Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Opening: Boards.ie Photography exhibition 21 March at 7.30pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

CabanSail wrote: »
    Thanks everyone who turned up last night. It was good to meet a lot of people from here.

A Big Thanks to DeVore & Darragh for providing the drinks.

Calina has really put a lot into this & it was nice to finally have the show up. I think a lot of people now realise that a good quality print is a different thing to an image on a screen.

We now need three volunteers to do Gallery Duty next Saturday.

11 - 1 (needs to get keys to open up & get things ready)

1 - 3 (takes over from person 1 & hand over to person 3)

3 - 5 (puts things away & locks up)

We have a sign we put on the street to advertise that the Gallery is open. While the gallery is open there is a book to keep a tally of visitors who attend during the shift. you also try to answer any questions about the exhibition & if there are questions about DCC then refer them to the website or advise them to come to a Tuesday night meeting.

So ..... who is game to give it a go next Saturday?

The 1-3 or 3-5 or both suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well that was an excellent night last night. Sorry I headed off early but myself and the missus had a pretty full day yesterday.

A major shout out to Calina, Cabansail, the DCC and to Boards for the opportunity to showcase some of the pictures from us here on Boards.

I felt humbled to have one of my shots included with the brilliant work that decked the walls of the DCC Gallery space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Did anyone get around to doing any pics yet??? Keen to see how it all looked..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Some pictures are here. Those from pub are ISO 1600.
    1955335CAF4D41EB8AAFD74657F8E2AC-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Just read your sig...where you going and for good? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just read your sig...where you going and for good? :(

I was quite desperate to get out of the recent company. And I have got an offer from a very good company. And also closer to my education, unfortunately abroad. Location is not public information so far , but I will try to stay online and keep you informed.

I will not be able to collect my picture from exhibition, however there was demand for the picture and I sold it yesterday.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thonda, you could be on the moon and so long as you have an internet connection you are part of this community so in a sense, you arent going anywhere :)

Dont be a stranger!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

looks like the opening was a huge success - well done everyone - pity i couldn't attend

thanks again

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Some great shots in there last night guys and girls.
    Well done.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

My summary:

A big sorry as I missed the speach, ahem > thanks to the excitement of the Rugerby, but when I did arrive I'm glad to have bumped into all of ye. Me and Mrs. Morrisseeee had a great night especially after Dakar 'dragged' us 'un-willingly' into the pub accross the road !! he he.
    Great credit to everyone who participated in the organisation/participation of this.
    It really is something else to see pictures printed and framed, the monitor comes a very distant 2nd to printing !!, kudos to stcstc for this also. All the pictures are fabulous.
    I didn't get talking to everyone, (I'm really a shy country boy), but after meeting Mr & Mrs 'waldo', darragh, AR, Mr & Mrs Dakar, calina, pete et al, I'm really glad I trekked all the way up to the big smoke.
    Note: I have a picture of Dakar & AR in their 'boyish antics', highest bidder wins. :eek:
    PS. I didn't realise AR could talk soooo much ! (only skittin AR), & the doner kebab on the way home was bleedin deadly ! :p

• Advertisement

Note: I have a picture of Dakar & AR in their 'boyish antics', highest bidder wins. :eek:
    PS. I didn't realise AR could talk soooo much ! (only skittin AR), & the doner kebab on the way home was bleedin deadly ! :p

#1 I can only guess :p
    #2 I assumed I got a kebab on my own? :rolleyes:
    Def hazy from late on, can't even remember if I got a Taxi home for the 15 minute walk home journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Thanks to everyone involved for a great evening (including the Irish Rugby team:D)

The pictures look fantastic in real life (thanks Steve). It's such a pleasure to get to admire prints of images that you've become familiar with on a crappy laptop screen in their full glory.

And to get 3 awards in AR's personal prize-giving, what can I say, I'm truly humbled and flattered!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Lads, was this a once off on Saturday or is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

@breadmonkey the exhibition is open every saturday until the 2nd May I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Lads, was this a once off on Saturday or is it still open?

Gallery is open 11am - 5pm each Saturday. This exhibition will be hung until 2nd May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I can do 3-5, and I have keys so I can lock up :) Well, the front door anyway..

It was a grand night indeed!! Darren and I were hopping around the pub like eejits for the match and then a lovely hour or two at the gallery. I'm sorry I had to leave early.

Oh and lol @AR Nun indeed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

sineadw wrote: »
    I'm sorry I had to leave early.

Never :rolleyes:;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

trishw78 wrote: »
    @breadmonkey the exhibition is open every saturday until the 2nd May I think

Weird, I was unable to thank your post. SO thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Covey wrote: »
    Never :rolleyes:;):pac:

Laughing! I'll have you know I was the height of sobriety!

Your a female version of me. :rolleyes: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

It was a very enjoyable night and great to see so many familiar photos in print. Steve did an amazing job with them. I will just offer my thanks to everyone involved.

I agree with Morrisseeee, AR does talk too much :p(just kidding) but he does love his cider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

So ....

Next Saturday we have

11am - 1pm ????
    1pm - 3pm Valentia
    3pm - 5pm Sineadw

Who want to honour of attending the Gallery for it's very first session?

I could do it....
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

i've already given a few dates to Calina in a PM of when I am available. Unfortunately I'm not available the next two Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Will there be any chance of us unable to see the exhibition via a website or something...considering the euro/sterling relationship right now, Dublin aint a place im going in a hurry!

I could do it....
    :o

Could ..... yes .... but Would you?

Chance for someone with a 5D mark 11 to show off their skills :D:D

Could ..... yes .... but Would you?

He'd cost a small fortune in Cider though :pac:

Eirebear wrote: »
    Will there be any chance of us unable to see the exhibition via a website or something...considering the euro/sterling relationship right now, Dublin aint a place im going in a hurry!

I guess the selected images could be put up on the Flickr Page that was originally set up for this project. I am assuming that nobody who submitted would object to that & Calina has access.

The only thing I will add is to echo what a lot of people said at the opening. There is a HUGE difference between seeing an image on a screen & looking at a Framed Print. I heard quite a few people comment on this, saying that images they are familiar with online had a lot more impact when printed.

So while there is no harm in an online gallery it is definitely worth seeing the real thing if you have the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I guess the selected images could be put up on the Flickr Page that was originally set up for this project. I am assuming that nobody who submitted would object to that & Calina has access.

The only thing I will add is to echo what a lot of people said at the opening. There is a HUGE difference between seeing an image on a screen & looking at a Framed Print. I heard quite a few people comment on this, saying that images they are familiar with online had a lot more impact when printed.

So while there is no harm in an online gallery it is definitely worth seeing the real thing if you have the chance.

Believe me, i'd love to see the real thing but its just not gonna be feasible for me to get over before the exhibition ends.

Obviously there is a massive difference between actually being there and seeing the finished product, but a flickr page or something would have to do me unfortunately...after the exhibition ends of course.

Advertisement