Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Railmasters seem hard enough to come by these days, that's a beauty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*following post only for your geeky early quartz types* :D

Following on from a previous post where our own CarltonBrowne had discovered another maker (Revue) to add to the list of manufacturers who used the Girard Perregaux 300 series quartz calibre. The reference books list GP, JLC, Favre Leuba and Breitling, to which we can also add C-B's Revue to the list. For future reference and google and since pics of these seem hard to find, here's a movement photo of the Breitling 352 movement:

1zo7pjk.jpg

Well to quote Yoda "there is another"…

24mc7jn.jpg

The case is your standard enough early 70's GP type, the movement is marked as a GP 352. So far so typical.

Turn it over and we have something not so typical and unknown until now.

2qk7xpw.jpg

Produced/marketed by Consul. Consul and GP entered into a mutual business arrangement in the late 60's(up to mid 70's IIRC), so I had kept an bay search going just on the off chance… And this turns up in the Swiss ebay. Consul seem to have been more a "jewelry" watch producer at this time. Lots of gold pendant watches and ladies watches with the odd chronograph thrown in. This watch very much continues in the "bling" vein. Though it doesn't come across at all well in my amateur photos, to the Mark 1 Human Eyeball it's very gold. The dial and dial markings are a different shade of gold and the hands are gold. Upon a quick glance the time is "half past gold o'clock". :)

While GP produced a rare dial variant with a printing of the chip design, Consul went more old school "computer" with the dial being an IBM punchcards motif, that would have been still in use and in the public consciousness at the time.

1pywox.jpg

Here's the inner caseback also signed Consul.

Comparing the watch to contemporary GP's, it's good quality, but the case finishing isn't quite as high. You may be able to make this out in the movement pic. The "unseen" parts of the case are left pretty much as they came out of the mould and are a little rough, whereas with a GP they would get a further lapping treatment(CarltonBrowne's Revue had this further finishing). The dial quality is the same as a GP and the hands are GP hands.

It would just be my opinion and conjecture, but because of their close business arrangement I suspect it was made "in house" by GP themselves and this is why they didn't stamp Consul on the movement subplate. I further conjecture for the same reason that there weren't that many produced. The other option is that the original Consul stamped movement was swapped out at some time in the watches past, but having taken it down to it's various parts, they all look contemporary.

The problems with my example are the movement isn't working, the quartz crystal/can is dead(a working "new" one I ripped out of a cheap casio makes it "tick" if I touch it to the circuit), the battery clamp is missing and it's missing the crown. I have a working movement in one of my GP's and it even has the exact same date stamp on the chip, but I've held off cannibalizing it so far. I don't have a crown that fits, so was keeping my eye on the bay for a similar working GP to break for parts. Condition wise it's pretty good. Doesn't seem to have had much wear. The gold plating and the underlying brushing is very good and the dial is tip top. The date advances(a weak point on these IME) and the keyless works seem fine too.

So there you have it folks, another small addition to our understanding of the early days of quartz and its place in horology. And it goes to show that oddball and rare stuff that can "rewrite the books" still show up on the Bay if you keep an eye out/are a nutcase :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I've been waiting for this one to surface. As you say, the really nice thing about this is the computer ticker-tape motif on the dial - it makes it very much of its' time.

I wouldn't over-hype the finishing on the Revue, btw, Keitht's comments that it was also rough but he might have been comparing it to a JLC rather than GP (though I'd hope they were comparable). I'll be putting up my info request on the G-P customer forum and it'll be interesting if they're willing to venture any information. One of the problems with this geeky, early quartz era is that most of the manufacturers would probably like to bury the whole period discreetly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been waiting for this one to surface. As you say, the really nice thing about this is the computer ticker-tape motif on the dial - it makes it very much of its' time.
    It sure does and if any wealthy rap artist type with a geeky side is reading this... :)
    I wouldn't over-hype the finishing on the Revue, btw, Keitht's comments that it was also rough but he might have been comparing it to a JLC rather than GP (though I'd hope they were comparable).
    Just going on my experience with them in the hand the GP's themselves vary a little in finish and weight/quality of steel. EG my Oval shaped ones aren't quite as well finished as my chunky tonneau example. The latter is as well finished as the JLC ones I've handled. Your revue looks like GP quality finish to me.
    One of the problems with this geeky, early quartz era is that most of the manufacturers would probably like to bury the whole period discreetly.
    Agreed, though I have found in the past Longines are unusual in not being like that. They were even quite interested in my tuning fork Ultronic when I asked for info on it. It seems as long as it has the winged eggtimer on the dial they don't give a feck and are happy to acknowledge and celebrate it.

GP of all people should be shouting their involvement from the rooftops. Given that a) they still make a high quality quartz movement and b) they set the definitive standard for pretty much every single analogue quartz watch that followed, from the cheapest Hello Kitty watch from argos, through the high end Seiko of today to the blingiest ladies Patek. Never mind that so many of those 40 year old watches are still running today and 90% of the ones that aren't can be made work by swapping in a brand new quartz crystal, because everyone still uses the frequency they set back then. Oh and the fact that the GP movement replaced jewels with teflon bearings means maintenance and oiling was a thing of the past.

On the other hand I can see why they and others are a little squeamish about the whole period. Since the reinvention and marketing of the mechanical movement as "luxury" and the higher profits made from that, bringing up a past where their watches were just as well made, far more accurate and needed far less maintenance and were more expensive at the time(for less profit) kinda butts up against their marketing and accounting depts. It's one reason I always had a soft spot for Seiko, they don't think like this. They're happy to run the gamut from cheap quartz and mechanicals all the way up to expensive quartz and mechanicals, while adding in real innovations like Springdrive while they're at it.

Still, it does mean that collectors can buy into these early quartz for a lot less outlay than what their contemporary mechanicals fetch. Even at the high end. I mean you can source a quartz Omega Marine chronometer, still one of the most accurate timepieces ever made(and with the Cousteau connection to boot), for around 2000 quid and sometimes less, yet a Ploprof of the same vintage could be three times that.

Nature of the market though. Look at the prices the "Steve McQueen" Heuers make, for a watch he only wore for publicity shots, shots that were directly orchestrated by Heuer. Whereas the watch he actually wore, a 1940's Hanhart chronograph with more actual history and watchmaking skill than Heuer could have dreamed of, you can get for at least a third less. /rant :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Bateman wrote: »
    Railmasters seem hard enough to come by these days, that's a beauty

Not as rare as hens teeth but tough enough to come by. Bit of an acquired taste. I bought off adverts and was the only interested party on the site. At the price I paid I will easily recoup of I flip in a few years time. I suspect I may keep for a long time as it has that timeless look.

Just need to sell my tissot now and recoup a little!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Parnis Automatic Power Reserve 47mm - Are these waterproof? As in swimming, shower, etc.

On a thick leather strap (24mm)

Looks big on my little wrist :p

Watch and strap as new, picked up on adverts for €25. Apologies for bad picture quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

unkel wrote: »
    Parnis Automatic Power Reserve 47mm - Are these waterproof? As in swimming, shower, etc.

On a thick leather strap (24mm)

Looks big on my little wrist :p

Watch and strap as new, picked up on adverts for €25. Apologies for bad picture quality...

I wouldn't chance it to be honest. They are good watches but they don't have the build quality and reliability of the bigger brands. I have a Parnis myself and always take it off before getting into the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Just arrived this evening, well chuffed

IMG_0428_zpsf6729355.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Sneaky late pic of my PO after a night on the beer......yes that is a Munster sleeve you see also!

just bagged this.. Pulsar PJN273 - Mil Chrono

PulsarPJN273-1_zps50a3b5a0.jpg

PulsarPJN273-11_zpsc17f0510.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Nice. Love those pulsar & seiko chrono's. That the one that was on tz-uk? Great catch.

That the one that was on tz-uk? Great catch.

Yep,Delighted, only £80, you can't beat that

Also, this arrived far quicker than I expected and was a nice surprise

My Stowa Fleiger..

Am having a great week....

IMG_0432_zpsb68926ab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IRE505

Nice watches! They all looks great, that crown and the plain dial give a very vintage military look.

On a side note; I can't wait for my Seiko 5, it's due to come on Wednesday!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That Pulsar is very nice DT, looks really well on the nato strap!.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Deepthought, That Stowa delivery time turnaround was very quick was it? thought they had a rep for taking ages.
    Really nice looking watch, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

This has just spent the weekend in a Wiltshire intensive care unit. Not bad for $36 though I also copped customs charges on top of that.
    P1020405.JPG

The dial is an absolute pearl which is not represented in this picture (though has a bit of an obvious flaw at 6) and I'll do some better photos when I get it back.

Very nice CB and rare with it. Result! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So a couple of new additions to my meagre G-Shock collection.

First up is the GW-M5610-1ER I bought off Mredsnapper (thanks again dude) a week or so ago, really love the square face on it. Nice and clean display, everything just works. Feels very light on the wrist (I had gotten used to the heavier Rangeman), really happy with it. The wrists shots below might make them look bigger than they are, perfect size for me anyway.

CmXBZir.jpg

It then got me looking at other square designs and I wanted to try out a negative display so went and got the chap below; DW-D5500MR-4JF, just arrived today. The first picture makes the display look very hard to read but that's just the camera, it's clear as crystal when looking at it proper. The orange colour is probably a love/hate thing for most and I only realised after buying it that it matches the colour of my Lumia 630, happy coincidence. I'm really happy with it so far and will switch between the two for the next while. Hopefully I can go a few months without getting another. :o

RZQeNah.jpg

oqk8XMf.jpg

imjIiet.jpg

GE230it.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

soooooooooooo

whilst sitting at my desk, taking 5 yesterday afternoon, i stumbled across the WF cyber monday sale,

then i bought this

due thursday :D

17193-5.jpg
    zenith-heritage-ultra-thin-black-dial-18kt-rose-gold-black-leather-mens-watch-18201068121c493-2.jpg

TedR wrote: »
    Deepthought, That Stowa delivery time turnaround was very quick was it? thought they had a rep for taking ages.
    Really nice looking watch, congrats

Yep, paid for 13 Nov and it Arrived 28th november

Am still getting used to the "small" size of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My Great, Great-Grandfathers watch from c.1870. passed on through the generations down to me.Edit: still working well, that's the brass winding key at the top of the pic.

DSCF6931_zpsdbd1acea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What a very nice heirloom to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Excuse me father, for I have Sinn'd...

Sinn 657s, picked up from kramwx last week. Not 100% sold on the size yet but first Sinn and in fact my first watch purchase in over a year due to a recent wedding.

Hopefully pick up a black leather strap with white stitching for it next week.

6FCBA8BD83AB40368C17820D3A922F64-0000345144-0003703043-00800L-DB7D4C8CAC884207882882EADC8F5D40.jpg
    3B2316B8A3D84C528D3F7C238CB6E4C8-0000345144-0003703044-00800L-037EFB6DB1B744EBB038836A11E21FCB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice watch! Classy, clean & simple, understated.
    sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hopefully pick up a black leather strap with white stitching

I like your style :cool:

Well, I finally traded the Stowa (and some cash my way)

I was looking for a PRS-20 Italian.

I got a mail from a chap who had an PRS-20 LE (only 100 made)

He then took the LE and added a bit more to it, changed the hands to gold ( were blue) and changed the crown to be a push / pull one.

I thinks its lovely and its 44mm but only 11mm high and not to everyones liking...

What ya all think

PRS20LE_zpsb6f93519.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps9d9ab197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Looks like a nice upgrade to a lovely watch DT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Looks really nice and the person you traded with got a beauty too, happy days all round hopefully.

Yea..really happy, building up the fund to buy a Stowa Flyer T01 Testaf next year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Really like that, well done. Sterile dial looks good. Gimme a shout if you're thinking of flipping!

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    Really like that, well done. Sterile dial looks good. Gimme a shout if you're thinking of flipping!

will do...May happen once I get near to the Testaf price or ProjectColossus decides to sell his GMT one

DT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement