Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Animally - The Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

ISDW wrote: »
    Maybe all of the 'regulars' shouldn't answer any posts at all for a week, and we could judge how the forum runs? Thats actually a semi-serious suggestion.

:eek: But what would I do for the whole week? :eek: Id be like a junkie going cold turkey sitting in front of my keyboard with the shakes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Fair enough suggestion isdw but in all honesty why should those posters who don't cause problems not post for a week. i'd much prefer to see mods deal with the problem posts. dd i have no doubt hr can deal but as an ewample he has now responded in depth to our 2 post directly related to him and not to other more relevant ones. hr i'd hate to think we're back to square 1, there are a few good suggestions. couldn't the posters who consistantly cause problems be dealt with. there is a trouble making element from both sides that is moaned about but not dealt with. again on mobile- ignore english ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Zapperzy wrote: »
    :eek: But what would I do for the whole week? :eek: Id be like a junkie going cold turkey sitting in front of my keyboard with the shakes! :D

We'll start a boards group as a support group for the week :D. I think that would be a great experiment actually, a test of whether or not API is one of my many addictions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oi, I don't live in the North

I know you don't & unfortunately their isn't a grovel smilie but I kneel at your feet & beg for forgiveness...................but anywhere above Westport is North to me but not The North :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Whispered wrote: »
    Fair enough suggestion isdw but in all honesty why should those posters who don't cause problems not post for a week. i'd much prefer to see mods deal with the problem posts. dd i have no doubt hr can deal but as an ewample he has now responded in depth to our 2 post directly related to him and not to other more relevant ones. hr i'd hate to think we're back to square 1, there are a few good suggestions. couldn't the posters who consistantly cause problems be dealt with. there is a trouble making element from both sides that is moaned about but not dealt with. again on mobile- ignore english ;)

I was only messing, but then thought about it, and wondered that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Accusations get levelled at 'regulars' that they put other people off coming into the forum, but in the vast majority of the cases, the posters that are making those accusations don't actually offer any advice, all they do is attack the people who are offering advice - they may not agree with the advice, but they don't offer an alternative. So, maybe let the critics offer the advice for a while, see if more people join the forum, we should get the answer once and for all at least?

• Advertisement

But Grasshopper you assume that once the Gods see the truth that they will accept & believe it :D

Discodog wrote: »
    But Grasshopper you assume that once the Gods see the truth that they will accept & believe it :D

If you build it, they will come:cool:

I was only messing, but then thought about it, and wondered that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Accusations get levelled at 'regulars' that they put other people off coming into the forum, but in the vast majority of the cases, the posters that are making those accusations don't actually offer any advice, all they do is attack the people who are offering advice - they may not agree with the advice, but they don't offer an alternative. So, maybe let the critics offer the advice for a while, see if more people join the forum, we should get the answer once and for all at least?

I do see your point - but as it stands already I feel that people (incl myself) are being pushed from the forum, both new posters because of the tone of some people and older posters who cannot get a word in without being shot down; simply because someone else makes a similar point in a not very similar way. It appears to be a bad thing to enjoy this forum and when one of the mods seems to group people together because of the number of posts they have here as opposed to their actual contributions I can't see it getting any better.

While a mod should absolutely monitor their forum and get tough when needed, I also feel it should be their want to not allow people insult their community as a whole. Not an easy job maybe; we've had no comment from HR or Seamus on my question re people posting just to complain, so maybe they dislike it as much as I do?

I also feel that if ALL the regular posters stop posting here then of course there will be less nastiness - because lets face it, some of the nastiness IS coming from regular posters. Not all of them however, as it appears some people feel.

It's been brought up before, it's been requested before, I'm sure it will be brought up again. Nasty posts, off topic posts, baiting posts all need to be dealt with, whether posted by a regular or not.

I would prefer to get a slap on the wrist and move on than have whole threads pulled off topic by "he said she said, you know nothing, the problem with this forum" stuff.

EDIT again: soooo embarrassed by my earlier spelling and grammar. Phone posting is not a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sorry, this is total bullshit. None of these issues you're talking about were present in that thread.

Just a small example of what Im talking about.

Then theres thers this one that really got me pissed off.

See whats wrong here??The poster wasnt a "regular" so in this users opinion that opinion doesnt matter.Thats more bull**** than what youre on about.
    And thats the problem with the forum.If anyone who isnt a regular goes against the grain then their opinion gets a "rolleyes" and isnt taken seriously.

See above.

QUOTE]

Hold on a second.

What i had a problem with, was that these non regulars, came on to just berate and belittle the opinions on the regular posters who ACTUALLY gave advice, where these posters who just came on to berate us for so called lecturing gave no advice what so ever??? So yes, i think i was right to say what i did.

Thats the thing, they didnt even have an opinion on the topic, they just bashed us because they thought we were lecturing, so why do we come out as the baddies because we didnt think the op wasnt suitable for a pet??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hold on a second.

What i had a problem with, was that these non regulars, came on to just berate and belittle the opinions on the regular posters who ACTUALLY gave advice, where these posters who just came on to berate us for so called lecturing gave no advice what so ever??? So yes, i think i was right to say what i did.

Thats the thing, they didnt even have an opinion on the topic, they just bashed us because they thought we were lecturing, so why do we come out as the baddies because we didnt think the op wasnt suitable for a pet??

So youre admitting that you had a problem with non-regulars?Hypothetical situaion--what if they were to give advice (one of them did give some good advice) but that advice was different to your opinion--would you take the same stance ie non-regular so their advice is meaningless??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Right so someone started a thread 'How do you define animal cruelty?' This is asking for opinions and potentially could have been a good thread but one poster is now posting after every single post by anyone else (yes I mean you :p) The thread has now become one man's mission to slate the ISPCA, is full of waffle and I can't be bothered reading it anymore. And on a side note my own personal post critic has returned with a vengance on that thread :rolleyes:.

So youre admitting that you had a problem with non-regulars?Hypothetical situaion--what if they were to give advice (one of them did give some good advice) but that advice was different to your opinion--would you take the same stance ie non-regular so their advice is meaningless??

Hellrazer, now you are trying to twist things..

I had a problem with them coming on and berating us for lecturing, not because they were non regulars:rolleyes:

They didnt give ANY advice thats the thing and thats what i had a problem with. Why come on just to bring the thread off topic and give out??

Hellrazer i dont think you get where im coming from. I was annoyed that most of the posts from the non regulars had no advice whatsoever and just came on to bash us because they didnt agree with us, then didnt give any advice.
    I just happened to notice that most of those who came on and didnt give any advice and dragged the thread off topic were non regulars so its seemed they only had one agenda, and that wasnt to help the OP in any way...

Right so someone started a thread 'How do you define animal cruelty?' This is asking for opinions and potentially could have been a good thread but one poster is now posting after every single post by anyone else (yes I mean you :p) The thread has now become one man's mission to slate the ISPCA, is full of waffle and I can't be bothered reading it anymore. And on a side note my own personal post critic has returned with a vengance on that thread :rolleyes:.

Gosh have we changed the thread title to the have a go at Discodog thread. Doctor evil & I differ in our views but we are having a very civilised discussion. The OP asked for a legal definition of cruelty, which I provided & now DE wanted to raise the issue of at what level an act becomes cruel. Each of my recent posts has been where DE quoted me & asked a question - it's called a discussion & your "rules" would ban it !.

The thread is about the legal aspects of cruelty. The ISPCA were set up as the state wide organisation to prevent cruelty so involving them in the discussion is valid.

You could always use the ignore button & no you don't have to read it - that's the joy of Boards, no one is forcing us to be here. I have posted 3600 times on Boards but only 1600 of those posts are in A&P during a 3 year period whereas 1388 of your 1586 total posts are here. So your are in A&P far more than me. I only post when I feel that I have something to contribute. The 1650 thanks suggest that someone appreciates my input. On average I post less that 2 posts per day in A&P.

I generally agree with many of your posts but if you can't take the odd criticism then you're in the wrong place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

andreac wrote: »
    Hellrazer, now you are trying to twist things..

I had a problem with them coming on and berating us for lecturing, not because they were non regulars:rolleyes:

Im not twisting anything.See the question I asked.Im being genuine here.
    Hellrazer i dont think you get where im coming from. I was annoyed that most of the posts from the non regulars had no advice whatsoever and just came on to bash us because they didnt agree with us, then didnt give any advice.
    And why didnt you report the posts?None of those posts were reported.Not one of them.
    I just happened to notice that most of those who came on and didnt give any advice and dragged the thread off topic were non regulars so its seemed they only had one agenda, and that wasnt to help the OP in any way...

No thats a fair point and I agree with you but again someone should have reported the posts.

Ok, well i should have reported them and i usually do report posts, but i think you see where i am coming from now though.

Its great to see new posters coming on and asking questions and there have been a fair few newbies recently si its good to see.:)

I virtually never report posts here because of the possible consequences. We have had whole threads closed, discussion killed, pre-modding, intervention of C mods etc as a result of reported posts.

I have no problem with a degree of unpleasant posting because it's here on public display & people can form their own opinion of the poster by the way that they present their argument or lack of it. It's a remark by an anonymous person on the net so hardly anything to get upset about.

I would only report a post where there is a serious breach of the charter. For example if the post was encouraging cruelty.

INone of those posts were reported.Not one of them.

No thats a fair point and I agree with you but again someone should have reported the posts.

Did I not report the first post and ask that someone come and have a look at the whole thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No problem.But before you do--you were the only one that offered in my opinion the right advice to th eOP and didnt get involved with the rest of them..

So everyone who posted in that thread with the exception of Discodog gets lumped into a category and is at fault? Including me?

I'm increasing beginningly to wonder why I bother posting at all in this forum, and it's not because of the reactions of other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Ah Donegal ...........that explains it :D

I'll get my coat !

*Donegal senses tingle*

Eh eh eh what ye saying about the homeland? :pac:
    Anyway if we had a bit more humour around here we wouldn't be in this mess - even if I don't think that there is a mess to be in :D

Now I aint what you would call a regular but I do love this forum and pop my head in to the read threads on a daily basis. I've never felt intimdated or whatever by any "regulars". But there is this like....how would you described it.....heavyness or like hmmm wonder what arguments are going on this week. Tense might be the word I'm looking for!

There definitely needs to be a bit more lightheartedness (is that even a word cause it looks bit too long:o). I understand some threads can't have that but there plenty threads were the odd smilie face flung in could help matters.
    Like give a patch of advise then fling this wee boy at the end -->:)

Some folks do take things the wrong way but smilies do help avoid that sometimes! May be silly suggestion but I've found it keeps me out of trouble.....mostly :pac:

Plus I know me and Whispered beers night didn't get going unfortunately. But social events do really help gel a community together and this place really needs to have a pint or an ice cream in the park with their pets!! :D

There are alot of people all over the place but seems to be good few posters around the Galway area and Dublin/Kildare area. I've just moved to Galway so I will be sorting out some form of thing to do there. We will have to somehow sort out another Dublin event maybe not beers but a daytime picnic or whatever suits folks. Bring the pets if you can or if not just come along anyway. This place would benefit soooooooo much from some social interactions, all the other forums I hang about that have them really work soo well. Like the Nocturnal or the Gentlemans Club they have eating out nights in different places every few weeks, then cinema night if some new movie is out, practically monthly beers at this stage! :D Plus another forum I hang about have started up a bowling night once a month or so. Countless things to do! Picnics would be awesome for this forum though esp with bringing pets.

Ok I'm kinda all over the place with points there and now I've lost my train of thought so I'll stop typing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    There are alot of people all over the place but seems to be good few posters around the Galway area and Dublin/Kildare area. I've just moved to Galway so I will be sorting out some form of thing to do there. We will have to somehow sort out another Dublin event maybe not beers but a daytime picnic or whatever suits folks. Bring the pets if you can or if not just come along anyway. This place would benefit soooooooo much from some social interactions, all the other forums I hang about that have them really work soo well.

Welcome to Galway :D

I kinda offered to try and organise a fun day of sorts in aid of EGAR, might be a good oppertunity to get a few boardies together? If we have it on a Saturday some of the Dublin peeps might come?! Its only 2 hours on the motorway ;)

But I have no idea so any suggestions welcome:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

TillyGirl wrote: »

I kinda offered to try and organise a fun day of sorts in aid of EGAR, might be a good oppertunity to get a few boardies together? If we have it on a Saturday some of the Dublin peeps might come?! Its only 2 hours on the motorway ;)

That's an excellent idea!

• Fun day out for folks
    • Weekend more folks available
    • Folks from far away can be back home in the evening/night time
    • saves spending money on hostel(though if folks wanna stay in hostel for the night and beer after the fun day out I won't say no:pac:)
    • For a good cause
    • Pets have fun day too!

I can't do face paints but I can turn folks faces into budget zombies(zombies aint just for Halloween they are for life:p) for the craic....though that might frighten the pets...better bring some cleansing wipes with me too :D Ooooh I can make chocolate rice crispie buns too! (I'll still be eating them when I'm 80. Fact.)

Edit: We might have to take this to the chill out zone thread to discuss further?

API was the topic of many discussons on a dog forum a few years ago, and I mean 3/4 years ago. We were shocked at how people would talk to each other on here, so its not a recent thing at all, and in fact I think it has toned down considerably. Most of the 'regular's that are now being lumped together and criticised weren't on here then I don't think. I know that I wasn't, I used to just come in and lurk, seeing how nasty everyone was to each other.

TillyGirl wrote: »

Heh there was no kinda about it - you offered :D

Maybe if you mention it in the chillout thread, you'll get a few ideas?

Do you have anything in mind at all? Like the type of day you'd like or anything?

Maybe an appeal on the EGAR FB page for sellable donations or things to create a big hamper to raffle on the day. You could have a stand giving away home made dog bikkies for a donation(who was making these recently?). Music. Dog trainers doing group classes for a donation. Agility demonstrations. Fun dog shows with unusual titles like "most human like dog" (most dog like human?? :eek:). Face painters for the kids (and me). Bubble machines. SMOKE MACHINES :eek:. Think electric picnic or body and soul festival but with dogs.:pac:

Whispered wrote: »
    Think electric picnic or body and soul festival but with dogs.:pac:

Wow hundreds of stoned dogs :D

Wow hundreds of stoned dogs :D

Well, home made bikkies were mentioned;)

I'm confused about the Dogs Killing Hens thread, lots of replies have been deleted, one of mine has and I most certainly didn't advocate cruelty in it in any shape or form. Yet one has been left in about putting a chicken on top of a dog's head - surely that is cruelty, stressful for the chicken and the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

:confused:as has mine been removed........or what has happened????

ppink wrote: »
    :confused:as has mine been removed........or what has happened????

An old Mod, as in one that has not been modding A&P for a while, has returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Oh I see that now:) i did not recognise Hadook as a mod 'cause the post was not in bold.
    I did not think my advising chicken to be kept in a run was advising cruelty though. I am all confused now as I was trying to be "nice":p

• Advertisement

I think that we are all trying to be nice & most of us are succeeding. Maybe someone suggested that we regress back to the modding of the olden days ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement