Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Animally - The Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whispered wrote: »
    If there were nominations I'd say yourself or ISDW would be great

I couldn't possibly, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to do the SS then ;)

+1 for ISDW although she probably has barely enough time to breath as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

At least that is not happening now and HR and Seamus seem to be consistent with their moderating.

Well I have to disagree with you on that one. Hellrazer & Seamus seem to be polar opposites :D. HR will intervene in threads that Seamus would ignore. Personally I would love to see Seamus permanently here & he put a lot of work into the last feedback thread.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Despite what DD thinks I do actually care about the forum which is the main reason I get so annoyed when Im told I dont know how to mod the place.Ive been here long enough that Im obviously doing something right.

But the forum has been in constant chaos so something has been clearly wrong for a very long time. You are like the CEO of the A&P board so it is reasonable that people look to you when it goes wrong. I can absolutely say, hand on heart, that if I were in your shoes I would welcome every word of criticism because I would want to know if & what I am doing wrong. I would want to put an end to the problems, once & for all, & start enjoying the place. If someone disagreed with my decisions they would be welcome to come here, query my actions & I would apologise if I was in the wrong. I would even run a poll after 6 months to see if people wanted me to stay or go & I would abide by the decision.

I over queried & I apologise regarding the "proof" element of the PAWS thread. I did so because we have had countless warnings from Darragh & the thread contains some extremely damaging remarks that have now been totally refuted by PAWS. On reflection I should of PM'd my concerns to you.
    Do you think that its fair on a mod-never mind a mod--anyone in the forum who wants to post but is genuinely afraid to do so in case they are accused of the above or are afraid to go against the flow of a thread with a differing view??

With respect we can't give you personal advice. You have plenty of confidence when it comes to modding so why not be upfront & confident in your opinions. No one cares if you are pro or anti hunting provided that it never effects the moderation of the forum. Most here are frequent visitors & they read enough to be able to judge someone's integrity. People can sense if someone is making a fair judgement.

The few here that really know me would laugh at the idea of me speaking out in support of Gina & PAWS - I even stated on the thread that I had made a complaint about them. But I totally respect someone's right to make their own decisions & present their view. If you don't encourage the Gina's to post ( I categorically did not advise her of the thread) then you can't debate with them & the whole thing becomes one sided & pointless. You have to encourage opposite opinion which is why I always welcome posters from the hunting forum. Personally I wouldn't of censured our dog kicking friend because his post & the arguments against it make him look an idiot. Sometimes it is better to let these people post & leave the posts there as a reminder to others. His view may seem extreme to us but thousands will agree with him & they need to see why it is wrong.
    We do this voluntarily and believe me if you saw "behind the scenes" so to speak you would realise how much work is actually involved but as I said its a thankless job.And I think if users actually knew what went on they wouldnt keep putting mods down in any forum never mind just here.

Sorry but I know plenty of Mods who love it & they get lots of thanks. It's like any other task, it becomes much easier if you relax & enjoy it. There is absolutely no reason why A&P should be any more troublesome that any other forum. Many of the posters here are experienced Boardies & post elsewhere - they know how to behave. In my experience if you make the effort & earn respect then others will treat you with respect. Sure some things provoke us or challenge us but that always provides a positive opportunity. The other key is humour - one of the best ways to defuse some situations.
    I just hope that what Ive put here goes some way to help users understand where Im coming from and why I get so annoyed by users saying Im modding the forum the wrong way.

If you care about this place as much as I do then you have to be open. You can't keep saying that what you are doing is right & that others are wrong. We all have to accept criticism practically every day, it's part of life. The key is to listen when it's valid & we all have that moment where we want to dig the heels in but, on reflection, we realise that the criticism is justified. It's an oldie but still a goodie - "A complaint is an Opportunity".

This board could be utterly brilliant & unlike you I do not accept that there is much that's inherently wrong. I welcome any new Mods but they do need to be regulars or willing to become regulars. If they are unknown then they need to make an effort to become known. It is also critical that you allow them total autonomy.

I also feel that it is very disappointing that none of the CMods, who control our fate, ever appear here as posters. Surely we need a CMod who has a feel for A&P issues especially as Rec covers such a diversity - how about promoting Seamus ;)

But most of all lets make this the last bloody feedback thread. Mods shouldn't need to ask about their "driving". Their PM box should always be open to comment & opinion. We all spend far too much time here & it's going to start driving us all nuts unless we make it a pleasure.

I couldn't possibly, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to do the SS then ;)

+1 for ISDW although she probably has barely enough time to breath as it is!

If either Whispy, ISDW or AJ became Mods I would be banned within 24 hours - it would be like an irritated woman swatting a fly :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Discodog wrote: »
    If either Whispy, ISDW or AJ became Mods I would be banned within 24 hours - it would be like an irritated woman swatting a fly :D

BANNED - for sexist comments!!

Now be on your way.

:P

BANNED - for sexist comments!!

Now be on your way.

:P

And I didn't even mention PMT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If that name sticks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

lol you will have to resort to the Boogiehound........or to the Boogerhound:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If there were nominations I'd say yourself or ISDW would be great

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: There'd be nobody left.

That Discodog would be the first to go with his sexist comments:P

Anybody that wants to buy a pedigree dog - banned.
    Anybody that wants to hunt - banned.

Not really obviously, but you get the gist I'm sure.

Although I think I probably would ban people who join the forum just for one topic, all of a sudden;)

Well when you are horrid to me I think of you as a Cadbury's chocolate bar then I am not so afraid :D

But I promise to never use it again - you might whisper but so does Milan & I'd quite like my neck to stay as it is :eek:

ppink wrote: »

I was thinking "Double D a real tit" :pac:

DD I'm never horrid to you. :(

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »

I nearly chose Boghound instead of DD ! We once convinced a old fella in Clare that my Saluki was a Burrenhound - an ancient Irish breed ;)

Unlike Whispered I don't need a sexy name :P

I was thinking "Double D a real tit" :pac:

DD I'm never horrid to you. :(

I can't type in a cockney accent but trust me it's "right tit" & not "real tit"

I am really upset that you chose to involve my moobs in this discussion :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well I have to disagree with you on that one. Hellrazer & Seamus seem to be polar opposites :D. HR will intervene in threads that Seamus would ignore. Personally I would love to see Seamus permanently here & he put a lot of work into the last feedback thread.

Different styles of moderating--you`ll find it in every forum you ever visit.You have never liked my style since the day you started posting here.

But the forum has been in constant chaos so something has been clearly wrong for a very long time.
    I disagree whole heartedly on this statement.
    Actually looking back--you are the only one
    who consistently has a problem with the modding of the forum.
    You are the one continually complaining about the forum.
    You are the one that starts feedback/helpdesk threads everytime something happens that you disagree with.
    You need to look closer to home for the problems within the forum.

I very rarely see anyone else giving out as much as you do--if other regulars feel the same then they should say so but Ive a sneaky feeling that a lot of them are quite happy with the way things are done.

I over queried & I apologise regarding the "proof" element of the PAWS thread. I did so because we have had countless warnings from Darragh & the thread contains some extremely damaging remarks that have now been totally refuted by PAWS. On reflection I should of PM'd my concerns to you.

Exactly--you should have but didnt.You went ahead yet again and firstly reported my post to the cmods and then before I even had time to reply started a helpdesk thread.

If you care about this place as much as I do then you have to be open. You can't keep saying that what you are doing is right & that others are wrong.

I think you need to read this bit back to yourself.
    I welcome any new Mods but they do need to be regulars or willing to become regulars. If they are unknown then they need to make an effort to become known. It is also critical that you allow them total autonomy.
    The decision on new mods is down to the admins.I have no control over that and you dont either.

But most of all lets make this the last bloody feedback thread. Mods shouldn't need to ask about their "driving". Their PM box should always be open to comment & opinion. .

Mine always is.And I spent almost a full weekend pming with you explaining how I do things in the past and you still didnt get it and I dont think you ever will to be totally honest.

Different styles of moderating--you`ll find it in every forum you ever visit.You have never liked my style since the day you started posting here.

Simply not true. Different styles maybe but not a totally different approach. We have to have some consistency.

You cannot seriously be blaming all the problems over the years on me ? I have been here for 3 years but in that time this forum has been in a constant state of flux & it can't all be down to me. From what I have read there were problems long before I joined.

I had hoped, from the reflective nature of your recent post, that you might be open to considering why this forum keeps going wrong but all you have done is blame me.

I suggest that we do not bore everyone else any further as clearly we are going to have to accept that we do not agree on how the forum should be run. I have apologised for my error even though I didn't expect it to be accepted.

I do reserve the right to question, within the rules & I will ensure that I always do so within the correct Boards procedure. It's a shame that you ignored the positive elements in my post. I want an positive, long term, permanent improvement & not for just another few weeks of peace followed by months of grief as usual.

Wow, people sure get mad with the realization that they've been robbed and fully consented to it. It has to be karma getting payback for their tendency to shoot the messenger and abuse innocent bystanders.

Just reported another :o

Can HR or a new mod please please please do something about "the problem with this forum" type posts. Please. It's getting bloody old at this stage. If they bothered to look there is an off topic thread here to bring things like that up. At best it's annoying and at worst it's back seat modding, off topic and baiting.

Just reported another :o

Can HR or a new mod please please please do something about "the problem with this forum" type posts. Please. It's getting bloody old at this stage. If they bothered to look there is an off topic thread here to bring things like that up. At best it's annoying and at worst it's back seat modding, off topic and baiting.

It'll take me a week to figure out how to do it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Folks any and all issues with Moderating should be discussed in a dedicated Feedback thread or in private with the local Mods. If needs be you can contact a Rec CMod (myself, trout or randylonghorn) if you need an impartial outsider.

You do, as posters, reserve the right to ask those questions but there's a time and a place and frankly the Mods shouldn't have to constantly have to defend themselves.

In the meantime I'd suggest giving adrenalinjunkie a hearty congratulations as the new A&PI Mod addition, and also a big welcome back to star-pants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Congrats adrenalinjunkie and welcome back star-pants! :D

Now whats the best way to cause trouble I wonder. :p

:D YEY!

Congratulations AJ and welcome back SP.

haha the men are outnumbered. Now where was DD with his PMT comments. :p

• Advertisement

Now where was DD with his PMT comments. :p

He's probably busy packing his bags :D

He's probably busy packing his bags :D

Not a hope ;)

No, I didn't so ;)

No, I didn't so ;)

:confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Welcome Adrenaline Junkie and welcome back Star-Pants!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Morning all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

YEEAAHHHH congrats (is that the right word?!) AJ and welcome back SP :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

:confused:

I'm guessing there is a 'think' missing from there - the excitement has obviously gotten to her:D

Congratulations AJ, and welcome back SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Congrats AJ and welcome back Star Pants !!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Big congrats AJ:D Only seeing this now, thats brill, we wont give you too much of a hard time, yet... lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement