Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Wibbs,
    You have hilariously eccentric taste in watches. God, those yokes are horrendously ugly.( But I kind of understand....kind of. I just hope it's not catching)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh that I have and they're most certainly different LM, that's for sure. :D

I like them because there have been vanishingly few attempts by makers over the years to break away from the basic wristwatch design. Certainly not the main names. Square, circular, let's add in a bezel was about the gist of it. Rolex slightly change a bezel colour and the watch nerds go crazy. Even names like Patek are mired somewhere between the 1930's and 1950's, with the odd 70's influence, busy gilding the lily with polishing, but feck all innovation. Panerai are the same, minus the 70's and innovation. IWC add more bling and gaudy colours and size etc etc, building on a historical rep that didn't much exist before their mid 80's onwards marketing department went mad. Watch snobs slag off TAG at times, but at least they did go design mad and distinctively so and did so a lot more than the old Heuer(with a couple of rare exceptions. And having had a few vintage Heuers in my time, I can tell you the TAG's are better made. :eek:). Even "fashion" brands rarely get this radical(though way more than the mainstream boyos). Omega and Longines to be fair did push the boat out design wise, particularly in the 1970's, but today it's more about raiding their back catalogue for ideas.

This LIP crowd, being French (and the design could only be French. The Citroen of watches :)) decided to mix it up a bit and that they did. Even more brave as they were the traditional, the "Ford" watchmaker of France. For a start they went outside the traditionally minded watch industry and grabbed the Phillipe Starck type men and women of their day to rethink the "Watch" from the ground up.

The manufacturing and engineering industrial design aspects weren't ignored either. The above watches are made from aircraft quality aluminium and the tolerances are very tight. They reduced the amount of gaskets that usually take up the slack and it's all press fit. On top of that they actually pioneered reliable electronic movements in the 1960's and built their own in house quartz movement in the early 70's, a task that pretty much the entire Swiss industry had to band together to accomplish and at much higher coats and retail prices(I think the LED movement was bought in. Not sure). And they did all that in the midst of heavy duty industrial action that gripped a nation, where at one point the army were sent in. And even reached new markets like the US with the chronograph version of the above Roger Tallon design.
    6a00e54f9367fb883401901df288e2970b-pi
    If ye can avert the collective gaze towards her wrist. :D

Oh and note how the second hand lines up exactly with the markers. Very very few quartz analogues do that even today. As an added bonus they're rare to find these days. Like properly rare. Maybe 3-6 a year turn up on the Bay and even less are working ones. Of my two, the one with the leather strap is a singular one off. No other examples have ever come to light.

TL;DR? Yeh, OK, you got me LM, I'm eccentric/mad. :o:o :pac:

*Late EDIT* in another forum on here women and watches and if they notice them on a man was briefly brought up. In my experience they don't, but I will say these weirdo LIPs do get attention and strangely positive attention with it. Only two of my watches have ever garnered attention from the ladies and these are one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK slight change of pace, but still quartz and not exactly mode de jour... :) Longines and the mid 1980's this time. I present the Longines Conquest VHP(Very High Precision quartz).

11t1riv.jpg

(the hands are actually gold. Blame my bad photography :s).

Titanium case and strap, with 18K gold highlights. The finish was made by bead blasting with industrial sapphires followed by a PVD coat of Titanium Nitride, which is a seriously tough finish. So even thirty years on not a blemish can be found on the case. Sapphire crystal too. On the WUS forums a non WIS chap posted who bought one from new and the salesman demonstrated its toughness by taking an example out of the wrapping, walking outside and gouging it into the brick wall. Not a scratch. He wore it daily in an industrial setting and when he retired the spare links from the bracelet looked the same as the ones that had seen the wear of the years.

The movement is mucho coolo. One of the most accurate independent watch movements ever. Longines advertised it as accurate to to a minute every five years. It has two quartz oscillators to run comparison against and a further compensation for temperature. More, it can be regulated further by tapping points on the movement that run in 0.33 sec per month increments. Waterproof to 100ft/30mt and you can adjust the hour independently for time zone and winter/summer time without stopping the movement. Later examples had a perpetual calendar that worked until the 21st century. Five year battery life too as it was the first to have a Li battery(though mine is the 2nd generation with the standard battery). And it has the single best non radioactive lume I've ever seen and that includes Seiko divers. Lasts all night. Odd, considering how tiny an area that's lumed and how thin the lume is applied.

Disadvantages? One. It's small. Like OHMIGOD are you wearing a woman's watch small. 34mm minus the crown. There is a 1988 version that is 38mm(IIRC) and with a screwdown crown, but they rarely come up. Saw one come up before Xmas but was very broke at the time. :( It went for near nada *cries*. Ah well...

If you wanted a generic "watch" that just worked, you could do worse than one of these IMH. For its size it would make one helluva "ladies" watch that would be fash today*

Price wise they tend to be strong. 3-600 euro depending on the model. They were a thousand pounds/punts in the mid 80's so not cheap when new. The high accuracy quartz dudes have the real horn for them which drives up the prices.

*though would need some fecking with the strap as it was a man's watch back in the day. I"ve a 6.5 inch wrist and with all the user removable links gone it's still a tad loose on me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Seiko SKX007K fresh in from Rakuten and swapped onto a nato, great price @ €108 delivered and no extra charges at the doorstep, result.

2dbj9mt.jpg

2hmoj07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Seiko SKX007K fresh in from Rakuten and swapped onto a nato, great price @ €108 delivered and no extra charges at the doorstep, result.

They are really nice. Mine is almost as accurate as my Speedy pro! I keep meaning to do a review now that I have to decided to keep/wear it. €108 is fantastic value for money. Much much cheaper that the creation+dhl route.

• Advertisement

They are really nice. Mine is almost as accurate as my Speedy pro!
    And Seikos can be usually regulated to get even more accuracy. Brilliant watches. Can't really go wrong with a Seiko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh that I have and they're most certainly different LM, that's for sure. :D

Wibbs,
    Farrah Fawcett! Mmnnnn. No wonder Lee Majors always looked like a smug git. And yes - I get what you are saying about innovation - thanks for a great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

If ye can avert the collective gaze towards her wrist. :D

There's a watch...where :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ola!

Seikos can be usually regulated to get even more accuracy.

Any chance you can elaborate on this?

Seiko's are apparently not regulated that well at the factory. So long as it's under +/- 15ish secs per day, be grand kinda thing. Now we're talking of their low and mid range stuff, a Grand Seiko would be a very different beast. Anyway they can often be pretty easily fettled to run with accuracies that would shame some of the big Swiss names. Even pretty old vintage ones and entry level models can run remarkably accurately. Like I said you really can't go wrong with a Seiko. IMHO in history, innovation, design, range, quality and value they blow all but a few of the Swiss boyos out of lake Geneva. Here's a page detailing the process. . Though I'd bring it to a watchmaker unless you're A) comfortable at working at those kinda scales and have the tools and B) not are overly attached to the watch in case it goes Arseways(tm).

LorMal wrote: »
    Wibbs,
    Farrah Fawcett! Mmnnnn
    There's a watch...where :D

That was a test post to measure your Watchnerd level. Both banned from the forum for seeing the woman not the watch. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

New straps for me lovelies.

LiHQgYB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

Waiting on the latest purchase to arrive

img_m_es-8010-11.jpg

Just started into getting watches. just finding nice reasonable priced ones,
    nothing major. new watches, no older ones yet

Mainly amazon so far, so any good sites would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Waiting on the latest purchase to arrive

img_m_es-8010-11.jpg

Just started into getting watches. just finding nice reasonable priced ones,
    nothing major. new watches, no older ones yet

Mainly amazon so far, so any good sites would be appreciated

Oh man your screwed big time..:pac: It starts with one than two and before you know it will be 10 :D.

Thats a nice watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

I Know what you mean, Had two on the go and this will be my fourth purchase since January.

tumblr_inline_nit5flH60o1t5hd3k.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Having had my PO on leather for the last few months I swapped it back to the bracelet today! Forgot just how damn heavy it is!!!!

I think I prefer it on the leather!! Need to get it on rubber!

893bet wrote: »
    Having had my PO on leather for the last few months I swapped it back to the bracelet today! Forgot just how damn heavy it is!!!!

I think I prefer it on the leather!! Need to get it on rubber!

I had mine on an Isofrane....was nice

I had mine on an Isofrane....was nice

Prob get this if I can't get an oem one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121403494737?_mwBanner=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, I'd go for the rubber one that looks sorta like leather; but then again I'm just not a fan of rubber straps.

Prob get this if I can't get an oem one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121403494737?_mwBanner=1

they pop up on TZ occasionally, or maybe stick in a WTB..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The first of my 'new to me' Vostok's has arrived. Seems to be keeping good time so far.

339170.JPG

Vostoks are great watches IMH and you can knock up a collection for stupidly little outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Vostoks are great watches IMH and you can knock up a collection for stupidly little outlay.
    Yep, that one cost about €40 including p&p. A lot of the fun so far is researching the originals to make sure what you're bidding on is an original or at least all the parts are original and should be together.

they pop up on TZ occasionally, or maybe stick in a WTB..

Have one up for a while already!

Edit: Just pulled the trigger on the ebay one! Strange how much I loved it on the bracelet before but now it just feels too chunky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Have one up for a while already!

Edit: Just pulled the trigger on the ebay one! Strange how much I loved it on the bracelet before but now it just feels too chunky

I haven't looked back since swapping from a bracelet to rubber on mine. I keep threatening to change back, but it never happens.

I haven't looked back since swapping from a bracelet to rubber on mine. I keep threatening to change back, but it never happens.

Yeah its just too heavy! The 8500 on bracelet must be a monster altogether! Fulldapipes had one on adverts yesterday but it quickly sold!

Yeah its just too heavy! Fulldapipes had one on adverts yesterday but it quickly sold!

and never told us ...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

To be honest, it went like that, before I even had a chance to let ye know.

I was surprised myself that someone snapped it up, especially as I am in Spain.

Anyway, it's only sale agreed at the moment...waiting for deposit and rest of payment first. Fingers crossed though.

The PO 8500 is a lovely watch. Hefty though; but Omega bracelets are good, so it takes the strain. I bought it in a fit of Omega-love, but then found my Speedmaster was getting all the wrist time, so let it go.

If it falls through, I'll post it up here.

FdP

Don't be surprised if it falls through. The guy u are dealing with is a bit of a timewaster. He put up an add selling his PO last night which means he needs funds to buy I suspect and his watch is a tough sell with no paperwork.

I was sale agreed for an omega strap and with him last year and he strung me along for a week or 2 saying he was transferring funds so he could pay by PayPal etc. Then he just started ignoring me. I shoulda left neg feedback but didn't as seemed petty. Glad in the end as I love the strap now!

How come you are selling so soon anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Ah no. Some of that sounds familiar already. No deposit by tomorrow and it goes up again.

Selling as it really was playing second fiddle to the 9300 Speedy which I have mainly on a black leather strap. No point in having a watch I wasn't wearing enough.

Thanks for the headsup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement