Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls are "friendlier" during a recession...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

where would one go to find a nice guy?!!

Look around you at the guys in your workplace/college/whatever, the guys passing you by on the street; hell, even the guys in pubs/clubs. The majority of these guys are "nice guys" - there they are, right in front of you! The only problem is that they're less likely to approach women in the first place, which means that you'll have to put in a bit of spadework yourself. It should pay off, though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Melange wrote: »
    Look around you at the guys in your workplace/college/whatever, the guys passing you by on the street; hell, even the guys in pubs/clubs. The majority of these guys are "nice guys" - there they are, right in front of you! The only problem is that they're less likely to approach women in the first place, which means that you'll have to put in a bit of spadework yourself. It should pay off, though. ;)

That's about the best advice you'll ever be given. I don't see the dynamic changing any time soon though so it'll always be expected that men do the chatting up. And the cycle continues whereby sleazy guys do all the chatting up and normal guys don't dare approach women lest they be treated with hostility. The smart girls spot what they want and move subtly in for the kill. :pac:

NickNolte wrote: »
    The smart girls spot what they want and move subtly in for the kill. :pac:

Very true. The most grounded, sensible, confident and sane women I know have nearly all gone for guys out of their own initiative, rather than waiting for guys to come on to them. It works wonders for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

its more about right place right time right person

And i reckon op those girls where sneaky ones thats all there you go they learned from men :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Very true. The most grounded, sensible, confident and sane women I know have nearly all gone for guys out of their own initiative, rather than waiting for guys to come on to them. It works wonders for them.

Of course it works. It would be looked down on if a girl went to chat up a guy and the guy was nasty to her. Unfortunately women seem to reserve the right to be hostile and/or downright cruel to men when being chatted up so the more normal/less predatory blokes don't bother their arses.

• Advertisement

NickNolte wrote: »
    Of course it works. It would be looked down on if a girl went to chat up a guy and the guy was nasty to her. Unfortunately women seem to reserve the right to be hostile and/or downright cruel to men when being chatted up so the more normal/less predatory blokes don't bother their arses.

Meh. It's supply and demand, simple as. There'll be a fairly constant stream of guys coming to her, and she can hook up at nearly any time of her choosing. They're cruel because they can easily afford to be.

All that being said, only a smallish minority actually behave like this. Quite like the smallish minority of men who take a sleazy/disrespectful approach. They kinda deserve each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

consultech wrote: »
    You sound very bitter/defensive or something, for reasons which I dont (want to) know; I was only looking for a respectable male opinion, which you don't seem cut out to give, regardless of what gender you are.

You also sound like you don't know any males who even own a suit.

Christ, don't tell me there's wimmins on the ninternets!

Pot kettle black, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

What are we arguing about again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

MIN2511 wrote: »
    What are we arguing about again?

AIDS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

Meh. It's supply and demand, simple as. There'll be a fairly constant stream of guys coming to her, and she can hook up at nearly any time of her choosing. They're cruel because they can easily afford to be.

All that being said, only a smallish minority actually behave like this. Quite like the smallish minority of men who take a sleazy/disrespectful approach. They kinda deserve each other.

I'd have to agree, think about it.. hot girls have tens if not hundreds of guys appoaching / complimenting them every day, if it was me i'd build in a self defense mechanism to weed out the unsuitable guys...

Contrast that with a guy with low confidence who never approaches in a club, nicest guy in the world, great qualities but it only takes 1 or 2 negative reactions to reinforce the behavior that it doesn't pay to approach girls as you'll just get rejected..

Girls always seem to like the idea of finding a nice guy by approaching them themselves, but I've rarely seen them actually do it.. even in our modern society the guy is expected to take all the risk of rejection..

No wonder girls end up with the 'jerks' as they are the only guys approaching..

• Advertisement

AIDS!!!
    Really?

btw it's real! ;) so use protection or better still ABSTINENCE! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

free-man wrote: »
    I'd have to agree, think about it.. hot girls have tens if not hundreds of guys appoaching / complimenting them every day, if it was me i'd build in a self defense mechanism to weed out the unsuitable guys...

Contrast that with a guy with low confidence who never approaches in a club, nicest guy in the world, great qualities but it only takes 1 or 2 negative reactions to reinforce the behavior that it doesn't pay to approach girls as you'll just get rejected..

Clubs can be a quite jungle-like alright: the loudness and pumping rhythm, the posing, preening and posturing, alpha-male (and female) behaviour etc. I think it's a simple fact that many people find this kind of environment a tad unsubtle.
    Girls always seem to like the idea of finding a nice guy by approaching them themselves, but I've rarely seen them actually do it.. even in our modern society the guy is expected to take all the risk of rejection..

No wonder girls end up with the 'jerks' as they are the only guys approaching..

A lot of the time, yes. But, as I said above, it's the club environment; it
    attracts certain types of people, predatory males being one of them.
    Really?

btw it's real! ;) so use protection or better still ABSTINENCE! :pac:

ABSTINENCE? Is that some kinda anti-sex spray?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whats the story with women giving out phone numbers and then saying "uhhh sorry for leading ya on" or not even answering/texting back??

Its like a fecking epidemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

lol... If I knew the answer to that one, dude, I'd be a very rich man.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

So I get a shout from one of the lads on Saturday afternoon inviting me out for a "large" one with about 6 of them on Saturday night. They're apparently heading to a certain relatively upmarket club, donning the designer suits, as is their way (Know them from college, they're all 24-28, work in very solid jobs considering, or live on dod's money, but that's beside the point). Haven't been out with this set of lads in about a year so what the heck, my finest goes on too and out we pop.

So... we get to club X and from the get go the lot of us/them are attracting attention from various groups of (hot) girls. This goes on all night, it wasn't even a challenge (in single man's terms). Long story short we were each asked by several different girls on several different occasions throughout the night to buy various girls drinks, their friends drinks, etc... Moreso the other lads, as I'm not single and wasn't mixing it up as much as them. One of the lads was even invited back to a girl's house (who he'd only been talkin to for 5 minutes!), but he had to pay for the taxi (~€50)!?!

I honestly felt like I was back in that Phuket gogo bar at times, I haven't seen anything like this in Dublin before.

So... Have single (hot) girls in Ireland dropped their standards in the name of a free ride (so to speak)? - Or has the recession moved the ethics goalposts for one-night gold-diggery by an alarmingly noticeable amount?

Lads? Any similar experiences?

They have always been like this...

thought it was commonly known ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

S.I.R wrote: »
    They have always been like this...

thought it was commonly known ?? :rolleyes:

Yeah they have always been like this.....BEWARE!!!

ABSTINENCE? Is that some kinda anti-sex spray?:D
    Exactly!!!!! Thats an idea for these recession times :)
    Whats the story with women giving out phone numbers and then saying "uhhh sorry for leading ya on" or not even answering/texting back??

Ah i don't understand that either, it's like lads collecting your number but never calling ya:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Exactly!!!!! Thats an idea for these recession times :)

Ah i don't understand that either, it's like lads collecting your number but never calling ya:rolleyes:

This happens 90% of the time because the beer goggles have worn off, they've seen photos from the night capturing the "fox" they got on so well with, or their mates have steered them right in their now-sober mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Or you just dont have a bit of chemistry between ya.

While a few drinks can get you thinking you do, the cold light of day is an unforgiving mistress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm amazed you didn't use your incredible PUA skills on these wanton sluts, consultech. A few pedestals just waiting for your super-cool, manly pick up techniques..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    so girls actually come up to guys and say "will you buy me a drink?" and flash them a smile??? i don't really believe this tbh.

happened to me before, in down under (is it still clalled that or is it uncle toms now?) - some bint at the bar, quite well on...despite the fact my lady friend was standing on my other side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

If you're willing to buy random girls drinks just cos they ask you to, then you can't accuse them of being bitches/gold diggers etc.

You also cannot 'expect' anything cos you bought a girl a drink.

I have never in my life asked a guy to just buy me a drink. I'll buy my own, thanks. Reason being, I would not be on a night out if I couldn't afford to be. And the second reason is, guys think they have an entitlement to your number/a kiss/shag just cos they bought you a drink... If you don't give up any of the 3 things, then you're a bitch. So I do not accept drinks that may be bought for me on nights out now unless I know the person.

Lads - if you're silly enough to throw your cash around women in nightclubs, then you deserve all you get... or not as the case may be...

Some think that that will give them a chance of getting the woman into bed - err..... so basically you're throwing 'money at the problem' so to speak. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Trí wrote: »
    If you're willing to buy random girls drinks just cos they ask you to, then you can't accuse them of being bitches/gold diggers etc.

You also cannot 'expect' anything cos you bought a girl a drink.

I have never in my life asked a guy to just buy me a drink. I'll buy my own, thanks. Reason being, I would not be on a night out if I couldn't afford to be. And the second reason is, guys think they have an entitlement to your number/a kiss/shag just cos they bought you a drink... If you don't give up any of the 3 things, then you're a bitch. So I do not accept drinks that may be bought for me on nights out now unless I know the person.

Lads - if you're silly enough to throw your cash around women in nightclubs, then you deserve all you get... or not as the case may be...

Some think that that will give them a chance of getting the woman into bed - err..... so basically you're throwing 'money at the problem' so to speak. LOL.

It doesn't excuse the fact that when these birds are doing is wrong anyway. you souldn't lead someone on for the sake of getting booze. So I agree it's foolish to buy someone you don't know a drink if they ask, I also think that women who pull this manouver are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Buying girls loads of drinks in order to score them is gay.

Would that not be buying boys loads of drinks in order to score them is gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Wagon wrote: »
    It doesn't excuse the fact that when these birds are doing is wrong anyway. you souldn't lead someone on for the sake of getting booze. So I agree it's foolish to buy someone you don't know a drink if they ask, I also think that women who pull this manouver are worse.

I agree with you. But girls are keep going to do this if men are willing to cough up.

Boys - keep your wallets in your pockets. It shouldn't take you buying drinks to get the girl anyway. If she doesn't like you for your handsome good looks and winning personality, than she's not worth a sh1te.

And if a girl won't even entertain you until you buy her a drink... guess what? You've gone after the wrong girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you're not ugly and a sociable enough person it's simple enough to score in dublin on a night out.

Feck, I assumed it was just a difficult task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Trí wrote: »
    I agree with you. But girls are keep going to do this if men are willing to cough up.

Boys - keep your wallets in your pockets. It shouldn't take you buying drinks to get the girl anyway. If she doesn't like you for your handsome good looks and winning personality, than she's not worth a sh1te.

And if a girl won't even entertain you until you buy her a drink... guess what? You've gone after the wrong girl.

Best advice I've heard here in a long time.

This happens 90% of the time because the beer goggles have worn off, they've seen photos from the night capturing the "fox" they got on so well with, or their mates have steered them right in their now-sober mind.
    It works both ways ;)

Life is just a vicious circle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

Its classic flaking.. i'm guessing most of these girls are girls you've met in a club and had a quick dance / snog.. problem is your both prob had a few drinks and it's a case of buyers remorse for the girl where she committed to giving you her number too early and then wakes up the next day and realises she's nothing in common or she'll get negative stigma from her mates "your not seriously meeting that guy again, he was so hammered" etc etc

Always find the best thing is try to get the know the girl, see what she's interested in, see if there's something you really have in common and arrange to meet up again on that basis.. usually helps when your not hammered!

Other good thing is to say something along the lines of "if i take your number how do i know your not just gonna flake on me" if you've got on well enough that night it'll lessen the flaking when you do call..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Easy girls are easy in easy girl shocker.

Advertisement