!

gg though! :p

should of been a draw and penalties with stick keepers was the way to go as we discussed jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

Daragh I take it you dont have kids.

For the record I text Donal early on the Sunday to get Keiths number to explain that I might be a bit late or be cutting it fine but i would be there. Donal did nt have the number. I then spoke to Donal about 12.30 looking for directions etc etc. I dont feel the need to explain a babysitting issue regarding this but suffice to say I understand your feelings on this.

However, short of putting kid in car and asking the subs to take care of baby I could not go. End of story. Believe me I understand your frustrations and again apologies to Keith for missing this..

I love a game of ball and was disappointed to miss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Lads, to be honest you are coming across like a pack of 12 year old girls....Was the idea of this not to have a bit of a social element, play a bit of ball, and just generally chillax a bit.....

I missed the game on Sunday (due to work commitments), but have played two of the other games.....First game was enjoyable, second game not so much as peoples were taking themselves far too seriously.

I enjoy a game of football as much as the next person (admittedly with very limited abilities), but tbh I won't bother putting my name down for the next one if this is the way the team is going to treat newbies (referring to the way mrDerek is being spoken to on here).

My two cents.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Jayminator wrote: »

For the record I text Donal early on the Sunday to get Keiths number to explain that I might be a bit late or be cutting it fine but i would be there. Donal did nt have the number. I then spoke to Donal about 12.30 looking for directions etc etc. I dont feel the need to explain a babysitting issue regarding this but suffice to say I understand your feelings on this.

However, short of putting kid in car and asking the subs to take care of baby I could not go. End of story. Believe me I understand your frustrations and again apologies to Keith for missing this..

I love a game of ball and was disappointed to miss this.

I dont think Daragh was annoyed by you being missing so much as the other two. Donal told me on the day of the match you'd be late, that wasnt a problem.

I think Reganio and Mr.Derek could have posted here the morning of the game to say they'd be missing they had the time. You on the other hand had it sorted until last minute that can't be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

carfax wrote: »
    Lads, to be honest you are coming across like a pack of 12 year old girls....Was the idea of this not to have a bit of a social element, play a bit of ball, and just generally chillax a bit.....

I missed the game on Sunday (due to work commitments), but have played two of the other games.....First game was enjoyable, second game not so much as peoples were taking themselves far too seriously.

I enjoy a game of football as much as the next person (admittedly with very limited abilities), but tbh I won't bother putting my name down for the next one if this is the way the team is going to treat newbies (referring to the way mrDerek is being spoken to on here).

My two cents.

Stephen.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

What does that have to with anything

Err what?

All I was doing was pointing out that its bad form not to show up. It shows a total lack of respect for the other people involved, esp those organising it. If you had a legit reason then fair enough, but over the last few recent games quite a few people have failed to turn up and something needed to be said.

What does that have to with anything

Well sometimes best laid plans get screwed over when organising stuff around kids is involved. And if you had kids I'm sure you would appreciate this.

Err what?

I was making the point that I had intended on playing the game and had to withdraw at late notice

All I was doing was pointing out that its bad form not to show up. It shows a total lack of respect for the other people involved, esp those organising it. If you had a legit reason then fair enough, but over the last few recent games quite a few people have failed to turn up and something needed to be said.

You are berating me here for something that was unavoidable. Maybe next time I ll leave the little fella a pack of crisps and a bottle of coke and lock him in the house so I can make the game. As I said in my post I understand your frustrations but for you to suggest that I should not play any future games is OTT.
    Your suggestion of these players never being involved again serves no purpose whatsoever and will only lead to more players pulling out. Up until the day before this game I was asking about a pitch and a venue. I made an effort in the organising of this match to get us a decent pitch with decent facilities with a bar and a restaurant for a bit of crack afterwards so maybe like your good self I will have nothing to do with any organising of this in the future and just turn up. On the morning of the game I was trying to get Keiths phone number (which I dont have btw) to tell him I might not get there until about 1pm so I did make an attempt.

ffs Keith himself who organised the whole thing had to withdraw at the last minute. Lighten up will ya. The original aim of this was a bit of fun.

I remember posting in an earlier thread that if this became too serious the entire thing would fall flat on its face hence your lack of players on Sunday. And to suggest excluding players like myself who failed to turn up due to family commitments only makes me want to say fk it I wont bother.

yeah I don't blame Jay for it at all, think he did what he could and you are being way too harsh on him

Are you trying to wind me up Jay? The reason we didn't have enough players on Sunday was not because we are taking it too seriously, but because the players that we did have didn't bother showing up! Ricky's friend Fintan was already coming until Steve told Ricky not to bring him. If we had of needed players I could of easily gotten more. We had enough players.

And you seem to want credit for not managing to organise "a decent pitch with decent facilities with a bar and a restaurantent (sic) venue". Well done, i'm sure I wouldn't of been able to manage that!

If you actually read what I wrote i haven't been berating you, from the sounds of it you had no choice and made an effort to get in contact and let people know. Obv not ideal but far better than some others. Each recent post in this thread has been off the wall though (IMO anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

The reason we didn't have enough players on Sunday was not because we are taking it too seriously

Jay never actually said or alluded to this point
    If you actually read what I wrote

Once again some irony from HJ :rolleyes:

It really is pointless trying to debate with HJ IMO

HJ wrote: »
    The reason we didn't have enough players on Sunday was not because we are taking it too seriously
    I remember posting in an earlier thread that if this became too serious the entire thing would fall flat on its face hence your lack of players on Sunday.
    YULETIRED wrote: »
    Jay never actually said or alluded to this point

The only explanation I can think of is that you don't know what the word hence means

The only explanation I can think of is that you don't know what the word hence means

LOL but I do know what 'have' means eg; we would Have had enough players as opposed to we would of had enough players.

I'm looking up hence as we speak but the page keeps opening at irony

big smile big smile.

Are you really attacking my grammar to distract attention from your previous post?

Are you really attacking my grammar to distract attention from your previous post?

not attacking just fecking with someone who was a bit rude to a guy who couldn't make a yellow pack game of football due to circumstances beyond his control. His point about players not turning up was an aside really and well you know it. Carfax said it all IMO

someones got to tease you as the chimpos seem to fear you for some strange reason. Now apologise to Jay or I will taunt you a seconde tima

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I think there's a couple of people going OTT here. The lads that didnt turn up left the rest of you in a tough spot and obviously feeling let down and under prepared.

I originally thought that this was meant to be the lads from the poker forum having a bit of laugh, playing a game of ball and having a few drinks afterwards. You won a few games and want to improve, nothing wrong with that..but Jay couldnt make it because of family commitments and seemed to do everything in his power to get to the game on time.

I'm sure that HJ, Chopper, Semibluff etc could all bring players that are probably better than half in the team, but does that not defeat the purpose of a boards poker team? I've never heard of or seen mrDerek or Regiano (i actually thought this was a nickname for cardshark when i read it first). Saying these players wont be considered for future games is fine, but including Jay is bad.

Kayroo/Theresa should have made sure that all the players had their phone numbers incase someone couldnt make it, and they should have had a couple of players on standby willing to step in and fill the void.

I've wanted to play in one of these for a while. I played at a decent level for a few years, but my fitness is lacking and i might be a bit rusty. I wanted to play when i thought it was a bit of laugh and i wouldnt get outed on boards for not doing my best, or making the odd mistake. Some of the match reports are like school reports and i'd be cringing if i was some of the players.

lol

edit, not @ Flushdraws post

Flushdraw, I see where you are coming from, but I really think that you and Jay, (& any others who think similarly) should come down to one of the games before you give an opinion on whether we are taking it too seriously or not. Surely we have a better idea of what we want, and if it needs changing?

Personally I love the games we've had, I see no reason to change anything. I would have much less interest in playing if it wasn't competitive. As for the match reports, I've had some criticism about the way I play, it doesn't bother me. I'm glad of it as it forces me to think and hopefully improve.

Are you trying to wind me up Jay? The reason we didn't have enough players on Sunday was not because we are taking it too seriously, but because the players that we did have didn't bother showing up! Ricky's friend Fintan was already coming until Steve told Ricky not to bring him. If we had of needed players I could of easily gotten more. We had enough players.

And you seem to want credit for not managing to organise "a decent pitch with decent facilities with a bar and a restaurantent (sic) venue". Well done, i'm sure I wouldn't of been able to manage that!

If you actually read what I wrote i haven't been berating you, from the sounds of it you had no choice and made an effort to get in contact and let people know. Obv not ideal but far better than some others. Each recent post in this thread has been off the wall though (IMO anyway!)

Hi Daragh,
    I have no intention in the world of even bothering to try wind you up. I thought it was a bit harsh and ott of you to suggest that if you were in charge you would not allow me or other players ever play again.

I am not seeking any credit at all about ''trying'' to organise a venue. I was merely pointing out the fact that I was very keen to be involved in this and used it as an example of my commitment to playing. Then my plans changed.. That is all.

I ve read your posts Daragh & IMO posting a thread about certain players never being allowed play again of which I was included was berating me. The fun / social aspect of this has been lost or maybe was never there.

Anyway I have better things to be doing with my time than debating anything with someone as opinionated as your good self over a game of friendly footy.. And if you see this than more than a game of friendly footy then thats fine too.

• Advertisement

Time to take a step back lads.

These games were organised to be a bit of fun and a social day out for some of the lads on the forum. Most of the guys who play football will know that if there isn't a degree of competitiveness about it then it makes the experience very frustrating because you may be trying your best and others are not. It is never pleasant, in a 5-a-side with some mates in the park or an 11-a-side in a competitive league, to see the ball go into your own goal. It is never nice to lose.

However, the fun aspect of these games came from us all being able to get together and play the match, have the banter, take the mick out of Trippie and R4AD for combining really well on the pitch when they'd barely speak to each other etc. Poker is a pretty solitary endeavour at the end of the day (football cliché ftw) and getting to actually play a team sport with some of the guys here has been a lot of fun for me.

As for how I, and Hectorjelly (though I do not presume to speak for him), have remarked about Reganio and mrDerek. They came onto this thread as posters I did not know or recognise, who did not contribute anywhere else in this forum and who simply asked for a game. I had no problems with that and I made it clear, both in this thread and via PM, that regular posters and people who had played before would get preference in the team selection. They both agreed that was fine. On the day neither turned up and, for whatever reason that may be, it really did not speak well for them in future. FWIW, on later consideration, I would not be against them coming to games in future but they would have to realise they would be on the bottom of the pecking order given what had happened last week. That's just the way of things.

I take full responsibility for not passing on my number to the whole team. It was a mistake on my part and one I should not have allowed happen. I want to thank Theresa for taking over the team the night before the game. I have explained why I couldn't be there and I think the guys who know me here will know I am not the sort of person to commit to something and then pull out. It was an unusual circumstance and I look forward to playing in the next one of these, assuming we can all drop our handbags and get back to what it was meant to be; a fun, social day out.

As I have said before, I think Jay is totally without blame here. Kids come first, we all know it and sometimes people let you down (we all know that too) and in this case it wasn't Jay who let us down, it was Jay's babysitter. Cannot be helped, I hope to get the chance to play centre-half with you at some stage in the future Jay, I am sure it would be a laugh.

Advertisement