Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options
1316317318319320322»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Wearing the Stowa today. Don't wear it enough. It's a beautiful watch. The strap is growing on me to. It's a little short but I guess who needs the extra length.

Beautiful watch. I'm getting very tempted by Stowa, they seems such great value. Is that the 36.5 or 39mm out of interest? I'm contemplating either a Stowa Antea or Nomos Tangente and the sizing is scaring the bejesus out of me. The Marine you have is actually what initially turned me eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

redlead wrote: »
    Beautiful watch. I'm getting very tempted by Stowa, they seems such great value. Is that the 36.5 or 39mm out of interest? I'm contemplating either a Stowa Antea or Nomos Tangente and the sizing is scaring the bejesus out of me. The Marine you have is actually what initially turned me eye.

Hmm this is the larger Marine which has the unitas movement. I think its 41mm. This would be their new version of it

https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+Original+roman+white.htm

I also had a 40mm Marine handwind with Roman numerals which I sold on to a forum member who sold onto someone else here. It was noticeably slimmer watch.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+Klassik+40+white+roman.htm

The do a 'used and checked' sale from time to time - i picked up a Fleiger from them which was essentially brand new at half price which Cyclingtourist bought from me (i passed on for what i paid). The are quality watches for sure.

The 41 has a 22mm strap width and feels more substantial on the wrist than the 40mm. I think the Unitas is just a chunkier movement. In terms of resale value id caution slightly against the Stowa if you intend selling on in Ireland. There' isnt a huge appetite for them on adverts etc.. i sold my 40mm for nearly half price in the end. Should have held onto it really.

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hmm this is the larger Marine which has the unitas movement. I think its 41mm. This would be their new version of it

I also had a 40mm Marine handwind with Roman numerals which I sold on to a forum member who sold onto someone else here. It was noticeably slimmer watch.

The do a 'used and checked' sale from time to time - i picked up a Fleiger from them which was essentially brand new at half price which Cyclingtourist bought from me (i passed on for what i paid). The are quality watches for sure.

The 41 has a 22mm strap width and feels more substantial on the wrist than the 40mm. I think the Unitas is just a chunkier movement. In terms of resale value id caution slightly against the Stowa if you intend selling on in Ireland. There' isnt a huge appetite for them on adverts etc.. i sold my 40mm for nearly half price in the end. Should have held onto it really.

Cheers,
    Mick
    I'm the incredibly happy owner of Mick's Marine 40 in Roman/handwound. An absolutely joy to wind daily. Rock solid ETA 2804 and very nice decoration at the price point. The finish and regulation of the movement was far above my expectation at the price point. I haven't let the power reserve deplete/reset the time since I got in early September. It's gained about 50 seconds at most.

Thanks again for passing on a great deal lads. If I ever flip I'll be passing it on to someone here too if possible.

There's a good enough market for them on Chrono24/eBay, hard to get a decent used example.

The 40mm is as noted a fair bit slimmer than the 41mm, with my wrist sitting at around 6.75 I'd love to try the 36.5mm with Peseux. Had my heart set on a Marine Original 41mm but took a gamble on the 40mm. In reflection I'm not sure I'd be happy with the sizing having owned the Klassik for a couple of months almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Stowacism is what we all need.

529911.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Following pictures yesterday from others, I decided to give my Duro a wear today.

IMG-20201020-104108.jpg

(picture taken at an angle that hides a scratch on the crystal and on the bezel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Following pictures yesterday from others, I decided to give my Duro a wear today.

After I posted yesterday I took a look at the price of them for sale, and it seems to be well over €100 everywhere now (£142+£10 delivery on Amazon.co.uk). As a percentage increase that is bigger than Rolex!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That's some price increase. I think I got mine for about 70

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    After I posted yesterday I took a look at the price of them for sale, and it seems to be well over €100 everywhere now (£142+£10 delivery on Amazon.co.uk). As a percentage increase that is bigger than Rolex!

It's a cool watch and YT watch channels highlighting the fact that Bill Gates has worn it helps push up the price.
    If a fictional character like James Bond works for Omega then why not BG for the Casio Duro?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This arrived today. Some people say this model wears on the small side (it's 41mm), not sure if I disagree or if I am just getting used to smaller watches these days. Build feels as good as expected, and the strap is very comfortable.

50508424038_d51cdcfc09_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hitemfrank wrote: »

(picture taken at an angle that hides a scratch on the crystal and on the bezel)

This angle makes it appear very "seamastery" in a way the front on shot earlier doesn't.

• Advertisement

. In terms of resale value id caution slightly against the Stowa if you intend selling on in Ireland. There' isnt a huge appetite for them on adverts etc.. i sold my 40mm for nearly half price in the end. Should have held onto it really.

Cheers,
    Mick

The above actually swung it for me. I just pulled the trigger on a Nomos Tangente 38 ref 164. Got a good deal on what looks to be a minty fresh year old one, box and papers etc. Will throw up a pic when I get it.

I love hearing stories about watches doing the rounds on the forum. Isnt there a seasmaster or a speedie thats passed through several hands here I think? Hopefully in a few years that will be Fitz's beautiful new dark side of the moon at generous discounts ;-)

@ cyclingtourist I love that Flieger. I've decided that you must even sleep in cycle clothing haha

Eoin wrote: »
    This arrived today. Some people say this model wears on the small side (it's 41mm), not sure if I disagree or if I am just getting used to smaller watches these days. Build feels as good as expected, and the strap ]

Size looks perfect to me. Strap looks really good quality too. Its hard pinpoint what sort of watches those Sinn are but everything just works on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a super watch Eoin, well wear. Size looks fine to me but probably feels a bit small when compared to your Panerai! Blue face watch and tan (vintage) leather is a classy combo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    That's a super watch Eoin, well wear. Size looks fine to me but probably feels a bit small when compared to your Panerai! Blue face watch and tan (vintage) leather is a classy combo.

It is definitely a lot smaller than the PAM! But I find myself just not being into bigger watches anymore. The only watch I have left on the larger side is a big lump of a Breitling ana-digi (which I will never get rid of).

I will hopefully own another PAM in the future, but most likely a 42mm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Wearing this little beauty today

529958.jpg

It might be small and crusty but it's unique and a rare zakaz model (Soviet military issue)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This arrived today. Some people say this model wears on the small side (it's 41mm), not sure if I disagree or if I am just getting used to smaller watches these days. Build feels as good as expected, and the strap is very comfortable.

Love it. I think it definitely wears smaller than you'd think for a 41mm. I started saving for a Sinn 556 at the start of first lock down, getting dangerously close to my goal now!

My own Sinn is back a few days now.
    I'm still trying to source a reasonably priced black datewheel :(

I got my own returned back to me along with the damaged GMT gear and I'm surprised it ever ran at all.

That said, I'm happy with the Skeletonized hands and I'm hoping that the bezel I am currently baking paint onto ;)
    Will round out the "new" look of this watch.

I'll add a pic with the modified bezel as soon as I decide I can live with it ;)

IMG-20201020-184906.jpg

Right, just in case anyone gets the bright idea to add some lume to their bezel and bake it on...
    It...
    Ahhhm, it doesn't work.
    No real harm done, but the lume I'm using at least went a really off caramel colour.

So that has been picked off with a toothpick :(
    And new paint applied, sloppily to see how my idea might pan out.
    I like it!

Now to clean up my mess and patiently paint the bezel, let it dry naturally and reinstall it.

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to rushing things, but this has/will turn out grand :D

IMG-20201020-195834.jpg MVIMG-20201020-195355-2.jpg

My experimental attempt to lume the 1st 15 minute section of the bezel has been a failure :(
    But!
    Like all the best failures, I've learned quite a bit :)
    The premixed lume I have, is fine for dial and hand but not at all suitable for anything external or tactile.
    Baking it!? Don't :pac:
    Turns it into miserable caramel shíte and it is far too gummy for easy recessed application.

I think the best option might be a matte white enamel with luminous powder added rather than the syringe of eBay shíte I have.

This morning was spent with a toothpick and razor removing the failed experiment.
    I think I've inflicted enough design blasphemy upon this warhorse for a while and it'll stay as is until at least after Xmas when I hope to be able to return to a black datewheel.

That said, the white is kinda growing on me ;)

MVIMG-20201021-085143.jpg IMG-20201021-090106.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you could get the lume as a powder you could mix it into a water clear epoxy and that would yield a finish suitable for an external bezel.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you could get the lume as a powder you could mix it into a water clear epoxy and that would yield a finish suitable for an external bezel.

Legend! That may well be what I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shano76

That is a beautiful watch, Eoin. Well wear. The 104 is on my hit list. I'm in Munich around Chirstmas every year (or, at least I used to be!!) to visit family & I was planning to pick one up while there this year. That's not going to happen now, obviously, so will probably hold out til next year.

I flip/flop between the black dial & your blue sunburst. Have you had the opportunity to try both or did you just go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shano76 wrote: »
    T Have you had the opportunity to try both or did you just go for it?

like most of the longer tenured posters in here, id be amazed if it wasnt the latter :pac:

shano76 wrote: »
    That is a beautiful watch, Eoin. Well wear. The 104 is on my hit list. I'm in Munich around Chirstmas every year (or, at least I used to be!!) to visit family & I was planning to pick one up while there this year. That's not going to happen now, obviously, so will probably hold out til next year.

I flip/flop between the black dial & your blue sunburst. Have you had the opportunity to try both or did you just go for it?

I just went with it. I wanted something that didn't have a black dial, so it was between this and the white version - and the sunburst dial won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-21-at-11-08-11.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    Legend! That may well be what I try.
    +1 to cnocbui's suggestion. That's what I've done with lume in the past. Get the powered stuff and you can add whatever carrier water or oil based or epoxy you like and can tint it with watercolours(teeny amounts, the higher quality the better) for any lume matching for vintage stuff, or the vintage effect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Drinking coffee waiting for the bank holiday to get here

5uE871kl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Tisell explorer homage really is an incredible watch for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Having booked tomorrow off, was only this morning I realised Monday was a bank holiday. So much time for activities...

Anyway, begone office/bedroom.

530183.jpg

I'll use my time learning how to embed images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

i just use ibb image hosting.. upload from phone.. gives you bbcode full linked url links and paste into post..

Screenshot-20201022-162540.png

PXL-20201022-152343645.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement