Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That watch is pure class and elegance. I know collectors and the rich and the nutjobs go mad about PP's chronos and complications(they're usually meh for me TBH), but for my money their "basic" calatrava type models are sublime.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

How much is the Patek worth? I've never seen one in the flesh, always drooling over them in magazines.

Hard to say exactly with vintage watches like this as condition can vary greatly. Some prices from auction of similar models are listed here. Ones that sold in 2014 went for around €10k - €16k. One with the same style of dial as mine sold in 2010 for €8915.
    893bet wrote: »
    Impressive work. Did you have to send it back to PP?
    Yes and the repair had a PP price tag too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I suspect not a lot of change out of 1k! But totally worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My boss wears a SE Patek, with looks similar the one shown. His has a clear back to show the movement. I know it was a high 5-figure watch. He took it off for me to look at recently and it felt lovely in the hand. Very nice heft and balance. Very refined & elegant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Patek. I think I have found true love.

Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I bought this today for €139, One cannot complain for a new chronograph Seiko for that price. Its a lovely piece.

[IMG][/img]IMG_20150223_142217.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20150223_141930.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20150223_134139733_HDR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

For ages I've wanted a watch with a green dial, no specific reason but I like green and green dials seem to be unusual and more rare than the regular colour dials and even Orange. I've also been on the lookout for a watch in a bronze case though I wasn't looking for them to be in the same watch. I think we all have things (or at least I do) that we don't have examples of yet and we keep an eye out for.

I came across this make, I think thanks to a WUS tweet showing a link to someone discussing some watches and another model from this maker was there. I'd never heard of the maker, and went to his web site and saw the watch I am about show. I placed my order in the middle (ish) of December after a few emails back and forth with the owner. He was expecting it to be posted in early January, I then got added to a mailing list (with my permission) where he kept us up to date. There were a few delays though I must say for the most part the owner was very quick to get back to us and let us know. You don't feel quite so bad about delays if you're not kept in the dark. Anyway, it finally shipped on the 18th and coming all the way from Canada I think it did quite well to turn up just before noon here in Ireland today and here it is.

It's a Cobra De Calibre bronze green dial

ieX1DHSm.jpg

MZnJL67m.jpg

RrOpmVnm.jpg

pnTsIgcm.jpg

As a nice little bonus there was also a pair of cufflinks in the package

76orcIxm.jpg

I made the pics a little smaller so it didn't take up too much room on your screen :D

Impressions, the dial looks lovely, that's really just what I was thinking of when I thought I wanted a green dial. I'm not too sure about the internal bezel, it's operated using the extra crown and I think if it was up to me I probably wouldn't have bothered though the two crowns does give it a look that is very different from anything else I own. It's not too big a deal, but I'm not to sure about the strap. The picture on the website has a much darker strap than what arrived, I'm not sure if there was a problem there or what but while it feels excellent quality I'm probably going to put a different, darker coloured strap on it though I might have to do a bit of digging to find one with a bronze clasp.

All in all very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Interesting watch ...from what one can see on the small pictures :D

As for the buckle ...very few straps have the buckle permanently fixed, most have a springbar and can be changed quite easily.
    Have a careful poke around with a knife or other suitable instrument between strap and buckle and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

peasant wrote: »
    Interesting watch ...from what one can see on the small pictures :D

I was trying to be nice :p
    peasant wrote: »
    As for the buckle ...very few straps have the buckle permanently fixed, most have a springbar and can be changed quite easily.
    Have a careful poke around with a knife or other suitable instrument between strap and buckle and see for yourself.

I think you're right, though I'll email the owner just to check there isn't any small taper or anything on it that would stop it fitting onto a regular strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Not quite a watch pic but I'll throw it up for larff! :pac:
    Nixie clock under my monitor.
    A88EB35DB2374BF6A35BB1659B27B6B3-0000338914-0003732778-01200L-397E5C87C9E24282936F33AE13DD00DC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Second watch now. :)
    Was looking for something cheap to wear on site so put a AU$20 bid on this and won.
    I know its nothing special, but for a score you cant complain. Don't think ill wear it on site now, quite like it!

IMAG0186.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

20 quid Aussie? You jammy feck. :D Nice one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

hal9000 wrote: »
    Not quite a watch pic but I'll throw it up for larff! :pac:
    Nixie clock under my monitor.
    Nixies are very cool. Have oft been tempted. I'd love to see someone build a nixie clock using an actual atomic clock on a chip as the timekeeper. That would be so cool. Sadly said chip is 1500 quid IIRC, but one can dream. There are a bunch of Israeli dudes who reckon they'll have similar for significantly less so maybe... Plus the Israeli one could fit into a wristwatch easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Wibbs wrote: »
    20 quid Aussie? You jammy feck. :D Nice one.

Yep $20 Aussie. Didn't think I'd win, so happy day's! Not in bad condition either.

Following on from this post way back and another of the Girard Perregaux early quartz, only this time in a different and so far only example from this small maker Consul. All restored up, with replacement crown and now running like a champ, on a black lizard strap(denim blue might make it more casual?). The crystal needs a little more of the wet and dry paper, brasso, prayers and elbow grease, but it's getting there. The case came up well with the very gentlest of buffing(plated gold so have to be very careful).
    hrjyfn.jpg

Interesting for me is the different dial design approach to represent "modern", "computer" and "technology" in the new quartz watches and how public perceptions have changed. My GP of a few pages back went with a "Tron" style silicon chip design and Consul went with an IBM computer mainframe punchcard design. Both would have had resonance in the public mind back in the early 70's, but today the punchcard is all but forgotten.

The eagle eyed among ye may have spotted she's missing the 12 o'clock "pip", but believe it or not I have a donor Favre dial that has the same markers so... But that's for another day and a large glass of port to steady the nerves, or more likely given so far how "unique" this is I'll farm out work like that when funds allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

25i9dzd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

My newest Soviet purchase has arrived. A 80's Paketa this time.

BlackDialRaketa03.jpg

Oh, and here it is in the 88 catalogue :cool:
    Catalog-of-Russian-Watches-Raketa-for-1988-7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You guys are posting up some really nice stuff.

My new wrist cannon :D

2Hfxuyc.jpg

Wearing this today

14kvg5u.jpg

All the way from 1985(cost a thousand punts when new :eek:). Now to find my Miami Vice suit and roll up the sleeves... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

mad muffin wrote: »
    You guys are posting up some really nice stuff.

My new wrist cannon :D

Been so tempted by one of these recently. Do you mind me asking, getat or parnis?

• Advertisement

Been so tempted by one of these recently. Do you mind me asking, getat or parnis?

This ones Parnis. I was looking at Getat and he wasn't much more expensive for something more custom. But reading about some of the trials and tribulations and it being (or was) Chinese New Year I decided to go the eBay route this time.

£79.99 plus £11 for delivery. Slightly more than direct from Parnis but took only a few days and no customs to worry about.

For the price it's all there. Strap a bit stiff but comfortable, and it's got the correct type of buckle. Lume on the numbers some what weak but I'm ok with that. Lume on the hands is strong so it's not totally useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

All the way from 1985(cost a thousand punts when new ). Now to find my Miami Vice suit and roll up the sleeves...

Lovely watch Wibbs - very cool. And looks great on the Gorilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

16664323765_f5ed15548f.jpg

New purchase came today, Triwa Lansen. Really liking it :):) Now I have a swedish watch AND car!

Just in from boardsie m4r10!!

I think Eoin will recognise this one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

893bet wrote: »
    Just in from boardsie m4r10!!

I think Eoin will recognise this one!

Still miss that one! Hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

mad muffin wrote: »
    This ones Parnis. I was looking at Getat and he wasn't much more expensive for something more custom. But reading about some of the trials and tribulations and it being (or was) Chinese New Year I decided to go the eBay route this time.

£79.99 plus £11 for delivery. Slightly more than direct from Parnis but took only a few days and no customs to worry about.

For the price it's all there. Strap a bit stiff but comfortable, and it's got the correct type of buckle. Lume on the numbers some what weak but I'm ok with that. Lume on the hands is strong so it's not totally useless.

Thanks for the reply muffin. Reading getat reviews would have me slightly worries about going with him alright. But the extra custom.options do have me leaning that way.

Eoin wrote: »
    Still miss that one! Hope you enjoy it.

Don't worry. The chances of you having a second opportunity to catch it are more than 100%! Give it 8 weeks and unless I am in love......

Bad timing for it as my rubber strap came for my PO and I put it on and it is sublime making wrist competition high.

Thanks for the reply muffin. Reading getat reviews would have me slightly worries about going with him alright. But the extra custom.options do have me leaning that way.

There is also davidsen. His offerings are supposed to me top notch but you also pay more for it, of course.

My rubber strap for my PO finally came this week. Not an omega one but for the price I am very very happy with the fit and quality!

I spent aprox 2 hours trying to remove the bracelet from the watch and could only get one side off. Have 3 stab marks on my hands though!

Had to go to jewellers for a finish to get the other side off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I'm ok at removing the bracelet thanks to a nice small screwdriver, but gotta watch the scratches.

Looks well though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement