Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls are "friendlier" during a recession...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

consultech wrote: »
    So I get a shout from one of the lads on Saturday afternoon inviting me out for a "large" one with about 6 of them on Saturday night. They're apparently heading to a certain relatively upmarket club, donning the designer suits, as is their way (Know them from college, they're all 24-28, work in very solid jobs considering, or live on dod's money, but that's beside the point). Haven't been out with this set of lads in about a year so what the heck, my finest goes on too and out we pop.

So... we get to club X and from the get go the lot of us/them are attracting attention from various groups of (hot) girls. This goes on all night, it wasn't even a challenge (in single man's terms). Long story short we were each asked by several different girls on several different occasions throughout the night to buy various girls drinks, their friends drinks, etc... Moreso the other lads, as I'm not single and wasn't mixing it up as much as them. One of the lads was even invited back to a girl's house (who he'd only been talkin to for 5 minutes!), but he had to pay for the taxi (~€50)!?!

I honestly felt like I was back in that Phuket gogo bar at times, I haven't seen anything like this in Dublin before.

So... Have single (hot) girls in Ireland dropped their standards in the name of a free ride (so to speak)? - Or has the recession moved the ethics goalposts for one-night gold-diggery by an alarmingly noticeable amount?

Lads? Any similar experiences?

I started to take this post seriously until I saw that you guys got taken for a ride by a bunch of slappers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I make it a rule never to buy women drinks. Rarely have in the past. I wouldnt buy a complete stranger of a bloke drinks either so I dont see the point in doing so with a complete stranger of a woman. It feels too much like a bribe to me. "Here, I dont know you, but I want to get into your knickers. Here's a drink to keep you around while I do my funky thang. Well you did accept a drink from me so...". Ehhh no. If Im getting on with someone and am heading to the bar, I'll include her in the request for drinks, but that's about it. Actually watching some men do it of a night out looks kinda desperate to me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Guys who buy women drinks are suckers at best, pathetic losers at worst. Women who go to pubs or clubs expecting men to pay for their drinks are gold diggers at best, whores at worst. Always funny to see it though. The pathetic, helpless, naive nature of people on a Saturday night out will never cease to be a source of amusement for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

I personally don't make a habit of wearing a suit out, and I wasn't on Saturday. I however don't see a problem with it, seen as we had been to dinner etc too.

Mmmmmmmmmm guys in suits...

If you put identical twins in a club and one was in a suit and the other was in jeans and a shirt, I'd be more likely to go for the one in the suit - for the simple reason that guys in suits are hot!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Ah jeez, yis are taking this way OTT... I don't have a problem buying drinks for guys and i am a girl... It's only a drink... the person doesn't have to chat with you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Mmmmmmmmmm guys in suits...

If you put identical twins in a club and one was in a suit and the other was in jeans and a shirt, I'd be more likely to go for the one in the suit - for the simple reason that guys in suits are hot!!! :P

This chap will wear a suit AND buy you booze, hows that for a Brucey Bonus!

vinylbomb wrote: »
    This chap will wear a suit AND buy you booze, hows that for a Brucey Bonus!

Oooh sounds like a winner! Though I can buy my own drink...

I find it odd if a guy doesn't offer to buy me a drink and we've been chatting for a while..... it would just seem rude if he was to go to the bar and just buy a drink for himself so I guess in that case I would expect him to at least offer me a drink... though I would be more than happy to buy the next one..

So Consultech... throw on the suit later and you can buy me a drink!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Hot, haven't met anyone yet...:pac:
    May be for your taste they are hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

NickNolte wrote: »
    Guys who buy women drinks are suckers at best, pathetic losers at worst. Women who go to pubs or clubs expecting men to pay for their drinks are gold diggers at best, whores at worst. Always funny to see it though. The pathetic, helpless, naive nature of people on a Saturday night out will never cease to be a source of amusement for me.

I gotta admit, I love watching some sleazy bastard in a suit getting robbed. It's very funny. But there's also the actual nice lads who are just naive to these wenches and although few and far between, it's never a nice thing to see them get robbed. So because there'a few innocent victims i think the women who do this are a lot worse than the lads in this scenario.

I find it odd if a guy doesn't offer to buy me a drink and we've been chatting for a while..... it would just seem rude if he was to go to the bar and just buy a drink for himself so I guess in that case I would expect him to at least offer me a drink... though I would be more than happy to buy the next one..
    :

And of course I would offer to buy a girl a drink if we were chatting away an getting on well. Most guys on here (or at least certainly me) are railing against girls who just fart around all night, basically taking dudes for a ride by teasing drink out of them.
    Then again, to those that let it happen, well, you gets owned bwoy!

• Advertisement

And of course I would offer to buy a girl a drink if we were chatting away an getting on well. Most guys on here (or at least certainly me) are railing against girls who just fart around all night, basically taking dudes for a ride by teasing drink out of them.
    Then again, to those that let it happen, well, you gets owned bwoy!

Yeah I'd never go from guy to guy trying to get free drinks..... Though I know lots of women who do - bad form really, though I do kinda blame the guys for being saps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Girls like this are tarts.

I notice none of them have been posting in this thread.

Fellas who fall for it though. Utter numpties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Any time I've had the misfortune to end up in a club populated by drink freeloaders I have the good fortune to be unique enough* looking to rarely get bothered by them.

*ugly enough

On the off chance that one of them does approach me the exchange usually goes along the following lines:

Her: Hi.
    Me: Hi.
    Her: Would you like to buy me a drink?
    Me: Would you like to buy me a drink?
    Her: Eh.... No
    Me: But how are you gonna sleep with me if you don't get me drunk?
    Her (disgusted): I don't want to sleep with you.
    Me: Then why are you offering to buy me drinks?
    Her (confused): I'm not offering to buy you a drink.
    Me: You probably should - I'm a bit slutty when I'm drunk.
    Her: Ugh. *walks off*
    Me: Ok bye now, thanks for playing!

Love it!!!
    My approach tends to be:

Soliciting female : Hi. Want to buy me a drink?

Me: Faaaaarrrrrrrrrkkkk oooooffffffff.

Although I'll be mixing it up a bit now that I see what can happen when a bit of creativity gets chucked in the mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

Is it possible that an irish girl is hot? I've heard that those species do not exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Lads who buy girls drinks are idiots and girls who ask for them to buy them a drink are bitches.

I feel sorry for neither party.

Buncha puffffs ......

lukasbasic wrote: »
    Is it possible that an irish girl is hot? I've heard that those species do not exist

My girlfriend is Irish, and is the hottest girl I've ever seen.

Also, I reckon cheeky_gal is hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Des wrote: »
    Also, I reckon cheeky_gal is hot.

Link to bebo? Haha, eh no...

Buy me a drink? ;)

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Link to bebo? Haha, eh no...

Bebo makes you stupid

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Buy me a drink? ;)

Anytime ;)

Buy you a drink? And you're still on Bebo? Surely that makes you underage?!?
    ;)

2 cans of Scrumpy, coming right up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I dont understand someone asking someone to buy them something if they've just met the other. Girl housemates I had used to always go out for free nights and just string lads along. Fair play but the men themselves are eejits. Also, who wears suits to a nightclub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Lot of suit bashin in this thread!? Like I said, I don;t get the suits in clubs thing myself, but each to his own. As an aside though; You'd almost swear the staple posters/readers of this thread were your bog standard Irish begrudgers. But Irish people aren't begrudgers, so that doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, a lot of folk seem to think they have myself and my "mates" (first time seeing them in over a year) pegged. Very intuitive of you all, as I have given very little info into what they're like as people. I've spoken more on the actions of the Celtic tiger spoiled doddy's brigade freeloaders in Krystle, not many (some have) people have run with appropriate abuse for those types though... :confused:

You'd almost swear the staple posters/readers of this thread were your bog standard Irish begrudgers. But Irish people aren't begrudgers, so that doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is too many people begrudging the fact the you were asked to buy a chick drinks dude. Lets be honest.

Very intuitive of you all, as I have given very little info into what they're like as people.

In Krystle. Wearing a suit. Flaming the clientelle in a thread. Sniping sarcastic comments in reponse to criticism.

Nuff said.

I don't think there is too many people begrudging the fact the you were asked to buy a chick drinks dude. Lets be honest.
    You'd almost swear the staple posters/readers of this thread were your bog standard Irish begrudgers. But Irish people aren't begrudgers, so that doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:
    thread wrote:
    *Oodles of presumptuous conjecture-based comments*

Pretty self-evident in fairness.

What's the real reason for it then? I'm stumped.
    In Krystle. Wearing a suit.

I look forward to your feedback on the thread after you've actually read it.
    Flaming the clientelle in a thread. Sniping sarcastic comments in reponse to criticism.

I'm not taking criticism directed at me to heart, I don't see how anyone could criticise without making the massive assumptions of me that've been made thus far.

I can see how all of this thread could have been construed differently

However you did yourself no favors with comments like the one below, you just came accross as a typical southsider wideboy.
    I'm not posh by any stretch in fairness, and tbh the lads aren't that posh with the exception of one of em. They just put on a huge front with the gladrags and the hoochies seemed to lap it up, that's all I'm sayin. I've just never seen it with such uniform response b4 (outside of Bangkok/Amsterdam).

I can see how all of this thread could have been construed differently

However you did yourself no favors with comments like the one below, you just came accross as a typical southsider wideboy.

Fair shout - but I was being heaped with smartassery well before that. A lot of the comments seem to say more about peoples' preconceptions than myself or my "mates" if I'm being frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fair shout - but I was being heaped with smartassery well before that. A lot of the comments seem to say more about peoples' preconceptions than myself or my "mates" if I'm being frank.

Well Frank I have to say you kinda should have expected it, this being AH and RugbyFanatic not being around anymore.

He would have bigged you up no doubt.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well Frank I have to say you kinda should have expected it

:D I knew that was comin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Full suits in a club == gang of losers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Lot of suit bashin in this thread!? Like I said, I don;t get the suits in clubs thing myself, but each to his own. As an aside though; You'd almost swear the staple posters/readers of this thread were your bog standard Irish begrudgers. But Irish people aren't begrudgers, so that doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, a lot of folk seem to think they have myself and my "mates" (first time seeing them in over a year) pegged. Very intuitive of you all, as I have given very little info into what they're like as people. I've spoken more on the actions of the Celtic tiger spoiled doddy's brigade freeloaders in Krystle, not many (some have) people have run with appropriate abuse for those types though... :confused:

The fact that you'd even go to Krystle is enough of a statement.

Advertisement