Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    I just love that Sinn on so many levels E.

So I've been wearing this for the last 2 weeks, and it's really grown on me. It seemed small at first (and smaller again in the box), but I've adjusted to it now. No doubt it'll feel small again when I put back on my 46mm watch, but that's bound to happen. It's made me re-think my 42mm minimum rule anyway.

I think they've a different type of bezel-turny-thingy in it, and the action feels less precise than some of the subs I've owned, but I think that's only because there's not as much of a "click" - I've no doubt it's very well engineered.

Only downsides are the average lume, and the tiny date window. I'd rather no date at all, or a much more visible one to fit in with the whole functional feel of the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Eoin wrote: »
    So I've been wearing this for the last 2 weeks, and it's really grown on me. It seemed small at first (and smaller again in the box), but I've adjusted to it now. No doubt it'll feel small again when I put back on my 46mm watch, but that's bound to happen. It's made me re-think my 42mm minimum rule anyway.

I think they've a different type of bezel-turny-thingy in it, and the action feels less precise than some of the subs I've owned, but I think that's only because there's not as much of a "click" - I've no doubt it's very well engineered.

Only downsides are the average lume, and the tiny date window. I'd rather no date at all, or a much more visible one to fit in with the whole functional feel of the watch.

I'm going from a 45.5 PO to the 40mm 856 tonight, I'm hoping it doesn't look tiny as my dad already has his eyes on it and has been wearing it all week!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm going from a 45.5 PO to the 40mm 856 tonight, I'm hoping it doesn't look tiny as my dad already has his eyes on it and has been wearing it all week!

It will definitely look tiny at first (The 856 looks like it doesn't sit too high either), just stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The watch fairy has been. And it has delivered a Parnis big pilot :D

Hacking and hand winding. The automatic rotor is a bit on the noisy side. But for €80 delivered I'm not one to complain.

oNHyGBv.jpg

Excuse the phone pic and the grubby crystal.

5BB7A9F4-74FF-4C70-84FB-B5C0C397AE2A_zpsydupwsg2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That's lovely nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

evRILvs.jpg?1

Bought an skx009 to put a blank bezel and steel bracelet on. Apologies for grubby pics but I am happy with the results. Getting the bracelet on was a pain.

epHsbEC.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

That looks fantastic. If ever selling ot drop me a pm.

That looks great rwbug. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it took you about an hour start to finish to change that over :D

That is really, really cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I have had a few watches when I was younger but at 29 now I haven't wore one for over a decade. Girlfriend got me this Fossil at Christmas. I love it and wear it everyday. Bow on my want list is either a Tissot or Stowa with black leather strap and white face. Not a chronograph. That would be for more formal wear.

Well this is the Fossil. What do you think?
    FS4545_main?$fossilResponsive_pdpdetail$

damianmcr wrote: »

I like it. I guess many wis will look down on a Fossil as a fashion watch, but with a lot of them having Miyota or Seiko internals they can also be very good watches. I love the look of their 60's inspired bulkhead.

VZVLPAp.jpg?1

That looks great rwbug. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it took you about an hour start to finish to change that over :D

lol - it took about an hour, a broken Bergeon tool and a lot of swear words to get that bracelet on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I personally like Fossil myself. Put it another way a "fashion" brand like Fossil have more design innovation in one season of their output than the Swiss big boys usually have in a decade. The latter - beyond hyper expensive one off specials - play it safe(ohhhh Rolex changed a bezel colour. Slightly), or raid their historical back catalogue for ideas(Yep I'm looking at you Longines).

To be fair, because of economies of scale and cheaper production the fashion brands can afford to get a bit funky with design, whereas the big Swiss brands are no longer in the position to do that. Their customers would likely rebel. They're more about "authenticity" and "tradition" these days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I personally like Fossil myself. Put it another way a "fashion" brand like Fossil have more design innovation in one season of their output than the Swiss big boys usually have in a decade. The latter - beyond hyper expensive one off specials - play it safe(ohhhh Rolex changed a bezel colour. Slightly), or raid their historical back catalogue for ideas(Yep I'm looking at you Longines).

To be fair, because of economies of scale and cheaper production the fashion brands can afford to get a bit funky with design, whereas the big Swiss brands are no longer in the position to do that. Their customers would likely rebel. They're more about "authenticity" and "tradition" these days.

If this chart is accurate then I understand Rolex etc not being too innovative at present, they are printing money with the same old designs.

eJrLR1a.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True enough RW. A few reasons for that. Mechanicals have higher margins in the first place and most of the Swiss makers have increased their prices over the last ten years. One year Zenith threw a 30 odd %(IIRC) RRP increase across the board on their existing lines, there were rumbles, but the market accepted it and sales didn't falter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I have had a few watches when I was younger but at 29 now I haven't wore one for over a decade. Girlfriend got me this Fossil at Christmas. I love it and wear it everyday. Bow on my want list is either a Tissot or Stowa with black leather strap and white face. Not a chronograph. That would be for more formal wear.

Lovely watch, but be careful, it is an addiction ;)

I was the exact same, hadn't worn a watch in years but wearing a step tracker accustomed my wrist to having something on it again so dug out an old watch, wore it for a couple of weeks and got back into the habit of checking my wrist for the time and not going to my pocket for the phone. As of today I've bought 4 watches over the last month. All online so still waiting on 3 of them. Currently wearing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

That looks great Northern Monkey, you've confused me, I was set on a 356 but I'm torn now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

rwbug wrote: »
    lol - it took about an hour, a broken Bergeon tool and a lot of swear words to get that bracelet on.

Don't remind me about broken Bergeon tools. Have just moved to London, and sensibly brought my strap changing tool (and maybe less sensibly no screwdriver). Tension was already getting pretty high in the household when the TV only arrived last Friday an hour before kick off for start of 6 Nations. I then discovered at 7pm that I needed a screwdriver to attach the TV to it's stand. Think you can guess the rest.... (including that I ended up watching the match on iplayer using pay as you go data) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Bought an skx009 to put a blank bezel and steel bracelet on. Apologies for grubby pics but I am happy with the results. Getting the bracelet on was a pain.

@rwbug - can I ask where you got the blank bezel? Much work swapping it out?

• Advertisement

@rwbug - can I ask where you got the blank bezel? Much work swapping it out?

I got it from Murphy Manufacturing. I had to wait about a month from when I mailed them until they had more produced.

Changing the bezel is simple enough, just needs a little strength and decent case opener tool (or a strong knife) to pry up the bezel.

Tutorial here

cmyk wrote: »
    That looks great Northern Monkey, you've confused me, I was set on a 356 but I'm torn now!

If you are in Dublin you are welcome to try it on to see what you think of it.

Zagato wrote: »
    Don't remind me about broken Bergeon tools. Have just moved to London, and sensibly brought my strap changing tool (and maybe less sensibly no screwdriver). Tension was already getting pretty high in the household when the TV only arrived last Friday an hour before kick off for start of 6 Nations. I then discovered at 7pm that I needed a screwdriver to attach the TV to it's stand. Think you can guess the rest.... (including that I ended up watching the match on iplayer using pay as you go data) :mad:

I can't remember the sellers name, but there is one on ebay where you can get Bergeon tools delivered to argos for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭omega man

Daemonic wrote: »
    Lovely watch, but be careful, it is an addiction ;)

I was the exact same, hadn't worn a watch in years but wearing a step tracker accustomed my wrist to having something on it again so dug out an old watch, wore it for a couple of weeks and got back into the habit of checking my wrist for the time and not going to my pocket for the phone. As of today I've bought 4 watches over the last month. All online so still waiting on 3 of them. Currently wearing this one.

Too true. I always loved wearing a nice watch, particularly in work. However I usually stuck to one watch which I had spent a fair bit on. Since recently deciding to add to the collection for a bit of variety I have added 4 in the last few months! I guess I realised there was a wealth of choice outside of the local jewellers stores.

I'm now itching for a nav b flieger A type but on a restricted budget. With the steinhart price increases I might just settle on a laco or aristo Quartz.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

omega man wrote: »
    Too true. I always loved wearing a nice watch, particularly in work. However I usually stuck to one watch which I had spent a fair bit on. Since recently deciding to add to the collection for a bit of variety I have added 4 in the last few months! I guess I realised there was a wealth of choice outside of the local jewellers stores.

I'm now itching for a nav b flieger A type but on a restricted budget. With the steinhart price increases I might just settle on a laco or aristo Quartz.......
    I've been trawling ebay for interesting Soviet/Russian watches and 2 of the ones on the way are from there, costing about €30-40 each, so I'm trying to add variation without spending massive amounts.

I like it. I guess many wis will look down on a Fossil as a fashion watch, but with a lot of them having Miyota or Seiko internals they can also be very good watches. I love the look of their 60's inspired bulkhead.
    In my work and my circle of friends there is no one in to their watches so mines is a good one:cool:

I really like this only with a black strap. I think it would look great with a suit since im getting married next year and more formal wear.

Antea_390_neues_Logo_LBs_80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

In my work and my circle of friends there is no one in to their watches so mines is a good one:cool:

I really like this only with a black strap. I think it would look great with a suit since im getting married next year and more formal wear.

Excellent choice. 2 things you want to consider are:

The size - looks like you have picked the 39mm, there are bigger and smaller versions, 36.5 (a bit small compared to modern watches) and 41mm(might be required if you have bigger wrists).

The movement - there are a few options in the Antea range now, but the main thing is whether you go Automatic or Manual wind. Not a huge advantage in having an Auto if you are only going to wear it on occasions, you'll have to set it every time you put it on anyway. Maybe worth setting up a new thread if you want to discuss further.

Thank you for the info. I still have some research to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

If you are in Dublin you are welcome to try it on to see what you think of it.

Thanks NM, very kind of you, I live in Wicklow but work in Sandyford so that would be great. I'll PM you over the next couple of days if that's ok.

• Advertisement

A few weeks back I finally found the right kinda 1970's bracelet(NOS too. For six euro. Oh yes...) for my* French made LIP Roger Tallon designed watch from 1975(they came with metal or leather strap). This particular example is an export to Germany model brought in by Dugena with German day wheel. So here she is in her new/old/NOS boots this very day :)

5nkfi9.jpg

Every time Tuesday comes around on this or on my other German market watches I do worry if they're trying to tell me something...

Here are my two LIPs(missus!!) examples side by side.

2gy3dhh.jpg

Avec the original and well funky box they came in.

Here's an advert I also have for these watches and others of the LIP stable from 75.

2je8b29.jpg
    Translation(Bad. Blame my schoolboy French. I apologise in advanceto any French folks reading).

"Our New Lips are electronic(oh er missus…).

Now, we can speak of the future.

Each of these electronic quartz watches, in either Analogue(hands) or LED(electroluminescent numerals), cost 975 francs (with calendar)**

The electronic Lips.

6 new Lip watches among the 80 models of the Lip collection. From 140 to 975 francs.

Lip. Nothing is done well without passion.

To receive the Precise(?) Electronics Lip Watch, send your carte de vistite(self addressed envelope?) to lip - Department of External Relations, 74 Temple street, 75003 Paris."
    (I assume this was some sort of catalogue? Though I've yet to see one. What I wouldn't give to do so). All this from a company with a troubled recent history and bankruptcy, but yet they pulled out all the stops, brought in outside designers and threw out the rulebook and really brought in the fashion watch before its time.

*one of my two. I am that sad, though in fairness with these very early quartz jobs a spare is nigh on a given. The other one is even rarer. Only one example known.

** This equates to around 250 US dollars in 1975. Minus local taxes etc, so likely a little higher. As a "control"/context watch for today, an Omega Speedmaster was around 150-180 dollars in the US, so although LIP were generally at the cheaper everyman end of the market in their native France, their most expensive quartz offerings were not a cheap watch. That said they were cheaper than the quartz offerings from the "big boys". EG A Girard Perregaux was 350+ dollars, the Omega offerings were 500-1200. I dunno if these Quartz examples made it to the US/UK/Here. I've never seen one with an English day wheel, French and German seems to be it. Their similar cased but mechanical Roger Tallon Chronograph did, indeed Charlie's Angels actress and 70's uberbabe Farrah Fawcett among others sported one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement